Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk - Breakfast Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

What is your point ?

The quite irrational dislike of women presenters by some regulars on this forum.

Ok I got you wrong ! I'm singing Sarah McInerneys praises ....(even if that put me in a minority)

I like her a lot but dislike Ciara Kelly (and I'm a woman)....so it's not gender
    . With me it's content and command over the English language and smoothness of presenting over gender any day . Something likeable about SMcI ....she just never annoyed me like some of the others !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I was asking you about your opinion. Not about past posts on this thread ? Why do YOU think she deserved to be sacked (and I'm sure she wasn't )??

Is she worse than Paul Williams or Ciara Kelly ? I think SMcI is immensely competent by comparison .

Now in fairness that's a pretty low bar you're setting there! Just because you're "the least worst" doesn't make you great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Ok I got you wrong ! I'm singing Sarah McInerneys praises ....(even if that put me in a minority)

I like her a lot but dislike Ciara Kelly (and I'm a woman)....so it's not gender
    . With me it's content and command over the English language and smoothness of presenting over gender any day . Something likeable about SMcI ....she just never annoyed me like some of the others !

Give me examples of why you hate Ciara Kelly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Now in fairness that's a pretty low bar you're setting there! Just because you're "the least worst" doesn't make you great!

Kelly is very good. So is McInerney if a little aggressive at times. Hopefully one of them gets the permanent gig with Coleman in the morning.

Delighted Yates is getting the evening slot though. He's excellent and very listenable even if I don't always agree with him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I like both Kelly and McInerney, so there.

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    Give me examples of why you hate Ciara Kelly?

I would but I haven't got that much time 😉!

(Seriously I'm heading to the West for the weekend ....now)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

....and while she has an unusual slightly nasally voice , it's hardly bumbling and mumbling , hysterical ranting with no understanding of the English language like Paul Williams . She has an attractive voice and infectious laugh . At least I can back up my argument for liking her .

Cannot believe anyone rates Sarah. Listen back to any randomly selected 3 minute slot of her on Drive and I guarantee you will hear her start to rattle off a sentence too fast until the voice gets ahead of the brain, she trips, and then you get the mumbling and the bumbling.

I think she must have some sort of respiratory issues actually - sounds like a drowsy flu patient most of the time, like she’s breathing mostly through the mouth.

And neither do I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Are you there yet?☺☺☺☺

• Advertisement

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Cannot believe anyone rates Sarah. Listen back to any randomly selected 3 minute slot of her on Drive and I guarantee you will hear her start to rattle off a sentence too fast until the voice gets ahead of the brain, she trips, and then you get the mumbling and the bumbling.

I think she must have some sort of respiratory issues actually - sounds like a drowsy flu patient most of the time, like she’s breathing mostly through the mouth.

Indeed. It's super annoying, but criticse her and then suffer the wrath of her defenders !

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

My point was that he asked the exact same questions to everybody, but you're free to read it and misinterpret it what ever way your own motive dictates.

Why mention the 'social justice' part then? Why did you include it in your post if it has no relevance?

You're right wing, we get that, but don't have a go at someone for asking legitimate questions to actors who play characters on different sides, as well as one whose character finds himself stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I thought the interview with John Boyega in particular was excellent. I genuinely think you're having a go for the sake of having a go.

What could he have done/asked differently and to whom?

Nearly all of your posts in the radio forum is giving out about presenters expressing views different to yours and that they're ****, offended and whatever. Change the record and stop twisting nonsense to suit your agenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,712 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Indeed. It's super annoying, but criticse her and then suffer the wrath of her defenders !

Good Lord.

Can no one discuss anything without claiming to be under attack anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

I was just thinking there. There must be some atmosphere in Newstalk at the moment. People must be watching their backs, completely paranoid, putting on a happy face in front of all of the other presenters.... and secretly wondering when they themselves will get knifed in the back.

Has Sarah McInerney made any statement about the thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Good Lord.

Can no one discuss anything without claiming to be under attack anymore?

No and its not just on here its a society wide problem. Have a slightly different view thats not pc or inoffensive and your under attack straight away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I don't agree at all . Sarah was great , good interviewer , very articulate , intelligent and researched on her subjects, never lost her cool , great laugh and great sense of humour. Never heard her pushing her own agendas ....certainly not as much as Paul Williams or Ciara Kelly ! Plus a great voice which I could listen to all day .....and I'm female !

In what way exactly do you think she's "useless"? At least back up what you're saying with examples .

