Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk - Breakfast Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,390 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Not sure if i can chose between who is more insufferable, paul murphy or paul williams to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Well if it's too far for the taxi to go when he's been hailed why doesn't he just pass on the job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,290 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Only listened for 3 mins this morning and came across an exchange between him and Coleman about them wearing the same jacked so Coleman went home to get changed. PW replied "well that's cause I have more testosterone than you - you need to man up and not care".

Is this is what passes for banter?

JHC

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

It would be funny but a la Joe Duffy when it doesn't suit his agenda he'll completely ignore it.

That seems to be exactly what's happening!

Running a mile from it from what I've heard. It's all Ryanair and Leos 100 days.

Only broached in the bullitin and paper coverage.

Dinny must be raging.

:)

Well if it's too far for the taxi to go when he's been hailed why doesn't he just pass on the job?

Paul as usual when it comes to technology stuff was woefully unprepared, he hasn't a clue about tech and just comes across as even more moronic when he tries to do pieces on it.

He tried to claim the main point of these apps was to get rid of the 2 euro charge, no paul you fupping moron the main point of them is convenience and always has been

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

That seems to be exactly what's happening!

Running a mile from it from what I've heard. It's all Ryanair and Leos 100 days.

Only broached in the bullitin and paper coverage.

Dinny must be raging.

:)

Told you. They (Newstalk) have previous on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

The thing is I actually don't mind Coleman at this stage, he's a bit preachy at times but he's authentic.

Williams I cannot stand for myriad reasons. I think I did however buy my ticket for the Williams hate train when he kept calling Euro's yoyo's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭fire_man

Will Quinlan be on tomorrow talking pro 14,pure utter rubbish.

fire_man wrote: »
    Will Quinlan be on tomorrow talking pro 14,pure utter rubbish.

Yeah, well, you know....Munster will win because of their pashun blah blah blah. In the soccerball this weekend I see Manchester United are playing South...it says here Southampton, is that right? Is that even a place? I never heard of it before. And Southampton as we know is south of Northampton, and Northampton have a good rugby team. Shane, can you help me out a bit with these other sports as I don't know anything about them.......

Regina Doherty on Newstalk Breakfast this morning and her intro:

"Hey, what's going on?" or"Hey, how are you?" or something similar; and the tone in which it was delivered sounded like she had just gotten out of bed. WAY too casual and very unprofessional - far too "friendly" IMO. Trying to be down with the kids and all that.

I'd say more but she'll have the Gardai around to me for daring to question her on Social Media.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

Regina Doherty on Newstalk Breakfast this morning and her intro:

"Hey, what's going on?" or"Hey, how are you?" or something similar; and the tone in which it was delivered sounded like she had just gotten out of bed. WAY too casual and very unprofessional - far too "friendly" IMO. Trying to be down with the kids and all that.

I'd say more but she'll have the Gardai around to me for daring to question her on Social Media.......

Ye I noticed that. Thought it was strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭cagefactor

Regina Doherty comes across as completely clueless every time I hear her, always interrupts the interviewer and rambles off some script she's committed to memory - comes across to me as completely incompetent.

cagefactor wrote: »
    Regina Doherty comes across as completely clueless every time I hear her, always interrupts the interviewer and rambles off some script she's committed to memory - comes across to me as completely incompetent.

Well it could be worse....she could be you local TD. :(

Ugh accidentally had to listen to it this morning.

Paul is really out of his depth on any topic that isnt gangland or the gardai and even in those cases he is incredibly bias and dismisses anything he disagrees with regardless of how true or based in fact it is.

Anyway they were discussing the german elections and Paul must have been looking at a election map cus he noticed that the voting was very mucy split between east and west germany about who they voted for.
    He then remarked "and they must be concerned about that"..... no paul they arent cus anyone who has done the slightest bit of research for something they are going to be talking about on national airwaves would know, or at least should know, that for every major election since reunification Germany has split in virtually exactly the same way so its something they are used to and not worried about cus its a simple fact of demographics.

Only 2 minutes later he went on to wrongly misattribute a quote about "having them where we want them" as having come from michael O leary refferring to the pilots unions when it actually came from the pilots themselves talking about Ryanair's vulnerable position.

Then i gleefully got out of the car

VinLieger wrote: »
    Ugh accidentally had to listen to it this morning.

Paul is really out of his depth on any topic that isnt gangland or the gardai and even in those cases he is incredibly bias and dismisses anything he disagrees with regardless of how true or based in fact it is.

Anyway they were discussing the german elections and Paul must have been looking at a election map cus he noticed that the voting was very mucy split between east and west germany about who they voted for.
    He then remarked "and they must be concerned about that"..... no paul they arent cus anyone who has done the slightest bit of research for something they are going to be talking about on national airwaves would know, or at least should know, that for every major election since reunification Germany has split in virtually exactly the same way so its something they are used to and not worried about cus its a simple fact of demographics.

Only 2 minutes later he went on to wrongly misattribute a quote about "having them where we want them" as having come from michael O leary refferring to the pilots unions when it actually came from the pilots themselves talking about Ryanair's vulnerable position.

Then i gleefully got out of the car

That was hilarious. I mean how could he possibly attribute that to O'Leary in the present news cycle - if he'd ever listen to the bulletins on his won show he'd know that where the power lies at present in that "dispute".

He then said "Ryanair must be one of the biggest airlines in Ireland by now" then changed it to " Europe, if not the world". Yup, they're definitely one of the biggest airlines in Ireland. :rolleyes:

Well it could be worse....she could be you local TD. :(

Overpaid (unlawfully) by €16K for her Chief Whip duties; but not to worry she'll pay in back in time - not in one lump sum mind you. €160,000 a year for this level of mediocrity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭bot43

Has it actually been confirm that Quinlan is gone or was he quietly let go out the back door?

bot43 wrote: »
    Has it actually been confirm that Quinlan is gone or was he quietly let go out the back door?

He wasn't there this morning but he was on at least once last week.

Anyone remember the short-lived "Quinny's Shout Outs" segment; are you an U-12 B Hurling Team playing a friendly this weekend? Why not have Quinny make a shout out for your team?

Such professionalism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

He wasn't there this morning but he was on at least once last week.

Anyone remember the short-lived "Quinny's Shout Outs" segment; are you an U-12 B Hurling Team playing a friendly this weekend? Why not have Quinny make a shout out for your team?

Such professionalism.

I just realised this morning that I can no longer listen to this while Williams is on it. Its just crap.

For all his faults, Yates is a great broadcaster and was brilliant on the morning slot.

Williams and Coleman engagied in a jocular game of "guess the county's nickname" this morning, it was as stupid as it sounds. Coleman finished with a "send in your favourite county nicknames to 53106". This was an actual segment.

• Advertisement

Williams and Coleman engagied in a jocular game of "guess the county's nickname" this morning, it was as stupid as it sounds. Coleman finished with a "send in your favourite county nicknames to 53106". This was an actual segment.

Glad I missed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

They must be desperate for the text fee revenue. How much does Williams get paid for this garbage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

today was my first time listening in a few weeks.
    first thing I heard was the segment on getting an alcoholic drink with a haircut.

towards the end Williams was trying to slag Coleman for "being such a cool dude" for having a beer in the barbers, with Coleman cutting him off and repeating that he doesn't have a beer, which was his whole point in the discussion, then Williams again attempting some more wacky banter by claiming that Coleman was just upset that he had never been offered a beer while having his haircut, with Coleman saying that not only has he been offered one in several places, but that again, he didn't see a reason to have one, which was his whole point.

turned straight to R1 then. it might be boring, but at least it's better than Williams' nonsense.

