Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk - Breakfast Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

telekon wrote: »
    This United Ireland debate is so terribly contrived. As usual, ciaran takes one view, Shane the other. I bet the producer tossed a coin at the pre show meeting this morning to who would get the pro United ireland view. Ciaran lost.
    I didn't hear it, but journalists interviewing other people usually act as devil's advocate, putting the other point of view. They could often be saying something they don't personally believe. Though, you'd hope they would be doing it in a dispassionate kind of way, if it's not their personal belief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

The opposing views is a bit contrived ok, Andrea Gilligan gets involved too. Its a light enough show, Morning Ireland is too serious, got bored listening to Ian Dempsey and Nova with Colm and Lucy **shudder**.
    They could rename the show 53106 at a cost of 30 cent as thats what you keep hearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

huh, and there was me thinking people were whinging for the last year about both of them having the same PC, liberal, lefty views on everything and how there was need for opposing viewpoints as "balance" :confused: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

huh, and there was me thinking people were whinging for the last year about both of them having the same PC, liberal, lefty views on everything and how there was need for opposing viewpoints as "balance" :confused: :rolleyes:

The opposing views is one thing. The tabloid nature of the topics is quite another. 10 minutes this morning giving out about film remakes. The sports coverage is brutal too. No wonder lisnters are dropping.

Newstalk...more like ****e talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

tototoe wrote: »
    The opposing views is one thing. The tabloid nature of the topics is quite another. 10 minutes this morning giving out about film remakes. The sports coverage is brutal too. No wonder lisnters are dropping.

Newstalk...more like ****e talk.

#Move the dial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

How much are those 2 on salary wise?

Fann Linn wrote: »
    #Move the dial.

Not always my choice unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Yesterday a prime example going on about a united Ireland. Ireland's call as the anthem, Arlene as tanaiste etc....

I thought this statement was particularly sinister as well, presenting Arlene Foster (who is pro life and anti gay marriage) as the bad person. Not that I agree with Arlene Foster on much, but essentially to NT if you're not a liberal and not in complete agreement with the "progressive" views of the station = you are a bad person and we are entitled to sneer at you.

I thought this statement was particularly sinister as well, presenting Arlene Foster (who is pro life and anti gay marriage) as the bad person. Not that I agree with Arlene Foster on much, but essentially to NT if you're not a liberal and not in complete agreement with the "progressive" views of the station = you are a bad person and we are entitled to sneer at you.

Coleman does come across as a de-balled feminist right on liberal leftie dweeb. He’s painful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Arlene Foster is prepared to go against all Northern Irish economic interests (and republic's) just to be more Britsh than most ardent tory brexiteers and you think her pro life anti gay views are why people are sneering at her. That more points to your own frustrations than anything else.

I thought the comment about Arlene Foster was funny. There was nothing wrong with that particular discussion. Sometimes the disagreements come accross as manufactured but in that case I think they really do have different views.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I only occasionally flick over to NT Breakfast these days and every time I end up thinking the same thing to myself... Isn't Shane Coleman just the most beige man on radio?

meeeeh wrote: »
    Arlene Foster is prepared to go against all Northern Irish economic interests (and republic's) just to be more Britsh than most ardent tory brexiteers and you think her pro life anti gay views are why people are sneering at her. That more points to your own frustrations than anything else.

The point is that any person that does not agree with all of their liberal views put on their "bad list" and then becomes the butt of their jokes. They would never make a similar "joke" about somebody who they will politically or morally aligned with.

I noticed they both took the same side of the argument yesterday on the Irish language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Todays discussion...should the Orange order be allowed to march in Dublin. Shane says no, Ciaran says yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Murt10

I've moved the dial. All the way over to LBC in the UK.

Newstalk and Today FM have gone to hell in a handcart IMO. I still tune into RTE 1, mainly for the news and only listen to Newstalk to hear Pat Kenny.

LBC is a major UK talk radio station and you can even get it in the car on the mobile, which is a relief.

LBC presenters include Nigel Firage, Jacob Reese Mogg, both guaranteed to get the blood pressure rising. But on the other hand have James O'Brien presenting for the remain side and he's excellent. However, he's just gone on leave.

They also have a catch up service, as soon as a programme is over you can listen to it again from the start.

