Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Market

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Links234 wrote: »
    Is it closed now or do I still have a chance to get some macaroons?

I just got two for the price of one. Weather and traffic are horrid though.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

vkid wrote: »
    Came up from Clare, on 2 separate occasions with different people each time and all thought it was pretty poor. The one in Dublin across from the Shelbourne was pretty rubbish as well though.

The Galway one is better than the Stephen's Green one. The SG is just a straight line with no atmosphere whatsoever. Although, I did get the best hot chocolate I've ever had in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I'm ****ed if I'm going out there in that for some macaroons sadly :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Sofa King wrote: »
    As an adult, I felt it was a disappointment.

Well, just based on the two of us, they've failed to impress from a 6 -32 year old.

Did you ask for a refund of your entry fee?

Oh, wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

JohnCleary wrote: »

Oh, wait

Jaysus would ye calm on yer snarky attitude. Loads of people were disenchanted with it this year. I had to work at it last year and I hated it more for that reason than anything else but I approached it this year with a sense of excitement as I wouldn't have to be a trader and was mahoosively let down. Sitting in the freezing cold/pouring rain last year was more fun than visiting it as a customer this year. Twas no Christmas cheer. Stop getting offended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

JohnCleary wrote: »

Oh, wait

Are peoples opinions not welcome here?

This years Market was poor, it did nothing for us and it didn't have a 'Christmassy' feel/vibe, that's my opinion and it seems the opinion of others on here.

I've been to the market in previous years and I felt that this years market didn't even scratch the surface of the previous ones.

That's my opinion and the opinion of my daughter was that it was 'Rubbish', and for all things Christmas it's not often that a child would say something is rubbish.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Sofa King wrote: »
    Are peoples opinions not welcome here?

This years Market was poor, it did nothing for us and it didn't have a 'Christmassy' feel/vibe, that's my opinion and it seems the opinion of others on here.

I've been to the market in previous years and I felt that this years market didn't even scratch the surface of the previous ones.

That's my opinion and the opinion of my daughter was that it was 'Rubbish', and for all things Christmas it's not often that a child would say something is rubbish.
    I think the first time it came it was amazing but subsequent years have been usually equally disappointing.

Well I liked it. To me it seemed more Christmassy this year and the layout was slightly better.

Rip-off food, cheesy atmosphere (eg the green mistletoe arch), some local crafts (the slate carvings guy, the seaweed people), some continental ones (eg the nuns from Belarus). Flashy lights. Blaring christmas music. Rip off mulled wine - from two different outlets if you didn't like the loud live music from one. Slightly tacky Santa train. Blinking helter skelter which was basically just a curved slide. Everything that an Irish-pretending-to-be-continental Christmas market should be.

There's no way that an event like this will be heaps better than last year every single year, but what I see is small improvements / extensions each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Well I liked it. To me it seemed more Christmassy this year and the layout was slightly better.

Rip-off food, cheesy atmosphere (eg the green mistletoe arch), some local crafts (the slate carvings guy, the seaweed people), some continental ones (eg the nuns from Belarus). Flashy lights. Blaring christmas music. Rip off mulled wine - from two different outlets if you didn't like the loud live music from one. Slightly tacky Santa train. Blinking helter skelter which was basically just a curved slide. Everything that an Irish-pretending-to-be-continental Christmas market should be.

There's no way that an event like this will be heaps better than last year every single year, but what I see is small improvements / extensions each year.
    Disagree with that, the open plan middle section was far better last year, this year was back to the up one path down the other, the huts up Richardsons side also kinda seemed lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I think the first time it came it was amazing but subsequent years have been usually equally disappointing.

As far as I heard, it was a completely different crowd doing it the first year who were actually a european crowd, then the second year they were blocked from doing it and they got in an Irish crowd to run it instead, which is why everything had changed (and has been worse) the second year onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

i would totally agree

there were also more local crafters/traders there also in the first year. They were not seen there since. If they want it better - entice them back!
    also would be good to see if the promise to repair eyre square to the state they got it in is fulfilled by jan 16th

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so you liked it

or you didn't like it :confused:

fryup wrote: »
    so you liked it

or you didn't like it :confused:

Like I said, I liked it: 'Twas everything that an Irish-pretending-to-be-continental Christmas market should be.

Meaning that I don't expect it to be authentic German or whatever - if I wanted that, I'd go to Germany etc. I expect it to be the Irish take on it, and that's exactly what was on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Delicia

The problem with the market that I could see is that the operators are limiting their target market - or more accurately they took the biggest bucks from the food stalls & never mind what the consumers wanted. It was lovely to walk around & the kids had a great time on the carousels but after that there wasn't much. From what I hear the rents were fairly prohibitive (food & alcohol stalls could afford it) so that would have put off many local crafts people surely? The market seems to be becoming a night time social event & that's a great pity.

Advertisement