Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replica Swords. Are they legal?

Options
  • 23-11-2014 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I want to order a replica sword (Orcrist from The Hobbit) but I dont know how customs work for that kind of stuff. Im aware that katanas are banned and as this sword has a curved blade will that cause problems too?
    Please help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Not sure but this is from the Dept of Justice (not sure how up to date this link is)
    14. What are Offensive Weapons?

Certain weapons have been listed as offensive weapons.
    These include flick-knives, knuckledusters, swordsticks, sword umbrellas, hand and foot claws, belt buckle knives, pushdaggers, hollow kubotans, shurikens, butterfly knives, telescopic truncheons, blowpipes, kusari gama, kyoketsu shoge, manrikigusari, sap gloves, and machetes.
    Katanas or 'samurai swords' were added with effect from 1 September 2009, though there are exceptions to the ban designed for collectors and martial artists. You can read the full text of the 1991 Order on offensive weapons here and the 2009 amendment to it here.
    The Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act 1990 prohibits the manufacture, importation, sale, hire or loan of offensive weapons and penalties of up to seven years imprisonment can apply.
    15. What are the laws on importing knives?

The only type of weapons prohibited for importation are those listed under the 1991 Order on offensive weapons and the 2009 amendment to it. This order includes flick knives and several types of disguised knives among other weapons. Other type of knives can be imported, however an individual could be charged for possession of same in public without a lawful reason as set out in Section 9 of the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act 1990.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I had a hand-and-a-half bastard sword delivered no problem - but that was about 8 years ago.

Might come down to how the package is labeled.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

My understanding (from skimming threads in the Legal Forum) that such are banned in public public but if for display at home should be okay. The OP might wish to search the Legal forum to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ErnieT

I have emailed the seller and they told me they never had problems with customers from Ireland. I also emailed the Revenue Mail Center and they sent me a pdf that seems very straight forward, basically as long as its not japanesse or can be concealed or sharp then its okay. I'm gonna take one for the team and order it. Wish me luck! I'll follow up once it arrives or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Why the anti-Japanese bit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Spaniel heaven

Thargor wrote: »
    Why the anti-Japanese bit?

Ya that's very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Kneejerk madness it was. Some guy got attacked by a stainless steel cheapo katana thingy and they decided to make the Katanas specifically illegal in 2009.

So, Unless its an actual nihonto (traditionally made katana) you cant import them anymore for any purpose including the martial art of iaido, akido and a good few others.

So, the sword has arrived all the way from LA through Amazon.com. There was no problems with customs and no additional VAT to pay. I don't know if i just got lucky or that its not as big a deal as i thought. But there you have it. You in fact can order replica swords to Ireland. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Could have sworn I saw an RTE programme about the ports not so long ago where they were taking swords and other weapons straight from the Xray machine in the post depot to a metal shop and cutting them up into a skip, maybe they were samurai swords though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

ErnieT wrote: »
    So, the sword has arrived all the way from LA through Amazon.com. There was no problems with customs and no additional VAT to pay. I don't know if i just got lucky or that its not as big a deal as i thought. But there you have it. You in fact can order replica swords to Ireland. :)
    Pics!

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    Pics!

Unfortunately i cant have pics until Christmas.. it was a present from the lass you see! but i will put them up ASAP

Advertisement