Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winterval 2015

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

John Mason wrote: »
    No-one was selling decorations, or any kind of crafting goods.

Pretty sure you'd find these and many more at Polish Christmas Market, Parnell Street

10828076_501125246696148_4430302844775766207_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

John Mason wrote: »
    ^^^^
    As above but I disappointed with the stalls. being the baby's first christmas, i was looking to get a christmas tree decoration to celebrate (I have decorations from every place I have been for the last 10 years).

No-one was selling decorations, or any kind of crafting goods. We bought one in a shop but I think a trick is being missed. Couldnt find a Waterford christmas mug either.

But having said that, we had a great time :)

There's a craft market every Friday in Olaf's hall (back entrance to city square). It's kind of a waste where it is, you'd barely notice it even passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Max Powers wrote: »
    no but the festival cant spread to all parts of city with current funding and winterval rep said they will gladly include other areas if they have an idea/offering to bring to the festival. i suspect with the experts and joe duffys on here that if it was spread out more in its current state they will be on here complaining that it is too spread out.

eh isn't it the job of the organisers to organise and plan the event? The"experts and Joe Duffy's" as you want to call them are the people who are attending, spending their money and also paying the same rates as the rest of the city so they are entitled to have an opinion. Taken from the examiner this year ref tall ships and winterval events in waterford "“These should be fully funded by the end of 2014, with the exception of the Winterval capital expenditure, which will be fully funded from revenue by the end of 2015.”"
    Lot of people park in Ballybricken so shouldn't that automatically be included because people will be there anyways. Everything happens around the Viking Triangle which has a lot of council property where the events are taking place, which to me looks like they are more interested in lining their own pockets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

spookwoman wrote: »
    eh isn't it the job of the organisers to organise and plan the event? The"experts and Joe Duffy's" as you want to call them are the people who are attending, spending their money and also paying the same rates as the rest of the city so they are entitled to have an opinion. Taken from the examiner this year ref tall ships and winterval events in waterford "“These should be fully funded by the end of 2014, with the exception of the Winterval capital expenditure, which will be fully funded from revenue by the end of 2015.”"
    Lot of people park in Ballybricken so shouldn't that automatically be included because people will be there anyways. Everything happens around the Viking Triangle which has a lot of council property where the events are taking place, which to me looks like they are more interested in lining their own pockets.
    I hear where your coming from, but I would say to you to give it time, the whole concept of the Viking triangle from day one was to create a focal point and critical mass.
    It has now borne the Winterval festival and the Harvest festival, and increased tourist numbers significantly, but it is a long term plan, there are a lot of behind the scenes moves to get the Brewery site going again next year, which will bring more business, closer to you.
    Waterford has neglected itself and been neglected by Government for a lot of years, so there is a lot of catching up to do, but it is happening and with support will retain it's rightful place in the Irish Landscape.
    In the meantime I would suggest you and your fellow traders organise , find a niche that is not catered for at the moment and approach Winterval for next year with your plan, they would be more than happy to bring ye on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

spookwoman wrote: »

In fairness Ballybricken has a lot of potential but could do with some redevelopment. Even as it is, it is an ideal place for some Winter activity, possibly a multitude of wooden crafts/food stalls?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

wellboytoo wrote: »
    I hear where your coming from, but I would say to you to give it time, the whole concept of the Viking triangle from day one was to create a focal point and critical mass.
    It has now borne the Winterval festival and the Harvest festival, and increased tourist numbers significantly, but it is a long term plan, there are a lot of behind the scenes moves to get the Brewery site going again next year, which will bring more business, closer to you.
    Waterford has neglected itself and been neglected by Government for a lot of years, so there is a lot of catching up to do, but it is happening and with support will retain it's rightful place in the Irish Landscape.
    In the meantime I would suggest you and your fellow traders organise , find a niche that is not catered for at the moment and approach Winterval for next year with your plan, they would be more than happy to bring ye on board.

Exactly, does the complainer think that it would be good for the festival or the city to spread events out more? I dont think so, its spread out well enough, not too big, not too small. The organisers plan and organise the event and are doing a brilliant job by all accounts us having Ireland's best festival and that but they cant keep every corner of the city in it at current funding levels and size. The complaint that everything is in the VT is just untrue. Lots of people park in the glen too but there aint much there too, should something be there, what about Millers marsh area, the area around the park...cant do it all.

O Riain wrote: »
    it is an ideal place for some Winter activity
    Gigantic ice slide, bobsled track from the Ballybricken down to the Glen.
    That's an idea for the next year!

Interested parties contact me by PM for account number so I could collect % of your future earnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

Bobsleigh would be class. Theres loads of potential in ballybricken. Would a temporary ski slope would be realistic on the green? Sking, boading, tubing etc...

http://www.baseline-promotions.co.uk/hire-portable-ski-and-snowboard-slopes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

I feel the whole Winterval idea is great but it has left me a little cold this year (pardon the pun). The number of stalls is down, the video show is not as good as the previous two years and most of the stalls are selling food which is overpriced. Now I can imagine that the appalling weather of last Christmas made it a difficult sell for the organisers and credit for the Sleigh ride and the other activities but it doesn't appear to me to be growing year on year. I understand that the cost of the stalls is very high and maybe this is off putting for a lot of businesses but I suppose the bottom line of increased visitors to the city could mean a benefit across all sectors and people then see Winterval as a roaring success!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,432 ✭✭✭✭looksee

My understanding is that the stalls are priced out of craftworkers' reach. You would need to produce a lot of crafts to cover the cost of the stalls. The city council would, it seems, prefer to take high rates from a few shops left open, rather than less rates from a lot of shops. In the same way they seem to be regarding the stalls as a source of revenue, rather than something that will attract visitors to the city.

I went into Waterford last wednesday to see what was on offer, to be told that it was not on until Thursday. Later I heard someone in a shop asking the same question, the girls serving had no idea but i was able to tell her it was not open till the next day. I have just tried to google the opening times but all i can get (in spite of references to 2015) is information about 2013 and 2014.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭floyd333

scout353 wrote: »
    I feel the whole Winterval idea is great but it has left me a little cold this year (pardon the pun). The number of stalls is down, the video show is not as good as the previous two years and most of the stalls are selling food which is overpriced. Now I can imagine that the appalling weather of last Christmas made it a difficult sell for the organisers and credit for the Sleigh ride and the other activities but it doesn't appear to me to be growing year on year. I understand that the cost of the stalls is very high and maybe this is off putting for a lot of businesses but I suppose the bottom line of increased visitors to the city could mean a benefit across all sectors and people then see Winterval as a roaring success!

I agree with everything here . I feel a bit meh about it this year. It's becoming a bit predictable already. And it's expensive. A full family day out would set you back a good bit. I miss the independent craft stalls. I also liked the Ardkeen pop up food store the first year. Overall though it is a good thing for the city. I see other towns are starting to copy it now too. Someone said wexford have a similar winter in wexford event.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

The fact that it's only open 3 days a week is a bit **** too. Call me negative if you want but this is not progressing in the way that it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

The fact that it's only open 3 days a week is a bit **** too. Call me negative if you want but this is not progressing in the way that it should.

People in work and all the kids still in school, no point having it all week until the christmas holidays start.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

looksee wrote: »
    My understanding is that the stalls are priced out of craftworkers' reach. You would need to produce a lot of crafts to cover the cost of the stalls. The city council would, it seems, prefer to take high rates from a few shops left open, rather than less rates from a lot of shops. In the same way they seem to be regarding the stalls as a source of revenue, rather than something that will attract visitors to the city.

I went into Waterford last wednesday to see what was on offer, to be told that it was not on until Thursday. Later I heard someone in a shop asking the same question, the girls serving had no idea but i was able to tell her it was not open till the next day. I have just tried to google the opening times but all i can get (in spite of references to 2015) is information about 2013 and 2014.

But this is Winterval 2014 isnt it?

MARKETS
    Nov. 21-23, 28-30. Dec. 5-7, 11-14, 18 - 23
    Friday 10am - 8pm
    Saturday 11am - 8pm,
    Sunday 12 - 8pm
    Thursday 11 & 18 December 11am - 8pm

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭MillyD123

I must agree that it doesn't seem as good this year. Fewer stalls and very little in the way of homemade crafts. Things I would usually pick up as Xmas gifts. Also I brought my three young kids into town on Sunday last hoping to go to the elves work shop which was advertised to open at 12. Got there (in the rain ) to find a handwritten note on the door saying not open until 1pm. Grand so passed an hour at the toy museum. Went back at 1.15 to find a new note announcing they weren't opening until 1.30. Didn't bother waiting around any longer as it we were soaked. But very disappointing all around

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭iphonehead

I see all points of view, and totally accept them - if you go outside the Viking Triangle (anyone else getting fed up of that over-used term?) you'd hardly know Winterval is on - but to be fair, to stand on the Mall as I did last week surrounded by families, ferris wheels and helterskelters, horses and trains and to see 400 happy children streaming out of the panto and another 100 streaming out of Santa - it makes you feel great about Waterford and forget the crap - if only for that brief moment or two!

It does look great and this video proves it alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,432 ✭✭✭✭looksee

But this is Winterval 2014 isnt it?

MARKETS
    Nov. 21-23, 28-30. Dec. 5-7, 11-14, 18 - 23
    Friday 10am - 8pm
    Saturday 11am - 8pm,
    Sunday 12 - 8pm
    Thursday 11 & 18 December 11am - 8pm

Yes, :o title of the thread threw me, mea culpa, mutter mutter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Are the food and craft stalls down by Bishops Palace only open at weekends? Im just after coming from town, and bar the hot dog stand, which is only alright, there isnt a single stall open. Surprised, I would have thought coming up to Xmas week, they would be open weekdays as well.

No. They do open today at 12 noon and run full steam ahead, finishing on 23rd.

• Advertisement

Busiest day of the year and a lot of the events not starting until 12 o clock. Mad really. Town is busy since 9

In saying all that - everything is great - santa and all the elves etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Busiest day of the year and a lot of the events not starting until 12 o clock. Mad really. Town is busy since 9

Well to be fair im sure santa is up to his eyes the last weekend before christmas ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Just back from it. We thought it was amazing and our 2 kids loved it.

Advertisement