Are you kidding me she lost her cool several times, most recently when she started shouting down chris simply cus he disagreed with her about gender quotas, she was also constantly pushing her own agenda and was a horrific interviewer, badgering people until you get the answer or soundbite your looking for is not good interviewing.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Are you kidding me she lost her cool several times, most recently when she started shouting down chris simply cus he disagreed with her about gender quotas, she was also constantly pushing her own agenda and was a horrific interviewer, badgering people until you get the answer or soundbite your looking for is not good interviewing.
    I remember that debate well because both Sarah and Chris were making really good points, and like with any good debate, my mind kept changing as they laid out their stalls.

She wasn't shouting him down any more than he was.

I don't understate why when a man engages in robust debate, he's just, well... debating robustly. But when a woman does it, we seem to portrportray her as shouting others down, or sometimes being 'screechy' or 'bitchy', words that I've never seen ascribed to men.

Does anyone even know what the male equivalent or bitchy Is? It's not a term I've ever seen ascribed to an assertive male on radio, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I was just thinking there. There must be some atmosphere in Newstalk at the moment. People must be watching their backs, completely paranoid, putting on a happy face in front of all of the other presenters.... and secretly wondering when they themselves will get knifed in the back.

Wonder what the dynamic between Yates and Donoghue will be like now Ivan has taken his job.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Wonder what the dynamic between Yates and Donoghue will be like now Ivan has taken his job.

Chris seems to be unable to hold down any position for too long. His UTV Ireland foray ended swiftly and in tears

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Chris seems to be unable to hold down any position for too long. His UTV Ireland foray ended swiftly and in tears

He has been with Newstalk since 2004. As reporter for 6 years and a presenter for 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Just out of curiosity, do you have anything good to say about anything?

Everyone's UTV foray ended swiftly including Pat Kenny's. I wonder how you would do getting up at five or some similar hour to present breakfast programme and then do TV at 10 at night (or whenever it was)? I never watched UTV so I don't know how bad or good it was but surely it was exhausting to do both.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, do you have anything good to say about anything?

Everyone's UTV foray ended swiftly including Pat Kenny's. I wonder how you would do getting up at five or some similar hour to present breakfast programme and then do TV at 10 at night (or whenever it was)? I never watched UTV so I don't know how bad or good it was but surely it was exhausting to do both.

Choosing to do both shows a naivety and ego in the extreme. It was his choice and if poor diddums was getting enough sleep it was no ones fault but his own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

neris wrote: »
    No and its not just on here its a society wide problem. Have a slightly different view thats not pc or inoffensive and your under attack straight away

You could equally make the case that the real societal problem is people adopting a victim complex every time they are challenged: "I'm the brave non-PC maverick who tells it like it is but who is constantly under attack from unseen forces".

Of course both of these viewpoints probably confuse a few outspoken online/media commentators with "society wide". Or maybe I'm just not getting out into society enough because it's not something I see.

There must be some atmosphere in Newstalk at the moment
    There was an article in the Phoenix recently (sorry their site isn't working so I can't post a link) to the effect that Dinny has decreed that Newstalk needs to be commercially pulling its weight. I'd be surprised if the staff were not aware of this. Hence lots of changes in staff at all levels in the station.

and secretly wondering when they themselves will get knifed in the back.
    "Knifed in the back" is a bit melodramatic, no? This is just what happens on a commercial station, you have to make audience/advertiser numbers or you get moved on. I doubt there's any more to it than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Ive never heard of anyone issuing a statement because their employer assigned them to a different role

Ive never heard of anyone issuing a statement because their employer assigned them to a different role

https://twitter.com/chrisrdonoghue/status/898163459732496384

I remember that debate well because both Sarah and Chris were making really good points, and like with any good debate, my mind kept changing as they laid out their stalls.

She wasn't shouting him down any more than he was.

I don't understate why when a man engages in robust debate, he's just, well... debating robustly. But when a woman does it, we seem to portrportray her as shouting others down, or sometimes being 'screechy' or 'bitchy', words that I've never seen ascribed to men.

Does anyone even know what the male equivalent or bitchy Is? It's not a term I've ever seen ascribed to an assertive male on radio, anyway.

I disagree entirely, Sarah was incredulous that chris could dare disagree with her position, she cut him off several times and very obviously lost her composure near the end showing complete unprofessionalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

There was an article in the Phoenix recently (sorry their site isn't working so I can't post a link) to the effect that Dinny has decreed that Newstalk needs to be commercially pulling its weight. I'd be surprised if the staff were not aware of this. Hence lots of changes in staff at all levels in the station.

"Knifed in the back" is a bit melodramatic, no? This is just what happens on a commercial station, you have to make audience/advertiser numbers or you get moved on. I doubt there's any more to it than that.

thats what happens when your sugar daddy hits hard times.

from what ive heard elsewhere newstalk has never made a profit in its life. its literally kept aflot to push o briens interests and he's suffered some major financial setbacks lately.

de Haitian phone company didnt get floated so no billions from the stock market to assuage his creditors and he's recently been at the center of a crisis at INM when he tried to use his clout to get THEM to buy Newstalk off his comunicorp group- and that all went tits up.

so no moola off THEM either.

He lost a packet backing clinton too.

their (INMs) AGM is this wed by the way, should be a right laugh. theres 83mil in a cash pile sitting there and i expect him (along with dermo and co) to push for it to be dispersed as dividends to shareholders if its not gonna be used for "purchases" .

if that doesnt happen then i expect the screws to be turned on bigtime at newstalk to try and make a buck.

the real world would look to be hitting our journo set soon enough. i expect wage cuts and layoffs ala whats been happening at INM.

They are fighting again. Whose turn is it to ring social services ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I've found myself listening to the show beyond the 7:15 mark in Williams absence.

Shane and Ciara work well together. This morning both were involved in a good old fashioned argument over the housing crisis. Both were making strong and logical arguments without resorting to the childish Williams' quips (scum, Leftie, wasters, People's Front of Dun Loaghaire etc).

No problem saying I'm a huge fan of Shane Coleman. Sounds like he's enjoying himself these days.

In fairness to Ciara Kelly she's well capable of handling a primetime radio show.

Is Williams gone for good or does anybody know what is the story? This seems like just a temp lineup up until they do another "re-vamp".

I've found myself listening to the show beyond the 7:15 mark in Williams absence.

Shane and Ciara work well together. This morning both were involved in a good old fashioned argument over the housing crisis. Both were making strong and logical arguments without resorting to the childish Williams' quips (scum, Leftie, wasters, People's Front of Dun Loaghaire etc).

No problem saying I'm a huge fan of Shane Coleman. Sounds like he's enjoying himself these days.

In fairness to Ciara Kelly she's well capable of handling a primetime radio show.

She's not. She's awful.

Is Williams gone for good or does anybody know what is the story? This seems like just a temp lineup up until they do another "re-vamp".

Officially on holidays and i don't think he's gone, but who knows?

Maybe he's investigating the disappearance of Alan Quinlan?

Officially on holidays and i don't think he's gone, but who knows?

Maybe he's investigating the disappearance of Alan Quinlan?

He will probably blame it on Maurice McCabe

Ciara Kelly on breastfeeding this morning. Talk about all over the shop and getting her information arseways.

DAA announced Baby Feeding Room in the airport. She immediately goes on the offensive and engages in a rant about why can't women breastfeed wherever they want? DAA tweet the show and say that they can - this room is for those who want privacy. She then backtracks a little, Shane Coleman asks can men who want to feed a baby with a bottle can use the room and Kelly explodes again and implies that they shouldn't. Double standard?

10th Birthday of the hashtag was a minor story. Cue Kelly saying "#awkward" repeatedly through the show. If a teenager did it you'd be embarrassed for them.

She's obviously dropped the "Dr." - this was I suspect on the advice of a communication firm/PR Agency who may have suggested that she was perhaps coming across as a little smug. aloof or out of touch with her audience......heaven knows why?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

Ciara Kelly on breastfeeding this morning. Talk about all over the shop and getting her information arseways.

DAA announced Baby Feeding Room in the airport. She immediately goes on the offensive and engages in a rant about why can't women breastfeed wherever they want? DAA tweet the show and say that they can - this room is for those who want privacy. She then backtracks a little, Shane Coleman asks can men who want to feed a baby with a bottle can use the room and Kelly explodes again and implies that they shouldn't. Double standard?

10th Birthday of the hashtag was a minor story. Cue Kelly saying "#awkward" repeatedly through the show. If a teenager did it you'd be embarrassed for them.

She's obviously dropped the "Dr." - this was I suspect on the advice of a communication firm/PR Agency who may have suggested that she was perhaps coming across as a little smug. aloof or out of touch with her audience......heaven knows why?:rolleyes:

Her militant feminist, victimhood nonsense is really getting on my nerves. Coleman merely suggested that someone might feel uncomfortable doing it in public and would happily go to a private room. Cue Miss outrage blaming society for women feeling uncomfortable with whipping out their breasts in public. If women want to do it, fine. But I completely understand why a woman would feel uncomfortable doing it in public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I heard Dr. Ciara this morning having a go at Dublin Airport for providing a room for breast feeding mothers. I couldn't believe her attitude. She should have been acknowledging or even praising their efforts. No one is forcing any woman to use the room if they don't want to but it gives them some privacy and perhaps a little more space and comfort than breastfeeding in a crowded or busy public area. I breastfed for almost a year and there are times you need to express milk, like when you come off a long flight. You're not going to pull a breast pump out of your bag and express milk in public. I'm amazed the good doctor didn't think of this.

She also referred to the room as a 'milking parlour for women', how bloody offensive! Can you imagine the outrage if a man said the same thing?

The sooner NT sort out the Breakfast lineup the better, I'm praying that Kieran Cuddihy is given a permanent role a long side Coleman.

I recently described her on another thread:

"She's your classic affluent and clueless, perpetually-offended, feminist PC do-gooder twit."

I think it fits.

"She's your classic affluent and clueless, perpetually-offended, feminist PC do-gooder twit."

I think it fits.

Perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

I think it fits.

A lot in the media now a days are liked that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

neris wrote: »
    A lot in the media now a days are liked that

That's why we cling to the likes of Ivan and George because we all know deep down that when they are gone it really is game over]
    Ivan Yates and George Hook would seem, more than most, to fit the bill of the aforementioned "classic affluent and clueless, perpetually-offended" host.

The difference is they wouldn't be described as left-liberal and perhaps, feminist.

If people's problem intolerance of a host's political outlook. I don't see what their social class has to do with anything.

Ivan Yates and George Hook would seem, more than most, to fit the bill of the aforementioned "classic affluent and clueless, perpetually-offended" host.

The difference is they wouldn't be described as left-liberal and perhaps, feminist.

If people's problem intolerance of a host's political outlook. I don't see what their social class has to do with anything.

I would suggest that Ivan Yates and George Hook have much more in common with the average person than Kelly. I get the impression she lives in a kind of twitter bubble, resulting in endless virtue signalling, sneering, and a complete intolerance of opposing opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I took the train to Dublin yesterday and on both outward and return journeys had the dubious pleasure of nearly bumping into the bould Ivan - known him since 1967 but we still managed not even to acknowledge each other - on my part deliberate. Still, he's far from the worst presenter in the Denis O'Brien stable :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

I think it fits.

Spot on. Three different times this morning I switched over to NT and those three times she was getting her knickers in a knot about some banking tweet.
    Maybe Newstalk should take the News out of its breakfast programme and just call it 'Talk'.

Article in this week's Phoenix (the one with the clown & Michael D on the cover) about some of the goings on at Newstalk:
    • Donoghue might get political editor/weekend show or RTE
    • No idea on where McInerney might end up, alas no mention of changes to breakfast.
    • Sarah Carey had on street shouting match with CEO about him trying to get rid of her (her show is now 8am - 9am on Saturday).

Article in this week's Phoenix (the one with the clown & Michael D on the cover) about some of the goings on at Newstalk:
    • No idea on where McInerney might end up, alas no mention of changes to breakfast.
    • Sarah Carey had on street shouting match with CEO about him trying to get rid of her (her show is now 8am - 9am on Saturday).

Oh? Tell me more.....

I don't think he set out to "achieve" that, but I do hate how so many journalists/broadcasters seem to just use smaller stations as a stepping stone to get into RTE.

Oh? Tell me more.....
    Apparently there were tears ....

I'll say no more, get down to your local newsagents, buy a copy (low low price of €2.95) and be satisfied that you are supporting quality Irish journalism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I would suggest that Ivan Yates and George Hook have much more in common with the average person than Kelly. I get the impression she lives in a kind of twitter bubble, resulting in endless virtue signalling, sneering, and a complete intolerance of opposing opinions.
    If anything Ciara SHOULD be more in touch with the average person because of her work as a GP.

She must deal with people from all walks of life, with all sort of serious real life problems, that's why I'm amazed that she wastes her time getting offended by non issues instead of focusing on stuff that actually affects ordinary people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Apparently there were tears ....

I'll say no more, get down to your local newsagents, buy a copy (low low price of €2.95) and be satisfied that you are supporting quality Irish journalism

And a good laugh, some funny articles in that magazine

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement