Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miniquad Racing - Any Interest?

Options
  • 23-11-2014 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭

Myself and a couple of others here in Laois area are interested in setting up some miniquad fpv race meetings, would there be any wider interest in participating?

See video below for an idea what it's like - tis just a random example from NZ, but gives a good indication:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4luy2o018E

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Tiernan85

It would be good to see this here in Ireland. I'm only just dipping my foot into fpv, haven't actually done any yet. This racing looks like fun though. But I'd be a bit of a ways off from doing it as I need more multirotor experience still, let alone fpv multirotors. But definitely pursue it I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

We're hoping to set up a practice event in the first couple of weeks in January, will put details up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Tiernan85

civdef wrote: »
    We're hoping to set up a practice event in the first couple of weeks in January, will put details up here.

Sounds good. I don't even have a mini quad or anything currently. Just a tricopter I recently built. It's a bit away from me as I'm in Leitrim currently. But it's the same as when I had a Baja. I drove nearly two hours for meet ups near the curragh. Depending on my schedule, which is currently very open lol, I may pop around at the time. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 damned_junkie

Would be very interested in this, just putting together a couple of 250 quads at the moment. Please post do let us know if/when you're doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭john_aero

Would be very interested in this, just putting together a couple of 250 quads at the moment. Please post do let us know if/when you're doing this.

Stick up some details of your quads

I am helping civildef out in the club

Been very busy last few weeks but we hope have a venue soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

I'd been keen, I have a diatone 250 quad and home made tricopter.
    I flew planes for years and have recently got into multi-rotors

I really like the manoeuvrability of the Tri.

Still trying to get my head around the FPV setup. What are you guys using?

john_aero wrote: »
    Stick up some details of your quads

I am helping civildef out in the club

Been very busy last few weeks but we hope have a venue soon

Both quads are the same. 250 size H-quads with a 1300mAh 3S and 5030 props. Both have KK2 boards in them at the moment but considering switching to Naze32.

Motors are from hobbyking, the "Baby Beast" ones :rolleyes:

Here's a pic:

333186.jpg

Poly wrote: »
    I'd been keen, I have a diatone 250 quad and home made tricopter.
    I flew planes for years and have recently got into multi-rotors

I really like the manoeuvrability of the Tri.

RCExplorer Tri is it? Making one of those was my introduction to RC, man I learned a lot making that!

For FPV I'm using a pair of FatShark Attitidue's, a FatShark FPV camera and this TX: http://www.banggood.com/FPV-FT952-5_8GHz-32CH-200MW-Video-Mini-Transmitter-SMA-Female-p-933921.html

I have a circular polarised antenna for the TX side and I either use a patch antenna or just a normal whip antenna on the Fatsharks.

Diatone FPV250 and ZMR250 - excellent quads given the cost.

Happy to help out with FPV setup here if you need a hand.

damned_junkie- you ideally would have circular antennas on both ends, using the whip at one end and circular at other results in a fair amount of signal loss (3dB).

damned_junkie- you ideally would have circular antennas on both ends, using the whip at one end and circular at other results in a fair amount of signal loss (3dB).

Cheers, yeah ideally I'd have circular polarised on both ends but I lost one circular polarised in a fly away last year and have replaced it yet.

Do any of you guys use head tracking at all? I'm playing around with adding a tilt head at the moment, seems like it would be really nice to be able to change the tilt angle when racing so you don't have a face full of grass every time you pitch forward.

• Advertisement

PM me your details and I can send you one - Fatshark goggles so SMA connection??

Hadn't thought of trying a tilt option- a lot of serious racers permanently mount their cameras with 10-15 degrees of uptilt to compensate for flying forwards - that or silt the motors forward on the arms a bit.

The trick with head tracking would be to avoid excess weight, maybe one 5g servo linked to the naze for camera levelling?

The trick with head tracking would be to avoid excess weight, maybe one 5g servo linked to the naze for camera levelling?

Looks like it will add an extra 13g with gimbal, servo lead and tilt mechanism. Seems like that would be fairly inconsequential.

Adding up tilt is an interesting idea, I'll have to try it out when the weather clears. I'll PM you my details now.

Looks like it will add an extra 13g with gimbal, servo lead and tilt mechanism. Seems like that would be fairly inconsequential.

Adding up tilt is an interesting idea, I'll have to try it out when the weather clears. I'll PM you my details now.

You could use the board cam with the plastic cases. Then use a micro servo off a micro heli attached to naze32

RCExplorer Tri is it? Making one of those was my introduction to RC, man I learned a lot making that!

Yes, it was a ply cut-out with 12mm square pine booms.
    I got great tips on this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6K4NXoq-Qk

Flew great and rock steady with a kk board, a great intro to multi-rotors.
    Still love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BrianC2488

Hi, is anyone interest in a gathering? I built my quadcopter last summer and I got into FPV about 3 months ago. It's a great hobby. I just wish there were more of us in Ireland. What FPV platforms is everyone using?

Definitely.

Where are yee all from? I'm from the Midlands, Laois.

BrianC2488 wrote: »
    Where are yee all from? I'm from the Midlands, Laois.

Same as.

What town? What multirotor/FPV setup have you?

• Advertisement

PMd you with locations

ZMR250 - CC3D
    FPV250 - Naze32
    F450 - APM2.6
    x450 - APM2.6

some planes too.

Another man has ZMR250, FP250, tricopters.

Yes, it was a ply cut-out with 12mm square pine booms.
    I got great tips on this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6K4NXoq-Qk

Flew great and rock steady with a kk board, a great intro to multi-rotors.
    Still love it.

I just ordered one of rcexplorers tri-copter kits, expecting great things.

So are we on for some racing sometime soon?

I just ordered one of rcexplorers tri-copter kits, expecting great things.

So are we on for some racing sometime soon?

How did that build go for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭spankalish

What kind of Money are we talking here guys? It's something that looks really interesting to me. I was looking at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8JyCGXrFbk
    But that build would be close on euro 1000. With all the FPS gear and that. Quad would prob be around 300-400

Quick reply aa on phone tryinh type

About €280 starting for full quad kit just meeds buding

Add fpv its about €50 for a video transnitter and camera

Goggles/screen are biggest expense. Fatshark or skyzone will cost about €380 new

But hobbyking sell a cheap fpv goggle setup for about €40. Great just get into hobby instead spashing out on expensive goggles

After that costs batteries a ot €15-20 and props average €4.50 set of 4.

Best learn fly with no fpv gear. Once happy flyinh then add fpv

spankalish wrote: »
    What kind of Money are we talking here guys? It's something that looks really interesting to me. I was looking at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8JyCGXrFbk
    But that build would be close on euro 1000. With all the FPS gear and that. Quad would prob be around 300-400

That video above is bit dear they use top end parts

Beat go mid price range

Here watch this lad he is excellent

http://youtu.be/8jbpwqCCVbs

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭spankalish

Thanks. I will definatly look into it. Yea I was planning on building the quad with a good fiber glass frame that I could keep for good. Change it up then for future builds. Haven't even looked into building yet to be honest. Just looking for information and what other people are doing. Never flew any quad before so it will just be a good remote a good frame and look into the rest. Frame and remote I could keep for good. How do ye find the Irish weather for flying?

Id save money and buy cheap frame

You will break it up when learning

I use a diatone 250 glass resin or maybe its nylon frame.

I abused the hell out of it and flies great still.

Invest in good radio, (frsky taranis if can afford) rest just start beginner frame and work up

Advertisement