Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk - Breakfast Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Phoebas wrote: »
    Yes, your ideas are a threat to us, so we organised a coordinated response.

See above.

BillyBird wrote: »
    Jaysus, you think a lot of yourself if you think anybody is coordinating a response to your posts.

You get pushback from me because I hate the idea of this American nonsense getting any foothold in Ireland. The yanks are welcome to it.

So you don't like Cuddihy either? Ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

I responded for the exact same point, American phrases such as libtard and woke should not be started over here.
    And to think that people are organising a collective attack on you.........................notions.

redmgar wrote: »
    I responded for the exact same point, American phrases such as libtard and woke should not be started over here.
    And to think that people are organising a collective attack on you.........................notions.

No notions - sorry to disappoint - it's happened before (and was confirmed by the mods), but believe what you want.

I suggested rather than stated (there is a difference you know), and I didn't use the word attack - but hey, take it completely out of context if it makes you feel better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

This thread shows up among My Threads. I always read it but only reply if I can be bothered and mostly only when I heard the segment. ( I never criticize your rugby comments because I couldn't care less about the rugby but that doesn't mean I haven't read them). I think I'm not the only person who is sick of libtard, snowflake, woke and similar nonsense. I find it especially entertaining that someone who is not afraid to sling all kind of insults at presenters suddenly becomes very sensitive to number of thanks critical post gets.

• Advertisement

3 weeks of no commentary on the Newstalk Breakfast page (which is more the norm than the exception these days) and the use of the phrase "woke SJW PC libtard" generates a slew of outrage and visits (some of the usual faces but many first timers - interesting, couldn't possibly be co-ordinated could it? :rolleyes:) from the.............well, fill in the blanks.

I needed a laugh today..Thank you!!

meeeeh wrote: »
    This thread shows up among My Threads. I always read it but only reply if I can be bothered and mostly only when I heard the segment. ( I never criticize your rugby comments because I couldn't care less about the rugby but that doesn't mean I haven't read them). I think I'm not the only person who is sick of libtard, snowflake, woke and similar nonsense. I find it especially entertaining that someone who is not afraid to sling all kind of insults at presenters suddenly becomes very sensitive to number of thanks critical post gets.
    Is it just in boards that these phrases get used or do people (in Ireland) use them in real life? A genuine question.

Is it just in boards that these phrases get used or do people (in Ireland) use them in real life? A genuine question.

I don't know. I never heard anyone saying them in real life but most people I know wouldn't be big on identity wars (one or the other side).

I don't know. I never heard anyone saying them in real life but most people I know wouldn't be big on identity wars (one or the other side).

Too busy working and getting on with things.

Lol. Not senstivtive to the number of thanks or dislikes at all, that's some leap you've made there!

• Advertisement

Yes. Used in real life by real people in Ireland. Have you ever heard Jennifer Gannon or Roe McDermott on The Last Word?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

Yes. Used in real life by real people in Ireland. Have you ever heard Jennifer Gannon or Roe McDermott on The Last Word?

They’re very woke people though

For the record, I am also "sick of libtard, snowflake, woke and similar nonsense", a fact that seems to be lost on you and others. Did it occur to you that my comments on Cuddihy weren't actually in praise of his style?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

For the record, I am also "sick of libtard, snowflake, woke and similar nonsense", a fact that seems to be lost onn you and others. Did it occur to you that my comments on Cuddihy weren't actually in praise of his style?

You're missing the point - we're sick of people (like you) using American phrases like "libtard". It's beyond juvenile.

If you've got specific issues with something on the show use your words.

You're missing the point - we're sick of people (like you) using American phrases like "libtard". It's beyond juvenile.

Wow didn’t realise Vocabulary Nazis are a thing now !

Wow didn’t realise Vocabulary Nazis are a thing now !
    I'm no angel and I'm well capable insulting others but I find word retard pretty awful to use as an insult.

Using these phrases is the same as a phrase a teenager would pick up from whatever the current version of Dawsons Creek is.
    If you used the word libtard in a social real life setting you would just get pitying glances.

I'm no angel and I'm well capable insulting others but I find word retard pretty awful to use as an insult.

So you’re happy to insult but not be insulted? Bang of woke snowflake off that tbh !

I'm no angel and I'm well capable insulting others

At last something we agree on.

Not missing the point at all.

You however are missing my two points:
    1. I was using them satirically to mock the target
    2. More importantly, believe it or not, I don't actually care what you think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Bang of woke snowflake off that tbh !
    BINGO (i was waiting on Snowflake to complete the game).

Not missing the point at all.

You however are missing my two points:
    1. I was using them satirically to mock the target
    2. More importantly, believe it or not, I don't actually care what you think

But what were you trying to satire?
    Does the host use these words such as libtard? Because if he doesn't then I'm
    not sure you know what satire means Maybe he does use them, and then you made a good point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

But what were you trying to satire?
    not sure you know what satire means Maybe he does use them, and then you made a good point.

I've never heard Cuddihy use the word libtard.

I also don't think butters knows what satire is.

I would hope not, because anyone saying these sort of American phrases out loud in an Irish accent would sound silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

I would hope not, because anyone saying these sort of American phrases out loud in an Irish accent would sound silly.

Its also incredibly lazy and usually used when someone isn't articulate enough to address the points being made.

So you’re happy to insult but not be insulted? Bang of woke snowflake off that tbh !

No I said I would not call anyone libtard or retard but thanks for your contribution. It's enlightening... about you.

I also don't think butters knows what satire is.

giphy.gif

No I said I would not call anyone libtard or retard but thanks for your contribution. It's enlightening... about you.

Reread your post again.

Around since 2005 apparently, which I have to admit to being surprised at as I assumed it was a newer word.
    libtard (plural libtards)

(US, slang, derogatory) A stupid liberal or progressive; a person who presents or advocates liberal views in a stupid and/or illogical manner.

Does Cuddihy use this word? I haven't heard him use it, no. Does he use "woke", "PC", and "snowflake"? Frequently.

Does he behave like a libtard? Does he fit the above definition? Yes; in my opinion. You are of course entitled to disagree.

• Advertisement

Does he behave like a libtard? Does he fit the above definition? Yes; in my opinion. You are of course entitled to disagree.
    But then you weren't using it satirically, you were using it to describe him.
    Anyway ill leave you to it, just nit-picking.

But then you weren't using it satirically, you were using it to describe him.
    Anyway ill leave you to it, just nit-picking.

Sigh....

Satirical is an adjective that describes satire, a work that is intended to ridicule the shortcomings and antics of a person or group. So, something that is satirical often looks like the real thing in order to make fun of it

Sigh....

Satirical is an adjective that describes satire, a work that is intended to ridicule the shortcomings and antics of a person or group. So, something that is satirical often looks like the real thing in order to make fun of it
    Ok, to clarify you were using it satirically and you yourself would never use libtard, sjw or woke in a non-satirical way?

Because if so you seem to be a satirical master going by previous posts.

Where do you stand on the term “cucktard” ?

Where do you stand on the term “cucktard” ?

Only in a Westport accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭bmc58

Tim76 wrote: »
    Me: Surely things can't get worse after Paul Williams.

Newstalk: Hold my beer...

Yes they have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭bmc58

Tim76 wrote: »
    Coleman is a pontificating c*nt. He's always got a hair up his arse about something.

Sometimes stand in Mark Cagney is the same.Where does Newstalk get these so up their own ar*es people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

wud de wurd triggered offend ye?

wud de wurd triggered offend ye?
    I can see what you did there, very subtle but really funny well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

The lads this morning thought that Coors sponsoring a plaque commemorating the lad slipping on the ice was great craic altogether, and not the shameless cynical piece of advertising that it is.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    The lads this morning thought that Coors sponsoring a plaque commemorating the lad slipping on the ice was great craic altogether, and not the shameless cynical piece of advertising that it is.

Tomorrow on Newstalk Breakfast, alcohol sponsorship - an evil and dangerous mechanism to target the young. Later in the show, Ciaran Cuddihy asks do we have too many plaques in the city of Dublin and has anyone asked the walls how they feel about having screws drilled into them?
    #wallshavefeelingstoo
    #wontsomebodythinkofthewalls

• Advertisement

Surprised at that as well, these brands having the bantz is pretty nauseating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Heard that bit...its worse they are getting. Apart from thse dumb light hearted segments they are attempting, they just cant hide their own bias on topics. Its really poor radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

It is cynical advertising without doubt but you have to say it's also a brilliant idea from whoever conceived it and very funny. The three concepts don't have to be mutually exclusive.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    It is cynical advertising without doubt but you have to say it's also a brilliant idea from whoever conceived it and very funny. The three concepts don't have to be mutually exclusive.

I found the incident funny. I don't find the commemoration of it by an alcoholic brand funny. Each to their own.

Edit: Going slightly OT, but the 'banter' advertising from mega chains needs to be called out more in the future. It is all a clever ploy to make them appear more friendly and that they would never ever try to mislead or rip off the consumer. Paddy Power got the ball rolling on this and now nearly every big chain or brand is copying them. It's not endearing for me and should be met with cynicism every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭Allinall

I found the incident funny. I don't find the commemoration of it by an alcoholic brand funny. Each to their own.

Edit: Going slightly OT, but the 'banter' advertising from mega chains needs to be called out more in the future. It is all a clever ploy to make them appear more friendly and that they would never ever try to mislead or rip off the consumer. Paddy Power got the ball rolling on this and now nearly every big chain or brand is copying them. It's not endearing for me and should be met with cynicism every time.

It’s more a clever ploy to get themselves free publicity on social media, and you just fell for it.

Allinall wrote: »
    It’s more a clever ploy to get themselves free publicity on social media, and you just fell for it.

Except I haven't. Unless you think going online is "falling for it".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭Allinall

Except I haven't. Unless you think going online is "falling for it".

Paddy Power, Coors and IKEA would beg to disagree. :)

I presume you're a fan of Branded Hellscape Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Switched on to Newstalk this morning to see what their view of the Virgin media Election debate debacle was....
    Not surprisingly, there was no mention of it in the News bulletin. Then onto the two liberal snowflakes Coleman & Cuddihy. Not one mention of the farce their work buddy Yates handled last night. If it was any other station they'd be up in snowflake arms over it.

They are probably to afraid of Yates tearing a strip off them if they said anything. P*ss poor media we have now, Everyone on Newstalk & Today FM popping up on Virgin TV & nobody saying anything critical..one big cash cow for them all.
    Yates is some cretin, whipping up Cooper by his side..

UsBus wrote: »
    Switched on to Newstalk this morning to see what their view of the Virgin media Election debate debacle was....
    Not surprisingly, there was no mention of it in the News bulletin. Then onto the two liberal snowflakes Coleman & Cuddihy. Not one mention of the farce their work buddy Yates handled last night. If it was any other station they'd be up in snowflake arms over it.

They are probably to afraid of Yates tearing a strip off them if they said anything. P*ss poor media we have now, Everyone on Newstalk & Today FM popping up on Virgin TV & nobody saying anything critical..one big cash cow for them all.
    Yates is some cretin, whipping up Cooper by his side..

Risteard Cooper is doing an Apres Match sketch series on the election. I heard one yesterday on the debate (before the debate btw) and it's worth looking for. I'd post a link but up the walls at the moment - assume it's on the Newstalk;k site somewhere or YouTube.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement