Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a Landlord's defence league around ?

Options
  • 23-11-2014 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭

Firstly,I'm NOT a Landlord,but surely the inference that this womans problems are being caused by a Landlord wishing to sell their own property is playing fast & loose with the truth ?

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/politics/mum-of-four-faces-sleeping-streets-four-4671033
    Fiona O’Connor, 33, is terrified at the prospect of being homeless after she was told she was being booted from her home in Milltown, South Dublin.

The stressed mother, whose children range from 12 years down to 18 months old, is on the rent supplement scheme but her landlord is selling the property.

Ms O’Connor has to vacate the premises by Christmas Day, according to documents she received from the landlord.

She claims she made Dun Laoghaire Rathdown county council aware of the situation in July

At least the woman herself appears to be realistic to a point....
    “I’m not blaming the landlord, it’s more the council.

“I’ve lived in this area my whole life. There is nowhere to even put down a deposit.

"Nowhere is accepting rent allowance and the ones that do aren’t right. We’re looking for a three-bed place so it would be two kids to a room each. Not that I even have the deposit to hand over.”

From what I can see,the Landlord played it by the book,only to have this sort of populist codology trotted out.?

It's a wonder somebody was'nt able to weave in an Irish Water angle as well...:(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Social housing should never have been allowed develop into the monster that is rent allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Not a defence league, but the representative body for Landlords is ipoa.ie
    That's just sensationalist reporting, I don't think anyone with sense takes it seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

MouseTail wrote: »
    Not a defence league, but the representative body for Landlords is ipoa.ie
    That's just sensationalist reporting, I don't think anyone with sense takes it seriously.

Is the IPOA any good? I was on the website recently and it appears to be about two years out of dare. Is there any point in joining if thats the case?

I don't know, I know they have been making noise about the landlords obligations under the new IW proposals. They probably would be the body the Minister would consult with.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Another pity me im a lone patent give me a council house quick.
    Surely the papers must be getting bored printing crap like this .

She should try some personal responsibility before running to the media with sob stories

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I've heard the spokesperson from IPOA on the radio a few times and in fairness she could do with a bit of media training, she never seems to get the points across very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

General warning for all - do not turn this into a social welfare recipient bashing or a 'them vs us' thread.

There will be no more warnings, anyone who crosses the line will be infracted and/or banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

"Mum-of-four faces sleeping on the streets with four kids on Christmas Day"
    I’ve lived in this area my whole life. There is nowhere to even put down a deposit."
    "Nowhere is accepting rent allowance and the ones that do aren’t right. We’re looking for a three-bed place so it would be two kids to a room each"

I really despise this type of populist tripe journalism that glosses over facts in favour of a good spot of rabble-rousing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Duckjob wrote: »
    I really despise this type of populist tripe journalism that glosses over facts in favour of a good spot of rabble-rousing.

And I'm not sure what the relevance of two children per room is. Mos people I know grew up sharing bedrooms with a sibling. Were we all deprived?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

And I'm not sure what the relevance of two children per room is. Mos people I know grew up sharing bedrooms with a sibling. Were we all deprived?

I think it's just clarification of the requirements, a one bed apt is not going to suit them and she is not looking to be housed in a five bed house either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Firstly,I'm NOT a Landlord,but surely the inference...:(

What inference?

Its highlighting the Govt is doing nothing about the housing crisis. I don't see why you think its about the LL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

The LL is apparently the "heartless" cad that "booted" her out of her home. He didn't just terminate the lease, because that wouldn't be pantomime-villian enough for the mob of slavering dimwits that lap up this drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Just 'cos she grew up in the area, doesn't mean she should get to stay there. Thats life

jay0109 wrote: »
    Just 'cos she grew up in the area, doesn't mean she should get to stay there. Thats life

I agree, there are many people who aspire to live in Milltown, and whilst kinship ties are very important, Dublin is a small city with good transport links, and a bit of realism is required by the subject of this story, regardless of her economic status.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wondering where the father of her four children is and why he is not providing for them...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Graces7 wrote: »
    Wondering where the father of her four children is and why he is not providing for them...

Assume he's dead.

He may not be - but it's possible. And realistically sole parents need to be houses as though the father is dead - let the welfare system update the other parent's cash eligibility based on maintenance paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

This story upsets me on about 15 different levels but if I continued I'd be carded.
    Poor kids :(

Beginning to think there better off having a means test for the social housing lists .
    What annoys me on all of these stories I only want the 3 bed that I'm Entitled to .

If I was in that position I'd take a 1-2 bed and make do till something better comes up and look much further afield for accommodation this whole I've chosen this place to have a family and I'll never budge is a Rediculous attitude to have when your not providing for yourself or family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Gatling wrote: »
    Beginning to think there better off having a means test for the social housing lists .
    What annoys me on all of these stories I only want the 3 bed that I'm Entitled to .

If I was in that position I'd take a 1-2 bed and make do till something better comes up and look much further afield for accommodation this whole I've chosen this place to have a family and I'll never budge is a Rediculous attitude to have when your not providing for yourself or family

A 3 bed house is very reasonable. From what I have read, she has 4 kids.

You would take a 1 bed for 5 people?

Anyway, landlord shouldn't be ridiculed because he has chosen to sell. Why is this even news?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

But it IS a deplorable situation she is in. Not because the landlord "booted her out" (agreed, unnecessary wording) but because of the system and state of things she STILL has nowhere to go.
    Should she just take somewhere that is unsuitable and just be grateful for it?
    I fail to see the issue with this article, it is highlighting a very real problem in our city where families have to be homeless before they will get emergency housing. I have watched so many of my friends be unable to find places to live the last few months, privately and on rent allowance. There is a crisis out there.

That's not the fault of the landlord who has decided to sell his house here, there should be so much more council housing for families that need it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The housing list can be 5-6 years long. To try to get to the top in under 5 months just isn't going to happen.

From a bit of googling I see across the Dublin authorites there are about 100 applications for local authority tenants wanting to downsize so Mrs O'Connor may get one of these.

If she has lived in the area all her life and she is only 33 then possibly she can move her family back home for a few months. Not ideal but tje children stay in school. This option is not mentioned in the article at all

A 3 bed house is very reasonable. From what I have read, she has 4 kids.

You would take a 1 bed for 5 people?

Yes i would it called making do .
    I'd rather a roof over my and my kids heads than living in a hotel

mikemac1 wrote: »
    The housing list can be 5-6 years long. To try to get to the top in under 5 months just isn't going to happen.

Average wait is now at 10-12+ years for a council house

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

BeatNikDub wrote: »
    But it IS a deplorable situation she is in.
    ... because of the system and state of things she STILL has nowhere to go.

The issue is that there are empty houses all over the country where the LLs will accept Rent Allowance. People who are not on benefits understand that they have to cut their coat to fit the cloth available, ie to choose where they live based on what they can afford. The woman that this article is about does not seem to understand this, and thinks that she has some sort of right to stay in the same area even though she cannot afford it any longer. Most of us do not agree, and believe that the only reason the woman in the article STILL has nowhere to go is because she has STILL not started looking in areas that she can afford.

And to answer the most obvious retorts: there are schools, childcare centres, colleges, baby-sitters, people to make friends with, shops, hospitals, post-offices, churches, etc - all over the country, not just in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

The issue is that there are empty houses all over the country where the LLs will accept Rent Allowance. People who are not on benefits understand that they have to cut their coat to fit the cloth available, ie to choose where they live based on what they can afford. The woman that this article is about does not seem to understand this, and thinks that she has some sort of right to stay in the same area even though she cannot afford it any longer. Most of us do not agree, and believe that the only reason the woman in the article STILL has nowhere to go is because she has STILL not started looking in areas that she can afford.

And to answer the most obvious retorts: there are schools, childcare centres, colleges, baby-sitters, people to make friends with, shops, hospitals, post-offices, churches, etc - all over the country, not just in Dublin.

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Detached Retina

Just a mention out of curiosity, I have heard if you can manage to get a smaller place for rent that will be covered price wise by allowance (wth a LL acceptance) you may be refused said rent allowance based on being under accommodated?! eg. share a bedroom with children, get a 2 bed with a view to putting 3 kids in one, boy and girl in one etc.
    Is it True? If so would think being under accommodated would be better than not at all.

Advertisement