Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steam Sale Nov 26th

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

nesf wrote: »
    Nothing for me again.

Castlevania at a stretch, but I'm not commited.

Bought more from non Steam sources so far. They'll need to produce the goods soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

If you've not played Deus Ex: Human Revolition, it's fantastic ;)

I'd seriously be looking at Castlevania LoS2 if it wasn't for the fact that the first one is still there unplayed :pac:

I played a demo of LOS2 and didn't like it much, straight off boss fight. Reviews are good enough though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Wolfenstein for €17 is a great deal. Excellent game and something of a dark horse for GOTY 2014.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm thinking Wolfenstein myself at that price. Kingdoms of Amalur is a fantastic game if you like(d) Fable and for a fiver, you're going to get a LOT of playtime out of it. Tempted by PayDay 2 too...

I really want to get Wolfenstein, but once it comes down to under a tenner :pac:

Shiminay wrote: »
    Tempted by PayDay 2 too...

Get it. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I'm thinking Wolfenstein myself at that price. Kingdoms of Amalur is a fantastic game if you like(d) Fable and for a fiver, you're going to get a LOT of playtime out of it. Tempted by PayDay 2 too...

you can get Wolfenstein and Evil within for €13.43 on GMG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Ohhhh Rome II Total War. Now, that looks inviting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Very tempted by Wolfenstein. Pity it does not have a multiplayer option, AFAIR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Tempted by PayDay 2 too...

like Links said, get it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Captain Hman

bought company of heroes for 2 quid, good bargain

Oh and if you've not played Banished, it's absolutely fantastic :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Shadow Warrior is excellent and a steal at €3.50

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭iggyigauna89

Manach wrote: »
    Very tempted by Wolfenstein. Pity it does not have a multiplayer option, AFAIR.

I picked it up here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Worst sale I've seen in a while IMHO

Today's deals:

329878.JPG

329879.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭quinnd6

I noticed Batman Arkham Origins is cheaper on the humble store.
    I was wondering if you bought the game on the humble store could you get the season pass dlc on steam to work with it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

endless legend looks good,too bad I haven't any money in the bank :(

If it's a steam key it will.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

quinnd6 wrote: »
    I noticed Batman Arkham Origins is cheaper on the humble store.
    I was wondering if you bought the game on the humble store could you get the season pass dlc on steam to work with it?

Humble nearly always offer Steam Keys, so you should be set. I'm amazed it doesn't explicitly state whether it's steam or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

It has the little steam icon in the corner; it's steam DRM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Anyone know if I can gift Vanguard pass thing in Steam?

Can only seem to buy it for myself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I picked up Wolfenstein today. Seemed like a pretty sweet deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Got L.A. Noire and Grid on Nuuvem for about €2 each.

Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition is worth picking up on Amazon for €4
    The Witcher is €1.20 on steam
    Binding of Isaac Collection 66c

Well, I actually bought something, Binding of Isaac :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is 7 Days to Die any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Is 7 Days to Die any good?

It's pretty much Minecraft with proper zombie survival elements (and without the pixelated graphics). It's got a ton of crafting in it, randomly generated sandbox worlds, lots to explore etc (and of course lots of zombies). I backed it from Kickstarter and It is a good game, developers have made alot of good progress but I could never get into it as much as I could as you need a group to get the best enjoyment out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Bought The Long Dark this sale. Gave it a go and it's very impressive so far. Simple but beutiful cel shaded like graphics and the surival mechanics are great. Been alive for about a day but with the amount of wolves you see I need a gun soon!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Alien: Isolation is 50% off today. Currently on sale for €25. I was going to pick this up soon so I might as well jump on it now. Surprised to see it on sale considering it was only released in October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

So far I've bought WH40k: Space Marine, Terraria, Kotor and KotoR 2 as well as the Age of Empires and Company of Heroes packs.

I'm a sucker for those bulk deals.

6 games and 37 bits of DLC for 20 quid (in a game I've never played before and don't really know if I'll like)? Sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I think I'm 'cured' of Steam Sale issues - didn't buy anything on Steam or elsewhere, despite seeing some bargains for games on my wishlist that I acknowledge are good (Kingdom of Amalur for 4.99, Lego Marvel Heroes for 4.99, etc...).

I just know I can get them again in a month or two or three at the same price or better, and still have dozens of AAA games in my backlog waiting to be played. Feel a bit sad for the game developers and publishers, I'm so used to waiting for sales at this point and have such a big backlog, can't see myself spending more than €10 on many games in the future, possibly only a new Elder Scrolls would get me to splash the cash in the first month or so.

But but Goat Simulator!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Alien: Isolation is 50% off today. Currently on sale for €25. I was going to pick this up soon so I might as well jump on it now. Surprised to see it on sale considering it was only released in October.

GMG had it for about £12 yesterday, it may still be reduced

ionapaul wrote: »
    I think I'm 'cured' of Steam Sale issues - didn't buy anything on Steam or elsewhere, despite seeing some bargains for games on my wishlist that I acknowledge are good (Kingdom of Amalur for 4.99, Lego Marvel Heroes for 4.99, etc...).

I just know I can get them again in a month or two or three at the same price or better, and still have dozens of AAA games in my backlog waiting to be played. Feel a bit sad for the game developers and publishers, I'm so used to waiting for sales at this point and have such a big backlog, can't see myself spending more than €10 on many games in the future, possibly only a new Elder Scrolls would get me to splash the cash in the first month or so.

It would certainly seem that one of the main issues with buying games in a Steam Sale is this new phenomenon of 'the backlog'. If this is having a knock-on effect for sales, I would imagine Valve will have to come up with a new way of curbing backlogs, to drive sales. They do many community events and they encourage people to write reviews, contribute to the forums, add content to the game with modifications, and set up groups, but they need something to encourage people to play the games in their backlogs and to start clearing them. If people start clearing their backlogs people will buy new games in sales. One drives the other in many ways.

Perhaps a rewards system similar to the Steam Cards? This could be analysed via achievements, e.g. 'Complete the Game' unlocked. One might suggest a free booster pack if you complete a game, but I don't think that would be an incentive big enough. Artwork? Discount coupons for other games of a similar nature? Badges? Community content? Leaderboards?

Maybe Valve do have something lined up, but I do think 'the backlog' is starting to have an effect on sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

they had an event during a Christmas Steam sale about 5-6 years ago where you got coal which led to gifts for playing and hitting certain targets for indie games, I would like to see this again as it forced me to experience some of the good indie games that I wouldn't have gone near otherwise

Whelp, I got 1 thing out of this. so not too bad ;)

Was tempted to get Child of Light and Papers Please, but honestly, just waiting for the Christmas sale

sweetie wrote: »
    GMG had it for about £12 yesterday, it may still be reduced

Damn seems it has gone back up to €50. Must keep an eye on the site.

Got Colonial Marines for €3, that game got a lot of hate but what I've played so far is fine. I've certainly played worse games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It just boils down to the sales are not that good anymore. It is rare to see a big game heavily discounted. In most cases like shadow of mordor it dropped to 33 but you could get that for less from other sites at launch or for under 20 from Amazon.

Any game I wanted I had picked up around launch for about 20-30 euro. And the ones I'm on the fence about that I would spend 5-6 euro on like in the past are still 20-30. I'm not taking a risk on a game I am 90% sure will sit in the back catalogue unplayed anyway.

Add in the flood of garbage indie/unfinished early access games that make up the cheap titles there is just nothing really worth buying.

This is the second sale in a row I didn't buy anything despite checking everyday.

It just boils down to the sales are not that good anymore. It is rare to see a big game heavily discounted. In most cases like shadow of mordor it dropped to 33 but you could get that for less from other sites at launch or for under 20 from Amazon.

Any game I wanted I had picked up around launch for about 20-30 euro. And the ones I'm on the fence about that I would spend 5-6 euro on like in the past are still 20-30. I'm not taking a risk on a game I am 90% sure will sit in the back catalogue unplayed anyway.

Add in the flood of garbage indie/unfinished early access games that make up the cheap titles there is just nothing really worth buying.

This is the second sale in a row I didn't buy anything despite checking everyday.

How many games do you currently own on Steam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭Nollog

Indeed, companies have realised they can keep their game price high in general, and then discount a "massive" 75%, rather than lowering the price of the game, then discounting it.
    In fact, bohemia upped the price of dayz just to have it in the sale at the same price.

It's not bad for gaming, pc gaming, that games are holding their value, but I think it's artificial, in that publishers know people will buy their games in steam sales regardless of it being $5 or $10, if it's discounted "massively", they'll buy.
    Falthyron wrote: »
    Speaking for myself,
    I own around a million games, conservative estimate :pac:
    But I'd still buy a game at €5, I've absolutely no problem adding more onto my backlog.
    I've come to terms with the fact I won't be able to play everything.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,437 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It would certainly seem that one of the main issues with buying games in a Steam Sale is this new phenomenon of 'the backlog'. If this is having a knock-on effect for sales, I would imagine Valve will have to come up with a new way of curbing backlogs, to drive sales. They do many community events and they encourage people to write reviews, contribute to the forums, add content to the game with modifications, and set up groups, but they need something to encourage people to play the games in their backlogs and to start clearing them. If people start clearing their backlogs people will buy new games in sales. One drives the other in many ways.

Perhaps a rewards system similar to the Steam Cards? This could be analysed via achievements, e.g. 'Complete the Game' unlocked. One might suggest a free booster pack if you complete a game, but I don't think that would be an incentive big enough. Artwork? Discount coupons for other games of a similar nature? Badges? Community content? Leaderboards?

Maybe Valve do have something lined up, but I do think 'the backlog' is starting to have an effect on sales.

Personally I think it's because they dropped the snow globes/flash sales/community choice stuff rather than people's backlogs, I haven't even opened the steam client since the first day of the sale whereas before I would have been checking my phone throughout the day to make sure I vote or don't miss the flash sales.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Personally I think it's because they dropped the snow globes/flash sales/community choice stuff rather than people's backlogs, I haven't even opened the steam client since the first day of the sale whereas before I would have been checking my phone throughout the day to make sure I vote or don't miss the flash sales.

Yeah, I miss the flash sales and the voting as well, but I do think the Thanksgiving Sale is a minor sale, not too dissimilar to a publisher weekend sale. I think Valve are starting to become aware of 'Sale-lethargy' amongst its consumers, and too many sales spoil the exciting aspect to a Steam sale.

The Winter Sale which normally starts the Thursday before Christmas Day (so, that would be 18 December this year) will be a full blown affair with flash sales, voting, and hopefully a big community event.

However, the point I was originally making about backlogs is an emerging issue. Firstly, the people who enjoy the sales the most are those who have been on Steam for years and actively check the deals each day, or every 6 hours as the case may be. Sure, those who sign up for Steam for the first time have an exceptionally good time, but the long-term Steam users are more 'into it'. The problem though, is that long-term Steam users already own so many games, so many great games, that there is a limit on what they are looking to buy. Further compounding the problem is the idea of a backlog and the guilt attached with spending 100 euro+ on games you have no time to play right now because you are still trying to justify the 100 euro+ you spent at the last sale! :pac:

And finally, the long-term users of Steam know that a relatively new game that receives a 33% discount in the Winter Sale will probably go for 50-75% discount in the subsequent sale, so they decide to play the backlog until the game is reduced later on.

I believe the Steam sales are special when they have community events, and when you haven't actually bought any games on Steam or elsewhere for a long period. When there are around 20-40 games on the platform that you definitely have an interest in, and you have time to play them. That's when people go mental and 'buy all the games™'.

Right now, I am trying to clear some of my backlog, but Dragon Age is causing that task some problems. However, when I am done with it, I will get back to trying to reduce the numbers. That will, hopefully, mitigate some of the guilt for buying games in the Winter Sale. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Only 227, but a large 20% chunk of that are from bundles so are game that I never wanted but rather got as part of a bundle deal.

Backlog does have a good bit to do with it as well. Right now I've This war of mine, the long dark, football manager 15, BF4 all on the go and dragon age, LBP3, Minecraft XboxOne edition, Sunset overdrive and Halo Master chief collection yet to start playing, never mind the growing backlog of games I never got to sitting on the shelf putting me off rush buying games just because they are "on sale".

PC games get such heavy discounts so quickly now there is no need to buy in the Steam sale anymore, it is no longer seen as a missed opportunity, if you miss it in the sale just pop over to green-man and it is likely cheaper anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

There's an awful lot more competition now though. I remember 3/4 years ago you had the Steam sale and maybe some paltry niche efforts elsewhere and that was it. Today you have GOG, GMG, Origin etc all offering discounts and it's harder to be impressed by the prices on Steam.

There were also fewer sales I think, which might have something to do with it. I'd be in the same boat of not having bought things and partly it's backlog but it's also that I've my eye on a couple of games and am waiting for a better discount on them as I'm in no rush to play them and I know there's another sale after Christmas. :P

nesf wrote: »
    I'd be in the same boat of not having bought things and partly it's backlog but it's also that I've my eye on a couple of games and am waiting for a better discount on them as I'm in no rush to play them and I know there's another sale after Christmas. :P

Imagine Valve recognised this and decided to cancel the 2014 Winter Sale? There would be absolute anarchy on the internet! :pac:

There is greater competition now for Steam with, as you rightly said, GOG, GMG, etc. So, if Valve decided to mix it up a little, to make sales more of a surprising event, and cancelled this coming sale, we shouldn't be angry about it. But, well... despite the objectors to the Steam Sales, they would be calling for blood. It would be like cancelling Christmas... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Wossack

to put it plainly, the discounts werent big enough imo

last/current big one was alien isolation 50% down to 24e? it can be gotten on a number of key sites for <15e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Quick q? Skrim legendary edition.. Worth a tenner?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I didn't buy anything. I don't think the sales have gotten worse, we just have so many other options these days that they don't have as much of an impact. If i want a game, i'll get it for around €25 two weeks after it's out. Plus, i already own most of the older / indie titles that i want.

It's very much a 1st world problem.
    ewj1978 wrote: »
    Quick q? Skrim legendary edition.. Worth a tenner?

Absolutely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement