Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How medicated are you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

Just some omega 3 tabs 4 or 5 times a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Lovely little stone off those things :D

Me;

Allopurinol to prevent me getting gout.

For Judo injuries I regularly use Difene.

For fun I occasionally use Tramadol :D

Aye, tis quiet pleasant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

Wibbs wrote: »
    There's a fourth possible group, hypochondriacs, the chronically well, who aren't happy unless they come back from the GP with a script.

Wibbs i think you misunderstand what true hypochondria is. I have suffered from health anxiety off and on for about 15 years. It comes and goes. I can go years without issue. But then i begin to experience symptoms and i misinterpret them as signs of serious illness. It then become a vicious cycle of worry making symptoms worse and the worsening symptoms being misinterpreted as getting sicker. For me its always symptom lead. I don't just decide out of the blue to go bothering doctors. There has also been times when i have avoided the doctor for months because i was so afraid of getting a particular diagnosis. I have suffered with depression and anxiety too. They are intertwined in my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭tempnam

Nothing at all for me.

A couple of years ago I was suffering badly with panic attacks and general anxiety. It was scary how quick my GP prescribed xanax.

I went back to him a few months later for a follow up and I actually had to refuse anorher prescription.

I went to counselling and practiced breathing exercises which seem to keep it at bay.

I'd always question a doctor's reasoning for jumping to write prescriptions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Letree wrote: »
    Wibbs i think you misunderstand what true hypochondria is.
    With respect, I don't think I do. Indeed I would class it as a mental illness of varying degrees and impacts on a person's life. The objective reality would still stand, IE such a person wouldn't actually be "sick", outside of the condition of hypochondria itself.

Dont get me wrong L, in your personal circumstance it is something you suffer from, need help for and I truly hope you get it and come out the other side and hope you're getting better day by day. I'm talking more of the milder non serious cases of the same condition which IMH are the majority. If I was comparing it to an allergy, I'd equate you with someone with actual coeliac disease that is life and wellbeing threatening as opposed to the majority of those claiming "wheat insensitivity" and the like, that is based on self diagnosis, google and quackery/bullshít.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Having a bout of constipation the last few days so taking my strong stuff for that for the next couple of days. Also having my wisdom teeth out soon so will be taking an antibiotic and 2 pain medications

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

2 Telfast and 2 neo-claritin a day. 1 of each in the morning and 1 of each at night to try keep my allergies under control. I also have another anti-histamine for when am not getting relief from my symptoms but it makes me like a zombie so I don't take it. I also carry an annapen in case of anaphalatic shock.

Also 2 inhalers that I dont really take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Witchie wrote: »
    2 Telfast and 2 neo-claritin a day. 1 of each in the morning and 1 of each at night to try keep my allergies under control.

Were you told by your GP to do that? Thats a very high dose. I take one Telfast to relieve itching from a skin condition but never more then that and absolutely never another antihistamine at the same time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I haven't taken any allopathic medication for anything for at least 11/12 years now, with the exception of getting a HEP-A vaccine before travelling to China. I have taken herbal remedies (etc) for various things and I like to treat minor issues with diet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I take occasional ibuprofen for back pain or a headache. I'm also on a PPI for my stomach. It's a condition that I and everyone in my family have. I actually don't take it too much, it's more as needed. there have been months and months where I haven't touched the stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Overflow wrote: »
    Aye, tis quiet pleasant :)
    Lovely little stone off those things :D

Me;

Allopurinol to prevent me getting gout.

For Judo injuries I regularly use Difene.

For fun I occasionally use Tramadol :D

2 (or 3) of them, and a toot of a spliff, and I'm a mushy little pink cloud.

Morphine, though. I can see how it could be habit forming.

Currently nothing for me either - rarely even alcohol. I do on rare occasions dip into the collection of illegal incense that was gifted to me by some of the students in my free Vipassana guided meditation "classes" but not often at all.

Has to happen sometime though. I can not keep up the kind of active life I do without something needing medical augmentation at _some_ point.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭nadey

2 (or 3) of them, and a toot of a spliff, and I'm a mushy little pink cloud.

Morphine, though. I can see how it could be habit forming.

Is tramadol otc? I presume it has to be prescribed since its a pretty strong opiate.

Wibbs wrote: »
    If I was comparing it to an allergy, I'd equate you with someone with actual coeliac disease that is life and wellbeing threatening as opposed to the majority of those claiming "wheat insensitivity" and the like, that is based on self diagnosis, google and quackery/bullshít.

Wheat intolerance exists outside of full blown coeliac

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm sure it does B, but I'd bet the farm it's a damn sight rarer than what is claimed.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Has to happen sometime though. I can not keep up the kind of active life I do without something needing medical augmentation at _some_ point.

This has nothing to do with the thread, but every time you use underscores like that to add emphasis to a word it makes me read it as if you are a robot that's forgotten to pretend you're a human for a second and suddenly starting speaking like a robot (ye know, kinda like the way those Darlik lads out of Doctor who speak).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

Pain meds anti inflammatorys and muscle relaxants which are amazing :) all for a shoulder injury may have to get more muscle relaxants before I say I'm ok hehe :)

strobe wrote: »
    This has nothing to do with the thread, but every time you use underscores like that to add emphasis to a word it makes me read it as if you are a robot that's forgotten to pretend you're a human for a second and suddenly starting speaking like a robot (ye know, kinda like the way those Darlik lads out of Doctor who speak).

I hate using italics. A lot of people do not see them. I often use CAPS but that is just ugly. So I settled on _underscore_ when I saw another poster from the Religion forums (who I somewhat admit to hero worshipping and emulating on a few things) switch to them.

But yes in general I suck at adding emphasis to sentences textually. But the way I write and speak seems to require it. I do not feel my intended emphasis is something I communicate well in how I write - so I require additional cues to achieve it. 1 comment on it in nearly 2000 posts is not a bad ratio :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

strobe wrote: »

Thanks for clearing that up strobe. I didn't know WTF the _ was for:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Don't have the need to take any medication, fortunately.

I rarely get sick, at most 2-3 days a year if I catch something but nothing that I need time off work for.

Nearly 4 months off the smokes, went cold turkey off them after an asthma attack put me in hospital so no better time to quit than when my chest was in bits for a few days afterwards.

I've now obtained the privilege to be a smug cúnt since I quit ("Ewww, get away from me you filthy peasant smoker!!") :pac:

• Advertisement

I use *asterisks* for emphasis.
    Though I think in Outlook that just bolds the word, then I'm sad

Yeah I usually type my posts in Word before I paste them here - because the tools and spell checks and so forth are better there. And Asterisks auto replaces this with bold. Which is not something I want to turn off there - but not something I want here. So I needed a back up plan. Though some versions of Word turn _ into automatic underlining - but weirdly mine does not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I don't even take paracetamol :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

caustic 1 wrote: »
    Your years in medicine have taught you this?

Yes of course. Did you think otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

Just lexapro for anxiety. I had rivotril for a while for panic attacks, but I haven't taken one in three months so must be getting better!

Like another poster said, counselling depends on the counsellor. The first one I went to wasn't helpful for me, but the second one was brilliant from the first session.

Wrong, most doctors will not offer benzos, as they are highly addictive.

About the anti-d's, they're a doctor, if you go in telling them you feel depressed/anxious, what else would they offer?

Not wrong. From recent experience.

Maybe lifestyle changes, or make sure there is nothing physical.. or helping sort out what is making you anxious. Dumbing down is not a bright idea.

lukesmom wrote: »
    Three groups have formed in this thread.

Those of us who take meds because we know they help us.

Those who have no need to take meds so far and count themselves lucky.

And the last group who have super powers to be able to 'tough it out' and just 'know' that too many meds are being handed out, even thet they've not taken them. They are also really condescending and self-righteous when the truth is that theyve not got a clue because they aren't medical people just keyboard doctors ;)

What a bitter and condescending and intolerant post. Over prescribing is a fact. If you want to take meds, by all means but try to listen to what the long experience of others offers and keep your mind open

Many of us have been where you are and found a way through it without psycho active drugs. Saying so is not self righteous. It is actually caring.

By the way I could equal or exceed almost everyone here for psych drug consumption over decades. I learned a different way.

Sure i get down; this week a sudden death in the family, great physical pain .. other worries,, But I know that thee can be endured and can teach more than I ever learned when I relied on meds.

We all have great recuperative and healing powers in our bodies and minds that many do not tap. Diet, life style changes.. can do far more than any med

Wondering also why you seem to need that everyone agrees with you ....

Child, go your way but please do not attack those who know differently from you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Graces7 wrote: »

By the way I could equal or exceed almost everyone here for psych drug consumption over decades. I learned a different way.

Sure i get down; this week a sudden death in the family, great physical pain .. other worries,, But I know that thee can be endured and can teach more than I ever learned when I relied on meds.

We all have great recuperative and healing powers in our bodies and minds that many do not tap. .

Being "down" is not the same as depression.

I'm assuming you realise that if you're saying you've been on meds for it.

So to use being upset after a bereavement as an example is doing your argument no favours.
    Grief is a normal response for any person regardless of their mental health at the time. Being stressed is normal. You can develop coping mechanisms to deal with them as they arise and you can see light at the end of the tunnel because its a temporary response to a bad time in your life. Depression and the "reasons" for it and the ways to approach and treat it are a whole different ball game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

What a bitter and condescending and intolerant post. Over prescribing is a fact. If you want to take meds, by all means but try to listen to what the long experience of others offers and keep your mind open

Many of us have been where you are and found a way through it without psycho active drugs. Saying so is not self righteous. It is actually caring.

We all have great recuperative and healing powers in our bodies and minds that many do not tap. Diet, life style changes.. can do far more than any med

Child, go your way but please do not attack those who know differently from you.

Ah how quickly the moral high ground becomes the mucky trough

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Colinf1212

All about the GABA receptors for me.

I take sertraline (SSRI) once a day for depression/anxiety. I take a bottle of buckfast 30mins before work. I take 2mg clonazepam (long lasting benzo) daily. I also take etizolam (short lasting benzo) towards the end of my work shift when the alcohol has worn off and sometimes use it to help me sleep too.

Yes I'm quite heavily medicated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Colinf1212 wrote: »
    All about the GABA receptors for me.

I take sertraline (SSRI) once a day for depression/anxiety. I take a bottle of buckfast 30mins before work. I take 2mg clonazepam (long lasting benzo) daily. I also take etizolam (short lasting benzo) towards the end of my work shift when the alcohol has worn off and sometimes use it to help me sleep too.

Yes I'm quite heavily medicated.

Stop the Buckfast and you won't need the rest of the meds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Were you told by your GP to do that? Thats a very high dose. I take one Telfast to relieve itching from a skin condition but never more then that and absolutely never another antihistamine at the same time

It's under prescription from my immunologist. I know its a lot but without it I would possibly be dead. I seem to have an allergy to life!

Was gonna say are you a doctor but then I saw your username :o

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Few lemsips if I get a sniffle or uniflu if it's a bad cold. Maybe some paracetamol for the morning after headache, few and far between though.

Don't take much tbh and haven't had a sick day since 2009.

Drinking a bottle of 15% wine for breakfast every day is/has buggered your GABA receptors and no mistake. Your liver and insulin response is likely well buggered too, never mind the interplay of the other chemicals going on and other bodily systems being hit. That's heavy dependence IMHO. Also IMHO if you do - and hopefully you do - decide to knock the alcohol dependency on the head, then get medical help to do so. Coming cold turkey off a heroin habit will make you feel like pure shíte alright, but it won't kill you. However coming off an alcohol dependence carries a very real risk of doing so, even at levels you're working at. Get medical help basically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Firstly I'm not a child

Secondly after having severe depression for four constant months and staying in a psychiatric ward for 6 weeks I have been through hell and back.
    I was sent for blood tests, thyroid function and ECG to see was it something physical - it wasn't. I was poked and prodded at for four months. I tried everything you name it ive tried it with the exception of ect.
    Diet and lifestyle overhaul with regular exercise.
    Multiple combinations of medications that took 4 pain staking weeks to review and start on another when I felt no relief.
    Reiki, eft, psychology, relaxation techniques, day hospital, holistic concoctions, vitamins- you get the picture.
    I was told I had 'treatment resistant depression' which is a very frightening thing to be told when you have 3 very young children.
    Finally after 4 long months I got relief from a combination of meds and could properly start psychology as I was in the right frame of mind. So no im not bitter at all, but I do know what I'm talking about as I have been there and worn the tee-shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Nothing at all. Antibiotics only if absolutely recommended and insisted upon by a doctor, but that's it. I get a light cold twice a year for 2 days each, usually coming into December and again in April.

Had the flu a few years back and was bed ridden for 4 days, but beyond that I've not been sick since I had chicken pox at 9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Tasden wrote: »
    Was gonna say are you a doctor but then I saw your username :o

I'm not a doctor, but a bottle of Buckfast a day won't help anyone's physical or mental health. It contains both a depressant (alcohol) and a stimulant (caffeine). Not a good idea to mix both together in large quantities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Took a sleeping tablet last night for only the second time. Woke at 2am asking the OH where the best place to get nappies was and again at 4am to ask if she could see the Dora the Explorer picture on the ceiling... will avoid in future.

I had taken a 3.75mg tablet once before, this was a 7.5mg, probably too much :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Took a sleeping tablet last night for only the second time. Woke at 2am asking the OH where the best place to get nappies was and again at 4am to ask if she could see the Dora the Explorer picture on the ceiling... will avoid in future.

I had taken a 3.75mg tablet once before, this was a 7.5mg, probably too much :/

now ive taken things like xanax and diazepam plenty of times, along with the prozac but at one stage was on sleeping tablets trying to find one that worked. i was given zimovane or something similar and had the same kind of experience. was still wide awake (obviously didnt do their job) but i could hear music from the kitchen. no radio in the kitchen and i was home alone.

I'm not a doctor, but a bottle of Buckfast a day won't help anyone's physical or mental health. It contains both a depressant (alcohol) and a stimulant (caffeine). Not a good idea to mix both together in large quantities.

But you can't say that giving up the buckfast will definitely mean he wont need all the medication.
    It will have a positive impact on his health for sure. No denying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Caffeine - daily
    cloraphenamime - 4 to 6 months a year of anti allergy pills

Alprazolam - about 4 times a year for long distance flights (not what it is prescribed for!...illicitly acquired. Use it for jet lag the day after if I need to quickly adjust my sleep pattern.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 Karpackie

On a thing called Vimovo for back pain. Not good for my ability to drink beer, or to have complete confidence when I fart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

PucaMama wrote: »
    now ive taken things like xanax and diazepam plenty of times, along with the prozac but at one stage was on sleeping tablets trying to find one that worked. i was given zimovane or something similar and had the same kind of experience. was still wide awake (obviously didnt do their job) but i could hear music from the kitchen. no radio in the kitchen and i was home alone.

zimovane <3

Also took this. Didn't help with sleep, but I saw lots of colours floating around me.

Was really nice.

Current GP, only gives seroquel to people now, as a sleeper as it's non addictive.and no "high" side effect ):

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

zimovane <3

Also took this. Didn't help with sleep, but I saw lots of colours floating around me.

Was really nice.

Current GP, only gives seroquel to people now, as a sleeper as it's non addictive.and no "high" side effect ):

As an aid to sleep ? To help you sleep ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

zimovane <3

Was really nice.

i also got an awful metallic taste in the mouth from it. stayed for days after taking just one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Don't take anything. One cup of coffee a day and the odd drink and that's it.

As an aid to sleep ? To help you sleep ?

yes.

<modsnip> I've removed some text/advice that I think is crossing the line into medical advice. Please try to stay within the boards rules of 'no medical advice' please

PucaMama wrote: »
    i also got an awful metallic taste in the mouth from it. stayed for days after taking just one.

OMG, yes! I remember that. :( That was a definite downside to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Albertofrog

Myself - nothing. I broke my shoulder and ripped my rotator cuff a few months ago.
    Was on morphine and OxyContin- but the OxyContin made me unconscious.
    Growing up in the north I can see why the amount of antidepressants is through the roof.
    My own mother was hooked on diazepam and the da liked his whiskey

• Advertisement
Advertisement