Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How medicated are you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Sclosages wrote: »
    I actually think your bowel habits tells a lot about your health lol

Hell yeah. Eat well, and blow health out yer ass. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

A daily morning bowel movement is not to be sneezed at lol

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

kowloon wrote: »
    I was like that for years, wouldn't take things for anything but then my pancreas decided it didn't like its job and resigned. Now that I have to take insulin to survive I take an 'in for a penny, in for a pound' approach.

Same thing with me. I was never one to take medicines. It took a lot to convince me to take a painkiller let alone go to the doctor! Then lucky me developed Epilepsy so I'm now on 4 pills in the morning and 6 at night. Still takes a lot to make me take a painkiller or any other type of meds though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Migraleave is available over the counter and is very good.

Wiki says these have codeine in them? I was told to avoid codeine (which works wonders) cause it can cause more headaches.
    Its a never ending saga :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

Very seldom take medication. Wouldn’t take anything for headache or back ache unless it’s really bad.
    I’ve been on antibiotics twice – once about 12 years ago for tonsillitis and about 4 years ago for a really bad kidney infection.
    I was in a car accident earlier this year and the hospital gave me a script for Difene, Tylex and Valium – none of which I took so they’re all still sitting at home.
    I went through a bout of about a year or 2 of depression but I never took medication for that.

I use Panadol drinks when I get a cold, but other than that, I don’t really take anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wuzziwig

blacklilly wrote: »
    I was prescribed Lyrica once for back issues and had crazy hallucinations with them, also felt very "high" for want of a better word, Seemingly they're quite addictive. I was back with my Doctor within 2 weeks of starting them as I couldn't keep taking them.

Not on and have never been on an medication apart from some relating to back pain a few years ago.

They don't do anything like that to me. No fair!!! :p

HiGlo wrote: »
    Very seldom take medication. Wouldn’t take anything for headache or back ache unless it’s really bad.
    I’ve been on antibiotics twice – once about 12 years ago for tonsillitis and about 4 years ago for a really bad kidney infection.
    I was in a car accident earlier this year and the hospital gave me a script for Difene, Tylex and Valium – none of which I took so they’re all still sitting at home.
    I went through a bout of about a year or 2 of depression but I never took medication for that.

I use Panadol drinks when I get a cold, but other than that, I don’t really take anything.

A martyr!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Three groups have formed in this thread.

Those of us who take meds because we know they help us.

Those who have no need to take meds so far and count themselves lucky.

And the last group who have super powers to be able to 'tough it out' and just 'know' that too many meds are being handed out, even thet they've not taken them. They are also really condescending and self-righteous when the truth is that theyve not got a clue because they aren't medical people just keyboard doctors ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I just knew this thread would move to the subject of Bowels!
    I agree with you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

I’m sorry, does the fact that I don’t need medication upset you? Sorry about that.
    I’ll ensure to start taking drugs in order that I don’t come across as self righteous…… :rolleyes:

I’m not a “martyr”. I don’t “tough it out” – I just haven’t needed to take stuff. I wasn't in any pain/discomfort after the car accident so didn't need it.
    If I get a headache, I drink water. If I get back ache, I go to bed early (I know what the cause of the pain is). If I really needed it, I’d be first in line – don’t you worry. I just have been lucky that I haven’t had much requirement for medication in my life so far.
    I’ve been having trouble sleeping for the last while so I’m planning to go to the doctor to get a prescription for something. I’ve also had my fair share of a few class A’s and B’s….. Hardly sitting here on my high horse now am I??

I don’t look down on people that need or choose medication – it is their life. It has nothing to do with me. I completely respect that it works for some, it doesn't for others.

Perhaps my post came across in a way I didn't intend so apologies for that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

lukesmom wrote: »

And the last group who have super powers to be able to 'tough it out' and just 'know' that too many meds are being handed out, even thet they've not taken them. They are also really condescending and self-righteous when the truth is that theyve not got a clue because they aren't medical people just keyboard doctors ;)
    There's a fourth possible group, hypochondriacs, the chronically well, who aren't happy unless they come back from the GP with a script. Others would be those who opt for the pills and unctions rather than make lifestyle changes that would have the same or better effect.

As for not having a clue, if someone had come on a thread like this 10 or 20 years ago and suggested that there was a real risk coming from overuse of antibiotics they'd have equally been accused of not having a clue and how did that work out?

As I said these drugs and other more recent treatments are fantastic innovations. I am no treat it with crystals and positive thinking hippie type, however I do think that a balance needs to be set and current medical fashions need to be constantly questioned and updated when required.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

I've no medical issues and rarely sick thankfully. I very rarely take pain killers, I'd have to be really bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Have been on anti-depressants in the past (including Lexepro, which was the first one I was ever put on and which made me very resistant to going on medication for a long time, even when I badly needed to), and I use codeine and weed to manage period pain. Apart from that nothing, I think I've been on antibiotics maybe ten times. I'm not anti-medication at all, it's just that I'm lucky enough to not have any long term conditions that require me to be on any, I'm rarely sick, and if I am it's nothing that bed-rest and Lemsips won't take care of.

