Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk - Breakfast Show

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

Dil?

*Shivers uncontrollably*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Dil?

Ah, the (unpleasant) memories......

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Mod Note

Lets just get back on topic before this ends up a train wreck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Parents had this on during breakfast. Hadn’t listened before. Such a lightweight show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

honeybear wrote: »
    Parents had this on during breakfast. Hadn’t listened before. Such a lightweight show.

It's awful. Very amateurish.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Dil?

Wonder how the "comedy" career is going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Max Prophet

quintana76 wrote: »
    Wonder how the "comedy" career is going.

Tee hee. Or maybe not.....

I really like Andrea Gilligan. I feel sorry for her having to try and deal with Paul Williams' awful banter.

Plus she has a very unique accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I really like Andrea Gilligan. I feel sorry for her having to try and deal with Paul Williams' awful banter.

Plus she has a very unique accent.

Yeeeh.....right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Would Williams ever shut up for a while.
    Opinion on every ****ing thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

kneemos wrote: »

100% agreed.
    Only one problem though....
    Williams has his feet firmly under the table by now.
    There's a marked change in his demeanour since he started,he truly believes he is a seasoned broadcasting pro now.
    He is atrocious.

Listened to him once on the show-Morning Ireland with its many rotating presenters is better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

yeah, find myself listening to Morning Ireland a lot more now.
    usually flick to Newstalk once they have another depressing health story on, and then get annoyed by Williams having a mini-rant and throwing in "arseholes" or "scum" and then switch to music.

Colman sounds done with the whole thing.
    Either the early mornings, Williams or both,I reackon he'd take a job on a fishing boat at the his stage.

Colman sounds done with the whole thing.
    Either the early mornings, Williams or both,I reackon he'd take a job on a fishing boat at the his stage.

Hopefully a boat with a large hole in the hull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭dball

new show coming in August - pre-breakfast show:
    https://www.newstalk.com/Newstalk-announces-new-6am-daily-news-programme-

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

dball wrote: »

Better than reruns of OFB for me anyway, though I do enjoy the odd bit, Andy Lee & his manager this morning

Wouldn't like starting work at 6

Andrea is worthy of a more heavyweight role than 6am -6.30 imo.
    Just dump motormouth Williams and give her his role on Breakfast.

The man is an imbecile.

All the best to Andrea though.
    I think she's a quality presenter.

Uncharted wrote: »

The man is an imbecile.

Same. I'm sure she'll get something better in the not too distant future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

As bad as Paul Williams is hes somewhat mildly entertaining to a casual listener for his Partridge like depths of radio.

I'd have him over the good doctor Ciara Kelly, that woman is insufferable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭ashdale5

Uncharted wrote: »

The man is an imbecile.

Listened in this morning for the first time in a while.

Heard this from Williams within 2 minutes of tuning in (during a discussion about a pregnant woman on the DART) -

"We are a nation of whingers and moaners, full of snowflakes and PCers"

Tuned out immediately. He is an absolute muppet of a man.

ashdale5 wrote: »
    Listened in this morning for the first time in a while.

Heard this from Williams within 2 minutes of tuning in (during a discussion about a pregnant woman on the DART) -

"We are a nation of whingers and moaners, full of snowflakes and PCers"

Tuned out immediately. He is an absolute muppet of a man.

Wall to wall Williams. His partner barely got a word in.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

he was giving out about the sun paper today, and the "Jeremy kyle" readers,
    he laughed when he read the word "cataclysmic" and pondered how a sun reader would be able to read and understand such a word?

this coming from "mumbly joe", who cant string two words together, and only reaches long sentences in a bid to talk over the other presenters.

and truthfully Paul, you are the kind of presenter that appeals to the jermery Kyle brigade, you are loud, ignorant and obnoxious. perhaps you should emigrate?

he was giving out about the sun paper today, and the "Jeremy kyle" readers,
    he laughed when he read the word "cataclysmic" and pondered how a sun reader would be able to read and understand such a word?

this coming from "mumbly joe", who cant string two words together, and only reaches long sentences in a bid to talk over the other presenters.

and truthfully Paul, you are the kind of presenter that appeals to the jermery Kyle brigade, you are loud, ignorant and obnoxious. perhaps you should emigrate?

Insulted ten million Sun readers. Obviously didn't get the irony.

Most of them buy it for the sports anyway, I imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Didn't Williams write for The Sun for a while after he left The Sunday World?

I'm as anti-snowflake as they come but I can't stand the loudmouths who whinge that everything is PC bla bla bla. My guess is they don't even care about the issues but like to be seen to be outspoken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

"...and why men in general are violent towards women"

An actual sentence just spoken by Paul Williams.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    "...and why men in general are violent towards women"

An actual sentence just spoken by Paul Williams.

Unbelievable isn't it? Dot these clowns ever think before they say something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Lemongrease

Let’s play “Paul trys to use a big word he doesn’t quite understand” bingo

Immiscible

Languid

Visceral (a big favourite)

It’s like he has one of those word of the day calendars. The lad can hardly string a sentence together coherently ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

He had some guy on this morning talking about cyber security. I for one am none the wiser about anything cyber security wise as Williams would not stop interrupting him. Not sure the guest actually got to finish a sentence.

Its worse Williams is getting and hopefully he is sacked soon.

It's obvious Coleman is getting sick of him. Could definitely feel the tension today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭dball

while Newstalk Breakfast was flat since the last survey at 126,000, up 7,000 on the figure a year ago.

source; https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/ivan-yates-overtakes-pat-kenny-on-newstalk-as-most-radio-shows-gain-listeners-1.3577113

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

while Newstalk Breakfast was flat since the last survey at 126,000, up 7,000 on the figure a year ago.

source; https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/ivan-yates-overtakes-pat-kenny-on-newstalk-as-most-radio-shows-gain-listeners-1.3577113

Thats actually unbelievable.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

It's obvious Coleman is getting sick of him. Could definitely feel the tension today

When Paul mentioned how good Jennifer Lopez looked in the bikini you could hear Coleman bite his tongue. I did giggle.

bot43 wrote: »
    Thats actually unbelievable.

The alternative is a dreary 1950's BBC imitation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

Those show promo snippets they put on during an ad break are my only exposure to Paul Williams, they have this new one with him doing the peter pepper tongue twister...it’s bizarre. The only thing I could think of was how much I wanted him in front of me with a baseball bat in my hand and give it a full swing to his face mid tongue twister.

Gavin “ah ah ah ah” Duffy ok ah ah ah ah ah Breakfast at the moment waffling about his run for the Aras. Can’t believe he’s a media trainer; with the amount of “ah ah ah ah”s and mumbling. Awful interview, thought he caught out Coleman at one stage and was audibly smug, then had to backtrack on it. At least he’s dropped the “and that”s; which used to be his go to stumble crutch.

Gavin “ah ah ah ah” Duffy ok ah ah ah ah ah Breakfast at the moment waffling about his run for the Aras. Can’t believe he’s a media trainer; with the amount of “ah ah ah ah”s and mumbling. Awful interview, thought he caught out Coleman at one stage and was audibly smug, then had to backtrack on it. At least he’s dropped the “and that”s; which used to be his go to stumble crutch.

Can only assume it's some sort of self promotion plan.
    He's way too clever to believe he has a chance of winning,even if he wanted to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Ah bollocks.

I suppose this means the start of the latest wall to wall media saturation election campaiging?

I'm not listening to any of it till the week before I have to vote. What a waste of time.

Thought it was dreadful , very poor interview, actually laughed when he thought he caught Coleman out on a historical point but Shane corrected him. He sounded smug and full of it . Would not like him as president one bit. I’d actually vote for Michael D to keep Duffy out of the Aras, spare us all !

Wasn’t impressed with his interviews on Newstalk & Morning Ireland this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

He sounded smug and full of it

Kind of inevitable in campaigning for the presidency, which basically involves telling everyone 364208e9c9b3a934b29d18035e9121bd--father-ted-comedy.jpg

Only heard the Newstalk one (which considering I rarely listen to Newstalk anymore was purely by chance) but it was terrible. I'd actually encourage people to listen back to the dithering ah ah ah ah ah ahs.....

Can only assume it's some sort of self promotion plan.
    He's way too clever to believe he has a chance of winning,even if he wanted to.

I wouldn't rule it out. I don't think he's a clever as you seem to think and having had the "pleasure" of meeting him more than once I'd say he genuinely thinks he has a chance.

Logic probably based on "Well Donald Trump built his profile on The Apprentice and as was I on the Irish version so naturally I'm going to win".

• Advertisement

Thought it was dreadful , very poor interview, actually laughed when he thought he caught Coleman out on a historical point but Shane corrected him. He sounded smug and full of it . Would not like him as president one bit. I’d actually vote for Michael D to keep Duffy out of the Aras, spare us all !

The guffaw which accompanied the "I hate to correct you there Shane" or whatever he said came off incredibly badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Thought he was rubbish on Newstalk but only average on RTÉ.

Is he really a public speaker/media consultant?

You’d never know from his media interviews - waffle, humming and hawing and long pauses and ehhhhh ahhhhhhhs

Thought he was rubbish on Newstalk but only average on RTÉ.

Is he really a public speaker/media consultant?

You’d never know from his media interviews - waffle, humming and hawing and long pauses and ehhhhh ahhhhhhhs

Yes, he is. I always found that bizarre myself but he is - and he’s not cheap!

I also think he was reading from a script this morning btw, esp. at the start of the interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

That was an abysmal performance by Duffy (and bearing in mind it was with Coleman who carries all the threat of a small puppy), there should be proper car crash stuff when the likes of Pat Kenny gets to interview him.

Sweet suffering baby jebus can someone tell me how Henry McKean has a job on newstalk. Is he a media moguls illegitimate heir, is he some genius hacker who has all the evidence needed, wtaf has he got over newstalk that he still has a job. He is just so so so bad. Its like a school kid on work experience getting a 'go' of the microphone.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement