Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk - Breakfast Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Surprised with Vincent this morning. Kept saying alUminUM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Expunge

Faugheen wrote: »
    You all do realise that Williams appeared before Disclosures and can't talk about it?

Why can't he talk about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Faugheen wrote: »
    You all do realise that Williams appeared before Disclosures and can't talk about it?

Never stopped him before, but if thats currently the case it actually makes me kinda of happy knowing how internally raging he must be that he can't shoot of his big mouth about his favorite topic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

First discussion this morning. Should wolf whistling be a hate crime.
    Followed by a childish rant about Trump from Williams.
    The usual predictable opinions from Newstalk. It must be down on the job prospectus "Must not have mind of your own".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Followed by a childish rant about Trump from Williams.
    The usual predictable opinions from Newstalk. It must be down on the job prospectus "Must not have mind of your own".

I had to grimace as he remarked yesterday that the year since the coast guard helicopter crash has " flown by".

• Advertisement

UsedToWait wrote: »
    I had to grimace as he remarked yesterday that the year since the coast guard helicopter crash has " flown by".

He shouldnt be allowed speak on that topic after trying to play the blame game to sell his own column inches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Haha those impressions were gas

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Almost a month since the last post! Have ye finally succumbed to PW charm or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Vincent was caught a bit on the hop this morning when his markets analyst didn't show up, cue Aidan "Marning Vincent" Donnelly to save the day

Almost a month since the last post! Have ye finally succumbed to PW charm or what?

We’re bored Paul........... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

No such thing as bad news! I bet Newstalk would prefer people talk about you .....good or bad ........ than say nothing at all . :D:D

• Advertisement

With about 3 mins to 7 also! Fair play Aidan!

We’re bored Paul........... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

No such thing as bad news! I bet Newstalk would prefer people talk about you .....good or bad ........ than say nothing at all . :D:D

Very true. Even the shows that people "don't listen to" often get a lot of traffic here. Reckon the dial is well and truly turned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

Has Williams improved? Haven't listened for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

i was thinking the same thing ;), but then remembered that he has no charm..

i gave it about 3 minutes today, and heard him ranting on about the "housing crisis", which is a stange term to put on these people who had 350k to spend on a house, they just wanted to queue to get one, they same way punters would to see a gig by a pop star.

so ii think his definition of housing crisis is different then most people.

.....anyway, then i switched back to RTE, and my PW stress / RAGE headache abided, and all is good :0

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Some snipping over a cup of tea v cup of coffee at 7am, that was me out. Nick Ferrari gets my morning listen, even though it's mostly London gang crime & Jeremy Corben etc at least the man is professional

Some snipping over a cup of tea v cup of coffee at 7am, that was me out. Nick Ferrari gets my morning listen, even though it's mostly London gang crime & Jeremy Corben etc at least the man is professional

Never listened to his radio show but have seen him on The Pledge and he always talk sense. A very old school Fleet Street journalist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭dball

Has Williams improved? Haven't listened for a while.
    :)

What has happened to this thread? Has everyone fallen asleep listening to Williams and Coleman?

What has happened to this thread? Has everyone fallen asleep listening to Williams and Coleman?

People are just too fed up to even bother listening, I think he's finally passed the point of even when people talk negatively about you they are still talking about you, hopefully we will see a dip in the next round of JNLR numbers and he will be shown the door by end of year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭dball

the only part of the new-stalk breakfast show I get involved with in any way shape or form is this thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057332627

Other than this i bailed ages ago.
    its a joke!

• Advertisement

dball wrote: »
    the only part of the new-stalk breakfast show I get involved with in any way shape or form is this thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057332627

Other than this i bailed ages ago.
    its a joke!

This post might break boards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭mikep

Paul earned his salary this morning complaining about the coverage of the INM/ODCE issue...whinged about the "vultures circling", referring to other media organisations, as the story made the front pages of all the broadsheet..
    Tabloid radio at its finest..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

mikep wrote: »
    Paul earned his salary this morning complaining about the coverage of the INM/ODCE issue...whinged about the "vultures circling", referring to other media organisations, as the story made the front pages of all the broadsheet..

Careful now.....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Historybluff

mikep wrote: »

Yeah, he's getting a bit hot under the collar about it. The week before last, when the ODCE's complaints against INM became public - i.e. the alleged unauthorised removal of journalists' data from the organisation - Williams insisted on a few occasions that we had yet to hear IMN's defence. While you could say that this was admirably balanced of him, he rarely displays such pointed concerns for balance when dealing with other new stories. Then this morning, as you say, he lashed out at unnamed media organisations for their coverage of the story. He said that 'so called Business Editors' were disingenuous in their outrage about the issue and were really motivated by jealousy at the success of IMN journalists at getting scoops. As an employee of INM and Newstalk, surely Williams has a conflict of interest on the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

..surely Williams has a conflict of interest on the issue.

Hasn't stopped him before.
    Disgraceful 'journalist'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Hasn't stopped him before.
    Disgraceful 'journalist'

Journalist-jackass-Hannity-478x257.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11 wonderohwonder

Increase of 10,000 listeners!! I think they are still about 50,000 off Chris and Ivan's peak but Williams is clearly less of a problem than Boards suggests.

Interesting

Increase of 10,000 listeners!! I think they are still about 50,000 off Chris and Ivan's peak but Williams is clearly less of a problem than Boards suggests.

Interesting

I cannot understand it beyond my theory that people enjoy looking at car crashes so possibly this is along the same lines?

Was in the car when the sports news was on so listened for the first time in a very long time to see if Quinlan had improved. Here's the gist of it:

Shane Coleman: Man City will have an asterisk on their season following their Champions League exit but they're running away with the Premier League.
    Alan Quinlan: Yeah, they're breaking records, breaking records. They've now scored 102 goals which is a record.......
    (PAUSE + AWKWARD SILENCE)
    .....except for Chelsea who scored 103 in 2009-2010.
    (PAUSE + AWKWARD SILENCE)
    But they will break that record.And they're on course to have 100 points so they'll break that record too.

Great to see he's improved so much and not just reading off a google facts printout that was handed to him 3 seconds before he went on air. Alan Quinlan discussing soccerball is always amusing. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Tuned in for 3 minutes this morning as I felt like I had too many braincells today so could make do without a couple and immediately heard paul going on a rant about the "twitterati" and twitter trolls, im guessing he really doesn't like it when people can talk back at him when he spouts outright lies or his cave man opinions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Williams very defensive of the boys in blue this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

citykat wrote: »

Williams considers himself a member of the Gardai by default. He's also a well respected criminologist,barrister,author extraordinare and of course ,a radio host.

Lol.

Williams is such a pain. Please Newstalk, get a replacement...... but not Jonathan Healy. He's even worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

citykat wrote: »

Unlike Kenny who can't wait to stick the boot in as usual.
    Why can't people wait until we see what pans out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,463 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Somehow Williams managed to make it all about himself.

Radio One was way more informative without the "crime expert".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

Shane Coleman is a sanctimonious, boring pr!ck. There was some guy on during the week talking about how Ireland's universities are out of the Top 100. Coleman persistently talked over him and tried to belittle him ( the other guy could well deserve it, I don't know him), his manner is cringeworthy, it's like he is trying to prove he can be taken seriously as a journalist when, in fact, the opposite is true.

Also do himself and Williams even like each other, the constant sniping is getting a bit much.

Shane Coleman is a sanctimonious, boring pr!ck. There was some guy on during the week talking about how Ireland's universities are out of the Top 100. Coleman persistently talked over him and tried to belittle him ( the other guy could well deserve it, I don't know him), his manner is cringeworthy, it's like he is trying to prove he can be taken seriously as a journalist when, in fact, the opposite is true.

Also do himself and Williams even like each other, the constant sniping is getting a bit much.

I forgot this programme even existed, such is the pitiful standard of broadcasting on show. I Long ago moved the dial.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

I forgot this programme even existed, such is the pitiful standard of broadcasting on show. I Long ago moved the dial.

I'm following your example!!!

9 posts in May and June (so far) speaks volumes really.

9 posts in May and June (so far) speaks volumes really.

Indeed, and this used to be one of the busier threads.

• Advertisement

Indeed, and this used to be one of the busier threads.

Mostly for slagging the hosts.....though with no one listening we’re probably missing Comedy Gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Tuned in for the first time in ages this morning. Gerard Craughwell was on, an open goal for an interviewer you'd think. But no, the usual tooth-pulling exercise for Williams. Spent half the time parsing the meaning of 'cute hoor', as if listeners would never have heard the term...

To be fair, 'Quinny' was on talking about rugby, as a pundit rather than presenter, and he was fine.

Ended up tuning in this morning, coleman trying to push some classist populist bullsh1t that why should poor people be subsidising university for the middle class as they are the only people who go to it or get anything out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭NotVeryHappy

Poor Paul really struggled with the concept of averages this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

VinLieger wrote: »
    Ended up tuning in this morning, coleman trying to push some classist populist bullsh1t that why should poor people be subsidising university for the middle class as they are the only people who go to it or get anything out of it

So does he think I should amend my tax deductions to avoid unemployment benefits because I get nothing out of it?

Get in there Vin....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

Shane is now starting to sound like Buzzkill Darcy. Whine whine whine.

It didn't get better after 9am. Healy was insufferable this morning standing in for PK. He's right about everything and even when presented with facts continues to insist his opinion is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

griffin100 wrote: »

It didn't get better after 9am. Healy was insufferable this morning standing in for PK. He's right about everything and even when presented with facts continues to insist his opinion is right.

Bang on!

griffin100 wrote: »

Well he's not the only one on Newstalk with that attitude.....I see your Johnathan Healy and raise you Ciara Kelly.

Well he's not the only one on Newstalk with that attitude.....I see your Johnathan Healy and raise you Ciara Kelly.

I see your Ciara Kelly and raise you...... oh wait, there's no-one worse than her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Max Prophet

I see your Ciara Kelly and raise you...... oh wait, there's no-one worse than her.

Dil?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement