Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time Manipulation in games

Options
  • 23-11-2014 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭

I thought I asked before, but can't find a thread so will ask now.

Being a fan of the Prince of Persia Sands of Time games, I was wondering what other games involving time manipulation would you suggest?

By this I mean ones where you directly control time to affect enemies/the environment/the game. So Sands of Time and Braid would be included but Ocarina of Time wouldn't(since it pretty much just skips ahead/back in time)

I know I saw Quantum Theory uses time manipulation and from what I know TimeShift is another

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Viewtiful Joe if you can find it and have a console that can play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Would Braid fall into this?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Viewtiful Joe if you can find it and have a console that can play it.
    Yep, have it on the Gamecube. I'm pretty crap at it. :)
    Pac1Man wrote: »
    Would Braid fall into this?
    Yup, finished it last year, or earlier this year, thanks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Superhot and Singularity spring to mind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Blinx the Timesweeper on the Xbox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Super Time Force, GRID, The Adventures of Shuggy and The Misadventures of PB Winterbottom all feature the mechanic in various ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

singularity is a great example

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

The max payne series, and red dead redemption - time is slowed in shootdodge and focus mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TimeShift

one that relies heavily on time control

• Registered Users Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Dishonored has an optional skill that involves time manipulation. Dunno if that counts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Return of the Obra Dinn only has a demo of sorts out, but it features some unique time manipulation mechanics.

Remember Me has some time skullduggery in its memory sections.

Transistor also features a planning mode that lets you stop time and then Attack at super speed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It seemed to be added into a lot of racing games for a while, with the ability to reverse time after screwing up a section of track.
    Slo mo in game became trendy in the wake of the Matrix pictures but sniper scenes often have a gratuitous kill shot in slo mo as well.
    Blinx is dreadfully clunky and, like many games, you are very limited in how you can use time manipulation as they don't want you breaking the game, Singularity is the same though at least that is based around a solid fps core.
    Time played a massive part in the GameCube game Eternal Darkness, while you can't travel in our manipulate the time dimension the way the game is structured makes past present and future all interlink, well worth playing tbh.

Advertisement