Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA and when to apply for course

Options
  • 24-11-2014 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭

My story is, I got made redundant in September. I have been working in the same job for the past 18 years in printing. I hate the thoughts of getting back into printing. But It would be the only way right now of earning a descent wage. Providing I got a job.

This might sound bad. But I would rather use the unemployment system to educate myself and up skill. Rather than looking for any "OL" Job. I want a career where I can grow and I have opportunities to advance. My education level is Junior cert. I missed out on a lot of courses with the timing of being made redundant. I managed to find a night course and I also do voluntary work to keep myself busy. I have also applied for Fas Courses. But I am now seriously thinking about going back to college full time and getting a degree. But that would obviously be next year. I don't think I would be able to do it at night with my family commitments.

But what I want to know. If I decide to go back to college. I would hope to Get the BTEA. But would I have to apply before the 1st of February for my chosen course? Would I be able to apply at a later date depending how I get on with other courses I get?
    Also Can I get BTEA for all the years I am in College?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

You usually have to apply for courses by the 1st of February through the cao: http://www.cao.ie

There is late application up to the 1st of May but it costs more to apply and you may not be able to select all the courses you want because of restricted application.

You usually find out officially if you have a course place by early July although offers can be made in later rounds.

You cannot apply for BTEA until you have the offer of a course place.

Additionally you need to have 234 days on a Jobseeker payment before being considered for BTEA. You also need to be on Jobseekers immediately before starting the course.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Thanks for that. Yes I am eligible. If you get statutory redundancy you can apply straight away as well. That was my situation. Everything had started though.

So If I apply for a course and decide not to do it. All, I will lose is €40?
    I assume I can't drop out of JobBridge to go to college?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Yep Stat redundancy means no waiting period for BTEA. If you apply to CAO online before the 20th of Jan it will just cost you €25.

As far as I know you can leave Jobbridge if you get a college place with one weeks notice but maybe double check with ES/ DSP.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

I was in a similar position to yourself a few years back.

Apply for the course now or as soon as you can. Play the waiting game and if you get accepted bring the offer letter into your local social welfare office and hopefully they'll accept it and give you BTEA.

Make a few phone calls just to make sure ll the facts/dates/requirements etc. are correct but you shouldn't have any troubles.

It worked out for me brilliantly and I haven't looked back. For all the complaining people do about the system/government this system is excellent and opens up a lot of doors to people who'd normally not have the opportunity to go to college so best of luck with it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

A degree is a huge commitment and most colleges will want to see that your application is part of a journey through further education rather than the first step.
    Around this time last year I was starting my applications for degrees starting in 2014. I attended a few open days and this need to be seen to engage with education was very apparent. Straight away (after much pleading) I got myself onto a leaving cert maths night course and another couple of smaller business related courses. It really stood me well in the application process and now in practice having started my degree I can see the huge benefit of engaging with studying before I started in the full time course.

There's loads of events happening nationwide this week that you may find helpful: http://www.collegeaware.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Gadfly Girl

I think you're making a wise choice, I'd highly recommend looking into access programmes there are some in many of the PLC Colleges and also at Maynooth, UCD, TCD and DIT. This will add a year to your learning but would be invaluable in terms of setting yourself up to cope with the new experience of third level. It's not impossible to go ahead without an access year but you will have an advantage of being taught essay writing skills, and an opportunity to sample various subjects before you commit as well as a chance to experience third level within a team environment.

Once you begin a degree it can be quite isolated and over-whelming, not a reflection of a persons ability just the nature of it all. Read the sticky post at the top of this forum for tips on applying. Know the course you're applying for well and what topics will be covered, try to shown a progression of learning/ interest as already advised.

Make use of academic supports available to help with computer skills/ writing skills or whatever is applicable.

Finally, just go for it you will never look back!

KeithTS wrote: »
    I was in a similar position to yourself a few years back.

Apply for the course now or as soon as you can. Play the waiting game and if you get accepted bring the offer letter into your local social welfare office and hopefully they'll accept it and give you BTEA.

Make a few phone calls just to make sure ll the facts/dates/requirements etc. are correct but you shouldn't have any troubles.

It worked out for me brilliantly and I haven't looked back. For all the complaining people do about the system/government this system is excellent and opens up a lot of doors to people who'd normally not have the opportunity to go to college so best of luck with it!!!

Did you do a JobBridge and drop out?

Yeh at the Moment I am doing all I can. I would take on courses if they were available. I am doing a night course in Fetac level 5 and also I am doing voluntary work. Which is related to what I want to do. So now it's Look for a JobBridge, do Fas's ecollege or an actual Fas course. I am willing to pay for evening courses to.

I went to the Dublin region adult education fair last Thursday. I found it very helpful. I was talking to a women at the Intreo stand about dropping out of JobBridge to go to college. She never really gave me a straight answer. Kinda got a bit frustrated with me and said. "You can't be seen to use the system"
    So she knew what I was up to.
    So I will just keep pluggin away

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

I didn't drop out of college but I was working and quit my job so I could avail of it.
    Not as scabby as it sounds, I was coming to the end of a contract which wouldn't be renewed so they agreed to end it early so I could avail of BTEA.

Is there a jobs facilitator for your area?
    If so speak to them as I found them really helpful when I was going through this.

KeithTS wrote: »
    I didn't drop out of college but I was working and quit my job so I could avail of it.
    Not as scabby as it sounds, I was coming to the end of a contract which wouldn't be renewed so they agreed to end it early so I could avail of BTEA.

Is there a jobs facilitator for your area?
    If so speak to them as I found them really helpful when I was going through this.
    Thanks,

What is a "jobs facilitator"?
    I have a case officer from the social welfare.

Advertisement