Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk - Breakfast Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

5555555555 wrote: »
    Coleman had a great chance there to say "enough about you Paul, what about the McGregor fight ?"

The Off the Ball crew are a bit more, well, on the ball when it comes to these opportunities. They had Dan McDonnell in talking about McGregor and other weekend sporting headlines and Joe reads out a text: "How much more time are you going to give to this embarrassment of a man?" One of the other guys jumps in: "Ah I don't think Dan's that bad.":D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Heard Shane Coleman ask Joan Freeman this morning if she felt the media were out to get her because she was on the no side in the abortion ref (suggested as if he were not part of the media himself of course) She said she didn't think so, he kept pushing it "I disagree, I think they are.......".

Maybe I haven't been paying attention but has this really been an issue in interviews with her? I haven't been aware of it I have to say. And if it hasn't been a big issue, then what the hell is Shane C doing now building it up into something?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Heard Shane Coleman ask Joan Freeman this morning if she felt the media were out to get her because she was on the no side in the abortion ref (suggested as if he were not part of the media himself of course) She said she didn't think so, he kept pushing it "I disagree, I think they are.......".

Maybe I haven't been paying attention but has this really been an issue in interviews with her? I haven't been aware of it I have to say. And if it hasn't been a big issue, then what the hell is Shane C doing now building it up into something?
    Shane has to give his opinion on absolutely every topic and will frame all discussions around his opinion. He is insufferable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

Shane has to give his opinion on absolutely every topic and will frame all discussions around his opinion. He is insufferable.

He’s some dweeb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

I wonder will Bobby Kerr increase the prices in Insomnia because of the VAT rate increase, given that he didn't cut the prices when the rate was reduced to 9% a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Imhof Tank wrote: »

Joan Freeman claims she didn't know of the Iona Institute until the recent referendum, in spite of the fact that her niece was a prominent spokespeople for said 'institute' in the recent referendum campaign(s)

https://twitter.com/newsworthy_ie/status/1036902002654150656

Now, even if you take that at face value, she sits (I believe vice-chair) on the Oireachtas Committee on Children and Youth Affairs, they took submissions from the Iona Institute in Feb 2017, so she's either derelict in the duty of her role, or being economical with the truth, either of which should warrant further scrutiny.

And that's before we get to her errors of judgement regarding the people she's taking loans from. Would you like to see a president start their term 120k in hock to the president of a company like Herbalife?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

Got stuck listening to 20 mins this morning.
    How is Paul Williams still here!! How do people listen to him and to his constant out of context and innappropriate comments.

This morning he was basically bullying Michael Darcy to repeat a comment he made about planning objections. He became quite overly obnoxious when he could not get him to repeat it and then let out a massive " Bullshot " when he could not get his way. Instantly my 2 kids said why is he cursing.

Shane also said "*Shhite" when talking about the budget.

This show used to be amazing with Chris and Ivan, now it really is gutter journalism and I honestly do not know anyone who could tolerate this every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Joan Freeman claims she didn't know of the Iona Institute until the recent referendum, in spite of the fact that her niece was a prominent spokespeople for said 'institute' in the recent referendum campaign(s)

https://twitter.com/newsworthy_ie/status/1036902002654150656

Now, even if you take that at face value, she sits (I believe vice-chair) on the Oireachtas Committee on Children and Youth Affairs, they took submissions from the Iona Institute in Feb 2017, so she's either derelict in the duty of her role, or being economical with the truth, either of which should warrant further scrutiny.

And that's before we get to her errors of judgement regarding the people she's taking loans from. Would you like to see a president start their term 120k in hock to the president of a company like Herbalife?

Right so pretty clear from that where you stand, but the question was whether the media have turned on her specifically because of this, (as claimed by Shane Coleman)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Paul getting up on his his realtively short high horse this morning about gaa violence.

He really found his clueless outrage hook when he stumbled onto a text saying players were aggressive due to weights and drugs.

Below is a rough quote

Paul - "thats right they are all hopped up on drugs and steroids, do the gaa do drug testing? no of course they dont."

Shane - "ehh yes they do"

I couldnt listen to anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The GAA guy tried to blame the UFC on the decades long problem of brawls on the field :pac:

The GAA guy tried to blame the UFC on the decades long problem of brawls on the field :pac:

Yeah that was just absurd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭Horse84

Will the findings of the disclosures tribunal and the condemning of callinan and Garda management be discussed in the morning? Charleton completely slates the former Garda press officer and ‘some journalists’ that he briefed and we all know who he is on about....

Horse84 wrote: »
    Will the findings of the disclosures tribunal and the condemning of callinan and Garda management be discussed in the morning? Charleton completely slates the former Garda press officer and ‘some journalists’ that he briefed and we all know who he is on about....

Gonna be very interesting to see which way he plays the victim card tomorrow

Did Williams mention anything about the Tribunal findings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Yes - briefly at about 7.15. Just to say he was glad his testimony was found to be true & accurate and that, given he gave evidence, it was his decision not to talk about the tribunal until findings made.

• Advertisement

Did Williams mention anything about the Tribunal findings?

That was it?? An absolutely massive story and that is what was covered on Newstalk’s flagship breakfast current affairs show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Horse84 wrote: »
    That was it?? An absolutely massive story and that is what was covered on Newstalk’s flagship breakfast current affairs show?

Andrea covered it as the main topic, she had someone on to summarize it.

After that Paul gave his 2 cents.

amcalester wrote: »
    Andrea covered it as the main topic, she had someone on to summarize it.

After that Paul gave his 2 cents.

So the self confessed nations premier crime journalist/criminologist and Garda shill supremo had that to say about the findings of one of the most important justice and policing tribunals in a generation? Ladies and gentlemen I give u Paul Williams!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I'd say he was deliberately kept away from the story, having been a somewhat active participant in it.

I'd say he was deliberately kept away from the story, having been a somewhat active participant in it.

And the producers likely know full well he wouldn't be able to stop from running his mouth off and getting them into all kinds of legal trouble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

his input after Andrea finished didn't seem like it was something that was expected, more him butting in to say how great he was, before going to break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Yep - he was an integral part of the disgusting attempt to destroy Maurice McCabe by Gardai at the highest levels.

Despicable person, a 'journalist' in name only, and an amateur and completely tone-deaf broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Paul William's is a buffoon, he's a gutter journalist who's based his whole career off name dropping Veronica Guerin at every turn and who ever in Newstalk management thought putting him on air was a good idea should be getting their P45 along with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

redbuck wrote: »
    Paul William's is a buffoon, he's a gutter journalist who's based his whole career off name dropping Veronica Guerin at every turn and who ever in Newstalk management thought putting him on air was a good idea should be getting their P45 along with him.

Ooooh mm:eek:

Lot of anger there.

Lot of anger there.
    Hard to argue with any of it TBF :pac:

Lot of anger there.

His interview with Joan Burton Friday was breaking point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Shane actually sounds close to breaking point this morning with Paul.

Paul's absolute cluelessness over Netflix this morning was just mind numbing. Claiming Netflix will put the BBC out of business..... the BBC who receive a license fee that is mandatory for everyone to pay.

Then claiming they have a monopoly on the streaming market.... hulu, amazon prime, HBO(US only), the new Marvel streaming service, to name literally a tiny few of the other options out there.
    I wouldnt actually expect him to be aware of all the options but is it too much to ask for a presenter who might ask themselves the question whether he was informed on a certain topic enough to be discussing it in such wide sweeping statements?

Finally he started bemoaning the fact that "TV will die!!!" as if it was a bad thing.

The man is a dinosaur.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

I remember listening to Sarah McInerney and not being much of a fan but I’ve heard bits of her on RTÉ radio 1 and she is a lot more competent doing the serious stuff and leaving out the banter. She is leaps and bounds ahead of Williams and she got the chop, what has him still in a job. It’s a total mystery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

I thought that too. Williams was more belligerent than usual and Coleman sounded properly annoyed with him during any interactions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

sightband wrote: »
    I remember listening to Sarah McInerney and not being much of a fan but I’ve heard bits of her on RTÉ radio 1 and she is a lot more competent doing the serious stuff and leaving out the banter. She is leaps and bounds ahead of Williams and she got the chop, what has him still in a job. It’s a total mystery.

I'd say Newstalk are disappointed the whole Kinahin and Hutch feud has gone quiet as Williams could give us the benefit of his "expertise" . And tell us their nicknames.

Another thing I've noticed he does is just before he thanks a guest near the end of an interview he will make a smart remark at their expense giving them no time to reply.

Almost as funny is Coleman butting in on Quinlans sports updates to hurry him along. Granted he talks really slow and you don't get any insight from him but it's kinda rude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Shane Coleman touched on some of the details of the Jamal Khashoggi murder this morning, didn't go into all the gruesome detail.

First thing out of Williams mouth: Condemnation? Concerns for the press? Questions on how/if the Saudi's will be dealt with?
    No, ghoulish as ever, he wanted to know what they did with the body. There's something wrong with that lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

I listen to at least some of the show most days and I've learned to tune out Williams ****e but to be honest Shane is starting to irritate me more than Williams. His constant PC agenda is bad enough (he compared Peter Casey to Donald Trump this morning because of his traveller comments) but his constantly disagreeing with almost every view expressed on the show by experts or by texters is annoying. He's starting to sound like Darcy did before he went to Radio 1........don't agree with you texter / expert but what do I know maybe (:rolleyes:) I'm wrong....let us know what you think listener on 53106 for a cost of 30 cents (so I can disagree with the next batch of texts).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Newstalk Presenter Supports Underage Drinking

Got that Ciaran Cuddihy is some dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Shane Coleman touched on some of the details of the Jamal Khashoggi murder this morning, didn't go into all the gruesome detail.

