Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk - Breakfast Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭dball

Hallelujah

(Hebrew: הללויה‎, Hallalu-yah) is a Hebrew word meaning "Praise ye, Yah", translated using Hebrew's plural imperative form of you (in English being "ye") and the shortened form of Yahweh in Hebrew "Yah" ("Praise you, Jehovah").

Hallelujah with the variation Alleluia may also refer to:

Alleluia, a variation of the word used in Christian liturgical context

great news, can start listening again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭bot43

Ding Dong the witch is dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

That's too sudden and too short a notice period to not be suspicious.

He was at his stupid, irritating best this morning and Coleman wasn't having any of it. They were talking about no event to turn on the Christmas Lights due to Health & Safety reasons; and Williams passed some smart comment about the World Cup '90 celebrations and there was X number of people on the streets and it was all fine and dandy. Coleman jumped in and cut him off very quickly and stated that many of the players themselves talked about how dangerous it is. Williams tutted (I think), but I'm guessing there was a word from a producer as he stopped the petulance there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Definitely the best news iv had all day.

I might (hopefully) be able to drive to work without veins bulging from my forehead shouting like a lunatic at the radio in the jeep.

Please please let his replacement be good.

Bye bye Williams,you odious little man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,397 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Passenger wrote: »
    Possibly latest JNLR figures?

I dunno, they only dropped by 5k which other shows have done previously and presenters havent been axed

VinLieger wrote: »
    Newstalk breakfast down 5000 listeners in latest jnlr, fingers crossed this is the start of the downward trend for Paul and Shane

Hmmmm....... The harbinger of doom it seems :pac:

Nice one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

There was some real edge between himself and Shane Coleman this morning. Basically whatever side Paul Williams took, Coleman was the complete opposite. Xmas lights, doctors at Xmas. I remember thinking, I'd love to go in there and batter the crap outta the two of them. This will do for the moment though.. it's a long time since the days of Claire Byrne and ger Gilroy were on for breakfast...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

UsBus wrote: »
    There was some real edge between himself and Shane Coleman this morning. Basically whatever side Paul Williams took, Coleman was the complete opposite. Xmas lights, doctors at Xmas. I remember thinking, I'd love to go in there and batter the crap outta the two of them. This will do for the moment though.. it's a long time since the days of Claire Byrne and ger Gilroy were on for breakfast...

Did I hear a dig from Pat at the end of the show today as well? Something about the highlight of the show being him saying goodbye? I was only half listening so could have picked it up wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

VinLieger wrote: »
    I dunno, they only dropped by 5k which other shows have done previously and presenters havent been axed

Maybe NT's managing editor is subscribed to this thread then. 😄

It would be great if they could come up with some relaxed easy listening program for the morning. It's so irritating trying to listen to those two nitpicking at each other constantly. Both have to express their opinion on everything and disagree with the other. Coleman needs to go as well, he's a complete PC dose to listen to..

• Advertisement

That's too sudden and too short a notice period to not be suspicious.

He was at his stupid, irritating best this morning and Coleman wasn't having any of it. They were talking about no event to turn on the Christmas Lights due to Health & Safety reasons; and Williams passed some smart comment about the World Cup '90 celebrations and there was X number of people on the streets and it was all fine and dandy. Coleman jumped in and cut him off very quickly and stated that many of the players themselves talked about how dangerous it is. Williams tutted (I think), but I'm guessing there was a word from a producer as he stopped the petulance there.

Funnily enough even though I am no fan of Paul Williams I think Shane Coleman is really difficult to listen to at the moment. He contradicts PW on just about everything and seems increasingly narky. I know I know..... Paul Williams is like your annoying little brother who wont shut up but I've been surprised lately just how narky Shane is. In fact I was going to post that (until I heard the news!) that Shane had nearly become the worst of the two of them!

I wonder what happened, whatever it hasn't improved Shane Coleman's mood at all! You'd think he could even fake "affection" for the last day or two. :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

He has to be leaving on bad terms if it's only a days notice.

Himself and Shane were doing some bickering this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Please may Chris Donohue not return to replace him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Floppybits

UsBus wrote: »
    It would be great if they could come up with some relaxed easy listening program for the morning. It's so irritating trying to listen to those two nitpicking at each other constantly. Both have to express their opinion on everything and disagree with the other. Coleman needs to go as well, he's a complete PC dose to listen to..

I find I scream more at Coleman and his preachy PC ways than I did at Williams. Can't take the 2 of them seriously. If they get another prechy PC person as well as Coleman then the show will be barely tolerable.

As tomorrow is Williams last day I wonder will he go to town on Coleman and we could have a Coleman meltdown tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

Uncharted wrote: »
    Please please let his replacement be good.

It'll be a woman of the very PC/feminist type. Ciara Kelly maybe :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

redbuck wrote: »
    Please may Chris Donohue not return to replace him.

What's he up to these days anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

Passenger wrote: »
    What's he up to these days anyway?

Special advisor to Simon Coveney...the bland taking to the bland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

jay0109 wrote: »

Hopefully Andrea Gilligan. NT missed their chance overlooking her for the lunchtime gig instead of Ciara Kelly. any time she's been covering for her, she's been excellent, very professional. giving her the 6am slot was a very poor consolation prize.

Floppybits wrote: »
    I find I scream more at Coleman and his preachy PC ways than I did at Williams. Can't take the 2 of them seriously. If they get another prechy PC person as well as Coleman then the show will be barely tolerable.

As tomorrow is Williams last day I wonder will he go to town on Coleman and we could have a Coleman meltdown tomorrow?

:D:D I read that post so quickly I thought it said "go down" !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Special advisor to Simon Coveney...the bland taking to the bland

One of the best performing politicians, between the UK and Ireland, at the moment.

Hopefully Andrea Gilligan. NT missed their chance overlooking her for the lunchtime gig instead of Ciara Kelly. any time she's been covering for her, she's been excellent, very professional. giving her the 6am slot was a very poor consolation prize.

This. +1

....and all that good stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

GuestGuset wrote: »
    Newstalk just announced that Paul Williams is leaving, last day tommorow.

"Paul Williams has announced that he has decided to step down as co-anchor of the Newstalk Breakfast programme.

Paul Williams said: "After more than two years being part of the country's morning commute, I recently made the tough decision to leave Newstalk Breakfast.

"It has been a great experience and I want to thank the team for producing such a great show.

"I thoroughly enjoyed my time and will miss it, although I will not miss the early alarm clock calls."

Paul will continue to write newspaper columns and books, whilst also presenting and producing TV programmes and being a regular contributor to Newstalk shows.

Patricia Monahan, managing editor of Newstalk, said: "I would like to sincerely thank Paul for his contribution to the station over the last two years and wish him the very best in the future."

Paul will present his last show on Friday November 9th, and Newstalk will announce his replacement in due course."

Great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Is no one going to chime in on Williams' side? Highlight some of the things he's good at, some of the positives he brought to the show?

Anybody?

No, me neither.

People are saying it must have been something serious to have such short notice. I don't think stations ever announce these things too far in advance. I'd say it was nothing more that his consistent poor performance.

As for a replacement I'd say Andrea Gilligan. She's already in the show's photo, a quick crop to remove Williams and they're done.

235365_151_pages_01_5_740x500.jpg

Hurrache wrote: »
    One of the best performing politicians, between the UK and Ireland, at the moment.

Exactly, he's the taoiseach in waiting I think. Varadkar is a complete spoofer, nothing of substance. Coveney should have got the job originally but we had to give it to the PC choice..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Dick Swiveller

Shane Coleman must be the happiest man in Ireland at the moment. I haven't listened to the programme for months because of Williams. I hope they don't replace him with another obnoxious loudmouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Great news. Might turn the dial back now. Wouldn’t be devastated if Coleman goes but wonder would he be better with someone else beside instead of Williams.
    Wonder is Vincent Wall ever considered, always found him easy to listen to for the business segment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

Very harsh voice at any time but in that slot it please no

Well I think Alan Quinlan has been so good on sport rugby Munster Rugby they should give it to him., I'd imagine his grasp of politics and current affairs is at least as good as his knowledge of soccerball.......:pac:

Stoolcup wrote: »
    Shane Coleman must be the happiest man in Ireland at the moment. I haven't listened to the programme for months because of Williams. I hope they don't replace him with another obnoxious loudmouth.

He didn't sound it this morning :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

His permanent replacement will be a woman.

The only other option is that they revert back to the (very weird) original plan of three presenters on a rotating basis.

Given they stuck with PW and AQ for so long they’re liable to do anything.

His permanent replacement will be a woman.

The only other option is that they revert back to the (very weird) original plan of three presenters on a rotating basis.

Given they stuck with PW and AQ for so long they’re liable to do anything.

You can put the house on that one.

He didn't sound it this morning :confused:

I wonder did he and Williams have a proper row after the show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Not sure I'm with some here in their dislike with Coleman, I think Williams just brought out the worst in him which is understandable.

I used to like him a lot when he was the political analyst at newstalk or when he would fill in when Chris or Ivan was off.

I think him and Andrea Gilligan would make a good team which looms likely imo.

As much as I'm against PC, I think Williams was anti PC just for the sake of it and ended up waffling more often than not.

Very harsh voice at any time but in that slot it please no

Surprised more people haven't mentioned this. Nothing against her but her voice is as rough as a builders elbow... Too harsh for first thing in the morning..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Seen the headline and nearly fell over, very short notice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

They had a couple of new stand ins recently,a boy and a gal. Can't remember their names.

Might do a rotation with Coleman as anchor.

1huge1 wrote: »
    Not sure I'm with some here in their dislike with Coleman, I think Williams just brought out the worst in him which is understandable.

I used to like him a lot when he was the political analyst at newstalk or when he would fill in when Chris or Ivan was off.

I think him and Andrea Gilligan would make a good team which looms likely imo.

As much as I'm against PC, I think Williams was anti PC just for the sake of it and ended up waffling more often than not.

I agree. Williams was getting on his nerves constantly. Coleman is a good broadcaster and is usually very calm and measured. He can be a bit prudish at times but I really like him and hope Newstalk can find a replacement that will bring out the best in him.

I think George Hook would be a good replacement...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I really like Cieran Cuddihy, could listen to him all day.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

It was be a lass. Clunge quota needs to be enforced.

Coleman is very condescending. I'm no fan of Alan Quinlan but Coleman is constantly on his heels. Its like he's trying to lead him through the sports news because he thinks Quinlan doesn't know enough about it or he's too slow for Coleman's liking..

It was be a lass. Clunge quota needs to be enforced.

Put this on a tee-shirt and you're a millionaire....
    Send one to Ciara Kelly while you're at it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Maybe they'll bring in Susan Keogh? She ticks a lot of boxes. She's female, has presented The Last Word and is a feminist, right on PC Liberal type. And she moved across from Today FM not all that long ago..

Maybe they'll bring in Susan Keogh? She ticks a lot of boxes. She's female, has presented The Last Word and is a feminist, right on PC Liberal type. And she moved across from Today FM not all that long ago..

Oh God no. I'd take Williams over her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Every time I turn on newstalk they are either on an ad break, going to an ad break, coming back from an ad break or talking about what's coming up later in the show!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Stoolcup wrote: »
    Oh God no. I'd take Williams over her.

As they say, be careful what you wish for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Every time I turn on newstalk they are either on an ad break, going to an ad break, coming back from an ad break or talking about what's coming up later in the show!

Or talking to the presenter of the next show to see what they'll be covering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

They need to hire an unemployed homeless woman to show that they are up for gender balance/equality etc. What about that woman with the really bad Dublin accent who was living in a hotel for ages, she would be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

pc7 wrote: »
    I really like Cieran Cuddihy, could listen to him all day.

Don't like him at all, as usual for a newstalk presenter his agenda is too much on show.

Too much of the same outrage and talking over people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement