Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Golf 2.0 2008

Options
  • 23-11-2014 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi all

Sorry if I am posting in the wrong place but you vw guys out there just to pick your brains about a problem i have

I had to get the head gasket done on it as it was letting water in to the oil, so I thought that was why it was slow to start in the morning, but once its started it starts fine for the rest of the day .... but got it back yesterday and went to start it this morning as yep ... it took ages to start again, i have been told it could be the fuel pump ? a ecl thingy , or a relay any of you guys had this problem, thank you for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭FR85

webmanie wrote: »
    Hi all

Sorry if I am posting in the wrong place but you vw guys out there just to pick your brains about a problem i have

I had to get the head gasket done on it as it was letting water in to the oil, so I thought that was why it was slow to start in the morning, but once its started it starts fine for the rest of the day .... but got it back yesterday and went to start it this morning as yep ... it took ages to start again, i have been told it could be the fuel pump ? a ecl thingy , or a relay any of you guys had this problem, thank you for your help

I've a PD 170 engine and like you it's hard cranking in the mornings of late. Again I'm wondering if it's a head gasket issue as it's losing water somewhere. My engine is bast*ard to dip for oil because the dip stick is totally black and impossible to get a decent reading on. Can I ask hw much the head gasket was to get done?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭webmanie

Hi FR85.

Mine was leaking water into the engine, the water bottle went down say half a cup after a long drive, i did all the testing it put in the dye to see it under a lamp so i got the head done last week. it was 600 to do the head, and like you i thought that was my morning problem with starting it as the water was leaking into the and i was sure was trying to start water insted of diesel .... but no it not start yesterday morning, so i have now found out 2 glow plugs are gone and i think the relay might be acting up as well f()*(&&*&^ thing its a lovely 08 so i dont know yet o yea they dipping is a curse i cant see it as well

Hi FR85.

Mine was leaking water into the engine, the water bottle went down say half a cup after a long drive, i did all the testing it put in the dye to see it under a lamp so i got the head done last week. it was 600 to do the head, and like you i thought that was my morning problem with starting it as the water was leaking into the and i was sure was trying to start water insted of diesel .... but no it not start yesterday morning, so i have now found out 2 glow plugs are gone and i think the relay might be acting up as well f()*(&&*&^ thing its a lovely 08 so i dont know yet o yea they dipping is a curse i cant see it as well

Well, that said my oil is black and not grey and there is no smudgey gloopy ****e under the oil cap although with new types of oil I don't know if this is still a tell tale sign? Also I'm not losing that much, maybe a pint glass every three weeks to a month. I just think it's harder to start of late, I might do the fuel filter as it blackens them on a regular bases as I'm told a seal goes somewhere on a tandem pump. Injectors were done under the recall about 80,000kms so I don't think its the injector seals as I've never been told after an oil change that there is diesel mixing with oil nor have I noticed the oil being over full.

It's lost water for the last three years, it seemed to be holding it when I got the timing belt and water pump done back in Feb but again it's started......mines a 07 with 270,000kms so until the water charges come in in full I'll keep topping her up!!!!
    That bloody dip stick is a curse of a design!!!

Is yours the CR engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Waterson

Head gasket symptons arenet universal, they differ from car to car. An expansion bottle 'sniff test' for carbon dioxide is a good indicator and the kits can be purchased cheap enough now. Try this as an indicator; if water is getting into the oil, get the engine nice and hot, then remove the dipstick and drip a little oil onto the hot exhaust manifold. If it starts to bubble, thats a good sign theres water in your oil. If it just smokes, your prob ok. This is assuming youve had fairly regular oil changes as oil will absorb a bit of water anyway during its lifetime. Feel free to PM for a loan of the test kit if youre in the Kildare/Dublin areas.

In regard to the OP's starting issues, the glow plugs wouldn't be required to get the engine started. Its not cold enough (yet). I would suggest taking it back to the garage, explain that the car has been hard to start (since the repairs) and surely if they're reputable in the slightest they will investigate it for you. Common issues would be air ingress into low pressure fuel lines and leeching of fuel back to the tank when left for a while. If its had signifcant head work, theres a good chance of either of these scenarios causing your hard starts.

• Advertisement

Waterson wrote: »
    Head gasket symptons arenet universal, they differ from car to car. An expansion bottle 'sniff test' for carbon dioxide is a good indicator and the kits can be purchased cheap enough now. Try this as an indicator; if water is getting into the oil, get the engine nice and hot, then remove the dipstick and drip a little oil onto the hot exhaust manifold. If it starts to bubble, thats a good sign theres water in your oil. If it just smokes, your prob ok. This is assuming youve had fairly regular oil changes as oil will absorb a bit of water anyway during its lifetime. Feel free to PM for a loan of the test kit if youre in the Kildare/Dublin areas.

I like your dipstick test!! I can't get near the exhaust manifold but there's an auld Iveco Daily in work that I think might become a vital part of this test!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭greasepalm

had to replace fuel pump in tank of passat 08 tdi ,sprayed ether into air intake and car went to start indicating no fuel,also done fuel filer.first time i had seen white housing fuel pump housing black ,tesco fuel used.
    hard starting may need diagnostics done even faulty camshaft sensor,and if 2 glow plugs gone do the 4 .winter is here and getting colder.

Hi Guys

I bought it sec hand. so i have no where to bring it back to........ only have it two months !! so mad, but anyway. yea the guys is now saying it cold be a relay ? as this can cause it as well i know the glow plugs are not needed at the moment as its not firing in the mornings so i will get a relay tomorrow, after that i don't know what, so fed up with it bt it a lovely car and I cant afford to change it and i would not sell it to some poor guy or gal in this order i know i might be a fool but thats me i also got the ecl- ecu not sure what its caled but on a test this morning the computer was able to talk to that ok

Please keep us posted on your progress, I would be interested to know what the problem is

Ok Guys an - up date

I got 2 relay just this evening of a friend and it started it did not have that kick yesterday with the old relays as it was just turning over and over but the kick is defo back in, but spluttered a bit after starting then ran normal, i switched it of and it started fine. now im just wondering am i getting air in the injectors tru the seals i put a clear pipe on the fuel filter but i need to let it go cold to check this I think? a friend was telling me to check this it will tell me if seals on the injectors causing a problem with the spluttering..... could it be from all the trying to start it?

• Advertisement

If you have been cranking for a while and it not starting, you will proabably have a degree of cylinder wash (unburnt diesel) that will clear out when itb starts but car will shudder and smoke as it does it. If you had it running for a small bit yesterday that shpould have cleared out the cylinders. The test will be the cold start this morning...

Yep it started first time this morning - 2 so looks good, yea the cylinder wash was the thing after been at it to start yesterday, so at this time it looks like it was the relay but i also fitted 4 new glow plugs to help it along the way ... hopefully anyway fingers crossed ...... i will let ye know

Thanks for all your advice guys

started ok ....... one turn of the key 3 engine turns so im thinking could it be the injector seals

I assume the injectors were removed to do the head? If so check your oil to make sure you are now not mixing oil with diesel. Dip it to make sure the sump isn't filling as this was a common flaw with the PD 170 engine after the injector recall.

What has you thinking it requires injector seals if it is starting fine?

Waterson wrote: »
    What has you thinking it requires injector seals if it is starting fine?

Post *11, OP was wondering if it's drawing air in to a cylinder through a dodgy seal.....I've only ever heard of them mixing fluids rather then drawing in air?

ok guys here is where I am

injectors were removed but i could have pinched them ?

I replaced the relay and its kicking of better much stronger but still taking a bit to start it, so put some clear tubes on the filter and i can see air passing tru, so could it be the seals on the injectors now ?or the fuel pump as im not sure or the fuel pump

@ Waterson it do start but takes a bit of swinging could it be the injectors seals

did you say you got fault codes read?

yep all clear also fitted new h plugs on friday its a total mystery

• Advertisement

I replaced the relay and its kicking of better much stronger but still taking a bit to start it, so put some clear tubes on the filter and i can see air passing tru, so could it be the seals on the injectors now ?or the fuel pump as im not sure or the fuel pump

You are always going to get an element of air though from the car being fueled and also from it sloshing around in the tank and it is after all part or a combustion process, a lot of the VW range now has a self bleed system on the fuel filter so I don't think air is the major concern. I have also read a lot on the PD injector change as my car had it done and I have never seen anyone say air is a problem, normally fuel and oil mixing along with DPF problems post change are the issues, correct me on this if needs be!

Ok guys ..... Golf 2008 Diesel an update ,

After having the car for 3 months my daughter was ready to trade it in , as I would not like her to sell it private and for some other person to go tru the hell we did after buying it private of a missable wa<<:<:@ that had to know it would not start in the mornings, so I had to get the head done first as it was mixing water and oil, after throwing part after part at it, changing injector seals as it would not start in the morning this went on for 3 months ! with no luck, it would start all day long once it got started in the morning… if it started, our prayers were answered by a member here called dieselbug after he contacted me regarding the bad morning starting and I took it to him & he got it sorted in one evening! Problem with pump , but tests were done before that but no one picked up on it. So a huge thank you to dieselbug a member here, if you have a golf or any car not working right, he’s your man, give him a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

:o

A gentleman and a pleasure to deal with.

was that the pump in tank as in whole new pump and tank unit?

Advertisement