Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 region coded?

Options
  • 22-11-2014 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

I've a relative in the USA wanting to send a PS4 to their grandson for Christmas.

Are Playstation 4's and games region coded?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

The PS4 is not region coded but there are a few other issues that may be worth noting.

If they buy it in America, they will need to buy a new power cable here, not a big deal but if its not there on the day, that would suck.

While it is a bit cheaper to buy it in the states, shipping it here would cancel the saving out. Might be worth buying it online in an irish retailer and having it delivered to the relative. This way if anything happens to it, there is some recourse also, as if something goes wrong, and its bought in the states, it has to go back to the states.

Hope this doesn't throw a spanner in your works :) the answer to your question is the console and games are NOT region locked

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Also worth noting DVDs and BluRays will be region locked to the U.S.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Some12

Thanks folks!

The option was she would buy & ship to my son or send a cheque for me to buy it here.

She likes buying and packing the gifts herself and gets to write on the box. While the import VAT & duty fee would make it more expensive than buying it here, it would take away from her Christmas gift.

So if all I need is a plug, that's fine.

Thanks folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Some12 wrote: »
    Thanks folks!

The option was she would buy & ship to my son or send a cheque for me to buy it here.

She likes buying and packing the gifts herself and gets to write on the box. While the import VAT & duty fee would make it more expensive than buying it here, it would take away from her Christmas gift.

So if all I need is a plug, that's fine.

Thanks folks!

Practically speaking it'd be better to buy here, if there's an issue or the PS4 breaks it'd need to go back to the US which wouldn't be the quickest and I doubt Sony would cover the shipping if they'd allow a return at all. At worst it'd be shipped back to the grandmothers and then to Sony and back again.

I'd advise her to perhaps buy a PS4 game in the US wrap it and include a heart felt Christmas card and have it shipped, if she organised a the console to be bought here the game would work on a European PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 kevdub23

Yeah it isn't region coded but there are a few differences such as cables etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement