Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie question...

Options
  • 24-11-2014 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I have recently primed my first batch while bottling, and have been reading a good bit about priming.
    Could someone please explain to me what the process for batch priming is and the difference in the end product as opposed to priming in the bottles?
    Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

To batch prime you work out how much sugar you need using a calculator like this. Boil it up in a little water to sanitise. Add it to a sanitised fermenter. Rack the beer on to it and bottle from there.

The main advantage is consistency: you know you have an even amount of priming sugar in each bottle. It's more hygienic than adding unsanitised sugar too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ECau

Cheers BeerNut!
    Do you need to mix the beer around after racking onto the sugar? And do you bottle asap or leave it sit at all?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

No, racking in on top of the sugar solution mixes it enough. Stirring would only introduce unwanted oxygen. And bottle immediately -- a new fermentation phase will kick off and you need the CO2 that comes out to be trapped in your bottles.

Advertisement