First thing out of Williams mouth: Condemnation? Concerns for the press? Questions on how/if the Saudi's will be dealt with?
    No, ghoulish as ever, he wanted to know what they did with the body. There's something wrong with that lad.

Sounds like Joe Duffy - itis....

"Tell me about the paaaaiiinn" :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Uncharted wrote: »
    Sounds like Joe Duffy - itis....

"Tell me about the paaaaiiinn" :(

Can you describe de dismemberment of de cold, lifeless carcass of de deceased, and tell me how wood it be disposed of and dat so to speak?

Shane nearly tore pauls head off this morning after paul tried to stir some crap about shane being against free hospital parking. Was just after the news at 7:30 if you want to listen.

Its also becoming quite disturbing listening to paul ejaculate in his pants everytime he reads out a text that agrees with whatever neanderthal view he has taken on a topic

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Shanes going up in my estimation daily, not sure if its pity for him having to deal with Paul!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

VinLieger wrote: »
    Shane nearly tore pauls head off this morning after paul tried to stir some crap about shane being against free hospital parking. Was just after the news at 7:30 if you want to listen.

Its also becoming quite disturbing listening to paul ejaculate in his pants everytime he reads out a text that agrees with whatever neanderthal view he has taken on a topic

Heard that this morning. It's so obvious to people listening now that they don't get on. They are both painful to listen to for different reasons. I always end up switching over when they start

• Advertisement

That was priceless he really got under Coleman's skin.

I think after 8am Coleman finally snapped and said enough when Williams started reading out the texts again.

Newstalk breakfast down 5000 listeners in latest jnlr, fingers crossed this is the start of the downward trend for Paul and Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

OMG !! Dream team of Paul Williams and Susan Keogh this morning lol !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Basically, anyone want to do this slot this morning..?? tumbleweed....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Who did Susan Keogh piss off to get this?

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

Newstalk breakfast down 5000 listeners in latest jnlr, fingers crossed this is the start of the downward trend for Paul and Shane

that's great, here's hoping he is off the radio, sooner rather than later.

would i miss his constant interruptions, and his "ah, ah, ah , ah ah, " mumbling.... i think id survive. :)

• Advertisement

Paull pissing off Vincent again this morning with his pathetic attempts to try get Vincent to say the market simply correcting itself was indicating an impending recession

• Registered Users Posts: 4 GuestGuset

Newstalk just announced that Paul Williams is leaving, last day tommorow.

"Paul Williams has announced that he has decided to step down as co-anchor of the Newstalk Breakfast programme.

Paul Williams said: "After more than two years being part of the country's morning commute, I recently made the tough decision to leave Newstalk Breakfast.

"It has been a great experience and I want to thank the team for producing such a great show.

"I thoroughly enjoyed my time and will miss it, although I will not miss the early alarm clock calls."

Paul will continue to write newspaper columns and books, whilst also presenting and producing TV programmes and being a regular contributor to Newstalk shows.

Patricia Monahan, managing editor of Newstalk, said: "I would like to sincerely thank Paul for his contribution to the station over the last two years and wish him the very best in the future."

Paul will present his last show on Friday November 9th, and Newstalk will announce his replacement in due course."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,745 ✭✭✭Floppybits

GuestGuset wrote: »
    Newstalk just announced that Paul Williams is leaving, last day tommorow.

"Paul Williams has announced that he has decided to step down as co-anchor of the Newstalk Breakfast programme.

Paul Williams said: "After more than two years being part of the country's morning commute, I recently made the tough decision to leave Newstalk Breakfast.

"It has been a great experience and I want to thank the team for producing such a great show.

"I thoroughly enjoyed my time and will miss it, although I will not miss the early alarm clock calls."

Paul will continue to write newspaper columns and books, whilst also presenting and producing TV programmes and being a regular contributor to Newstalk shows.

Patricia Monahan, managing editor of Newstalk, said: "I would like to sincerely thank Paul for his contribution to the station over the last two years and wish him the very best in the future."

Paul will present his last show on Friday November 9th, and Newstalk will announce his replacement in due course."

Jaysus no hanging around there.

Woop woop, would love to know the cause

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Woop woop, would love to know the cause

Possibly latest JNLR figures?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement