Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Nonsense rip off quote!

Options
  • 23-11-2014 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

In October I received in the post my quote for the coming years car insurance from No Nonsense. I didn't take any notice of it then and unfortunately it slipped my mind. I checked it today and it's gone up by a whopping 60%!!
    I made no claims, haven't changed car, nothing! Anyway, the cover kicked in automatically last Wednesday because I didn't stop it in time.
    I found a quote today that is over €100 cheaper so I will cancel my insurance with them immediately!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

So YOU didn;t check your renewal quote and you blame them? eh - I think you are at fault there.

Insurance companies send you a renewal quote a minimum of 30 days beforehand - that ample time for you to check other options. Even just to check your cover is correct - value of the car could be down, you may find you would like a higher excess etc etc

Insurance companies will quote you based on their costs of similar drivers with similar cars they have on their books - also Car insurance has jumped this year as many were selling below cost to get market share - FBD posted huge losses on their car insurance as did aviva.

Not a rip off - you just didn't sop around.

btw -insurance here is WAY cheaper than UK these days and no where near the costs of the 90's!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I think you'll find that you won't get a full refund. There will be a canellation fee and a proportionate refund which may well be more than €100.
    Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭countrynosebag

We are older and do not drive daily to work nor do long distance. I think there is a low mileage thing, does this work on earlier cars do you know. We are in lowest price bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 kevdub23

If you don't like it shop elsewhere!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

delahuntv wrote: »
    So YOU didn;t check your renewal quote and you blame them? eh - I think you are at fault there.

Insurance companies send you a renewal quote a minimum of 30 days beforehand - that ample time for you to check other options. Even just to check your cover is correct - value of the car could be down, you may find you would like a higher excess etc etc

Insurance companies will quote you based on their costs of similar drivers with similar cars they have on their books - also Car insurance has jumped this year as many were selling below cost to get market share - FBD posted huge losses on their car insurance as did aviva.

btw -insurance here is WAY cheaper than UK these days and no where near the costs of the 90's!

Never came across any insurance company or broker that will quote you over 30 days :confused:

• Advertisement

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Never came across any insurance company or broker that will quote you over 30 days :confused:

by law they must send you your renewal a minimum of 15 working days before he renewal date (3weeks) - most will not wait til final minute, so in nearly all cases you get your renewal quote 30 days before renewal is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I'm surprised at that much of a price hike. I'm with the same crowd and it went up by about €30. There was only €3 in the difference between my renewal quote and the cheapest rival on-line quote, so I'm staying put. Did you query the price rise?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I moved my dads car insurance from liberty to aviva via a broker. For €5 more than the whopping €18 liberty knocked off the premium when challenged about the rise, I managed to get him full protected ncb with all the bells and whistles, plus the excess slashed in half. This was through the AA. Going direct with aviva would have cost an extra €200 or circa 60% higher :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Goz83, you did great. I could never find a broker to match the on-line price, or maybe I'm talking to the wrong ones!

I'm with a broker and on commerical driving Liberty went to €973, broker got quote frm aviva of 420 + €40 broker fee.

A good broker is well worth its fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

goz83 wrote: »
    I moved my dads car insurance from liberty to aviva via a broker. For €5 more than the whopping €18 liberty knocked off the premium when challenged about the rise, I managed to get him full protected ncb with all the bells and whistles, plus the excess slashed in half. This was through the AA. Going direct with aviva would have cost an extra €200 or circa 60% higher :eek:

I think I just get lucky :D

When I was renewing the insurance for my wife, I got a good few quid off the price after calling to and from a couple of insurers. The guy taking payment from her jokingly accused me of hypnotising his colleague over the phone to get the price down so low.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ratzo Rizzo

I wrote to them to ask them to cancel my insurance as I am required to do according to their terms. That was almost 3 weeks ago and I've since heard nothing back from them...

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ratzo Rizzo

I think you need to re-read my original post. I'm not blaming them for my oversight but I am saying that a 60% increase is excessive...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Using italics instead of caps may help make your post seem less aggressive.

I thought the above was unacceptably brash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

I wrote to them to ask them to cancel my insurance as I am required to do according to their terms. That was almost 3 weeks ago and I've since heard nothing back from them...

If you didn't post back your cert & disc, it won't be cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dolly2323

I just received my renewal quote with No Nonsence. It has gone up by 168.00euros!!! I didn't make any changes to my policy and have never made a claim. I assumed it was a mistake so I emailed them and got the below reply"Upon reviewing your policy it seems the price generated would be correct. We have seen an increase in the ratings of insurance this year which has increase the price of premiums.
    Should you wish any further clarification or require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us on 1890 25 27 37.

To add insult to injury they send a generic reply.Going to call tomorrow and see what they say.It appears I'm not the only one who's quote has jumped!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Waerobic Woxajack

Insurance is the greatest ripoff of all and a major cause of why all prices are too dear elsewhere. You have to insure every single thing and the insurance companies cream it off. The government as usual idly stands by because they know they will get more VAT.

I just had an email informing me this was a load if nonsense basically, and it was attributed to me.
    Just mentioning that I did not actually place this contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I think you need to re-read my original post. I'm not blaming them for my oversight but I am saying that a 60% increase is excessive...

It is, but No Nonsense aren't the only ones at this. It's a pretty well known tactic used by most insurers that spawns thread after thread of complaints on here.

Jack up the renewal price, most will query it and ring for a better price (which will be offered) or some will go elsewhere - but others won't query it at all and they are quids in.

I'm up for renewal. I do a lot of driving, so need class 2 business use.

Aviva €728 (not dreadful for value of car and the fact i drive, 50k k a year but reckoned I'd do better)
    Broker - best Quote €628 incl €40 broker fee.
    Liberty - €962 - good policy, but highest.
    AIG - €457 - excellent policy with windscreen cover, step back bonus and excess of 250, but based on downloading some driving app. (that took 1 minute)

But I don't claim any particular compnay is a rip off, but AIG had the value for my age group and my profile.

Total time spent shopping around was 30 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

AIG - €457 - excellent policy with windscreen cover, step back bonus and excess of 250, but based on downloading some driving app. (that took 1 minute)

Is this an app that you have to have on permanently, to allow AIG to monitor your speed, location etc?

animaal wrote: »
    Is this an app that you have to have on permanently, to allow AIG to monitor your speed, location etc?

I think so - but I'm 28 years driving without a scratch or a penalty point, so not concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Insurance for cars looks up across the board this year. I'd a significant increase with no claim and an additional years no claims.

Personally Chill have always turned up the best offers. I ring around those not in the Chill catchment, and then Chill themselves. Ended up sticking with Allianz who were the best offer and also provided some nice extras on my cover.

You normally receive a renewal 15 or so days in advance(mine came nearly a month) and you also have a cooling off period where you can cancel at no penalties. According to chill anyway, who in the course of their script reading outline its "under irish law".

I know I cancelled a policy two year ago after another crowd rang me back to tell me they'd beat the best quote I got. I cancelled like a week in, with no penalties or fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭paul71

My wife received renewal notice on Thrusday from no-nonsense, increased from €480 to €800!!!

Same car, same address, same driver, no claims, no penalty points, 90% increase. First call to another company and we got a quote of €430.

I had the great pleasure of phoning no-nonsense yesterday to tell them she was moving to another company and the representative asked why we did not contact them to discuss the quote, I told her that I did not want to give them the opertunity to match the other company because their first quote was an insult.

From the number of compliants here it sounds like they are trying to put themselves out of business.

paul71 wrote: »
    My wife received renewal notice on Thrusday from no-nonsense, increased from €480 to €800!!!

Same car, same address, same driver, no claims, no penalty points, 90% increase. First call to another company and we got a quote of €430.

I had the great pleasure of phoning no-nonsense yesterday to tell them she was moving to another company and the representative asked why we did not contact them to discuss the quote, I told her that I did not want to give them the opertunity to match the other company because their first quote was an insult.

From the number of compliants here it sounds like they are trying to put themselves out of business.

i can't see how gloating to a call centre person can help, except if you are the type that enjoys bullying someone.

they lost a whack of money in 2014, so obviously they couln't continue giving loss making quotes

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/fbd-forecasts-an-operating-loss-for-2014-168998/

Paul 71
    I am always polite to callers. It is just someone trying to earn a living. I feel,sorry for them struggling away to avoid abuse and just get their work done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭paul71

Ah come on now! That is not bullying, that is simply telling someone the truth, I did not shout, I did not curse, calmly and politely phoned and said we are moving, the person asked if I wanted a quote and I replied that I would not like one because I objected the excessive level of the original quote to the extent that I thought it was insulting but that I might ask for a quote next year. If you guys think that is bullying then you need to grow thicker skins.

A 90% increase is way beyond what can be considered excessive, the call centre staff can then simply point out to management that they are not getting the opertunity to quote because of stupid increases. Management can then decide if they want to continue this type of practice.

paul71 wrote: »
    Ah come on now! That is not bullying, that is simply telling someone the truth, I did not shout, I did not curse, calmly and politely phoned and said we are moving, the person asked if I wanted a quote and I replied that I would not like one because I objected the excessive level of the original quote to the extent that I thought it was insulting but that I might ask for a quote next year. If you guys think that is bullying then you need to grow thicker skins.

A 90% increase is way beyond what can be considered excessive, the call centre staff can then simply point out to management that they are not getting the opertunity to quote because of stupid increases. Management can then decide if they want to continue this type of practice.

If you wrote your post differently we'd think differently

I'll quote your post "I had the great pleasure of phoning no-nonsense yesterday to tell them she was moving to another company and the representative asked why we did not contact them to discuss the quote, I told her that I did not want to give them the opertunity to match the other company because their first quote was an insult."

You don't think you are lording over the call centre person or "grandstanding" - sorry, but by what YOU said, it was bullying. - I employ over 40 staff and have completed several HR courses over the years and this is very much classified as bullying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Jesus wept. Bullying?! What a precious bunch.

You have absolutely no idea of the tone of the phonecall based on what OP wrote.

• Advertisement

maximoose wrote: »
    Jesus wept. Bullying?! What a precious bunch.

You have absolutely no idea of the tone of the phonecall based on what OP wrote.

the tone came through very well in the post. - and the poster thougyt it would be great to "gloat" here about what he told the person on the phone to do. mmmm... you don't think that's either very sad or bullying?

I just believe that being polite to people, especially when they are just doing their job and have no say in the costings of the quote, is a better way to approach things.

Advertisement