Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk - Breakfast Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,389 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Great to have that lovely voice back on a mainstream show! Show seems to suit her better.

Coleman and mcinerney seem like a good team, by far the best breakfast team from this radio show in a long time

Im really hoping she can temper her tendencies to go after anyone she questions tooth and nail till she gets the exact answer shes looking for.

It makes for awful listening and she comes across as very naive when she does it.

Hoping Coleman might be a good influence on her in this respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    From bad to worse. I hope Williams returns soon. We already have 1 ultra liberal feminist with no balls on the show. No need for a second.

Lol.

"Quinny" was back too. He was as awful as you'd expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

delaad wrote: »
    Tibby, the office cat?

The office cat is called Penny.
    Handsome, grey cat, very territorial and due to an accident leans heavily to the right...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I actually thought he was much better this morning. He almost delivered a full sports bulletin flying solo and there wasn’t even any rugby.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

I also thought he was much better!

Perhaps you need to reset your preconceptions and listen to him!!!!

I also thought he was much better!

Perhaps you need to reset your preconceptions and listen to him!!!!

I did. He started with the golf (info. clearly gathered hastily from Wikipedia/google shortly before the bulletin) then all over the place re. the football, commenting firstly on Liverpool then in the same sentence commenting on Everton without any sort of pause/break/stop to indicate he was talking about a different team; then on FAI Cup result all essentially in one breath before he got to talk about the real issue of the day :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Munster, ignoring once again that Irish rugby had 3 other provinces in action this weekend to solely concentrate on his former team - whilst throwing in a couple of attempted "bants" like comments with Shane Coleman (re. Ronald Koeman for example). If that's much better, I'm not sure how low we can set the bar for him?

He didn't say "yeah, well, ya know" at the start of every sentence though, so maybe you're attributing the improvement to that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

I think Sarah Mcinerney is good. Shane Coleman is very personable, and it's obvious presenters like presenting with him. She was much more at ease than when she was with that plank, O'Donoghue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

The office cat is called Penny.
    Handsome, grey cat, very territorial and due to an accident leans heavily to the right...

So no surprise there then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭fire_man

I have been criticising Quinny in the past but was definitely better today.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I think Sarah Mcinerney is good. Shane Coleman is very personable, and it's obvious presenters like presenting with him. She was much more at ease than when she was with that plank, O'Donoghue.

Its no coincidence that Ciara Kelly was a lot better when she was presenting with Coleman, too.

Definitely something about Shane seems to bring out the best in other presenters, bar Williams.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

This kinsale thing is hilarious.

All its really doing is illustrating just how different the world is for the rest of us.

Even the texters think he's away with the faries with the comparison.

The stats say the average wage is near 40k and we all know what bollocks that is to most too.

:)

Must say though this is the longest I've lasted. Thank God William is absent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

This kinsale thing is hilarious.

All its really doing is illustrating just how different the world is for the rest of us.

Even the texters think he's away with the faries with the comparison.

The stats say the average wage is near 40k and we all know what bollocks that is to most too.

:)

Must say though this is the longest I've lasted. Thank God William is absent.

It's a nonsensical idea. I wonder who came up with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I did. He started with the golf (info. clearly gathered hastily from Wikipedia/google shortly before the bulletin) then all over the place re. the football, commenting firstly on Liverpool then in the same sentence commenting on Everton without any sort of pause/break/stop to indicate he was talking about a different team; then on FAI Cup result all essentially in one breath before he got to talk about the real issue of the day :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Munster, ignoring once again that Irish rugby had 3 other provinces in action this weekend to solely concentrate on his former team - whilst throwing in a couple of attempted "bants" like comments with Shane Coleman (re. Ronald Koeman for example). If that's much better, I'm not sure how low we can set the bar for him?

