Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

What off roader

• 24-11-2014 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

I am thinking of getting a bike for around the farm, theres a fir bit of scrub land I can use. I ride a R1200RT on the road, so can ride.

I also see some lads use a local forrestery which walkers don't use, so might approach them to see if its ok to join in.

Was looking at a site for a crowd based in Wiclow, and they have stuff in my price range, €1'500ish. Do not want a 2 stroke, can't be bothered with the maintainence of them, etc.

What can anyone recommend as a bike, or has anybody dealt with the people in Wicklow.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

Muck and fun? Hmmmm lots of bad experiences reported, not for nothing are they known as duck and run! Modern off road 4 St often need as much if not more than a 2st... My montesa 2t trials bike has needed nothing in 3 yrs of regular use, yet a mates 4st crosser needs an oil and filter change every 8hrs ffs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

4t MX bikes are a grenade with the pin out.
    When they go they cost a lot, way more than a 2t rebuild.
    For a newbie I would think an XR250/XT250/DR350 would be a good choice.
    Think aircooled and light and you won't go to far wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

CJH beat me to it! I was typing..

Keep it light weight. Elec start essential. kick start a bonus. Lots of reliable, low maintenance, 4stroke, trail bikes available ...correction, lots to choose from, but maybe not so many for sale. Just my impression.

Yam TTR250, XT225 Serow, XT350 Suz DR350, XR250, Beta Alp to name a few of my favourites in or below your price range. All road versions. If you're happy to have enduro version the choice widens.

serious3 wrote: »
    My montesa 2t trials bike has needed nothing in 3 yrs of regular use, yet a mates 4st crosser needs an oil and filter change every 8hrs ffs!
    Cota 315R? I just bought one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

If you can find a DR200 or Suzuki Djebel 200, they're great. They're actually listed in Oz under the 'farm equipment' section of the Oz website, as distinct from their bike one.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Stay away from that Muck and Fun place. Absolute horror stories about the complete ****e they sell.

Just search on biker.ie for a lot of the info.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Cota 315R? I just bought one!

I have 2! Bought another '99 for my father to play on when he's over, I wobble about a lot on mine but in 3yrs I've only changed the plug once and cleaned the carb twice, dads get left for months at a time, 2 kicks and away it goes. Great starter bikes

I have 2! Bought another '99 for my father to play on when he's over, I wobble about a lot on mine but in 3yrs I've only changed the plug once and cleaned the carb twice, dads get left for months at a time, 2 kicks and away it goes. Great starter bikes
    They are a Honda.
    I am yet to pick mine up, have to do a few wee jobs to tidy it up.
    Never ridden trials before so have a bit of a learning curve in front of me, trying to remember all those BMX moves and transfer them over to a bike!

CJhaughey wrote: »
    They are a Honda.
    I am yet to pick mine up, have to do a few wee jobs to tidy it up.
    Never ridden trials before so have a bit of a learning curve in front of me, trying to remember all those BMX moves and transfer them over to a bike!

Spent more time on my arse than riding it the first few weeks! Have a look at the rear susp linkages, they get a tough time, cheap enough repair with parts from Honda though, also check where it mounts to swing arm, heavy use can crack the mount there or even break it, small cracks in the headstock welds are fairly normal, just drill a hole at the end to stop them cracking! Where you based?

Spent more time on my arse than riding it the first few weeks! Have a look at the rear susp linkages, they get a tough time, cheap enough repair with parts from Honda though, also check where it mounts to swing arm, heavy use can crack the mount there or even break it, small cracks in the headstock welds are fairly normal, just drill a hole at the end to stop them cracking! Where you based?
    Yeah, Its mainly more things like Throttle tube/grips controls Fork seals/Gearbox oil etc . But as you know once you start stripping and cleaning the list grows! Good winter project anyway to get it sorted and setup for me, Its an 03/I think so has the Showa rainbow forks.
    I am in West Cork.

• Advertisement
Advertisement