Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas food

Options
  • 23-11-2014 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

hey guys,
    just wondering what people are doing for Christmas. Any simple ideas or recommendations of where I can buy something I can throw into the microwave or oven!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

I got the Avoca nutloaf last year. It was delicious (even used some for a sandwich with cranberry sauce!), the only problem is that it only stays fresh for a few days and can't be frozen, so you have to leave it fairly close to the big day to pick it up. Definitely going to try and do that same this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I had a cashew nutloaf last year, can't remember the brand. It was nice but like Benny said, has to be bought pretty close to the day.

I came across this recipe for a Beet Wellington yesterday and I think it sounds nice but I'm not used to working with pastry so I don't know.

I made this butterbut squash, brussel sprout and apple stuffing last year and I'll definitely be making that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

You can ask the health shops about getting something in/reserving something for you but that is usually just fake meat stuff, so dunno if that's appealing.

I would find it easier to make something myself but that's just me (sorry maybe someone else is better help).

I have had fake meat things some years but blehh

I've made nutroast and brought it home, you can make that in advance. I made a lentil and nut wellington another time, I just use the jus roll pastry sheets (which are vegan), put the filling in the middle and roll it up.

I've seen nice recipes around for Christmas, I'll come back to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Sonic Death Monkey

No turkey this year for the first time ever. I'll perhaps have some fish, but I'd be interested in the Avoca nutloaf.

Is it just a case of going in and picking one up whenever or should I order one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

No turkey this year for the first time ever. I'll perhaps have some fish, but I'd be interested in the Avoca nutloaf.

Is it just a case of going in and picking one up whenever or should I order one?

I tried to order last year, unfortunately they only take orders if you're order is over a certain amount. They told me that there would be no problem in picking one up, so I went in to the Rathcoole branch the Sunday before Christmas and got one. It shouldn't be a problem.

Some great ideas here. Will be at the in-laws this Christmas so I'll probably go the simple route!

Cheers. Definitely going to try and pick one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭afterglow

Terri26 wrote: »
    hey guys,
    just wondering what people are doing for Christmas. Any simple ideas or recommendations of where I can buy something I can throw into the microwave or oven!

Hi
    Cornucopia now have their christmas take away menu up on their sight, you can order it, then pick up on either 23rd/24th dec for christmas dinner. I know they have a few choices, but having been to a vegan christmas dinner there the other day I can personally recommend the nut roast which is one of the choices.
    Hope this helps
    Main web address is cornucopia.ie then i think you just click the shop link and you should see the menu there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

• Advertisement

That looks great in fairness! Risotto sounds delicious.

I was afraid I'd be met with an array of dishes with aubergine. I hate aubergine. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

That looks great in fairness! Risotto sounds delicious.

I was afraid I'd be met with an array of dishes with aubergine. I hate aubergine. :mad:

I used to hate it until I learned to cook it right - nothing nicer than aubergine 'meatballs' with a marinara sauce on pasta.

I used to hate it until I learned to cook it right - nothing nicer than aubergine 'meatballs' with a marinara sauce on pasta.

Nah I've tasted it in a variety of dishes. I just don't like it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Try some baba ghanoush, drooool.

A couple of ideas here too: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/dec/14/vegetarian-christmas-dinner-nigel-slater can be made vegan by substituting the butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

I'm going to give this nut roast a go. Haven't made one before but looks handy enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I haven't decided what I'm going to do this christmas, last year I made a pretty damn good nut roast/loaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

This is our first vegan christmas. I was planning on going all out and making something really special but I've now decided to just focus mainly on the trimmings as its the bit we like msot anyway. I'm gonna do marinated tofu steaks to go with everything.

I want to do 2 kinds of potatoes, roasts as 1 obviously, but what to do for the 2nd?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

mash 'em with some roasted garlic and rosemary

This is our first vegan christmas. I was planning on going all out and making something really special but I've now decided to just focus mainly on the trimmings as its the bit we like msot anyway. I'm gonna do marinated tofu steaks to go with everything.

I want to do 2 kinds of potatoes, roasts as 1 obviously, but what to do for the 2nd?

Croquettes?

• Advertisement

Mah of course, silly question :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Mash could be good. I'd have to add lots of vegan butter though, as its christmas!

That's the best way I think, make a few side dishes and dig in. This is my favourite way to do roast potatoes now which I stole from Tar...

peel and par-boil potatoes, drain them, mix them in a bowl with olive oil and lots of nutritional yeast and roast them in the oven, gives them a really nice taste.

For mashed potatoes, I just mash them with soya milk and a bit of soya butter and salt, pepper.

My Aunt always does this weird thing with mashed potatoes, once theyre mashed she adds in the turkey juices and stuffing and mixes it up and puts them back into the oven to roast, maybe that would still be good with veg stock and stuffing instead?

Or you could even do potato gratin?

or colcannon is another option

or just baked potatoes with the skins on

I think I could just eat potatoes for christmas and be happy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Had an awesome lentil and sweet potato shepherds pies last year. Going to make a pastry wrapped lentil loaf this year. http://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/2014/11/22/puff-pastry-wrapped-lentil-loaf/ Going to eat with the various sides the rest of my (meat eating) family are having.

As for potatoes we usually have roast and croquettes but you can't go wrong with mash either.

This year we are doing the vegan dinner for two meaters and a vegetarian - Gina be tough but we'll see how it pans out - first course french onion soup, second, course cashew nutloaf with chocolate chili gravy, roast, mashed and croquette spuds, roast parsnips, Brussels sprouts with chestnuts fried up in maple syrup, then dessert is a choice of vegan Christmas pudding or a vegan raspberry Victoria sponge. Loads of homemade vegan mince pies on offer as well. Getting hungry just writing this :D

Holy yum ^

Enjoy everyone whatever you're all having :)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Staff Infection

Made a combination of two wellingtons/roulades as posted by --LOS-- , cheers for the recipes. It ended up grand and made for some fine leftover sambos for the past few days with tabasco lashed into the sambos for good measure :)

Yours looks great :D I made one of them before Christmas with sundried tomatoes, spinach, nuts etc, but I kinda forgot that with pastry if you have layers of filling it stops the pastry cooking so I had wrapped it a bit too much (if that makes sense?). Lesson learned anyway. I kept it simple for Christmas day, was only feeding myself! But still wanted a pretty traditional feed so I didn't buy much, all I bought was kale, parsnips, mix of carrots, potatoes and seitan. So I just used them in different ways; colcannon, mashed carrots and parsnips, roast potatoes, carrots, parsnips and kale, stuffing, seitan and gravy. This.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Staff Infection

Ah Cheers, went all out for Christmas I suppose. Will have to do colcannon next year myself, thinking of using sprouts instead of cabbage to make it more festive but tis probably a bit early to be planning next years crimbo meal

• Advertisement

Bit early yep :D I sorta had enough sprouts before Christmas, put myself off them for a while -_-

Advertisement