Here's a link to the station.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/

I think one of them drew the short straw this morning when the issue of the UK's new strict advertising standards code came up and the ASA banned an ad which depicted two Dads who "were incapable of caring for children and would put them at risk as a result of their incompetence". I think it was Cuddihy who got the job of defending the ban.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/aug/14/first-ads-banned-for-contravening-gender-stereotyping-rules

Turned on this morning to hear these two panto dames and their faux argument again. What are Newstalk doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

What are Newstalk doing?

Losing listeners I'd say. I always listened to the breakfast show until this current duo. I even put up with Williams but cannot stand these two.

Azatadine wrote: »
    Losing listeners I'd say. I always listened to the breakfast show until this current duo. I even put up with Williams but cannot stand these two.

They really are truly awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Susan Keogh is popping up everywhere on newstalk at the moment. She must be mad for the overtime.. But her voice would grate the skin off you. "Let me know your opinion, text me, tweet me......" because I'm the most vacuous person on radio and have no substance to be able to talk about anything of interest.

Newstalk theme now is to hire all these pc characters who offer nothing but bland statements to ensure nobody can get in any way offended..

I switch on every now and again, but lbc is much more enjoyable listening to people who can hold an informed discussion on a range of topics, not just what the latest PC outrage topic is..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Acosta

They really are truly awful.

Right Wing Breakfast

Guy I work with insists on putting them on. I find something else to do beyond earshot of the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I can't listen to the two of them any more. The constant moaning and arguing, at least when Williams was on there was a humour value. I am going to have to find some UK program to listen to in the morning because I cannot cope. Morning Ireland is too boring so I can't switch there either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

UsBus wrote: »
    Susan Keogh is popping up everywhere on newstalk at the moment. She must be mad for the overtime.. But her voice would grate the skin off you. "Let me know your opinion, text me, tweet me......" because I'm the most vacuous person on radio and have no substance to be able to talk about anything of interest.

Newstalk theme now is to hire all these pc characters who offer nothing but bland statements to ensure nobody can get in any way offended..

I switch on every now and again, but lbc is much more enjoyable listening to people who can hold an informed discussion on a range of topics, not just what the latest PC outrage topic is..

True ,
    Brenda Power used to cause issues ringing Tds etc on air and stirring things up , she got replaced with the master of banal Tom Dunne shortly after

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I genuinely think there's a lot of people in this thread suffering from Stockholm Syndrome. Paul Williams was an absolute disgrace. Incompetent in the role he was in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭fire_man

Have they ever agreed on a topic they discuss.Very tiresome at this stage.Can they give the sports news without the 3 of getting involved.Have tuned in elsewhere.

• Advertisement

fire_man wrote: »
    Have they ever agreed on a topic they discuss.Very tiresome at this stage.Can they give the sports news without the 3 of getting involved.Have tuned in elsewhere.
    Yes, many times. One example is even highlighted further up this page.

Just quoting this for truth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

Mark Bleedin Cagney!! Give me strength.

What is happening, I thought you were messing but I've just tuned in to the live broadcast. Is this temporary? Surely if Paul Williams didnt work in the slot, then it would only make sense to assume that Cagney will not work either. They are sort of similar, no?

Are we losing the dream team, Coleman and Cuddihy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I heard that whilst I was flicking and assumed he was a guest (I didn’t listen long enough to find out he was the host). Did they announce him as a new host, or as covering for someone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

He is only a guest covering for Coleman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Prefer him to Gilligan in fairness.

Might not be a bad fill in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

kneemos wrote: »

Cagney in for Coleman all week.

kneemos wrote: »

That Gilligan wan has a voice for silent movies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Is this temporary? Surely if Paul Williams didnt work in the slot, then it would only make sense to assume that Cagney will not work either. They are sort of similar, no?

As similar as two completely dissimilar things in a pod

0192c6468d397419d6f3b62f6338b3bbbe336c3e.jpg

Cagney is on with Farcy now. He was talking about the time TV3 were digging at RTÉ fees and Farcy dropped in a not so subtle “well I wasn’t here then”. :pac::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

Uncharted wrote: »
    Cagney in for Coleman all week.

He has a real whiff of Paul Williams about him, trying hard to be your da on steroids.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

BillyBird wrote: »
    He has a real whiff of Paul Williams about him, trying hard to be your da on steroids.
    ya, the last thing we need is Paul Williams 2.0 ruining the airwaves again. not sure whos making the calls in newstalk, but they need to take a look at them selves...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I don't know if its almost a form of Stockholm Syndrome at this stage, but I'm not minding Cagney in the mornings. I hated him on tv but he's not doing too bad on the radio slot.

I'm actually thinking it might be worth leaving Cagney in the studio, just to see if he ends up hitting Cuddihy. A sort of social experiment.

• Advertisement

A week without Coleman is a good thing, Cagney or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I've listened to Cagney for the last few days and he seems to have quickly adopted the trend of Newstalk presenters using what purports to be a news/current affairs program as an opportunity to regale us with their own opinions on whatever is in the news.

BillyBird wrote: »

Pretty astute observation there BillyBird to be fair. He even sounds like Williams at times.

Pretty astute observation there BillyBird to be fair. He even sounds like Williams at times.

on the first morning I heard him, I honestly thought it was Williams again.
    Same happened yesterday when I woke up, took me a couple of minutes to remember that it was Cagney :o:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Akabusi

on the first morning I heard him, I honestly thought it was Williams again.
    Same happened yesterday when I woke up, took me a couple of minutes to remember that it was Cagney :o:pac:

More worryingly the bosses there are obviously not steering there presenters away from this type of hosting and would actually seem to be encouraging it. Cagney is only going to be there a week so that's a positive but Cuddihy long ago became intolerable to listen to. I so miss Ivan and Chris in the morning, the balance was just right between serious and lighter stuff. The show gets worse with every change they made since then.

"Quinny" on the rugby at 7:25 sports news this morning:

Quinny: Yeah well ya know some of the players didn't perform up to their usual standards
    Coleman: Should some of them be dropped?
    Quinny: I don't think so, no, they deserve a chance to redeem themselves.

8:25 sports news:
    Coleman: There's a bang of 2007 off this team Quinny, should we be worried?
    Quinny: Yeah well ya know I think Joe needs to make lots of changes, freshen it up, give some of the new faces a chance.

:rolleyes:

This aside from Coleman leading the whole segment. Honestly if you tuned in for the first time you'd think Coleman was the Sports Reporter and Quinny was just some randomer having a chat with him. It's so bad it's almost good for comedy value alone - and yes, I did tune in deliberately to hear how bad his take(s) would be on the game.

Any time I hear Quinny on with Coleman, it almost feels like Quinny is getting media training. Coleman spoonfeeding him every line, trying to get him to appear enthusiastic about anything at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

I've wondered if Quinny has a behind the scenes role as well, does he research or whatever because there could be no way that his job is reading the sports news for 10 minutes a day between the 730 and 830 slots. His delivery is so unenthused and flat. What would a fella even be paid for less than an hour of air time over 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭monstermag

I switched over to morning Ireland during the week just to see how they were covering Brexit, l found the style of reporting much calmer and less opinated, more balanced, less snearing. Whereby newstalk breakfast coverage is in my opinion borderline hysterical.

• Advertisement

I've wondered if Quinny has a behind the scenes role as well, does he research or whatever because there could be no way that his job is reading the sports news for 10 minutes a day between the 730 and 830 slots. His delivery is so unenthused and flat. What would a fella even be paid for less than an hour of air time over 5 days.

Not a chance. Would you let him do research? He’s paid to be a “name”, nothing else. He certainly doesn’t come across as the brightest fella in the world - a friend of mine (a Munster fan) says “Alan took one too many boots to the head in his playing career” when talking about him.

This morning again he was woeful. Several times he started a sentence only to change mid-sentence to a completely different point and start on another point. It’s like he has cue cards for the segment and then dropped them just as he’s about to go on air and they’re not in the correct order but he keeps going regardless and just keeps reading away. He comes across as clueless and utterly disinterested when talking about anything other than Munster Rugby.

He has such a limited vocabulary too - he uses the word “phenomenal” to describe almost every sporting moment. And the way he says “huge” (YOU-ge) is fingernails on a blackboard stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement