Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Craft brew offers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Or it's the reality that 4 lads in a small unit in an industrial estate can't produce beer as cheaply as hundreds of lads and tens of millions of euros of equipment in a massive factory can.

Economy of scale and all that.

That would be the case if the loading in price came at the point of supply to pubs rather than at the point of sale to the end consumer. It would be interesting to know how wholesale prices of microbrewers compared to those from the multinational breweries. Of course a lot of the "craft" breweries are owned by larger conglomerates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Custardpi wrote: »
    Of course a lot of the "craft" breweries are owned by larger conglomerates.

Five Lamps are owned by C&C.

Franciscian Well are owned by Molsen Coors.

Kenmare is a brand owned by C&R but produced under contract by Brú in Meath.

Besides that every single microbrewery in Ireland id independently owned as far as I am aware.

Unless you know better?

If you're interested in the wholesale price why not contact the producers or distributors and pretend to be an interested retailer? But I can tell you that the margin on craft beers for Offies isn't huge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Weatherspoons charges €2.45 in a pub for their craft beers (330-355ml)

http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/pdf/irish_menu.pdf

Also check UK to Ireland prices in supermarkets

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=256981471
    http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=256981471

Bout 50c in the difference and thats with the exchange being awful at the mo

Using Tesco and Wetherspoons are examples aren't really telling much. Tesco use loss leading practices for beers wines an spirits and Wehterspoons have the power to buy in bulk that no other pub group in Ireland has as well as loss leading with craft beer/real ale to get people in the door.

Wetherspoons selling 8 Degrees and O'Hara's at the same price as offlicences is just an example of them willing to lose a margin to gain a foothold in the market and make their profit on their food other drinks.

It also costs Tesco a hell of a lot more to opperate in Ireland than it does in the UK.

Higher rents, liability insurance, wage costs, VAT rate, Duty and on and on and on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Five Lamps are owned by C&C.

Franciscian Well are owned by Molsen Coors.

Kenmare is a brand owned by C&R but produced under contract by Brú in Meath.

Besides that every single microbrewery in Ireland id independently owned as far as I am aware.

Unless you know better?

If you're interested in the wholesale price why not contact the producers or distributors and pretend to be an interested retailer? But I can tell you that the margin on craft beers for Offies isn't huge.

Cute Hoor ale and orchard thieves cider is owned by Heineken

Cuirim is owned by O'Hara's (are they still considered craft)

Hop house 13 is Guinness (don't think that's much of a secret these days)

• Advertisement

Cuirim is owned by O'Hara's (are they still considered craft)

Hop house 13 is Guinness (don't think that's much of a secret these days)

Cuirim is an O'Hara's beer, they don't try and hide it and it's definitely Micro Brewed, they are well under the 30HL production limit for the duty rebate and are, in the grand scheme of things, a tiny operation.

Cute Hoor is just another Heiniken Brand produced in their mega brewery in Cork, it's not even pretending to be micro brewed, Orchard Thieves is an NZ brand which hieniken bought and produce in the UK as a competitor to Bulmers.

Hop House 13 is, obviously a Guinness product, it says it on the branding, it's produced in James Gate.

So As I said, Besides Fran Well and Five Lamps, every micro brewery in the country is independently owned. And Kenmare is produce by Brú for C&R.

Using Tesco and Wetherspoons are examples aren't really telling much. Tesco use loss leading practices for beers wines an spirits and Wehterspoons have the power to buy in bulk that no other pub group in Ireland has as well as loss leading with craft beer/real ale to get people in the door.

Wetherspoons selling 8 Degrees and O'Hara's at the same price as offlicences is just an example of them willing to lose a margin to gain a foothold in the market and make their profit on their food other drinks.

It also costs Tesco a hell of a lot more to opperate in Ireland than it does in the UK.

Higher rents, liability insurance, wage costs, VAT rate, Duty and on and on and on.
    True, but they are probably still making a profit on them but just aren't adding the craft tax...Have been getting into home brewing recently and I first saw the term craft tax on the main Irish homebrew forums, so within the craft beer community its a known thing

True, but they are probably still making a profit on them but just aren't adding the craft tax...Have been getting into home brewing recently and I first saw the term craft tax on the main Irish homebrew forums, so within the craft beer community its a known thing

Just because someone coins a term doesn't mean it's actually a thing.

Some breweries are charging silly prices, like Wicklow Wolf for example, but most are charging €2-€2.99 for 33-50cl bottles of very good quality beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    O'Briens 6 for 5 is available online too. Free delivery if you order over 60 euro.

Took advantage of this using all the loyalty points I built up over the years

Just because someone coins a term doesn't mean it's actually a thing.

Some breweries are charging silly prices, like Wicklow Wolf for example, but most are charging €2-€2.99 for 33-50cl bottles of very good quality beer.
    Yeah but if peeps you would consider experts in that area call it a thing....its a thing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Neither considered craft, especially the cider and it's no secret who owns it.

Cute Hoor also is sold under another name which I can't remember, and it's rotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,310 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Generally the term "craft tax" on a beer forum would refer to the reduced duty on microbreweries; nothing else.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Neither considered craft, especially the cider and it's no secret who owns it.

Cute Hoor also is sold under another name which I can't remember, and it's rotten.

Cute hoor is/was also called rising Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

Where are the bargains?

viztopia wrote: »
    Where are the bargains?

Dunnes, 4 for €10 on certain Irish beers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

Thanks for getting back on topic........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

I know it's not a craft beer but has anyone seen any deals on Erdinger Kristall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,527 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I know it's not a craft beer but has anyone seen any deals on Erdinger Kristall?

I think I saw some deals on erdinger in Dunnes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Still on?

No idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭laros

Still on?

Yes.... picked up some Galway Hooker earlier tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mtdelany

Tesco have 4 for €9 on:
    Guinness Dublin Porter 500Ml - Fullers India Pale Ale 500Ml - Fullers London Pride 500Ml
    Potentially more in store. Valid from 17/6/2015 until 14/7/2015

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Fine wines in Limerick have the Harris Pale Ale from treaty city brewing, 50cl bottle for €4.15 I nearly s#@t myself at the price!

On the other hand it's a fiver a pint in the bars that serve it on tap and its tasty!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 489 ✭✭AngryDiMaria

mtdelany wrote: »
    Tesco have 4 for €9 on:
    Guinness Dublin Porter 500Ml - Fullers India Pale Ale 500Ml - Fullers London Pride 500Ml

Fullers IPA is lovely and a steal at that price, 'll be having a look in the local tesco tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

got 48 bottles of strongbow dark fruit cider for 98p/€1.38 a bottle on Amazon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,527 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I thought they don't deliver alcohol to Ireland and cant use pm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

TheDriver wrote: »
    I thought they don't deliver alcohol to Ireland and cant use pm?

Not sure about them delivering normally but when it is Amazon Warehouse Deals they usually deliver to get shot of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

mtdelany wrote: »
    Tesco have 4 for €9 on:

West Indies porter too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Fine wines in Limerick have the Harris Pale Ale from treaty city brewing, 50cl bottle for €4.15 I nearly s#@t myself at the price!

On the other hand it's a fiver a pint in the bars that serve it on tap and its tasty!
    I went to get some 12 acres from Supervalu recently, it's a lovely ale. €4.20 she said it was, so I left them back.
    I was in Carlow recenlty and a pub had the 400ml bottles for €4, now that's decent value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭darconio

500ml cans of Desperados 1.50€ each in Tesco

Advertisement