Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone identify what type of car this came from?

Options
  • 24-11-2014 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I found this Smiths Oil gauge.. it is older than the usual era I would be familiar with.
    Anyone have any ideas of what type of car it came from or even an approx date?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Its very art deco, which would suggest 20s/30s to me.

It does seem to go a bit higher than what I'd consider normal, are you sure its from a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I'd go with 50's, cant pin point a particular model or even get an adequate picture, but the square dials were in vouge again for a little while after the war; bit of a throw back style wise to the pre war deco.

Smiths supplied dials to many different makes so this guage may be common across a number of British built cars.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSX20bTs8r_5aHrlfohzOvpCTuoJqYWF48nEqDgTfXcPHbsJJDykQ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    It does seem to go a bit higher than what I'd consider normal, are you sure its from a car?

Some car gauges go this high - my Mk1 Golf GTI went to 10 bar (the 160 PSI on this one is around 11 bar) - when oil is cold and you rev the engine hard (which you shouldn't, of course!), you can get up near 10 bar - when the oil warms up, you'd only get around half that pressure.

Other gauges (e.g.: 60's/70's Mercedes) are designed to only read up to around 45 PSI / 3 Bar, with a pin at the max reading - once the needle hits the pin, all can be assumed to be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

Could it be from a bus?

Leyland%20speedometer.jpg

60%2Bmph%2Bsquare%2BAT%2Bspeedo.1.jpg

These are speedometers from Leyland coaches, very similar styling

Advertisement