Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Jailbreaking Apple TV2

• 23-11-2014 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi.

I have an ATV2 that I cannot jailbreak. I have followed YouTube steps but iTunes will not pick up my device. The previous posts are not very recent so apologies for this -
    Does anyone know of any jailbreaking guru I can send my device to for untethered jailbreak and how much will it cost me. I'd be grateful for any information and help.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

are you sure its not apple tv3 it cant be hacked

Apple TV (3rd generation)

Year introduced: Early 2012

Color: Black
    Model number on bottom:
    •A1427 for Apple TV (3rd generation)
    •A1469 for Apple TV (3rd generation) Rev A

Model Identifier: AppleTV3,1 (A1427) or AppleTV3,2 (A1469

Year introduced: Late 2010

Color: Black
    Model number on bottom: A1378
    Model Identifier: AppleTV2,1

To check the version of software your Apple TV is running, go to Settings > General > About and there you'll see the software version. If you're running an older version, you can download the right version of Seas0npass for it

After you have everything ready, launch the Seas0nPass software on your computer and click the "Create IPSW" button.

Create IPSW starts the jailbreak process

Next you'll get a message to connect your Apple TV to your PC or Mac. Plug in the power cord and Micro USB cable then connect it to your computer. You don't need the HDMI or Ethernet cables connected – just the power and Micro USB.

Seas0nPass is waiting for you to connect you Apple TV via micro USB

After you connect your Apple TV, grab the Apple TV remote, point it at your Apple TV and hold down the Menu and Play/Pause buttons simultaneously for seven seconds. This will put the Apple TV in Device Firmware Update (DFU) mode.

After you see the blue light on the front of the box start blinking rapidly, release the buttons and the Apple TV should be recognized by your computer. You'll get a message asking if you want to save the signatures. This is up to you. I usually don't because it errors out on my system for some reason, but you might have better luck.

Apple TV 2 is recognized in DFU mode

After the signatures are saved, you'll see the following screen letting you know that the latest software is being downloaded and installed, which is 5.3 (10B809). This is exactly what you want, the jailbreak software and customized iPhone Software (IPSW). The amount of time this takes will vary depending on your internet connection. It took about 15 minutes to download and install on my DSL connection.

Seas0nPass is downloading iOS 5.3 (10B809)

During the process you'll hear the "chime" sound while it disconnects and connects to USB.

After the jailbreak software is installed, iTunes will launch into Apple TV Recovery Mode and restore your Apple TV. You don't need to do anything at this point, just wait for iTunes to do its job. This can take around 10 minutes.

iTunes is restoring your Apple TV 2 in Recovery Mode to the Jailbreak version of the softw...

Success! When it's done you should see the following message that your Apple TV has been restored to factory settings with the custom IPSW. But, you're not quite done yet. Click OK to the success message then exit out of iTunes.

Apple TV has been successfully restored to factory, um, jailbreak settings

Now you'll be back at the Seas0nPass screen and told "Custom IPSW created successfully!" Click OK.

Custom IPSW Created and you're almost done

The final step is to boot your Apple TV tethered. So make sure the power cord and Micro USB cables are still connected. Grab the remote control again, point it at the Apple TV and hold down the Menu and Play/Pause buttons again for seven seconds to enter DFU mode. Now on your computer click the Tethered Boot button in Seas0nPass. A couple of screens will come up, but don't do anything.

Apple TV found in DFU mode

After that you'll see that the tethered boot was completed, and you can now connect your HDMI cable to your HDTV. At this point remove the Micro USB cable, but not the power cord. If you remove the power cord, you'll need to connect it to your computer again and do the tethered boot.

Tether boot successful, remove Micro USB and plug HDMI in to HDTV

Now on your HDTV you'll need to go through the initial set up process, just like when you first bought it. Select your language, connect it to your home network, and when you get to the screen asking if you want to send information to Apple, select "No Thanks."

Send usage info to Apple? No Thanks

You'll know the jailbreak was completely successful because you'll see a new FireCore logo where Settings used to be.

Welcome to your jailbroken Apple TV, the FC logo will appear on the Settings button

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Glebee

What benefits are there for jailbreaking???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Glebee wrote: »
    What benefits are there for jailbreaking???

one of the reasons I did is to install XBMC. This allows me to access my movies on my NAS.

Jailbreaking your Apple TV is what really opens up the media floodgates. And just like that, you have access to Hulu, ESPN, Amazon, Last.fm, Pandora, PBS, A&E, ABC, CBS, NBA, MTV

XBMC
    XBMC is the portal that allows you to access most of the content above, but it also includes beautiful custom themes, and many other plugins from a diverse community of developers. XBMC has been ported to pretty much every platform known to man, so it’s easy to get support, and simple to setup and install.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Advertisement