It's rare I listen because I think Williams is one of the worst human beings in the country, but I happened to flick over to the sports report you're talking about and I agree it was awful stuff. If that's an improvement from Quinny then the bar must have been even lower than I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Jesus, McInerney is so much better and so much better informed than Williams it's not funny. If he continues this gig over her then someone in Newstalk needs their head read.

• Advertisement

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Jesus, McInerney is so much better and so much better informed than Williams it's not funny. If he continues this gig over her then someone in Newstalk needs their head read.

A few things there:
    1. I don't think anyone ever said McInereny wasn't better or better informed than Williams - but that's not a high bar to be setting in fairness
    2. Newstalk have a hiring focus on "names" over ability in most cases; and like it or not, Paul Williams is a bigger name in the media in Ireland than Sarah McInerney.
    3. Her problem on Drive wasn't her preparedness or lack thereof, it was her aggressive style, smugness, the way she hounded contributors that didn't express a view that was exactly as hers, her feministic agenda and the basic point that the majority of the audience simply did not like her.

I'm not a Williams fan or advocate - far from it (read my posts on him and you'll see it very clearly). He's a lowest common denominator tabloid gutter journalist and a relic of a time in journalism that has long passed its sell-by date. But that doesn't mean Sarah is good. Is she better than Williams? Yes. But again, that's not exactly saying much. Given her personality and style, I just don't think she's suited to radio or TV.

In sum, they're both wrong for a breakfast show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Expunge

Do Mr. Coleman and Ms. McInerney both have lisps? It sounded on my radio this morning that they both indeed have. Can anyone else hear it or is it just me.

Anyhoo, Newtalk is declining rapidly from not a very high base. Sounds to me like the Dealz version of LBC.

Expunge wrote: »
    Do Mr. Coleman and Ms. McInerney both have lisps? It sounded on my radio this morning that they both indeed have. Can anyone else hear it or is it just me.

Anyhoo, Newtalk is declining rapidly from not a very high base. Sounds to me like the Dealz version of LBC.

Coleman has a lisp or has possibly starting putting one on of late. McInerney, along with her other faults, has now gotten into the habit of not clearing her throats and sound like an old person gargling phlegm. V annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

McInerney has a lovely voice. Was a nice surprise waking up to her this morning and I think she works very well with Shane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Expunge

BailMeOut wrote: »
    McInerney has a lovely voice. Was a nice surprise waking up to her this morning and I think she works very well with Shane.

Just me, or my radio. Fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

She sounds a lot angrier since she got dropped from the other show.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Bellend Williams is back.

I’m following newstalks advice and changing the dial, except its away from newstalk

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

Expunge wrote: »
    Just me, or my radio. Fair enough.

No, not just you. I always here a lisp or something along those lines when Sarah speaks....was the same on Drive. Quite grating.

No, not just you. I always here a lisp or something along those lines when Sarah speaks....was the same on Drive. Quite grating.

It was actually a relief to have Williams back. A big hairy pair of balls in the studio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,290 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    It was actually a relief to have Williams back. A big hairy pair of balls in the studio

that's one way to describe Williams and Coleman alright..

Like Coleman a lot and don't like Quinlan much but...

Quinny should have decked him this morning. Throughout the sports report, particularly on the football, Coleman talked all over Quinlan. It was bordering on rude. Quinlan might not be much good but let him do his job ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

yeah, heard that, he could barely get 3 words into a sentence before Coleman started talking over him. several times it was just a jumble of both of them talking at once which made for awful listening.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

yeah, heard that, he could barely get 3 words into a sentence before Coleman started talking over him. several times it was just a jumble of both of them talking at once which made for awful listening.

....and it was still better than listening to Paul Williams.

:pac:

Why do I do this to myself? Listened on the way in to work for some reason - for a while.

From this morning:
    Segment on men wearing shoes with no socks - park the fact that was a segment for a minute and just go with it. Williams engaged in some "hilarious" #bants :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: with Coleman as Coleman doesn't wear socks on occasion. Cue Williams sniffing numerous times implying there's a smell emanating from Coleman's feet. Then he butchered the pronunciation of the word "podiatrist" and was corrected by Coleman, followed by attempting to slag Coleman off as having as many shoes as Imelda Marcos, but instead said Imelda May. Then the BIG reveal - Coleman wears invisi-socks! It was right up there with the ending of The Usual Suspects when you found out Verbal Kint was, in fact, Keyser Soze. They could make a movie out of it.

Then the sports with sports host Shane Coleman and an occasional interjection from Transition Year Work Placement student Quinny. Talked about the soccerball first and TYWPQ (who honestly must think all sports are just a diluted form of rugby) throws out lines about "blood flowing" (twice), "adrenalin rushing", "these are the games you play for", "pashun" etc. as well as his trademarked "yeah, well, ya know". Then he says that revenge is not a factor but that "it will give them a ledge" (I assume he meant to say "little edge" and it just became "ledge"). Then onto more familiar territory for TYWPQ and he gives his verdict on the Connacht v Ulster game over the weekend - oh wait, no, he didn't because as FOCKING usual he's only interested in Munster. He then butchers the score saying Leinster won 28-3-17 (WTF??????!!!!) - the actual score was 23-17 but he managed to fock that up despite working the game for TV and no doubt reading the score from a printed script in front of him. I wouldn't leave him alone with a plastic bag but Newstalk think he's able for National Radio. I would love to know what the Off The Ball lads really think of TYWPQ?

All of the above was in one 10minute section of the show from about 7:25-7:35am. I assume there were many more fock-ups during the rest of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

Why do I do this to myself? Listened on the way in to work for some reason - for a while.

From this morning:
    Segment on men wearing shoes with no socks - park the fact that was a segment for a minute and just go with it. Williams engaged in some "hilarious" #bants :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: with Coleman as Coleman doesn't wear socks on occasion. Cue Williams sniffing numerous times implying there's a smell emanating from Coleman's feet. Then he butchered the pronunciation of the word "podiatrist" and was corrected by Coleman, followed by attempting to slag Coleman off as having as many shoes as Imelda Marcos, but instead said Imelda May. Then the BIG reveal - Coleman wears invisi-socks! It was right up there with the ending of The Usual Suspects when you found out Verbal Kint was, in fact, Keyser Soze. They could make a movie out of it.

Then the sports with sports host Shane Coleman and an occasional interjection from Transition Year Work Placement student Quinny. Talked about the soccerball first and TYWPQ (who honestly must think all sports are just a diluted form of rugby) throws out lines about "blood flowing" (twice), "adrenalin rushing", "these are the games you play for", "pashun" etc. as well as his trademarked "yeah, well, ya know". Then he says that revenge is not a factor but that "it will give them a ledge" (I assume he meant to say "little edge" and it just became "ledge"). Then onto more familiar territory for TYWPQ and he gives his verdict on the Connacht v Ulster game over the weekend - oh wait, no, he didn't because as FOCKING usual he's only interested in Munster. He then butchers the score saying Leinster won 28-3-17 (WTF??????!!!!) - the actual score was 23-17 but he managed to fock that up despite working the game for TV and no doubt reading the score from a printed script in front of him. I wouldn't leave him alone with a plastic bag but Newstalk think he's able for National Radio. I would love to know what the Off The Ball lads really think of TYWPQ?

All of the above was in one 10minute section of the show from about 7:25-7:35am. I assume there were many more fock-ups during the rest of it.

i'm pretty sure he used the word "tosspot" this morning on the radio also, not sure who he was referring to, but if my ears didn't betray me, then that's very amateurish radio broadcasting... get him off , please....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

i'm pretty sure he used the word "tosspot" this morning on the radio also, not sure who he was referring to, but if my ears didn't betray me, then that's very amateurish radio broadcasting... get him off , please....

Tosspot is very mild from Williams, you obviously haven't been listening recently.

I see they gave TYWPQ the morning off today as it was wall to wall soccerball on sports. That was the only part I listened to this morning (at 7:30ish) as I was on a call after that. They showed him - and the listeners - some mercy. I couldn't have listened to the following this morning:

Shane Coleman: Great result for the boys in green last night
    TYWPQ: Yeah, well, ya know, Ireland ultimately won the game of soccerball by scoring more goals than Wales. We now go into something called a Play Off where we play some other team Home & Away - is that not a tv show? And the winners of that go to the World Cup. It's all very complicated. I turned on the telly last night to watch the end of the game but there was no team playing in green so I assume it wasn't on telly. The match was played in Cardiff, which is in Wales apparently. And Wales have a very good rugby team.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Quinlan on this morning talking about Liverpool and United this weekend. Says Mourinho has a thing against Liverpool that started when he did that celebration when Chelsea beat Liverpool to stop them winning the league. Nothing to do with ghost goal or the champions league games over 10 Years ago :pac:

Gave it about 10mins this morning.

Transition Year Work Placement Quinlan AS USUAL made the Sports Report ALL ABOUT MUNSTER again this morning. Twat.

Shortly afterwards Williams made some smart comment about Shane Coleman being in bed whilst he held the fort down and then butchered his attempt at a Countdown to Christmas y saying it was

65 MINUTES, 14 hours, 22 MINUTES and 12 seconds away.

So it's tonight then Paul is it?

Gave it about 10mins this morning.

Transition Year Work Placement Quinlan AS USUAL made the Sports Report ALL ABOUT MUNSTER again this morning. Twat.

Shortly afterwards Williams made some smart comment about Shane Coleman being in bed whilst he held the fort down and then butchered his attempt at a Countdown to Christmas y saying it was

65 MINUTES, 14 hours, 22 MINUTES and 12 seconds away.

So it's tonight then Paul is it?

Thought I misheard that and assumed he couldn't be that stupid not to correct himself.

My skin crawled a bit when he said something to Cuddihy along the lines of "You know I love Christmas. There you are, sitting there imagining me sitting on Santa's lap, aren't you?"

I'm slightly exaggerating (only slightly) but it was Fr Fintan Stack-esque.

Thought I misheard that and assumed he couldn't be that stupid not to correct himself.

My skin crawled a bit when he said something to Cuddihy along the lines of "You know I love Christmas. There you are, sitting there imagining me sitting on Santa's lap, aren't you?"

Oh God yes, I heard that too but had obviously banished it from my memory. Thansk for reminding me.

Followed up by:
    "And I love the Guinness ad. I'll probably get in trouble for saying that but I love it"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Oh God yes, I heard that too but had obviously banished it from my memory. Thansk for reminding me.

Followed up by:
    "And I love the Guinness ad. I'll probably get in trouble for saying that but I love it"

Is it possible to get second hand cringe--cos I think I am, just from reading that. God, Williams has nothing to say when gangs are out getting a kebab and sitting in to watch the Late Late on a Friday night. *I think I just threw up in my mouth a little, reading that again.*

That Dil lady's giving out about you know who again on her 'podcast'...because if nobody wants to hear it, start a podcast. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,964 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

For those unfamiliar with the humorous excerpt referenced:
    https://twitter.com/frtedqotd/status/594199925308653568

Is Dil gone from newstalk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,964 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Is Dil gone from newstalk?

Yep. She's just launched a new podcast if you're desperate for a Dil-fix...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Yep. She's just launched a new podcast if you're desperate for a Dil-fix...

I'm sure her listener will be delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Yay. I see we've managed to shoehorn a person who no longer works at Newstalk into a completely unrelated thread just so we can all have a go at doling out the same old insults and jibes. Yay, I say.

I’m probably nit picking now but Williams doing the Catalonia debate this morning was terrible.

On four occasions, he called the area Catalan. I was willing to forgive the first or second slip as maybe a brainfart but when the interviewees both called it Catalonia, he still went and called it Catalan.

Then his counter argument to the referendum result was along the lines of “well the Catalans have proved they want to be Spanish, they voted for the Spanish Constitution in the 70s.” Referencing a vote in 1978 really beggars belief.

The man is clueless and unprofessional.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I’m probably nit picking now but Williams doing the Catalonia debate this morning was terrible.

The man is clueless and unprofessional.

This is why I've started tuning in occassionally. I realised a couple of weeks ago that this is a once in a generation total clusterf... of a show.
    Instead of expecting interesting and professional presenting I ezpect the most hand over eyes cringe inducing radio ever heard and I haven't been disappointed yet.

The Catalan debate was a classic in the pantheon of broadcasting ineptitude, especially when Williams couldn't wrap up the interview as one guest kept rambling on (Las Rambla!).

Then it was over to Sports! with Zoo Keeper Coleman throwing slippery fish to the doped up seal affectionately known as Quinny.

This is the best worst radio ever and when administered in small doses it can be a baffling and funny thing to witness.

humberklog wrote: »
    This is why I've started tuning in occassionally. I realised a couple of weeks ago that this is a once in a generation total clusterf... of a show.
    Instead of expecting interesting and professional presenting I ezpect the most hand over eyes cringe inducing radio ever heard and I haven't been disappointed yet.

The Catalan debate was a classic in the pantheon of broadcasting ineptitude, especially when Williams couldn't wrap up the interview as one guest kept rambling on (Las Rambla!).

Then it was over to Sports! with Zoo Keeper Coleman throwing slippery fish to the doped up seal affectionately known as Quinny.

This is the best worst radio ever and when administered in small doses it can be a baffling and funny thing to witness.

Ah Quinlan is priceless. He obviously had no real insight into Liverpool’s defensive problems so he trawled the message boards for some stats and came up with “the worst defensive start since 1964” one. Could barely get the words out to articulate that stat much less give any insight (like whether it is Klopp’s tactics causing the problem or individual mistakes or why it’s happening away from home and not at Anfield). Aside from rugby, a cabbage could do a better job than him.

• Advertisement

humberklog wrote: »

Ok....ok...ok.....ok....ok......ok.....we're outta time.........ok.....ok......ok....ok

Ah Quinlan is priceless. He obviously had no real insight into Liverpool’s defensive problems so he trawled the message boards for some stats and came up with “the worst defensive start since 1964” one. Could barely get the words out to articulate that stat much less give any insight (like whether it is Klopp’s tactics causing the problem or individual mistakes or why it’s happening away from home and not at Anfield). Aside from rugby, a cabbage could do a better job than him.

His full name is Transition Year Work Placement Quinlan.

On Friday morning he mentioned that "loads of Irish fans travel over the UK every weekend for matches". He then proceeds to mention it TWICE today - first about Liverpool, and then AGAIN about Everton.

My favourite line on Klopp was "it's time for the bluffing to stop" (or words to that effect) - the irony!!!!!!

Did anyone notice Coleman signed of to TYWPQ with "we'll see you again on Friday"? Nice work if you can get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,290 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

two things -

1) TYWPQ - can someone please explain this when referring to Quinny?

2) C&W can't help but snipe at each other. It isn't banter - its uncomfortable attempts at one-up-man-ship.

For example - when Williams was talking to some ex-Kerry footballer this morning who was based in Spain, he signed off by saying he would have liked more time to talk to him about his football career. He hands over to Coleman who says "thanks to the big GAA fan Paul Williams there..." knowing he hasn't a clue about GAA.

And when Williams welcomed Coleman back at 7 from his day off on Friday he "joked" that he was going to call him early. Coleman replied "i had my mobile turned off". Williams then "well, your landline then" - Coleman said "I don't have one".. radio silence.
    Cringeworthy stuff

everlast75 wrote: »
    two things -

1) TYWPQ - can someone please explain this when referring to Quinny?

Transition Year Work Placement Quinlan

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement