Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

blue moon/hoegaarden from extract?

Options
  • 24-11-2014 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am looking to try and make something along the lines of blue moon or hoegaarden from extract. Is it possible?

I made a brewpaks craftsman kit recently, which has some nice grain to steep for 40 minutes. I really liked that...maybe its possible to get close to one of the above with some added grain to 3kg of extract?

If anyone has tried it please let me know!

Ken

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Kencollins wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am looking to try and make something along the lines of blue moon or hoegaarden from extract. Is it possible?

Get a good wheat kit and Brewferm wheat or T-58 yeast for that Belgian phenol aromas. Then steep 15g of crushed coriander and orange peel in your hot water addition. Ferment 2 weeks and that's it, enjoy :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

It's tricky as wit beer has oats added and they need to be mashed. If you're comfortable with steeping grain you can do a minimash. i.e. steep some pale malt with oats. You could probably get away with just buying an extract wheat beer and then adding lemon peel and coriander yourself and using a Belgian Wit yeast. It won't have the same cloudyness but it should taste similar enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd use wheat malt extract
    And I use marmalade in the boil with coriander seed, probably just in a pint or less with a desert spoon of coriander and same of marmalade, for a 5-10 min boil
    Filter the spices and pour the mix into the fermenter
    I've seen people just add some plain flour for some cloudiness 50g or so

It usually goes off quick, after 2 months or so it's not as fresh as other beers

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

Thanks for all the replies!

I will defo give it a go. Tasty beer for christmas!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement