Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airbnb Hosts and tax

Options
  • 23-11-2014 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Article today in times about revenue looking at incomes from airbnb.
    I'm assuming there's no way round this?
    There was an article in the indo that said it qualified under rent relief scheme but don't think that's the case

4.3 Business use
    The room or rooms must be used for the purposes of residential accommodation, i.e. the occupants are effectively using the room on a long-term basis, either on its own or in conjunction with other parts of the residence, as a home. The relief does not apply to rooms that are used for business purposes. Also, income from the provision of accommodation to occasional visitors for short periods would not qualify for relief as the visitors use the accommodation as guest accommodation rather than for residential purposes. Income from guest accommodation such as a bed and breakfast or a guesthouse operation is generally treated as trading income (Case 1) and not rental income (Case V). This type of income, even where it is under the relevant limit, does not qualify for rent-a-room relief.

If you rent out a room in your home, you are not covered by landlord and tenant legislation so the rights and obligations under that legislation do not apply to you. For example, you are not obliged to register as a landlord with the Private Residential Tenancies Board (PRTB), provide a rent book to the tenant or ensure that the accommodation provided meets any minimum physical standards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 aierlan1000

No-looks like the Airbnb dream has died! Revenue have now issued some clarification. Pity-think it would be fairer if some middle-ground or compromise position could be reached. I would have a certain amount of sympathy with the hotel industry though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Too bloody right! The rent a room relief being abused costs us all in the long term. I'd rather air b'n'b be taxed than risk the rent a room relief being cut!

I wouldn't call it abuse-people were staying below the thresholds...better solution might have been to reduce the limit and increase the scope!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I wouldn't call it abuse-people were staying below the thresholds...better solution might have been to reduce the limit and increase the scope!

How would that help those who have long term lodgers residing with them for below market rates?
    The commercial short stay area typically charges higher rates than you would find in the rental sector or under the rent a room scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's routinely abused by people pretending they live in places where they don't live. I know several people who have houseshared in places where the LL's official mail all came to the house, despite the fact that none of the bedrooms were allocated to them.

The AirBnB dream has not died. It is just liable for tax in the same way as any other side business is - this way it always has been, and should be.

As a person with a side-business (not AirBnB), yes it annoys me to be paying 51% tax on it. But in fairness, it's the same rate I'd be paying if my day job earned more. And 49% is still a long way better than nothing.

• Advertisement

It's routinely abused by people pretending they live in places where they don't live. I know several people who have houseshared in places where the LL's official mail all came to the house, despite the fact that none of the bedrooms were allocated to them.

that's a different issue really...and raises all sorts of other issues such as capital gains etc.

While 49% is better than nothing- it's you not the government who is earning it so don't you think, in principle, at least you should be allowed to keep it?

I do take your point but at the same the rent a room scheme is in place and it allows for students during term but not airbnb people. touch of hypocrisy about that. cest la vie I suppose....except like I say-if there was some middle ground that could be reached!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

While 49% is better than nothing- it's you not the government who is earning it so don't you think, in principle, at least you should be allowed to keep it?

The same could be said for all income? Let's do away with income tax completely!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

wyndham wrote: »
    The same could be said for all income? Let's do away with income tax completely!

51% on income tax is also too high imo. Sure, tax people but 51% on earnings above 32k or whatever is taking the piss.

All true and I do agree with the sentiment of no income tax but I think it's slightly off the point! Basically I think Airbnb type accom is really beneficial and a good use of property (in the same way as rent a room) and it would be nice to see some kind of accommodation made rather than all out treating the same as any other business!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

All true and I do agree with the sentiment of no income tax but I think it's slightly off the point! Basically I think Airbnb type accom is really beneficial and a good use of property (in the same way as rent a room) and it would be nice to see some kind of accommodation made rather than all out treating the same as any other business!

But it is a business.
    There are some very high quality apartments and houses for short term let on the site. These are not people who are renting a room in their private residence, they are people with empty properties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

Took them long enough.

Sure we've had anecdotes directly from people on this forum explaining their business models and how they run the airbnb side of things, most never even meet the tenants or live in the properties at all. It's evolved enough now that it's fully competing on the short term letting market and so should be taxed at the same rates as the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

nobody is saying that, but the current marginal rate is a disgrace given the low threshold it kicks in at and the very high cost of living in Ireland, but Dublin in particular...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

But it is a business.
    There are some very high quality apartments and houses for short term let on the site. These are not people who are renting a room in their private residence, they are people with empty properties.

But most of them are renting rooms in their private residence. And it is a fine line between airbnb and having a turnover of lodgers.

I am not sure how you differentiate in legislation between short term lets under rent a room relief and airbnb

If I decide I want to rent my spare room out for a month, just to get a bit of income in, surely I am perfectly entitled to under rent-a-room. Just have to use daft instead of airbnb to get the advert out

All the same the rent-a-room scheme is there and previous revenue guidelines said it just had to be part of your house and under threshold- didn't matter whether it was 1 tenant or 10 or how long they stayed so long as you lived there and the yearly total was below the threshold (now €12k).

If you have a second home and rent it-then it's classed as income, end of story. There is no tax relief scheme for these types of lettings.

In Dublin, you could prob hit the 12k with a long term tenant...down the country, it's a more interesting way of reaching the threshold than getting students, trainee accountants etc!

Just as an aside-the high rate of tax is mental! Prob for another forum but what is it in other countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

The fact is that the rent a room scheme is an exemption from tax. Prima facie the income is taxable, but as a concession Revenue is exempting it. If they wanted to level the playing field, it's likely they would remove the exemption rather than making AirB&B income exempt.

The fact is that the rent a room scheme is an exemption from tax. Prima facie the income is taxable, but as a concession Revenue is exempting it. If they wanted to level the playing field, it's likely they would remove the exemption rather than making AirB&B income exempt.

They couldn't do that. It'd be a disaster in a market where there are already not enough rooms to meet demand. It would take a ton of spare rooms off the market and drive up demand and rent prices for what's left

They couldn't do that. It'd be a disaster in a market where there are already not enough rooms to meet demand. It would take a ton of spare rooms off the market and drive up demand and rent prices for what's left

Absolutely agree.

The point I'm making is that rather than viewing the taxation of income from AirB&B as unfair, people need to realise that the rent a room scheme is the execution from the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 miryan

Hi all -
    Does anyone know the situation about declaring air bnb room to revenue - has someone done this and how much were they taxed?
    Thanks a lot
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 26 miryan

Hi all -
    Does anyone know the situation about declaring air bnb room to revenue - has someone done this and how much were they taxed?
    Thanks a lot
    M

How much they are taxed depends on how much they earned from other sources, an dwhat tax credits they have from other sources (oldness, sole-parentness, etc)

Worst case it's 51% on the lot. But with proper accountant advice, there will be some expenses that can be claimed against this.

• Advertisement

Guy from Revenue on Newstalk this lunchtime said they're going to crack down on AirBnB and was quite specific that rent a room does not apply, the owner is operating a guest house when they use the site to rent out rooms in their homes. It's going to be interesting to see how they decide what's a bona fide rent a room situation and what isn't

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

What if the fee was a "gift",as in a 500 euro thank you for a week stay?

If you do it through AirBnB there will be an audit trail

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Plus we have taxes on gifts to cut out that kind of shenanigans.

Stark wrote: »
    Plus we have taxes on gifts to cut out that kind of shenanigans.

Good luck to revenue trying to go down that road!

Try it out. Let us know how you get on :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Gifts asked for and services given "coincidental" don't wash with revenue.

L1011 wrote: »
    Gifts asked for and services given "coincidental" don't wash with revenue.

Or with AirBnB, who are able to take their cut from the transaction by insisting that all payments are by credit card.

Seriously, quit the tax-evasion mentality, it's a huge waste of time and energy, and you will lose eventually.

Focus on building a profitable business and on legal aspects of tax-management (sometimes unkindly called tax-avoidance).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

It would be helpful if some straightforward system for tax could be devised for AirBNB type transactions. For instance, a standard expenses allowance per day for the property without too much paperwork. OK if someone if running a real business, but someone letting a holiday home for a few weeks in July is likely to avoid revenue because of paperwork as the tax paid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Focus on building a profitable business and on legal aspects of tax-management (sometimes unkindly called tax-avoidance).

There is absolutely nothing unkind about tax-avoidance- it is an entirely prudent manner of managing your business, to minimise your legitimate tax demand.

Move away from the shenanigans about tax evasion being discussed here. Aside from anything else- Airbnb officially offer Ireland as a destination- with over 800 properties, some as a whole unit- available in Dublin alone link here

Revenue can request details of lettings- in a similar manner that France has done- and levy taxes appropriately. Airbnb will comply- or face the consequences.

You do not have any allowable deductions (as far as I know) when you use Airbnb for short term lettings. This is unlike a conventional letting- however, it is in common with the Rent-a-room scheme (where even billshares for electricity, internet, gas etc- all count towards the 12k limit).

By all means- legitimately minimise your tax bill through conventional mechanisms- i.e. avoid tax- but don't evade tax..........

I'm having nightmares about the presentation I had to give Revenue on tax avoidance and evasion mechanisms and how to target both........

Advertisement