Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk - Breakfast Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ya know i THINK what newstalk is going for with williams is to have someone thats a "wild card" or is a contrarian like dunphy used to be or hook tries to be now.

problem is IMO he's as establishment as they come and while dunphy and co over the years mightve picked a point of view to be provocative or stand out from the crowd williams just comes off as nasty.

I dont know the bloke from adam but to me at least he's just unlikable as a character.

got to 7.05 today. then buggerd off to morning ireland till the business lad came back on.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Cuddlitty sounds like he wants to punch Williams mouth loose when they are co hosting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

He keeps trying to have banter with Vincent Wall, and is failing miserably. I really like the business section, it's all I tune back in for now and he is starting to talk all over that as well. It's maddening.

Why dont they give Vincent the whole show?

Comes across very well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

On Monday's show CC and PW were discussing the topic of Ireland having a specific national holiday day celebrating our independence. PW thought it was a great idea and CC dismissed it. Rather than enter into a proper discussion on the topic PW just referred to CC as his "Union Jack shorts wearing friend". Childish carry on.

Comes across very well

Between Shane Coleman (I still believe he's a very good broadcaster/journalist), Ciarán Cuddihy, Vincent Wall and Oisin Langan they have a top quality presenting team at their disposal. I suspect at this point that they've just decided the mail their colours to the mast with Williams.

Not sure what Quinlan is at these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Comes across very well

I always like Vincent... He's so polite and well mannered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

On Monday's show CC and PW were discussing the topic of Ireland having a specific national holiday day celebrating our independence. PW thought it was a great idea and CC dismissed it. Rather than enter into a proper discussion on the topic PW just referred to CC as his "Union Jack shorts wearing friend". Childish carry on.

I Didn't hear the full show, but, in the evening they had played a clip of it during the commercials. PW was pathetic , could not believe that he got away with it. The kind of typical crap that ya hear from Bar Stool Republicans in Leitrim, which was a nice little West Brit county during the Tan War.

The sooner we round up people of Leitrim (ie PW) and blast it off into the Atlantic or sell it for penny sweets to the Brits, the better

Remarkable nonsense. CC should have said, "why celebrate "Independence" when 6 of our counties are still with Britain?, oh , are you are Partitionist Paul"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

The "anti-dream team" this morning

• Advertisement

Jaysus you'd nearly welcome that heavy hag Norah back at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    Jaysus you'd nearly welcome that heavy hag Norah back at this stage

God dont even joke about that, even william's hasn't reached her levels of god awfulness yet, although hes definitely on the way.

Norah was an expert in EVERYTHING after simply reading the headline. While williams will just assume hes right until proven to be talking sh1t Norah is almost trumpesque in her belief that whatever comes out of her mouth has to be true regardless of facts or logic

Hilarious that she calls herself an entrepreneur...... she bought a magazine publishing company.... also she still boasts about being on the irish dragons den for one season, which she was booted from cus she didn't one fund one project

we hit rock bottom this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,290 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

we hit rock bottom this morning

Don't leave us in suspenders... what happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I used to listen to NT B with Yates and Donoghue and hardly bothered with MI, now it's the other way round. Paul Williams is such a fecking supercilious, pub bore twat he ruins whatever chance the rest of them have.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

everlast75 wrote: »
    Don't leave us in suspenders... what happened?

Listeners this morning received both barrels of hubris and incompetence- Healy and Williams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I've listened a few times for a few minutes in the last few weeks whilst flicking through the stations; Williams is becoming even more childish and petulant every day, and that's when he's not bumbling his way through a topic. How the hell is he still on air?

I usually listen to Mourning Ireland or the Beeb these days, but I'm tempted to listen back to get a taste of how awful it is... going by what you guys are saying, there's a bit of the morbid car-crash appeal about it, a la Liveline

No, it's irritating in a way Da Lahv Lahn isn't. Da Lahv Lahn can be unintentionally hilarious; NTBreakfast will make you want to punch your radio.

Vincent is covering for Bobby tomorrow so we will see how he gets on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Vincent is covering for Bobby tomorrow so we will see how he gets on

Vincenzo

humberklog wrote: »
    Listeners this morning received both barrels of hubris and incompetence- Healy and Williams.

Oh dear God, there should have been a warning before that show. I just cannot understand why Newstalk persist with letting Healy fill in for all of their shows. I don't know one person that likes him. Actually, ditto for Williams.

• Advertisement

Oh dear God, there should have been a warning before that show. I just cannot understand why Newstalk persist with letting Healy fill in for all of their shows. I don't know one person that likes him. Actually, ditto for Williams.

Who is Healy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Jonathan Healy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭griffin100

At least Williams is now off for a month. I'm sure they said Coleman would be back next week but they weren't sure who would be with him - Healy said he was covering for Kenny. It's a real clusterfcuk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

griffin100 wrote: »
    At least Williams is now off for a month. I'm sure they said Coleman would be back next week but they weren't sure who would be with him - Healy said he was covering for Kenny. It's a real clusterfcuk.

Kenny is just back from a break?

I'm wary of saying it here but I've only heard Healy in small doses and thought he was okay :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

everlast75 wrote: »
    I'm wary of saying it here but I've only heard Healy in small doses and thought he was okay :-/

I'd keep it that way!

Imagine the lovechild of Dil Wickremasinghe and Henry McKean.

The most insufferable twit on Irish radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,968 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The classic boards.ie description of Healy is "if The Herald could walk and talk," but I think I like this one better.:D

Would she feed him live on TV3 too?

Things really are going from bad to worse on Newstalk though. They used to have a really strong show in the morning with Ivan Yates and Ivan Yates' straight man. And the Right Hook was a really strong evening show. So there was a strong product for the person driving to and from work.

The breakfast show is an absolute mess now, and I find Sarah (who I actually like) very difficult to listen to as she always sounds nasal-y / mucus-y / flu-y. And on top of that they keep throwing Jonathan Healy in to babysit the kids while their top tier presenters are on holiday. The ACTUAL babysitter would be a better choice.

As bad as Healy is, he's better than Williams in fairness.

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »
    Kenny is just back from a break?

Hard to break those RTE habits! ;)

I describe Joe Duffy as "the occasional host" of Da Lahv Lahn. He's already had 38days off this year - this from the man who always talks of his great working class work ethic!

It's as if the owner is trying to run it into the ground

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Ciara Kelly & the Womens Council of Ireland.
    Good Lord, bring back Williams.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

I got a laugh out of such a massive outlier as her lambasting Shane on what women want.

:)

Donal55 wrote: »

Another feminist Nazi on now. They really are burning the station to the ground.

I caught the headlines at 7am and decided to listen on for the story about Pat Hickey. What did we get? A ten minute feminist rant from Ciara Kelly, interspersed with her "wicked witch of the west" laugh. I don't hear any of these equality champions saying anything when men are portrayed as being idiots, as in every house/car insurance advertisment... The state gave her the opportunity to become a doctor, so what the f**k is her problem. If she wanted to try become a chess master, then she would have had the opportunity to try to become a chess master. There's a lot of young men in working class areas that don't have the opportunities that were afforded to her, so I don't get where she makes out that there is an equality issue for women.

What has it come to when Shane Coleman is the voice of reason!!

Donal55 wrote: »

All their female presenters seem to feel obliged to take up the cudgel for women's lib.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I've said it before but I'm glad that I'm not trying to get a doctor's appointment with Ciara Kelly. GP, Newstalk Presenter and Indo columnist - is there anything this woman can't do?

I'm still waiting for that Pat Hickey story that those b*stards gave the impression would be "coming right up". Honestly, an hour listening to that sh1te from Kelly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

I'd keep it that way!

The most insufferable twit on Irish radio.

The horrors (it would also be a biological miracle, regardless of their age)

Do those two clowns still have a gig? I dint listen to NT anymore at the weekend

Dil is horrendous

Henry is a harmless mommy's boy fool. Pitty the fool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I've said it before but I'm glad that I'm not trying to get a doctor's appointment with Ciara Kelly. GP, Newstalk Presenter and Indo columnist - is there anything this woman can't do?

I wrongly assumed she wrote a medical column!

According to yesterday's indo ad she wrote an article about Kevin Myers??

Give me Williams any day of the week. She's an absolute muppet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

I wrongly assumed she wrote a medical column!

According to yesterday's indo ad she wrote an article about Kevin Myers??

Give me Williams any day of the week. She's an absolute muppet

She really is the worst kind of smug, politically correct mouthpiece.

Is she still a doctor? At the moment she writes a column for the Sindo, contributes to Hook's program, does operation transformation; has her own show on Newstalk on Sunday and moonlights for different shows on Newstalk.

Coleman was audibly frustrated engaging with The Women's Liberation Front of Newstalk this morning. "Dr." Ciara Kelly was going out of her way to be offended (as was the caller from the Women's Council), even asking Coleman "is there anyone you'd call a misogynist?". When she replied that there were, she seemed incredibly disappointed.

The George and Dildred Show?

Didn't take long for this marriage to come off the rails, did it?

Didn't take long for this marriage to come off the rails, did it?

What happened?

• Advertisement

Was it like the Life Of Brian and Shane said it was his "right to have the want to be a woman"?

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    What happened?

Bickering the whole morning about Conor McGregor like an old married couple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

What is wrong with Ciara Kelly? It feels like she's deliberately disagreeing with Coleman for the sake of it. She says the dislike of McGregor is a class issue. The fact that he's a national embarrassment has nothing to do with class. If someone from D4 was making a fool of himself like that clown I'd call him out on it.

What is wrong with Ciara Kelly? It feels like she's deliberately disagreeing with Coleman for the sake of it. She says the dislike of McGregor is a class issue. The fact that he's a national embarrassment has nothing to do with class. If someone from D4 was making a fool of himself like that clown I'd call him out on it.

Don't worry Shane, she will be nicer to you tomorrow.

Really don't want to know any of their opinions on anything. The whole station has gone tabloid.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement