Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android on a Acer Revo

• 24-11-2014 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi all
    Is it possible to put android on a revo. I want to install an android app
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭niallb

What model Revo?
    I've put android on several different netbooks very succesfully.
    The best version for me was probably 4.0, but the 4.3 and 4.4 builds are good too.
    What I got from 4.0 was better power management and the ability to run ARM binaries,
    but that's not so significant now.

Have you actually tried googling the words "Android Acer Revo" yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭tippgod

Thanks for the reply. It's a revo 3700. I'm googling it at the moment but haven't found a guide yet.

Do I have to install android and then xbmc on top of it or can I run android beside openelec if you get what's mean

Hi.
    Great model. Much more powerful than the ones I was using.

You'll find it difficult to install both Android and openelec on it at the same time, as they both expect full control of the disk.
    It would be easiest to run one of them from a USB stick if you want to go in that direction.
    XBMC on android only runs on ARM processors last time I tried, so if XBMC is your main requirement - install openelec.
    If the android app is the main requirement, install android and see how it works. What is it by the way?
    You could also install the windows version of XBMC on the box if you haven't already tried that and see how you get on.
    That way you'll keep the ability to play Netflix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

XBMC/KODI now has an X86 port on android too.
    http://kodi.tv/download/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

niallb wrote: »
    Hi.
    Great model. Much more powerful than the ones I was using.

You'll find it difficult to install both Android and openelec on it at the same time, as they both expect full control of the disk.
    It would be easiest to run one of them from a USB stick if you want to go in that direction.
    <snip>

I have no problem running Openelec with other flavours of Linux, so would question the accuracy of this.
    No doubt it would require a simple manual install of Openelec to achieve it .... but no reason I am aware of that it cannot be done.

• Advertisement

I have no problem running Openelec with other flavours of Linux, so would question the accuracy of this.
    No doubt it would require a simple manual install of Openelec to achieve it .... but no reason I am aware of that it cannot be done.

Openelec isn't the problem. Try it with android...

It's trivial to change the install and boot menu for OpenElec if you have linux experience, but not without departing from the basic flow of the installer.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 dondonjordan

Downloading the Android x86 release candidate 2 iso released at the beginning of the month now and gonna try to install to USB key and run from that.

This is an option you could look into.

Just run a live version from a drive, giving you the ability to hot swap OS.

I'll let ye know how I get on.

Downloading the Android x86 release candidate 2 iso released at the beginning of the month now and gonna try to install to USB key and run from that.

This is an option you could look into.

Just run a live version from a drive, giving you the ability to hot swap OS.

I'll let ye know how I get on.

I look forward to your report .... I have it d/loaded but haven't got around to trying it as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 dondonjordan

Nope.

I get the Virtualbox selection menu and can select the image but it loads to command prompt.

No real experience with Linux. No way I'm getting stuck into that.

Trying a kodibuntu image now.

This will hopefully boot XBMC when the usb stick is in and Windows when its plugged out.

Tried Android-86 in VirtualBox ...... it gets to the display of ANDROID and stays there for too long for me ...... I abandoned it :)

... for now at least :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement