Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a furnished property

Options
  • 23-11-2014 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm planning on renting a property (apartment) and wondered when it says 'furnished' does it automatically include things like bed sheets, quilts, dinnerware, cups, glasses etc . Sorry if it's obvious but I haven't rented in yrs!
    Tks for your help.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

it should have cups and plates

you might need sheets

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Jesusaves wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm planning on renting a property (apartment) and wondered when it says 'furnished' does it automatically include things like bed sheets, quilts, dinnerware, cups, glasses etc . Sorry if it's obvious but I haven't rented in yrs!
    Tks for your help.

No, the minimum standards for rented properties is listed below:
    Details of minimum standards

For each apartment, flat or house being rented as a separate unit, the landlord must ensure that the rental property is in a proper state of structural repair. The Regulations require the landlord to maintain the property in a sound state, inside and out. They specify that roofs, roofing tiles, slates, windows, floors, ceilings, walls, stairs, doors, skirting boards, fascias, tiles on any floor, ceiling and wall, gutters, down pipes, fittings, furnishings, gardens and common areas must be maintained in good condition and repair. They must not be defective due to dampness or otherwise.

The landlord must ensure that electricity or gas supplies are safe and in good repair, and that every room has adequate ventilation and both natural and artificial lighting.

The landlord must provide:

A sink with hot and cold water
    A separate room, for the exclusive use of each rented unit, with a toilet, a washbasin and a fixed bath or shower with hot and cold water
    A fixed heating appliance in each room, which is capable of providing effective heating and which the tenant can control
    Facilities for cooking and for the hygienic storage of food, for example, a 4-ring hob with oven and grill, fridge-freezer and microwave oven
    Access to a washing machine
    Access to a clothes-dryer if the rented unit does not have a private garden or yard
    A fire blanket and smoke alarms
    Access to vermin-proof and pest-proof refuse storage facilities
    In multi-unit buildings, the landlord must provide each unit with a mains-wired smoke alarm; a fire blanket; and an emergency evacuation plan. There must also be emergency lighting in common areas.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Boo2112

Hi all,
    Tks for your help.

Would include bed frame and mattress and sometimes mattress topper but not really bedclothes. Kitchen stuff depends on the landlord and possibly the last occupants etc. Differs with each landlord so best just have a look and see what's there but furnished generally means furniture rather than utensils etc. Usually the last occupants Will have left kitchen stuff if you're lucky.

Boo2112 wrote: »
    Would include bed frame and mattress and sometimes mattress topper but not really bedclothes. Kitchen stuff depends on the landlord and possibly the last occupants etc. Differs with each landlord so best just have a look and see what's there but furnished generally means furniture rather than utensils etc. Usually the last occupants Will have left kitchen stuff if you're lucky.

....and you have no idea how they have treated it!

I'd much rather hit up argos or ikea for a starter box for kitchen items.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

We rent a furnished house. Depends how nice a landlord you have but you will need bedding, pillows, duvets, towels. Curtains/blinds provided. Usually all kitchen appliances but this can sometime be very basic, but my oh is a chef so we have a truck load of kitchen appliances which come everywhere with us. You might need lamps, TV's are sometimes provided other times not. If you have any thoughts about other things ask away.. I've been renting privately in for a few years in different places so i've seen everything, and landlords at different ends of the spectrum.

My bit of advice to you would be to take photographs of the property when you move into it, especially anything damages or anything that needs to be repaired. Then try and e-mail this to the landlord/estate agent as a record. Trust me it is rare to find a landlord that will give you your full deposit when you leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Boo2112

I always box up their kitchen stuff anyway, I have all my own and at least everything is going back in the same condition I got it but clearly the op is going to be stuck for stuff.

I actually bought a lot of my stuff in the 2 euro shop and it's done me years so that's another one to look at!

A few places I've rented have had duvets and sheets and using them would freak me out much more than kitchen stuff so sometimes you'll have to pick your battles if you've a limited budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It depends on how paranoid you are.

I will happily wash and use kitchen stuff that other people have used before (it's no different from what happens when you eat out).

But there is a regular poster here who brings his / her own stuff, right down to the toilet seat.
    Differ strokes 'n all.

I will happily wash and use kitchen stuff that other people have used before (it's no different from what happens when you eat out).

But there is a regular poster here who brings his / her own stuff, right down to the toilet seat.
    Differ strokes 'n all.

It has nothing to do with paranoia - restaurants have to meet certain standards or they are shut down; people in private households can be as disgusting as they please and you've no idea where those items have been or how they have been used.
    Regardless of the cleanliness of previous tenants, if you are going to be renting you should have your own stuff as there is no obligation on a landlord to provide them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭wench

people in private households can be as disgusting as they please and you've no idea where those items have been or how they have been used.

Quite. You never know where that beaker may have been....
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86939643

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jesusaves

Thanks so much, you all have been a great help! Just to confirm, not even small kitchen appliances are covered like kettle, toaster? I lived aboard and these were all standard in rented accommodation including bed sheets, quilts, dinnerware etc. Completely ready to move into. I'm going to have to shop for the basics so or I wlll have no kettle or cup for my tea!! Tks again everyone. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks so much, you all have been a great help! Just to confirm, not even small kitchen appliances are covered like kettle, toaster? I lived aboard and these were all standard in rented accommodation including bed sheets, quilts, dinnerware etc. Completely ready to move into. I'm going to have to shop for the basics so or I wlll have no kettle or cup for my tea!! Tks again everyone. :)

They are not a legal requirement, so landlords are not obliged to provide them. If the previous tenants brought their own and take them when they leave, you may have to buy your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Differ strokes 'n all.

That would be me. And I am a woman...

Differ strokes 'n all.

Something's gone off key with the quotes. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

I wouldn't want to sleep in sheets other people have slept (and done other things) in. Ugh.

Homebase or Woodys are good for cheap cutlery, delph, etc

There is no standard rule: the rental I am in provided kettle, toaster, crockery, cutlery, pots and pans and various other kitchen things - and since they were provided I saw no reason to not use them. Some others that I looked at also provided similar.

So IMHO wait to see what the particular rental that you get provides, and only buy what you need after that.

(If you're worried about the cleanliness of previous tenants ... don't ever work in a shop: you would be horrified to see just how dirty things get there!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Any place I have rented has had a stocked kitchen (so kettle, toaster, microwave and then cutlery, dinnerware, pots and pans etc). The only thing I have ever needed to get myself is bedlinen - but tbh I would always want my own of that anyway.

If you've already found somewhere to rent, then you should have a list of what is included. Anything that is not included will be easy enough for you to buy when you get here. I've moved countries before (my husband is actually originally from South Africa!) - I wouldn't waste any of my luggage space taking non personal items. You can buy your bits and bobs easily enough when you get here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭xper

I wouldn't want to sleep in sheets other people have slept (and done other things) in. Ugh
    You don't use hotels then? :confused:

xper wrote: »
    You don't use hotels then? :confused:

Hotels wash their sheets regularly - and at the very most after a few days' use.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I wouldn't want to sleep in sheets other people have slept (and done other things) in. Ugh.

Homebase or Woodys are good for cheap cutlery, delph, etc

All my bedding and china etc come from Vincent de Paul. Washing is fine..Most are far better quality than I could ever afford. Always have to rewash them as they seem to rinse then in conditioner..

Such a varied picture here and I had no idea of the legalities until now. This house had and has minimal furniture and appliances and that is fine by me.

Graces7 wrote: »
    All my bedding and china etc come from Vincent de Paul. Washing is fine..Most are far better quality than I could ever afford. Always have to rewash them as they seem to rinse then in conditioner..

Such a varied picture here and I had no idea of the legalities until now. This house had and has minimal furniture and appliances and that is fine by me.

I'm surprised that SVP actually accept bedding. Are you talking about sheets and pillow cases or just blankets and duvets?

• Advertisement

Well they sell sheets and pillow cases, so I'm guessing they must accept them.

(I'm really surprised at how little faith some people have in the power of soap / washing powder and hot water.)

Any place I've lived has always had a stocked kitchen and I've always used the utensils. I've a few bits myself like sharp chopping knives, a good pan and a few mugs etc but all the rest I just use what's there. They have been houseshares anyway so all the utensils are being used by others. Just wash the stuff and throw a kettle of boiling water on stuff if you really want to make sure. Boxing up the stuff and spending money stocking it yourself is a mix of paranoia and madness.

How would those who bring all their own stuff manage in a houseshare?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Detached Retina

Generally bed linens etc wouldn't be supplied, if they are grand - but-ick. Like another poster mentioned I box up the provided delph and cutlery safely as I prefer my own, have most of my own pans - basic kettles /toasters etc. supplied - got my own breville ones on sale a few years ago so gave the existing ones the surface cleaning of their lives and packed up, likewise microwave. Essentially if I move the stuff that was here already was never used :) home store is great during the sales for your bits and bobs. They had provided a hoover which was an argos basic and not great stuck in the attic too and got my own vax.
    if the property has been rented a few years it's probably accumulated a lot of stuff you can use, just depends on yourself if you want to use also or put it away. They're not an obligation to the LL.

Well they sell sheets and pillow cases, so I'm guessing they must accept them.

(I'm really surprised at how little faith some people have in the power of soap / washing powder and hot water.)

It's not the soap I'm worried about. It's the ability of some people to use it. I spent most of my 20s flat sharing. People would shock you

It's not the soap I'm worried about. It's the ability of some people to use it. I spent most of my 20s flat sharing. People would shock you

As well as being able to use other washing machine cycles rather than the 'Quick Wash'. I've seen people using the 'Quick Wash' cycle for bedding, FFS...

As well as being able to use other washing machine cycles rather than the 'Quick Wash'. I've seen people using the 'Quick Wash' cycle for bedding, FFS...

So?

I use 30 degree quick wash for everything and I've never see my mother do any different at home. Most of my clothes need to be washed at 30 degrees and bed clothes are usually washed in with clothes.

Some serious paranoia on display in this thread :pac:. You wont get me buying a full collection of kitchen appliances and utensils until I'm kitting out a place I buy.

Not paranoia. Just different standards of hygiene. I don't use anything in the home that's not mine, that's all. If you're happy to use stuff that's there, whoopy doo to you. Each to his own...

Not paranoia. Just different standards of hygiene. I don't use anything in the home that's not mine, that's all. If you're happy to use stuff that's there, whoopy doo to you. Each to his own...

I take it you have never house shared with strangers so.

Advertisement