Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adopting an older cat

• 24-11-2014 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

Hi all!

We've been given the opportunity to adopt a 7 year old male cat whose owner has died. We are actively researching cats and are happy to adopt one only our little girl is almost 2, active (as 2 yr olds tend to be) and cat obsessed. Is this fair on the cat? Would we be better advised to take a young adult or kitten given our little ones age? I don't want to be trying to rehome him in a few months if my daughter has him tormented.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

If you do a a slow (as in over a few weeks) introduction it should be ok; 7 years is getting old but taking our own cats (six years now; time do fly!) they still play with our two year foster at times. You can also help him by simply playing with the two year old (laser dot chase tends to be popular along with da bird) to drain some of the energy out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

Nody wrote: »
    If you do a a slow (as in over a few weeks) introduction it should be ok; 7 years is getting old but taking our own cats (six years now; time do fly!) they still play with our two year foster at times. You can also help him by simply playing with the two year old (laser dot chase tends to be popular along with da bird) to drain some of the energy out of them.

Ha ha not out two year old cat, our daughter! Believe me if I thought a laser pointer would tire her out we'd have one already ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Piper101 wrote: »
    Ha ha not out two year old cat, our daughter! Believe me if I thought a laser pointer would tire her out we'd have one already ;)
    Sorry :o . It should be fine; make sure there's suitable cat highway around all rooms (i.e. places the cat can jump up to get away from it all while still looking at what's going on) and be ready that your daughter may get a scratch or two if she plays too rough / scares kitty (i.e. teach her from day 1 how to be around a cat and if you're not ready to deal with your child getting scratched then don't get a cat).

Our friends got a baby while having a 9 year old boy (close to 8kg) who'd never been around children previously; he simply runs away when he wants to be alone and snooze. Of course their daughter loves him and tries to give him food at every opportunity (throwing kibble all over the floor as a way of feeding ;) ) and tries to play with him.

In general I'd say an older cat is better simply because they are not going to be as high driven as a young kitten is nor are they as likely to play bite etc. as a kitten/young cat would (fostering three kittens atm and my ankles are a favorite prey of choice!). I'd still take the introductions slowly though; cats don't like change so I'd still start in one room and get them used to the new smells etc. and slowly work from there as he gets more comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

Nody wrote: »
    Sorry :o . It should be fine; make sure there's suitable cat highway around all rooms (i.e. places the cat can jump up to get away from it all while still looking at what's going on) and be ready that your daughter may get a scratch or two if she plays too rough / scares kitty (i.e. teach her from day 1 how to be around a cat and if you're not ready to deal with your child getting scratched then don't get a cat).

Our friends got a baby while having a 9 year old boy (close to 8kg) who'd never been around children previously; he simply runs away when he wants to be alone and snooze. Of course their daughter loves him and tries to give him food at every opportunity (throwing kibble all over the floor as a way of feeding ;) ) and tries to play with him.

In general I'd say an older cat is better simply because they are not going to be as high driven as a young kitten is nor are they as likely to play bite etc. as a kitten/young cat would (fostering three kittens atm and my ankles are a favorite prey of choice!). I'd still take the introductions slowly though; cats don't like change so I'd still start in one room and get them used to the new smells etc. and slowly work from there as he gets more comfortable.

Scratches are par for the course I think as are bumps and bruises generally with having a child. I'll ask can we take him on a trial basis and see how we get on.

Thanks for your advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

One of our cats is 6, he's a big lad and still full of fun and play. With the advances in veterinary medicine and the improvements made in cat nutrition cats tend to live much longer and healthier lives than ever and 7 really isn't old imo. Cats are generally very good at avoiding being grabbed and at getting themselves out of tricky situations. Of course there might be scratches but that's par for the course really. Good luck with it, I'm sure it'll be fine.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

One of our cats is 6, he's a big lad and still full of fun and play. With the advances in veterinary medicine and the improvements made in cat nutrition cats tend to live much longer and healthier lives than ever and 7 really isn't old imo. Cats are generally very good at avoiding being grabbed and at getting themselves out of tricky situations. Of course there might be scratches but that's par for the course really. Good luck with it, I'm sure it'll be fine.:)

My two are 8 and I never think of them as older cats. Both know how to avoid problem situations and stay safe. Not an iota of aggression in either. If in doubt run is their way.

Advertisement