Have been on anti-depressants in the past (including Lexepro, which was the first one I was ever put on and which made me very resistant to going on medication for a long time, even when I badly needed to), and I use codeine and weed to manage period pain. Apart from that nothing, I think I've been on antibiotics maybe ten times. I'm not anti-medication at all, it's just that I'm lucky enough to not have any long term conditions that require me to be on any, I'm rarely sick, and if I am it's nothing that bed-rest and Lemsips won't take care of.

You didn't go 2 years with untreated depression.

You didn't go 2 years with untreated depression.

What?

What?

Was my sentence incoherent?

Was my sentence incoherent?

Could do with some context, seeing as I never said I went two years with untreated depression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Could do with some context, seeing as I never said I went two years with untreated depression.

It was a (bizarre) dig at another poster I think.

I was posting with reference to a poster who stated they struggled for 2 years with depression (their diagnosis, not mine).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

lukesmom wrote: »

Irony alert.

• Advertisement

Nobody should be taking pills. Pharma companies profit from illness. Ignore your prescriptions! BURN THEM!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I waited FAR to long for that gif to do something.

There's a pill you could take to help with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

It was always there, you have to apply directly for it. This is where going directly to the welfare officer would make it easier.

From I know, you need to have your psychiatrist diagnose with S.A.D, and say that with this you should be off meds etc.(essentially that the lamp would be your treatment.)

Damn.....wonder would my psrink take me off meds for a month to get me a lamp? After all, she is the one that suggested it :D Only problem is that I'm bipolar not SAD

HiGlo wrote: »
    I’m sorry, does the fact that I don’t need medication upset you? Sorry about that.
    I’ll ensure to start taking drugs in order that I don’t come across as self righteous…… :rolleyes:

I’m not a “martyr”. I don’t “tough it out” – I just haven’t needed to take stuff. I wasn't in any pain/discomfort after the car accident so didn't need it.
    If I get a headache, I drink water. If I get back ache, I go to bed early (I know what the cause of the pain is). If I really needed it, I’d be first in line – don’t you worry. I just have been lucky that I haven’t had much requirement for medication in my life so far.
    I’ve been having trouble sleeping for the last while so I’m planning to go to the doctor to get a prescription for something. I’ve also had my fair share of a few class A’s and B’s….. Hardly sitting here on my high horse now am I??

I don’t look down on people that need or choose medication – it is their life. It has nothing to do with me. I completely respect that it works for some, it doesn't for others.

Perhaps my post came across in a way I didn't intend so apologies for that.

No I wasn't talking about you. If you read my post you are in the second group, you don't take meds but don't bash others for taking them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Went from no need to visit the GP nor meds in ten years to needing a smorgasbord of daily medication. Counted what I was talking one day and it was 38 tablets. From targin and oxy to benzos and a horrid mix of stemetil/valoid/dexamethasone.

Your health is truly your wealth, enjoy whilst you can!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I take tablets for cholesterol and blood pressure as well as aspirin due to having some stents put in in my late 20's. Recently discovered i could buy 6 months in 1 go, that and the move to generics brings my 6 month bill down to e85 where it was e65/ month at it's cheapest in my local pharmacy....never did a full like with like comparison but was definitely getting shafted by shopping local

I take tablets for cholesterol and blood pressure as well as aspirin due to having some stents put in in my late 20's. Recently discovered i could buy 6 months in 1 go, that and the move to generics brings my 6 month bill down to e85 where it was e65/ month at it's cheapest in my local pharmacy....

Perhaps you should go back to your local pharmacy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Contraceptive pill, caffeine and vitamins when I remember to take them.

i hope you're not a catholic, its a sin you know

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Perhaps you should go back to your local pharmacy?

that's e85 for 6 months v e65 per month in the local

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Sneezing during a particularly hefty one isn't a great job either, I can tell you. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

I am on antidepressants, eltroxin for my non-existent thyroid, migraine tablets but I can't remember the name of them, depo provera and can't forget about the insulin injections because of my non functioning pancreas!

Had never been on medication bar painkillers until 5 years ago, simply because there was no need for it. But when it rains it pours :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Aeternum wrote: »
    depo provera

Has been known to cause depression & migraines in some patients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

I have had migraines for about three years and depression for around two but I only started depo a few months ago and it helped with other issues I was having, so it seems worth it for me so far anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Was on a sleeping tablet and Cytlophram (I think thats how you spell it) for depression earlier in the year. Those made me feel weird so I stopped taking them.

Now am on nothing, rekindled my love of sports I had just point blank stopped and I cant remember why and began waking up in the morning actually feeling ok.

Got out of my brief stint of depression by training 5 nights a week with a match on the weekends.

Alls gravy now, odd neurophen for an odd headache

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

FanadMan wrote: »
    Damn.....wonder would my psrink take me off meds for a month to get me a lamp? After all, she is the one that suggested it :D Only problem is that I'm bipolar not SAD

ah that could cause some issues for you s:
    Lamps aren't an official treatment for bp. Of course nothing stopping your psych writing it out and claiming it would be an important part of your treatment, and going to the welfare officer with that. (I wouldn't go through med.card directly..but good chance getting it paid for through the welfare officer, oh and if they say "no", you can appeal....bit of hassle but might be worth doing, it's up to yourself.)

Alternatively, maybe leave pictures of the one you want around at family/friends, as a #hint hint# christmas present :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Wibbs wrote: »
    Aye, but with anti depressants I am getting more than a sniff of how antibiotics were over used in the past. They're the go to drug for too many GP's. I've seen this with my own two eyes with friends and family over the years. Just as some GP's handed/hand out antibiotics like smarties and others are more reluctant to, so it seems to be with anti depressants. Like antibiotics it's not just down to the GP, as many patients will specifically ask for them.

Again like antibiotics I see them as very powerful drugs that do have a powerful effect on people's outcomes, but just as you shouldn't automatically chug penicillin for a sniffle, you shouldn't automatically chug SSRI's and the like for a mental sniffle. The science backs this up too. These drugs are incredibly effective, nay life savers for many of those with severe depression, but run the same as placebo with milder forms.

Tbh, I think people are to blame more than doctors, in the case of taking anti-d's if they don't need.

I know a few, who are quicker to take tablets, than see a counsellor, somehow if it's from the doctor, it's "more affective" and shure "what do the ole counsellor know, they learned it from a book!".
    You don't go to a doctor expecting them to suggest holistic treatment, personally, if I want that, I'll go straight to the source.

I must say, younger doctors, seem to be more informed, and although they'll start you on meds, you will often be placed on counselling waiting lists etc. In fact, this could be wrong, but, I don't think a GP is supposed to prescribe anti-d's long term, without having the patient reviewed by a psychiatrist (though a patient can refuse this, and the GP isn't to stop prescribing your meds..so it;s a difficult one,more so than the anti-biotics, I think.)

I have to agree with the counselling point in the last post. Even though I'm on a combination of meds for my anxiety disorder, psychology sessions have been absolutely paramount to my recovery and staying well. I think combining meds with talk therapy is the winning formula. Important to get the right psychologist though. I was going to a lady for sessions but she wasn't right for me as lovely as she was. So I asked for a different psychologist and it made a world of difference. I'm not surprised there are so many on this thread taking antidepressants because the crowd waiting in our local mental health centre to see the psychiatrists/psychologists and attending the day centre is huge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Sertraline 150mg for PTSD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

Currently on 75mg of Effexor for depression, no real issues so far but I feel much the same as before, probably gonna need an increased dosage.

Only previous routine prescriptions that I can recall were:
    Lexapro (20mg, 2009-10): a bit of a disaster in a few ways; expensive, seemed to have the opposite effect to what I desired, and another thing
    Oxytetracycline for acne (can't remember the dosage, 2006-08): immediately effective and ruined my evening hobby of popping spots in front of the mirror :(

Also had antibiotics/steroids for pneumonia, mono and a throat infection, usually take a multivitamin of some kind too. Not very against medication or anything but have had few times where I've actually needed them, fortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭nadey

Paroxetine for depression/anxiety, diazepam for alcohol hangovers and zimmos when I cant sleep. Weed also helps me sleep

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

wuzziwig wrote: »
    They don't do anything like that to me. No fair!!! :p

They DID do that for me, and tbh are fcuking scary. The addictive quality is scary. I ended up with a serious problem with them.

ANY drug that makes me feel 'high,' I'll never take again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Tramadol at the moment for a knee injury, good stuff :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Seroquel and mylan for me sins.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭nadey

They DID do that for me, and tbh are fcuking scary. The addictive quality is scary. I ended up with a serious problem with them.

ANY drug that makes me feel 'high,' I'll never take again.

Thats the whole point of them ya mad thing,,,, who doesnt wanna be high?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

nadey wrote: »
    Thats the whole point of them ya mad thing,,,, who doesnt wanna be high?

Wow.

The point of anxiety medication is to ease anxiety. Not to get high.

Wow.

The point of anxiety medication is to ease anxiety. Not to get high.

I took it that he was joking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

I just took an antihistamine cuz they help me sleep, followed by a hint of of ventolin spray and I'll be sleeping soundly any minute n

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Overflow wrote: »
    Tramadol at the moment for a knee injury, good stuff :D

Lovely little stone off those things :D

Me;

Allopurinol to prevent me getting gout.

For Judo injuries I regularly use Difene.

For fun I occasionally use Tramadol :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

Stillnoct..only way I can get some sleep..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Lots of people on lots of interesting stuff.

My list includes olmesartan medoxomil and amlodipine besilate, both for hypertension, aspirin, paracetamol, ibuprofen.

Other stuff in the house: There's codant (the daughter's-basically codeine on its own in tablet form), tramadol (the wife's), and some iodine tablets. :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement