Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk - Breakfast Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

its been a Paul Williams free week on newstalk radio, so ive listened to it every morning,

its amazing how different it is with out him, no mumbling, no talking over guests, co hosts getting on with each other...

not sure how long its too last, but long may it continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

pc7 wrote: »
    Sweet suffering baby jebus can someone tell me how Henry McKean has a job on newstalk. Is he a media moguls illegitimate heir, is he some genius hacker who has all the evidence needed, wtaf has he got over newstalk that he still has a job. He is just so so so bad. Its like a school kid on work experience getting a 'go' of the microphone.

The minute I hear the words "and we were out and about with Henry McKean, the radio either goes off or the channel is changed. Horrific.
    its been a Paul Williams free week on newstalk radio, so ive listened to it every morning,

its amazing how different it is with out him, no mumbling, no talking over guests, co hosts getting on with each other...

Not long enough unfortunately. Its like night and day with and without him.

"Quinner" hasn't been around for a while either, so actual news readers who know how to read and know their stuff are on instead. Who would have thought that that is the way to do things :confused:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I really like when Ciaran Cuddihy is on, he's very easy listen too and quite natural, he gets constant texts about being a snowflake but takes it well. I think hes a good addition to the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

I really like when Ciaran Cuddihy is on, he's very easy listen too and quite natural, he gets constant texts about being a snowflake but takes it well. I think hes a good addition to the station.
    Ciaran's a Kilkenny man - he's mentioned it once or twice! I saw him hurl. He was no snowflake on the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

Cuddihy is definitely a bit snowflakey but he's not a bad presenter and has a nice manner. Better than Williams anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

Andrea Gilligan does more than her share of mumbling, mmmming, and that annoying deliberate stutter thing that she shares with Ciara Kelly. Both of them also constantly wrap up with a contributor by saying 'listen, my thanks to you...' who the hell says that in normal conversation??

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

EAFC_rdfl wrote: »

Andrea Gilligan does more than her share of mumbling, mmmming, and that annoying deliberate stutter thing that she shares with Ciara Kelly. Both of them also constantly wrap up with a contributor by saying 'listen, my thanks to you...' who the hell says that in normal conversation??

Being on the radio isn't exactly the same as having a normal conversation though, is it?

I mean a normal conversation wouldn't open with 'good morning, you're listening to Newstalk Breakfast...' either.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Vincent Wall mentioned on the business breakfast show he'd been in hospital, hope he's ok, have to say love his voice could listen to him all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Lemongrease

Vincent Wall mentioned on the business breakfast show he'd been in hospital, hope he's ok, have to say love his voice could listen to him all day.

He’s be better that the other two at doing the entire show.

Yeah hes very professional, good tone, good level of wit, he's very likable.

• Advertisement

What do people think of Andrea Gilligan?

A voice for silent movies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Best female presenter on Newstalk by a country mile. She deserves more recognition on the station imo.

Yeah, I like her, she's getting better the more airtime she's getting. Herself and Cieran C would be a good partnership for a show.

Turned off breakfast this morning when they were discussing irish stew, loads going on in the world and stew is the topic at 7.45am. I don't like light in the am, I want to hear the news. Went to morning ireland which can be dull but at least it was the news topics of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Yeah hes very professional, good tone, good level of wit, he's very likable.

+1 to this.

I'd love Vincent to have a regular afternoon 2hour show with guests and contributors. If only there was a lightweight,amateur host that could be gotten rid of.

...... cough...... Ciara Kelly .... cough cough.

Uncharted wrote: »
    +1 to this.

I'd love Vincent to have a regular afternoon 2hour show with guests and contributors. If only there was a lightweight,amateur host that could be gotten rid of.

:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

+1 to this.

Now you’re sexist pig (and likely rapist). You can’t say anything critical of Ciara Kelly; but you certainly can’t say that it would be better to replace her with a MAN!

Best female presenter on Newstalk by a country mile. She deserves more recognition on the station imo.

Doesn’t fit with their apparent rostering of celebrity/known/high-profile “talent”.

