Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk - Breakfast Show

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

On thursday morning, their nonsense topic of the day was...your favourite pizza toppings.

Keeping the standards high Newstalk...

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

Caught the end of that interview with arch-spoofer Peter Casey. Poor lad hasn't a clue what's going on, comic highlight of the interview being his assertion that Johnson would have to do a deal with "Nigel La Forge".

tumblr_inline_plh3th5fK41rf5362_540.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Shane is an obnoxious ignorant bellend, during the discussion this morning of video games and underage children playing them i texted in stating that no studies have ever shown video games can cause violence which was read out, he talks over it saying "not true, not true".

FYI for those who don't know much about this it 100% is true.

Haven't listened to the show in a while but every time i do i remember why i shouldn't, cannot stand his narcissistic arrogance. He's verging on Norah Casey levels of what he decides he's an expert in after reading a headline.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Shane is an obnoxious ignorant bellend, during the discussion this morning of video games and underage children playing them i texted in stating that no studies have ever shown video games can cause violence which was read out, he talks over it saying "not true, not true".

FYI for those who don't know much about this it 100% is true.

Haven't listened to the show in a while but every time i do i remember why i shouldn't, cannot stand his narcissistic arrogance. He's verging on Norah Casey levels of what he decides he's an expert in after reading a headline.

He sees himself as an expert on absolutely bloody everything. He is so dismissive of anything he doesn't agree with. Awful presenter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

Oh boy, the twins were in overdrive this morning!

The comments from Michael Collins TD about asylum seekers and 'looking after our own first' had the 2 of them in meltdown. Woe betide any listener, after being encouraged to comment on the topic, that didn't agree with the 2 of them.

They used every cliché in the book....Irish people went abroad illegally, some of those protesting in Oughterrard are doing it for racist reasons, asylum seekers coming here from war torn countries, immigrants here are more likely to be in work.

Their way or the highway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

tototoe wrote: »
    He sees himself as an expert on absolutely bloody everything. He is so dismissive of anything he doesn't agree with. Awful presenter.

He has to argue with literally everything. Questions every guest like he is Jeremy Paxman even when they are being straightforward. So rude to guests. It is painful to listen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

jay0109 wrote: »

They used every cliché in the book....Irish people went abroad illegally, some of those protesting in Oughterrard are doing it for racist reasons, asylum seekers coming here from war torn countries, immigrants here are more likely to be in work.

Their way or the highway

I flicked on just after 7.00. They would infuriate you with their leftie rants.. The two of them are some string of misery, politically correct on steroids. They are so out of touch with public opinion on dumping a couple of hundred immigrants on a little community. It's a pathetic plan by government just to meet an EU target they committed to.
    This pair of clowns call it racism to push their liberal agenda out there. Call it what you want but there is no way a thousand people are going to stand by and watch their community ruined by a couple of hundred spongers who are here to milk the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

UsBus wrote: »
    I flicked on just after 7.00. They would infuriate you with their leftie rants.. The two of them are some string of misery, politically correct on steroids. They are so out of touch with public opinion on dumping a couple of hundred immigrants on a little community. It's a pathetic plan by government just to meet an EU target they committed to.
    This pair of clowns call it racism to push their liberal agenda out there. Call it what you want but there is no way a thousand people are going to stand by and watch their community ruined by a couple of hundred spongers who are here to milk the system.

Or trying to escape a war torn country where they've probably had half their families killed?

jay0109 wrote: »

The comments from Michael Collins TD about asylum seekers and 'looking after our own first' had the 2 of them in meltdown. Woe betide any listener, after being encouraged to comment on the topic, that didn't agree with the 2 of them.

Their way or the highway

They really are obnoxious. Williams was woeful, for different reasons. When they got rid of him, coleman should have been dumped as well. Its shocking how bad this show is now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

redbuck wrote: »
    Or trying to escape a war torn country where they've probably had half their families killed?

Like Georgia and Albania :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Thought Cuddihy's interview with Michael Collins this morning was a disgrace. I disagree strongly with Collins and he was spouting a lot of populist rhetoric but Cuddihy's tone and questioning was strongly influenced by his own personal opinion and as a result, he shoved the argument down a lot of rabbit holes and lost sight of the big issue. It was amateurish.

Then Coleman really stuck his chin out for a wallop with Jim O'Callaghan. His question about Michael D couldn't have been any more loaded but made a massive assumption that O'Callaghan shot down in flames. I was shocked that a fella as experienced as Coleman went all in on the first question when O'Callaghan had such an easy out.

I like both presenters but this morning was them at their very worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

DeanAustin wrote: »
    I like both presenters but this morning was them at their very worst.

I don't think I've ever hated a presenter more than I hate Cuddihy. I just cannot listen to the show at all when he is on it. Coleman is actually alright, but he really needs somebody who is a bit edgy.

And no that is not me calling for Paul Williams to come back !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

I don't think I've ever hated a presenter more than I hate Cuddihy. I just cannot listen to the show at all when he is on it. Coleman is actually alright, but he really needs somebody who is a bit edgy.

Williams wasn’t even edgy, he was just a bit thick and uninformed.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Wonder will they pick up Mark Cagney and replace one of the boyos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Hearing the two woke SJWs sneer at Justin Trudeau this morning was hilarious given their own lack of self-awareness and clear failure to understand the definition of the words irony and hypocrisy.

Coleman definitely the more painful of the two for me....but they are both awful . Turned it off this morning and watched Netflix instead. Think I'm nearly done with breakfast radio. The options are very limited.

pc7 wrote: »
    Wonder will they pick up Mark Cagney and replace one of the boyos
    I'd say Cagney has had enough of getting up at ridiculous o'clock. He mentioned yesterday that he used to wake up at 0245 to prep for Ireland AM. For 20 years? Bonkers.

tototoe wrote: »
    Coleman definitely the more painful of the two for me....but they are both awful . Turned it off this morning and watched Netflix instead. Think I'm nearly done with breakfast radio. The options are very limited.

Yep, the last thing you want first thing in the morning is to start your day being lectured to by the likes of these two morons..put you in bad form driving into work hearing Coleman's pc opinion on everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭TheFortField

I just can’t cope with Cuddihy or Coleman anymore - their daily lectures and over the top PC nonsense is just beyond painful at this stage. I thought Cagney was decent enough when he filled in, I enjoyed his spat with Edwina Currie.

I like Vincent Wall on Breakfast Business, does anybody else like Wall or am I in a minority of one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭KildareP

I just can’t cope with Cuddihy or Coleman anymore - their daily lectures and over the top PC nonsense is just beyond painful at this stage. I thought Cagney was decent enough when he filled in, I enjoyed his spat with Edwina Currie.

I like Vincent Wall on Breakfast Business, does anybody else like Wall or am I in a minority of one :D
    Fellow fan!

Normally listen on the 6am to 7am slot these days for news (not views) then Breakfast Business.

Straight off at 7am to another station, might flip back at 9AM to see what PK is discussing but other than that my Newstalk listening day is done...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Yep, the last thing you want first thing in the morning is to start your day being lectured to by the likes of these two morons..put you in bad form driving into work hearing Coleman's pc opinion on everything

This is actually an important point - it DOES actually put in you bad form, people should realise this. It's like having somebody baiting you in the passenger seat for the whole journey.

Yes, very good to listen to, complete professional on radio. I even remember when Paul Williams used to throw a cringey segway to him for business news and he was able to rescue the awkwardness every time.

Although I do wonder if Vincent does the add for O'Meara camping..??? 'Sir, you did not invent the sleeping bag..'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Yes, very good to listen to, complete professional on radio. I even remember when Paul Williams used to throw a cringey segway to him for business news and he was able to rescue the awkwardness every time.

Although I do wonder if Vincent does the add for O'Meara camping..??? 'Sir, you did not invent the sleeping bag..'

Must have a cot in the basement of Newstalk.
    He's there from early hours till evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Hoppy Jack

I’ve had enough of Bedwetter Coleman and Cuck Cuddihy at this stage. They are a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭cutelad

Has Newstalk breakfast been taken over by the green Party? Its Green agenda, punish country folk by tax tax tax. Ciaran Cuddihy a very poor presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

Dont listen much but anytime i turn over there seems to be an ad break every 2 mins. And the ads seem to go on forever.

Hoppy Jack wrote: »
    Cuck Cuddihy

I'll never understand American's fascination with this "cuck" insult? It seems so bizarrely specific. And now it appears people in Ireland are using it non-ironically? A Starbucks on every corner and we're adopting their insults now as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

I've twigged this as well, surely Vincent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

BillyBird wrote: »
    I'll never understand American's fascination with this "cuck" insult? It seems so bizarrely specific. And now it appears people in Ireland are using it non-ironically? A Starbucks on every corner and we're adopting their insults now as well.
    Only people with a particular political persuasion use that word, and they aren't confined to America, though doubtless it originated there.

https://www.gq.com/story/why-angry-white-men-love-calling-people-cucks

If one half of the countrythis forum, is calling them "cucks" and the other half is calling them "wingnuts" or similar, then they are probably doing something right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

only the alt-right, closet-nazi, knuckle-draggers so far, thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Hoppy Jack

Generally refers to an de-balled ultra liberal woke individual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i hope you're joking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i agree 100% any irish person using it is a tool

Add "woke" to the list. Are you working through some kind of bingo card?

I'm not down with the kids but do people actually speak like this in the real world?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Add "woke" to the list. Are you working through some kind of bingo card?

I'm not down with the kids but do people actually speak like this in the real world?
    Nobody speaks like this. Its just trying to use Americanisms and coming across very silly in an Irish conext

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if the final show hosted by Chris O'Donoghue and Ivan Yates is available online?

I've searched for it, and there's an article about it, whose link has expired; and part of the show is available on Newstalk, but not all of it.. It seems to have disappeared.

I remember listening to the final half-hour of the show back in 2016 (?) and laughing out loud on the way into work. There was a particularly funny bit about a phone ringing in a coffin... It's not possible to do it justice by explaining the joke.

Does anyone know if it's been saved somewhere online?

Things got a little tetchy between Cuddihy and Jeffrey Donaldson this morning. Was rather amusing at the end when Cuddihy effectively cut him off with something like "so Dublin, London and Brussels have it wrong and the DUP have it right? Ok, thanks Jeffrey".

Jeffrey Donaldson this morning.

He seems to be on a lot, but I've never understood what's in appearing on Newstalk for him. Not saying it's a bad thing that we hear voices from the other side of the border/sea but most politicians are a) busy b) use what time they have to talk to/work with their constituents. Is he bigger than all that and just wants to build bridges between communities? Am I too cynical?

He seems to be on a lot, but I've never understood what's in appearing on Newstalk for him. Not saying it's a bad thing that we hear voices from the other side of the border/sea but most politicians are a) busy b) use what time they have to talk to/work with their constituents. Is he bigger than all that and just wants to build bridges between communities? Am I too cynical?

OMG LOL! First time the words “Jeffrey Donaldson” and “build bridges between communities” have been used together! :pac:

OMG LOL! First time the words “Jeffrey Donaldson” and “build bridges between communities” have been used together! :pac:

I know, I know, so we're all agreed it is not bridge building!:)

So why does he come on the show?

• Advertisement

Things got a little tetchy between Cuddihy and Jeffrey Donaldson this morning. Was rather amusing at the end when Cuddihy effectively cut him off with something like "so Dublin, London and Brussels have it wrong and the DUP have it right? Ok, thanks Jeffrey".

Heard that, whatever about Donaldson, Cuddihy is one ignorant pr!ck of an interviewer. I think they are trying to stir controversy with their recent interviews, but it just comes across as pure and utter ignorance. Their dismissive attitude is unreal.

if you're cynical, I'm probably even more so. Because I've been wondering siimilar - Donaldson must be on RTE a few times every week. Why does a man who is a member of a party that has such thinly veiled contempt for this country so often jump at the chance to appear on various Irish broadcast media?

I think it's because the core, founding principle of hard-line NI Unionism is its contempt for ireland/notions of national or ethnic superiority, and RTE is one of the few media organisations still willing to give them a platform during peacetime. You could interpret it as trolling, or just a need to be confrontational towards Irish republicans/ people in the Republic. Without that confrontation the DUP has no identity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Hmmmm..... I would be of the opinion that Donaldson is one of the more measured members of that Party.

There is always a coldness and thinly disguised contempt when people like Sammy Wilson et al are interviewed by southern media.

Why....

Because that’s what their support base expect, lose that and you will be out of your fat salary for doing little or nothing positive.

Donaldson is far from the worst and in my opinion seems to have softened a bit in the last few years in his approach.

Just my observations.

Dave McSavage on there, apparently the perceived woke PC culture is hodling comedy back. I think the fact that he's only moderately funny is what is holding him back.

Also young comedians have nothing to give because they have no life experience.

He has literally turned into the old pub bore.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

if you're cynical, I'm probably even more so. Because I've been wondering siimilar - Donaldson must be on RTE a few times every week. Why does a man who is a member of a party that has such thinly veiled contempt for this country so often jump at the chance to appear on various Irish broadcast media?

I think it's because the core, founding principle of hard-line NI Unionism is its contempt for ireland/notions of national or ethnic superiority, and RTE is one of the few media organisations still willing to give them a platform during peacetime. You could interpret it as trolling, or just a need to be confrontational towards Irish republicans/ people in the Republic. Without that confrontation the DUP has no identity.

Is it any wonder that he is always on. RTE has a "thinly veiled contempt for this country" as expressed by it's relentless advocacy of the EU/UN multinational ,open borders agenda. They also treat us all with contempt in how they use taxpayers money to pay themselves huge wages (sometimes for only 4 hours broadcasting a week).
    Yet, they are now looking for more.
    They are a fundamentally discredited organisation.

I'm no fan of Donaldson, but Cuddihy was rude to him yesterday. Was Donaldson being a bit of a twat, yes; but Cuddihy is the host, I'd expect a more professional approach from him in dealing with Donaldson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

I'm no fan of Donaldson, but Cuddihy was rude to him yesterday. Was Donaldson being a bit of a twat, yes; but Cuddihy is the host, I'd expect a more professional approach from him in dealing with Donaldson.

Have to agree there...and was Cuddihy not wrong in what he was stating anyway so couldn't believe the way he treated him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,107 ✭✭✭✭zell12

The show wants listeners to call in and participate in ongoing news stories of the morning.
    Another Lahvlahn wannabe..

Cuddihy and Coleman at it again this morning..
    A woke stand off between the two ladyboys over whether Ireland were better than Wales.....Absolutely insufferable. I had only switched over to fill a break on another channel. Just what I needed while driving into work in the pissing rain on a Monday morning..
    Someone in Newstalk please read this and sack the both of them, liberals on outrage steroids....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Yeah, they are atrocious. I remember them having a conversation about toast one morning that went on and on until finally they put it out to the listeners.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement