Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winterval 2015

Options
  • 24-11-2014 2:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭

Spent the day Saturday in around the city, there was a great buzz around, hats off to the organisers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

If I had access to Time Travel I would have gone a lot further than that tbh. Still, good to know it will still be going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Once again the viking triangle gets it all,they moved the all year round traders to the back of Shaws and completely forgot about O Connell street, where there are businesses that are charged the same rate valuation as the rest of the town, not so much as a light bulb did they get.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Once again the viking triangle gets it all,they moved the all year round traders to the back of Shaws and completely forgot about O Connell street, where there are businesses that are charged the same rate valuation as the rest of the town, not so much as a light bulb did they get.:mad:

I was waiting for some Winterval bashing to start. There is a fixed amount of stalls, are suggesting spreading it out more making the whole festival less user friendly? doesnt really makes sense to have it stretched from the VT all the way down O Connell st. Added to that, I think the spread is good taking into account the retail core of the city and keeping it nice and compact.

Besides,Garter lane is invloved in Winterval, thats on O Connell st, Waterford on Ice is down that end of the city too.

Happy to oblige Max.
    All I am saying is that the businesses in O Connell st pay the same rates as every other business in the town and they got not so much as a light bulb as for Garter Lane or the ice rink I fail to see your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I think the organisers can't win really. I see your point about not much being down that area, but if they say did half there and half at Viking triangle people would be complaining that it was too spread out and it'd probably feel very small at both.

I didn't make it in this weekend but heard done great reports. I think it's a pity when the only thread we have about an amazing event for Waterford (which will hopefully bring in much needed good vibes) is one complaining rather than being positive about the event.

Who knows, if people get behund it again this year then maybe next year they'll be even bigger and spread to even more of the city. Plus from memory after last years event they had meetings where people could go to girv their opinions on how it all was so you should keep an eye for that and get your opinion heard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Coming to Waterford next weekend for this, looking forward to bringing the little lad.

The Xmas Markets in Dublin are a major disappointment - just the usual shíte of Burgers, "German" Sausages, crepes and noodles, tat for sale and overpriced coffee.

This any different?

Coming to Waterford next weekend for this, looking forward to bringing the little lad.

The Xmas Markets in Dublin are a major disappointment - just the usual shíte of Burgers, "German" Sausages, crepes and noodles, tat for sale and overpriced coffee.

This any different?

eh...
    scared-smile-hiding-behind-couch.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

This any different?

Nope, same as Cork too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Nope, same as Cork too

No it's not, the stalls may be , but the whole Winterval concept is much bigger than the stalls, in fact they are a small percent of the whole experience,

wellboytoo wrote: »
    No it's not, the stalls may be , but the whole Winterval concept is much bigger than the stalls, in fact they are a small percent of the whole experience,

And the festival is a better experience for it in my opinion

• Advertisement

The food is probably along the same lines but I think Winterval is more about the whole experience than just the food stalls. There's pther craft stalls, and I think even a craft market in Garter Lane. Then there's the light show, toy museum, and all the extras like carousel, ferris wheel etc.
    Plenty to keep kids and adults entertained!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

We have blaas too.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

EMAIL FOR A LISTENER - ????
    {{<Hello Karen and Timmy
    As I write this email I've had a lovely weekend at Winterval in Waterford and fair play to all the organisers it has Waterford looking lovely and we should be so proud of our city. i took my children in around on saturday and we saw Keith Barry's magic show on the mall.
    Everything was brilliant but something i saw in town on Saturday really annoyed me. I was upstairs in ~***** getting a few things when I saw a woman, about my own age in her forties, with a small child in a buggy and two other children about 8 or 9. She was in the shop plain as day buying herself a Mrs Claus outfit in the underwear department. I felt sorry for the poor children with this one parading around the shop. It was a red underwear outfit with white fur trim. Imagine a mammy buying this in front of everyone. I think Christmas is about children and family and this kind of thing shouldn't be done like you're buying a jumper or a coat. I really was digusted and I left the shop straight away with my own children. I wanted to remind people to keep Christmas in Waterford about Winterval and about family.

I can only lol

It's like a Fr Ted script.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I love the dinky doughnuts, never have been so happy in my life after I was satiated by consuming such a wonderful pleasure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Traders on Ballybricken don't seem do happy due to a lack of events in the Ballybricken area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

I love the dinky doughnuts, never have been so happy in my life after I was satiated by consuming such a wonderful pleasure.

I love them too, but my blood sugar levels don't :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

KevIRL wrote: »
    {{<Hello Karen and Timmy
    As I write this email I've had a lovely weekend at Winterval in Waterford and fair play to all the organisers it has Waterford looking lovely and we should be so proud of our city. i took my children in around on saturday and we saw Keith Barry's magic show on the mall.
    Everything was brilliant but something i saw in town on Saturday really annoyed me. I was upstairs in ~***** getting a few things when I saw a woman, about my own age in her forties, with a small child in a buggy and two other children about 8 or 9. She was in the shop plain as day buying herself a Mrs Claus outfit in the underwear department. I felt sorry for the poor children with this one parading around the shop. It was a red underwear outfit with white fur trim. Imagine a mammy buying this in front of everyone. I think Christmas is about children and family and this kind of thing shouldn't be done like you're buying a jumper or a coat. I really was digusted and I left the shop straight away with my own children. I wanted to remind people to keep Christmas in Waterford about Winterval and about family.

I can only lol

Ah here she's got little to be complaining about. It's her husband I feel sorrry for. At least the woman buying the underwear is happy and enjoying herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

{{<Hello Karen and Timmy

I can only lol

That can't be for real?!
    People can be so bloody weird!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

{{<Hello Karen and Timmy

I can only lol

I's say they hadn't got a size xxxxxxxl was all was wrong with her

• Advertisement

{{<Hello Karen and Timmy

I can only lol

If it was signed "Mother of 8" it would resemble a letter to the Editor of the Sunday World in the seventies.

Just back from a brilliant weekend in Waterford for Winterval. Stayed in The Tower hotel, which was good.

Myself, the wife and our 7 month old son. Had a great time, did the sleigh ride, snow globe and saw Santy in the same building as the Snow Globe, had a very comfortable stroll, with the buggy, around the stalls and marketplace.

The best thing was the Light Show, and even my son was enthralled by it.

Small disappointment that the craft beer taps in The Reg were frozen yesterday, but that's not a Winterval complaint

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

^^^^
    As above but I disappointed with the stalls. being the baby's first christmas, i was looking to get a christmas tree decoration to celebrate (I have decorations from every place I have been for the last 10 years).

No-one was selling decorations, or any kind of crafting goods. We bought one in a shop but I think a trick is being missed. Couldnt find a Waterford christmas mug either.

But having said that, we had a great time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Did ye get to the craft fair in garter lane?

Have to agree about the stalls this year. Very poor selection and low amount. I realise Winterval is about a lot more than just the market but its still a big part of it.

All that said, the rest of the festival was fantastic and great to see the city buzzing

Did ye get to the craft fair in garter lane?

Ah shíte, we walked past it yesterday afternoon, fully planning to go back and stroll around, then forgot about it until just now.

Did ye go into the shop in the medival museum at the market? They've a good selection of decorations and it's set up like a Christmas shop. One section there was some kind of glass decorations that they'll engrave with details like first Christmas and name etc.

sillysocks wrote: »
    Did ye go into the shop in the medival museum at the market? They've a good selection of decorations and it's set up like a Christmas shop. One section there was some kind of glass decorations that they'll engrave with details like first Christmas and name etc.

yeah, we went in there and got a few peices, actually not bad value.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Good to hear Ryan Tubridy praising Winterval on his show this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭spookwoman

So businesses asking for the right to have their area of the city included in festivities for once is Winterval bashing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

spookwoman wrote: »
    So businesses asking for the right to have their area of the city included in festivities for once is Winterval bashing?

no but the festival cant spread to all parts of city with current funding and winterval rep said they will gladly include other areas if they have an idea/offering to bring to the festival. i suspect with the experts and joe duffys on here that if it was spread out more in its current state they will be on here complaining that it is too spread out.

Advertisement