I’m just waiting for them to announce Amanda Brunker to do afternoons, and the return of Norah “look at me” Casey.

You can really tell Coleman is much more comfortable when she is filling in. He doesn't have to keep responding to awkward jokes!

• Advertisement

Doesn’t fit with their apparent rostering of celebrity/known/high-profile “talent”.

I’m just waiting for them to announce Amanda Brunker to do afternoons, and the return of Norah “look at me” Casey.

After hearing Casey on Marian Finucane's programme the other day I need at least a year to recover. Her ego knows no bounds.

She isn't Paul Williams which is a major plus. For that alone she should keep her job.

But overall she is quite good. The show works far better with her in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I find Andrea Gilligan boring as hell on her own but I like her with Coleman.

After hearing Casey on Marian Finucane's programme the other day I need at least a year to recover. Her ego knows no bounds.

Ah her ego took a fair bash when her firefighter gave her the flick. She was a touch deluded as he was in his 30s

https://m.independent.ie/woman/celeb-news/norah-casey-my-hot-new-firefighter-whos-incredibly-kind-and-thoughtful-29839172.html

Ah her ego took a fair bash when her firefighter gave her the flick. She was a touch deluded as he was in his 30s

https://m.independent.ie/woman/celeb-news/norah-casey-my-hot-new-firefighter-whos-incredibly-kind-and-thoughtful-29839172.html

I’ve heard he never actually existed....allegedly of course. I mean no one would just invent a fictitious partner to get/keep themselves in the news now would they? :rolleyes:

I’ve heard he never actually existed....allegedly of course. I mean no one would just invent a fictitious partner to get/keep themselves in the news now would they? :rolleyes:

She’s beatin’ them off with a stick !

https://m.independent.ie/style/celebrity/norah-casey-turns-down-dates-after-ending-relationship-with-firefighter-beau-31119490.html

• Advertisement

She’s incredibly full of herself is Norah Casey ! Now that she’s single again she brings up her husband’s name constantly in every conversation “ Richard “ this “Richard” that ....... over and over and over and over and over . She wasn’t doing that when firefighter man was around.

Lots of us have lost loved ones, husbands, wives, children but we just get on with things without broadcasting it. It’s called life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

looks like shes lost one of her chins along with the firefighter

She’s incredibly full of herself is Norah Casey ! Now that she’s single again she brings up her husband’s name constantly in every conversation “ Richard “ this “Richard” that ....... over and over and over and over and over . She wasn’t doing that when firefighter man was around.

Lots of us have lost loved ones, husbands, wives, children but we just get on with things without broadcasting it. It’s called life.

The first time I heard her talking about "Richard" I had no idea who she was talking about until someone here told me. Would she not at least say "My husband, Richard" so people know what she's on about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

The first time I heard her talking about "Richard" I had no idea who she was talking about until someone here told me. Would she not at least say "My husband, Richard" so people know what she's on about.

George Hook always mentions the lovely Ingrid, and doesn't always inform listeners that she's his wife.

• Advertisement

George Hook always mentions the lovely Ingrid, and doesn't always inform listeners that she's his wife.

Well, yes, I suppose, but it's pretty obvious "The lovely Ingrid" is his wife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

He's been gone a few weeks at this stage, possibly quietly slipping off into the sunset?

He did write an article for the independent today
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/paul-williams-how-larry-murphy-became-the-prime-suspect-in-case-of-missing-deirdre-37218712.html
    So its not as if he is not working.

In fairness, he is a damn good crime journalist.

1huge1 wrote: »
    He's been gone a few weeks at this stage, possibly quietly slipping off into the sunset?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/paul-williams-how-larry-murphy-became-the-prime-suspect-in-case-of-missing-deirdre-37218712.html

Well he should stick to what he’s good at ;)

sightband wrote: »
    looks like shes lost one of her chins along with the firefighter

Amazing what liposuction can achieve these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

1huge1 wrote: »

he was on with Ciara yesterday too apparently.

the show is so much better with Andrea these last couple of weeks.
    I have little hope that it'll last though.

**Whispers**
    Is "he" gone, haven't heard him at all in about 3 week?
    please god let him stay gone......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

**Whispers**

Has the one the call Quinny been on lately?

Has the one the call Quinny been on lately?

The general rule is:
    No rugby, no Quinny.

Quinny no understand soccerball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭DM-BM

**Whispers**

Probably back on Monday. Andrea Gilligan's new show starts on Monday.

Quinny was back this morning with his usual charisma and insight to all things sport :mad:

I reckon the other fella will be back later this week or certainly next too :mad::mad:

• Advertisement

bot43 wrote: »
    Quinny was back this morning with his usual charisma and insight to all things sport :mad:

I reckon the other fella will be back later this week or certainly next too :mad::mad:

yup, hes back tomorrow, we were informed at the end of the show today.
    Back to RTE1 for the foreseeable future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Dick Pickle

Will be great to have Paul back. Shake up the lefty SJWs a bit .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Dick Pickle

Let’s play “Paul trys to use a big word he doesn’t quite understand” bingo

Immiscible

Languid

Visceral (a big favourite)

It’s like he has one of those word of the day calendars. The lad can hardly string a sentence together coherently ffs

Thats v snobby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

yup, hes back tomorrow, we were informed at the end of the show today.
    Back to RTE1 for the foreseeable future.

Ditto. Can't take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

kneemos wrote: »
    Ditto. Can't take it.

Heard Williams back again this morning, the same little digs at Coleman that he thinks are funny.
    He reminds me of a fellow I used to work with. Knew just about enough to do the job, would slag anyone who knew anything more than that as being too clever.
    Thought he was a gas man but his whole humour consisted of slagging. If pulled up on it the reaction would be " can you not take a joke?"
    Like Williams he could dish it out but couldn't take it and go into a huff if someone pointed out something he got wrong.

Snowflakes populist scumbags , snowflakes populist scumbags, snowflakes populist scumbags, snowflakes populist scumbags, snowflakes populist scumbags, snowflakes populist scumbags, snowflakes populist scumbags, snowflakes populist scumbags

and so it goes on and on and on and on . Williams is back, most boring and inarticulate presenter on radio.

got the end of it today,
    some td was on about adding a state of the earth type bulletin with the weather forecast.

she wouldn't let mumbly joe get a word in, and you could hear PMCW openly sigh like a spoilt brat who wasn't getting his own way.

That didn't stop him trying to interrupt though, which made for very uneasy listening.

Memo to PMCW, id like to hear what the guest has to say, not what you think is right.

then when he had pat kenny on for the preview directly after this piece, he made a "NAnaNAna NAAAA" noise, when he was "joking" about global warming, and how next summer we would need to get a canoe to go to work.

god he really isnt fit for the job......

Snowflakes populist scumbags , snowflakes populist scumbags, snowflakes populist scumbags, snowflakes populist scumbags, snowflakes populist scumbags, snowflakes populist scumbags, snowflakes populist scumbags, snowflakes populist scumbags

and so it goes on and on and on and on . Williams is back, most boring and inarticulate presenter on radio.

I listened this morning for the first time in ages as apple podcasts wouldn't work in the gym for some reason. I assume you're referring to the interview he did with the Professor who studies bullying. It was embarrassing......

...almost as embarrassing as "Quinny" talking soccerball with Shane Coleman and Kevin Kilbane. He kept calling Harry Arter "Harry ARTHUR", and I'd say Stevie Wonder has watched more soccer in his life than Quinlan. Quinny had his big book of cliches out again, the only surprise was he didn't mention his own playing career and Munster "pashun" with reference to the Ireland Wales game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I listened yesterday morning and some Doctor wiped the floor with Williams when he started saying the HSE was a massive waste of money, he got in a huff and kept interupting. A similar argument on Monday I can't even remember with who but he is a rubbish interviewer

• Advertisement

Someone said to me this week that Williams is there 3 years now. :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement