Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Techy device for 9 & 11 year old

• 23-11-2014 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭

Somehow I have managed to raise 2 girls (9 and 11) without any of the techy devices or gadgets that everyone seems to be getting lately e.g. Xboxes, DSs (?), Wii, Ipod, Ipad etc (I am sure I forgot some).

I think it's time to get them one of above (or similar) for Xmas.

What do people recommend that can be fun for all the family on dark winter nights but are also somewhat educational?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

The only main thing that sticks out as fun for all family would be the likes of a Wii. Wide range of games available that in general are great with group game activities. DS, Ipad etc would be more single person focused rather than group focused.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

nexus 7 tablet buy the newer version,it has 2 cameras instead of one,lots of places try to sell old version at same price

next off the wii

or try a cheap laptop

An iPod touch for each of them. It's likely they will be getting into music by now. They will also be able to play games etc.
    You can set up Apple accounts on each iPod which can be password protected, so anytime they want to download something from the appstore or iTunes, you get to vet it first before putting in your password.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Do they like music and dancing? Theres a game called Just Dance (i think thats the one anyways) on the Xbox ( its on the older 360s or the newer one is on the Xbox 1). Works with the Kinect (motion camaera) which comes with the Xbox1 or you buy seperate for the older xbox 360. It tells you on the screen what moves to do and you copy it. Dancing to pop songs and stuff, then it gives you points based on how you do. You can dance against each other - they might have good fun with that. It comes with other games too which might be more family orientated if you arent down with shaking a few moves :p

Plenty of lego games on it too which are good fun and they can play them together as a 2 player game.

If you want something more for the family then the Wii has some sports games, wii bowling and stuff like that which can be good fun and suit everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 emmigrunt

How about Makey Makey? Check out the videos on youtube...
    Would have loved one of them when I was that age

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Firstly do you have wireless internet? Secondly, maybe you could get a kindle for reading books? You buy the books online and can read them off the tablet.

Don't waste money on a console for girls, I'm sorry I don't mean to sound bad but they'll use them a few times and get tired of them. Especially things like the kinect and just dance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

Kindle fire HD

OP closed their account about a week ago so I doubt they'll be seeing our advice any time soon.

Yawns wrote: »
    OP closed their account about a week ago so I doubt they'll be seeing our advice any time soon.

They must have loved the site to say they asked a question and left.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Depends on the child some will like games a lot some just aren't bothered. I don't find any of these devices are educational. Eventually they just all end up playing games. A lot of games are not very educational.But I wouldn't be looking for games as anything other than entertainment. The Xbox 360 seems to have very few games for younger kids. The vast majority seem to be 16~18 games. The Wii seems much better suited to younger kids. Though its a bit old now.

Buy them a kindle? Assuming they read a lot. If not it would be pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

There might be others who would find the discussion useful?

beauf wrote: »
    There might be others who would find the discussion useful?

Didn't say they wouldn't, but I was aiming my post at the person trying to be helpful and asking the OP questions, to which the OP can't answer as they closed their account.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Agreed. Locking the thread as OP is no longer around.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement