Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your dog's favourite unusual "snack" ?

• 22-11-2014 11:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

Other than commercial, packed snacks ..what unusual stuff do your dogs like to nibble on?

In our household, three out of four dogs have developed an inexplicable liking for turf briquettes :rolleyes:

No matter how well we stash them away, they always manage to get at them, break off a piece/layer and eat it ...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

My lot love turf, I can always tell when they've managed to get into a shed because their poo is black :p

My dogs love grass roots, they love digging it up in our exercise field and having a good chomps, it is the roots they go for. I did used to wonder if it was indicating something missing in their diet, but it doesn't matter what I feed them, they still do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Clothing labels, string and the crotches of (clean) underwear, particularly thongs.

Do they count as snacks?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Elly - candles, coal, log bark, pencils, tissues
    Tara - tissues, paper, socks

Both love grass, calf scour, cow poo etc....

My slippers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭clairek6

Are bananas and apples unusual certainly a first for our house!

• Advertisement

peasant wrote: »
    Other than commercial, packed snacks ..what unusual stuff do your dogs like to nibble on?

In our household, three out of four dogs have developed an inexplicable liking for turf briquettes :rolleyes:

No matter how well we stash them away, they always manage to get at them, break off a piece/layer and eat it ...

There is some mineral missing in the diet. Like if they eat grass.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

There is some mineral missing in the diet. Like if they eat grass.

Or maybe they just like chewing briquettes because it feels good?
    Eating grass is not indicative of a mineral deficiency. They often do it when they've a bit of a tummy bug to make themselves sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Kindling, coal, any mail that comes through the, door (usually important things like hospital appointments), teddy bear eyes, tags on teddy bears, plastic clothes hangers, bottle openers.... My dogs are very bold :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Carrots. Except those nasty homegrown carrots, won't touch those, must be shop bought and pre-washed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

Ice cubes :) he can't get enough of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

This only happened once but you know the way dog hair builds up in certain places around the home, Well my dog was roaming around these spots sniffing and looking.

I thought this was very odd and eventually clicked, he was looking for dog hair. So i found some hair in another room and offered it to him and sure enough, he ate it.

It was very strange but he must of been feeling ill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Oliver likes salad, spinach, peas from my veggie patch, broccoli, and if he can get to them without getting more than his toes wet, roots of the reeds at the river.
    Both like rabbit poo they find on walks, beech nuts from the wood, bagels, anything we have that we take our eyes off for a second, and Oliver likes to steal cans of sardines or cat/dog food, he nibbles on the top and gets the ring pull open. I'm amazed he never tries it with beans or any other cans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,583 ✭✭✭✭fits

We dont feed our dogs from the hand at all, but as soon as I open a bottle of wine the whippet comes over with that look in his eyes...

He absolutely adores chewing on the wine cork. I dont know is it the cork or the alcohol that he loves.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Thisname

My dog loves to eat toilet roll, whenever he can get his paws on it. Sometimes I'll find him with his head buried in my open handbag searching for tissues!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Ice. He'll do anything for a cube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Mine like raw potato skins - they are always at my side when I'm peeling spuds - they like most veggies carrots topping the lot. My girl instinctively knows when I'm taking cheese out of the fridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Opie adores the ends off carrots and parsnips. Won't eat any of the rest of it, but will go nuts for the ends.
    He also eats the crotch of knickers, but then so did Shadow!
    He is especially fond of eating anything my daughter has **** on. We've had to buy a bin with a tight lid to keep dirty washing in as he will literally dig her poopy clothes out to eat them! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Electronic devices: tablets, phones, kindles especially :rolleyes: We have to keep them all safely stowed, or she will run off with them for a good chew :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Meemars

Outside: Poo.
    Inside: Nose to the floor for anything that drops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Our guy loves popcorn. Any Friday night movie night in front of the fire he is stuck in between us waiting for a bit of popcorn. Hates the plain stuff, loves the salted but his fave is the buttered.

Also loves coal. Especially the coal from the cinders the day after we have had a fire, he will sneak them off to chew them when we are not looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Dog burglar has been at it again...
    I found a jar of madras curry paste on the sofa this morning, good job Oliver can only open cans and not jars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My old collie has always eaten nettles; she was half wild when I took her in and it seems they contain painkillers.

Indoors anything she can find, except raw carrot. her favourite remains a large end crust of bread which she holds down with her paws and tears apart and devours.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

DBB wrote: »
    Or maybe they just like chewing briquettes because it feels good?
    Eating grass is not indicative of a mineral deficiency. They often do it when they've a bit of a tummy bug to make themselves sick.

Some eat grass just because they like the taste! My dog LOVES grass and if I pick a bit up for her, she will come darting over to me for it. You'd swear I was holding a hotdog for her or something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Lola is always trying to eat blankets, socks, slippers, bread, pizza and cotton wool :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Coal, prawn crackers and another poster said it but thongs (specifically thongs!). Thankfully, I have kinda nipped that habit in the bud though!!

Chip eats anything and everything! Peppers, carrots, apples, broccoli, banana (LOVES banana), popcorn, briquetts, coal, shoes....basically anything we give her, she will take! Funnily enough, the only thing she has passed on is Pedigree Markies :)

Both dogs eat carrots and rice cakes but I do give them to them as treats!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭jgorres

sdp wrote: »
    Ice cubes :) he can't get enough of them

I always suspected that my dog is scrouncing ice cubes somewhere else, as well.

Edit: I just realise you are writing about "him". Mine is a bitch, so it cannot be her.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭jgorres

Damned.

She is after mustard and mixed pickles as well. Maybe, she is pregnant.

Edit: Puuuh. I just remembered, she was neutered.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Spaniel heaven

Pringles - Obsessed (wont degrade myself or the dog with the catch phrase)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Not a dog but,my ferret loves cucumber and raw potato ...o0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Ashbx wrote: »
    Some eat grass just because they like the taste! My dog LOVES grass and if I pick a bit up for her, she will come darting over to me for it. You'd swear I was holding a hotdog for her or something!

One of my boys seems to love grass the most when he is playing. If we throw the ball he'll often chase the ball down, pick it up and then drop it to take a mouthful of grass, most of which he only really chews and not swallow. :rolleyes:

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Advertisement