Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How your front door is configured

Options
  • 22-11-2014 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

We bought a house and did some updating. One of the things that needed doing was a new front-door. We saw one in a show-room, thought it looked good and bought it. I'd be the first to admit I didn't have a check-list of what I was looking for.

What we have is a solid front door with a handle on both sides (as a bedroom door for example) and a key lock on both sides also. Looks lovely.

My problem with it is that, because it has a handle on the outside I have to lock the door any time I don't want someone to be able to just stroll into my house. But because it has no non-key lock on the inside, I have to leave the key in the lock for fire-safety reasons. This in turn causes a problem in that when there is a key on the inside, a key cannot be used on the outside. So when I come home from a night out with the lads, I have to get herself out of bed...?

Somebody wasn't thinking :rolleyes:

Or am I thinking too much :confused:

Is this the way that front doors are these days? Back in the day, we always had a lock that locked when you pulled the door closed. Yes, you were in danger of locking yourself out but so what. You left a key with a friend! But at least, if you were inside your home you could always leave without needing a key to open the door. While also knowing someone would need a key to get IN!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi you could change the lock type and easily done even if not great at DIY.

I would guess it is a euro type lock barrell.

I would be fitting one of these abs euro lock as I invested in 2 1 for rear and 1 front and you can order any size needed and one that doesnt need a key on the inside which is a must in the likes of apartments especially when up high as danger of fire and getting out would be difficult.

Look up ebay or go to and hardware store also and you will get what you need.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

change the lock

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

Just leave the key next to the door, I don't see the problem? In the case of a fire the key is within reaching distance of the door. Put a hook on the wall with sticky pads.

If there is glass/ a letterbox in the door, make sure the key is not reachable from the outside in a robbery (same reason you should never leave a key in a door).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Cerco

Change the lock and get a thumb turn on the inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Cerco wrote: »
    Change the lock and get a thumb turn on the inside.

Cant they potentially be opened via a letterbox, saw someone do it on youtube, with a cranked bar.
    I presume the door is PVC so OP cant get a yale latch type lock, and while I shouldnt rely on them, thats what I leave on when Im in, even at night. During the day, I lock the bottom lock, although that should probably be updated too, to a better make.

Id consider getting a thumb turn lock, but I think some kind of guard would b necessary to block access from the letter box with a crank handled bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭blackeyedpeat

We fitted a Yale lock at shoulder height which we use when we are in the house during the day. In fairness we still often lock the bottom lock. If you pull the key out about 1 cm you can still leave a key in the bottom lock but can also use the key from out side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Cerco

cerastes wrote: »
    Cant they potentially be opened via a letterbox, saw someone do it on youtube, with a cranked bar.
    I presume the door is PVC so OP cant get a yale latch type lock, and while I shouldnt rely on them, thats what I leave on when Im in, even at night. During the day, I lock the bottom lock, although that should probably be updated too, to a better make.

Id consider getting a thumb turn lock, but I think some kind of guard would b necessary to block access from the letter box with a crank handled bar.

I blocked up the letter box on the door and installed a box on the wall. I did this after getting a banger through the letterbox a few years ago.

I can see how it would be an issue if somebody could access the thumb turn from outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

We fitted a Yale lock at shoulder height which we use when we are in the house during the day. In fairness we still often lock the bottom lock. If you pull the key out about 1 cm you can still leave a key in the bottom lock but can also use the key from out side.
    Knew exactly what this thread was about just from the thread title :D

Ditto.

3 point lock with handles at waist height both sides, push handle up to engage deadbolts and turn the key to lock. Same issue as OP. I also fitted a Yale lock at shoulder height. You just need a 1inch spade or forstner bit for your drill. My install was complicated a bit by the metal strip of the deadbolt system running down the centre of the door edge interfered with the shoulder of the Yale lock such that it wouldn't fit flush to the back of the door. 5 minutes with a cutting disc on my Dremel trimmed back the shoulder of the Yale and job was a goodin.

Yale latch lock prevents someone from just opening the door with the handle during the day and we only engage the main 3 point lock at night.

Advertisement