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    They must be desperate for the text fee revenue. How much does Williams get paid for this garbage?
    I'm not sure where I heard this (but it was on Newstalk, pretty sure it was George Hook) that the text message fee doesn't generate much, if any, profit. Presumably a chunk of the fee goes to the network provider and another chunk goes to whatever technology is needed.

I'm sure its different for RTE, e.g. the Liveline text polls must generate a significant sum.

if it was generating a decent amount of money for them, i probably wouldn't mind them plugging it every 2 minutes as much. can barely get through an item on any of the shows 7am-7pm weekday shows without a few pleas to text in.

I'm not sure where I heard this (but it was on Newstalk, pretty sure it was George Hook) that the text message fee doesn't generate much, if any, profit. Presumably a chunk of the fee goes to the network provider and another chunk goes to whatever technology is needed.

I'm sure its different for RTE, e.g. the Liveline text polls must generate a significant sum.

When they raised it from (from memory) 10c to 30c Dunphy (rightly IMO) spoke out against it in very strong terms. He called it all sorts of things, inc. profiteering; much to the annoyance (one would imagine) of the Newstalk Management.

The fact that it was raised to 30c during Dunphy's Newstalk tenure shows how long it's been in place. It's not going to pay anyone's fees, but it all adds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

It's mentioned a lot here. 30c doesn't seem that excessive to me for a text line. Something has to pay the bills?

When they raised it from (from memory) 10c to 30c Dunphy (rightly IMO) spoke out against it in very strong terms. He called it all sorts of things, inc. profiteering; much to the annoyance (one would imagine) of the Newstalk Management.

The fact that it was raised to 30c during Dunphy's Newstalk tenure shows how long it's been in place. It's not going to pay anyone's fees, but it all adds up.
    Yeah but VAT has to come off it first, and then the provider's charges.

How many people text Pat Kenny in an hour? Maybe 1,000 including competition texts? For a peak time slot, that's only just north of 200 quid an hour, net of VAT, and before provider charges (negative ???) are applied.

Shows like Tom Dunne and John Creedon's probably only get a few dozen texts per hour.

It can only realistically be an earner for the likes of the Liveline text poll, which (as far as I recall) can sometimes get tens of thousands of texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Williams is a joke. This morning, he made the first two minutes sound like amateur hour all by himself. After Coleman did the intro he stumbled over his words and clearly hadn't a thought in his head so he blurted out "Of course you're looking well Shane." Coleman burst out laughing at the randomness of it. Then Williams stumbled some more over his words.

The man is an absolute liability. I'd love to sit Coleman down for a pint and ask him what he really makes of Williams.

• Advertisement

I thought Ian O Doherty was very funny this morning, describing Michael D as a national pet. Then, just after that, Coleman read out a text from someone claiming that the reason we've been a stable, peaceful country is because we have a president! Coleman's reaction was hilarious.

and then asked Williams what he thought, who clearly hadn't been listening and just replied with something like "eh........well........um.....it's an interesting thought", before Coleman stepped back in and rescued him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭HurlingRanker

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Williams is a joke. This morning, he made the first two minutes sound like amateur hour all by himself. After Coleman did the intro he stumbled over his words and clearly hadn't a thought in his head so he blurted out "Of course you're looking well Shane." Coleman burst out laughing at the randomness of it. Then Williams stumbled some more over his words.

The man is an absolute liability. I'd love to sit Coleman down for a pint and ask him what he really makes of Williams.

Why would you do that to yourself??

Jesus Christ. Did anyone hear Williams interview with the lady talking about compensation and Ryanair. I've never heard such stupid questions and it was really awkward. You could tell she thought he was an idiot.

I guess when your opening question of "So are these latest cancellations inconvenient for passengers?" the tone is irrevocably set. That said, he managed to get worse.

I honestly think I could do a better job than him.

Jesus Christ. Did anyone hear Williams interview with the lady talking about compensation and Ryanair. I've never heard such stupid questions and it was really awkward. You could tell she thought he was an idiot.

I guess when your opening question of "So are these latest cancellations inconvenient for passengers?" the tone is irrevocably set. That said, he managed to get worse.

Jesus it was appalling stuff ....couldn't agree more . Totally cringe worthy ! She kept having to prefix her answers with "as I've already said ..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

In case anybody missed the repeated plugging of it, the two amigos will be at the Na Fianna GAA Club in Drumcondra tonight http://www.clgnafianna.com/

I find it difficult to think of anything worse.

• Advertisement

on the plus side, they're doing an OB next Tuesday, and Williams mentioned he won't be there as he's on leave. hopefully it's for the whole week and not just Tuesday. is he back in court by any chance?

on the plus side, they're doing an OB next Tuesday, and Williams mentioned he won't be there as he's on leave. hopefully it's for the whole week and not just Tuesday. is he back in court by any chance?

An OB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Outside Broadcast.

Irish Wolf wrote: »
    Outside Broadcast.

Ah right

I genuinely think you could randomly select any researcher or other staffer on any news programme in Ireland, who could do a better job than P.W.

That said, I've only listened to a handful of broadcasts, mostly relying on what's written in this thread.

He does not belong on serious radio. I can only assume a lot of broadcasters turned down the role (due to hours, salary?)

But just imagine ... who the Hell was NT's next choice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭passremarkable

This thread turning into the Williams bashing thread but have to agree he is atrocious. I tune in to see if he is on, if he is on , the dial is turned!

This thread turning into the Williams bashing thread but have to agree he is atrocious. I tune in to see if he is on, if he is on , the dial is turned!

It is a bit but I was willing to give him a chance when he was rubbish initially thinking he had to improve. He's still appalling and it's a year later. He's not up to it.

He comes across as extremely limited and as a man incapable of developing nuanced opinions. I'm amazed he's made a living as a journalist for so long and I'm shocked that Michael McDowell didn't take him apart when he had Williams on the stand.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

I find it funny that williams tried to make a joke of Coleman for not saying good morning to him, I can relate to Coleman where I’ve had to work with idiots who actually made me hate my job with the the thought of having to talk / work with these types of idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

I genuinely think you could randomly select any researcher or other staffer on any news programme in Ireland, who could do a better job than P.W.

That said, I've only listened to a handful of broadcasts, mostly relying on what's written in this thread.

He does not belong on serious radio. I can only assume a lot of broadcasters turned down the role (due to hours, salary?)

But just imagine ... who the Hell was NT's next choice?

Tibby, the office cat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Newstalk have a consistent policy over the years of hiring 'names', sometimes with little or no broadcasting experience. It's not what I want in a radio presenter but I understand why they keep doint it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

It is a bit but I was willing to give him a chance when he was rubbish initially thinking he had to improve. He's still appalling and it's a year later. He's not up to it.

The interview on Thursday with the lady from the aviation regulator was as bad an interview as you’ll ever hear on radio. In this case it wasn’t his tone or manner per se, it actually sounded like he had no idea what this woman did or why she was there.

Newstalk have a consistent policy over the years of hiring 'names', sometimes with little or no broadcasting experience. It's not what I want in a radio presenter but I understand why they keep doint it.

Its been relatively successful for them, so not surprising they keep doing it, williams though is definitely their first miss step with the policy, it makes me wonder what dirt hes got on them that hes still there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

VinLieger wrote: »
    Its been relatively successful for them, so not surprising they keep doing it, williams though is definitely their first miss step with the policy, it makes me wonder what dirt hes got on them that hes still there

They went all out it for the breakfast show. Williams and Quinlan.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Great to have that lovely voice back on a mainstream show! Show seems to suit her better.

Coleman and mcinerney seem like a good team, by far the best breakfast team from this radio show in a long time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

From bad to worse. I hope Williams returns soon. We already have 1 ultra liberal feminist with no balls on the show. No need for a second.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement