Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk - Breakfast Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

Sean O'Rourke Show's Friday Panel spoke about last night's debate at the start of their section and they did not hold back. They went to town on Yates so much s, that O'Rourke had to defend him and explain that it was a different style and maybe it was warranted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Yates mentioned before that Sean O'Rourke is his good friend. I like Yates but yesterday's debate was hard to listen at beginning. I think it was intentional approach to get a bit more animated debate but it backfired. The approach was clearly different in second part when Twitter reaction was registered. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭fire_man

Is Quinny rolled out for the rugby once a week?He used to be on alot more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

fire_man wrote: »
    Is Quinny rolled out for the rugby once a week?He used to be on alot more.

He'll do Fridays and Mondays of Rugby weekends but very little else (on breakfast). His soccer knowledge in particular is a joy to listen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭fire_man

He is even bad at rugby!Give me JD every morning please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭RINO87

Oisin Langan was great when he had the sports reports in the mornings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Risteard Cooper is doing an Apres Match sketch series on the election. I heard one yesterday on the debate (before the debate btw) and it's worth looking for. I'd post a link but up the walls at the moment - assume it's on the Newstalk;k site somewhere or YouTube.

Actually think that section by RC is woeful.
    That whole show is just trying too hard. It's so bad.
    The lack of comment around last night's debate was glaringly obvious as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

tototoe wrote: »
    Actually think that section by RC is woeful.
    That whole show is just trying too hard. It's so bad.
    The lack of comment around last night's debate was glaringly obvious as well

It was a one joke routine from what I heard and I heard a few of the sketches.

"I'm Ivan Yates and I talk over people" - that was it really. Funny first time because it's true but not enough to keep repeating.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Pencil Neck

These lads would wear you

• Advertisement

These lads would wear you

effectively 2 months since the last comment on here......wow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Pencil Neck

A nice little pay cut will soften their cough

A nice little pay cut will soften their cough

Begrudgery is a very unattractive trait.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

meeeeh wrote: »

You seem to care a lot about Newstalk's presenters???
    I dont see you on tubs, duffy, darcy, miriam threads.

Abel Ruiz wrote: »

Because I only comment on the threads of the shows I listen to. Why would I comment on something I don't listen to. Btw I have no idea what treads you comment on or don't comment on. I'm not that sad.

Don't expect me either to cheer when employees of any company lose their jobs or need to take paycuts (including lower paid staff).

So is deliberately misquoting people.

• Advertisement

I see not all healthcare employees are busy. Lucky you.

I see not all healthcare employees are busy. Lucky you.

Breaks are allowed you know, and necessary when one is working the hours that we're currently doing.

Breaks are allowed you know, and necessary when one is working the hours that we're currently doing.
    And you spend them with snipping and celebrating people needing to take pay cuts to keep their jobs. Nice.

And you spend them with snipping and celebrating people needing to take pay cuts to keep their jobs. Nice.

Where exactly did I celebrate someone having to take a pay cut to keep their job? I missed that, on yeah, because I didn't do it.

And how I choose to spend my break is none of your business really. If you were seeing what i'm seeing daily you'd need something to switch off.

Where exactly did I celebrate someone having to take a pay cut to keep their job? I missed that, on yeah, because I didn't do it.

Why was the point of quoting my reply to the post laughing at Comunicorp employees having to take up to 25% pay cut. Don't tell you didn't have a clue what my comment was about and you just decided to reply because you it was me replying. You wouldn't be that sad would you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Because I only comment on the threads of the shows I listen to. Why would I comment on something I don't listen to. Btw I have no idea what treads you comment on or don't comment on. I'm not that sad.

Don't expect me either to cheer when employees of any company lose their jobs or need to take paycuts (including lower paid staff).

But you defend all negative posts about certain presenters. There is no need to take offence for them.
    I wouldnt cheer if anyone got a paycut or lost their job other than 3 rte superstars so to speak.

Why was the point of quoting my reply to the post laughing at Comunicorp employees having to take up to 25% pay cut. Don't tell you didn't have a clue what my comment was about and you just decided to reply because you it was me replying. You wouldn't be that sad would you?

What on earth are you talking about? Where did I comment - as you have alleged - that I was celebrating workers having to take a 25% pay cut to save their jobs. Please show me. You can't, because I didn't say anything of the sort.

But you defend all negative posts about certain presenters. There is no need to take offence for them.
    I wouldnt cheer if anyone got a paycut or lost their job other than 3 rte superstars so to speak.

That's not taking offence it's disgust at delight that all employees even lower paid staff had to take pay cuts. I understand why cuts have to be made considering there is complete collapse of advertising revenue. Like I understood why we had to temporarily close but I find it very distasteful some saddo celebrating when 100s of thousands of people lose their jobs or part of their income.

What on earth are you talking about? Where did I comment - as you have alleged - that I was celebrating workers having to take a 25% pay cut to save their jobs. Please show me. You can't, because I didn't say anything of the sort.

So it was just snipping at me without even knowing what the post I was replying to was about because that's how you spend your break.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0331/1127661-communicorp-pay-cuts/

Just to enlighten you, that's why the comment about softening the cough was made.

You said:

To which I replied (quoting you):

It was not a comment on your comment per se, merely another example of an unattractive trait. Ironically you then went on to once again attempt to attribute something to me which I didn't say, imply, or insinuate; thus proving my point (again).

Are you now sufficiently (to use your own word, and therefore not deliberately misquoting you) enlightened?

Extra: For the purposes of clarity I would not like to see staff have to take a pay cut or lose their jobs at this time, esp. the lower paid workers - why would I want that? There are plenty of presenters and contractors in RTE who could do with a cut, but that's a different matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Lot of anger around here.

Lot of anger around here.

......generated by some of the same posters as usual meaning threads usually end up being locked :mad:

Agree 100% with this.
    I was stunned at the Ciara Kelly show today and her over the top hysterical ranting at her guest! She talked about her "bloody daughter" being affected by uncertainty over exams. She constantly interrupted her own guest with a shouts of indignation. This was a discussion that needs to be had but not with the hysteria she came out with.

Further along she was interviewing a student from Donegal who said some students are rebellious in class............and Ciara Kelly had to jump in saying "I was that student!!" She makes absolutely everything about herself and its beyond annoying.

However I didnt bother putting a post about this on the Ciara Kelly thread because every single time anyone make the slightest criticism of the CK show the same poster immediately jumps to her defence with the most sarcastic responses and put downs. Some people are incapable of having a discussion and a debate without sarcasm, bitterness and personal insults. That thread gets locked more than its open as a result. There is no point in contributing to those threads, likewise Newstalk Breakfast or anything Newstalk thread

You would almost think its someone planted here by Newstalk .:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭Allinall

Agree 100% with this.
    I was stunned at the Ciara Kelly show today and her over the top hysterical ranting at her guest! She talked about her "bloody daughter" being affected by uncertainty over exams. She constantly interrupted her own guest with a shouts of indignation. This was a discussion that needs to be had but not with the hysteria she came out with.

Further along she was interviewing a student from Donegal who said some students are rebellious in class............and Ciara Kelly had to jump in saying "I was that student!!" She makes absolutely everything about herself and its beyond annoying.

However I didnt bother putting a post about this on the Ciara Kelly thread because every single time anyone make the slightest criticism of the CK show the same poster immediately jumps to her defence with the most sarcastic responses and put downs. Some people are incapable of having a discussion and a debate without sarcasm, bitterness and personal insults. That thread gets locked more than its open as a result. There is no point in contributing to those threads, likewise Newstalk Breakfast or anything Newstalk thread

You would almost think its someone planted here by Newstalk .:rolleyes:

Maybe you should post this in the motoring forum as well.

MOD WARNING - An infraction has already been issued. Please desist from further angry posting or further infractions/bans will be issued.

Catmaniac.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

redmgar wrote: »
    Only in a Westport accent.

I live in Westport. Never heard "cucktard" there

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

Hard hitting interview with Leo there, Shane really sticking it to him

"Are you worried for FG after they have to make all these hard decisions?"

"COVID has been tough, have you been having sleepless nights Taoiseach"

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Tim76

BillyBird wrote: »

Thankfully I don't have the pleasure anymore as I no longer have to commute to work. Every cloud...

BillyBird wrote: »

"Are you worried for FG after they have to make all these hard decisions?"

"COVID has been tough, have you been having sleepless nights Taoiseach"

Pathetic interview, arse licking !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Pathetic interview, arse licking !

Coleman has a habit of that in interviews particularly high profile ones. He'll ask a toughish question, get an answer and no matter how wishy washy it is, he'll probe no further. He'll just respond with "Ah yeah, that's very understandable".

His job as interviewer is to probe further and ask the questions that someone with an opposing view to the interviewee would ask even if he personally agrees with the interviewee.

I like him but he's piss poor in those situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

DeanAustin wrote: »
    I like him but he's piss poor in those situations.

I also like him on the whole, but that was beyond wishy washy.

The lads were fawning over Bertie Ahern this morning. Christ knows what that crook is given any sort of an audience anywmore but anyway, that's another story. Bertie didn't sound like himself....he voice sounded a little "different".

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Tim76

Bertie didn't sound like himself....he voice sounded a little "different".

Maybe it was Mario Rosenstock

Tim76 wrote: »
    Maybe it was Mario Rosenstock

No, it was Bertie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

Reading out a text on wearing masks on public transport:

“It’s not rocket surgery.”

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Count Hairyfoot

Brenda Power with another of her anti union factually incorrect rants on education this morning - completely unchallenged by the hosts - although that's no surprise on Newstalk. At the end they asked for texts "Do you agree with Brenda or are you a teacher, or do you feel your union is letting you down?". A deliberate attempt to lead the audience towards an agenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭Allinall

Brenda Power with another of her anti union factually incorrect rants on education this morning - completely unchallenged by the hosts - although that's no surprise on Newstalk. At the end they asked for texts "Do you agree with Brenda or are you a teacher, or do you feel your union is letting you down?". A deliberate attempt to lead the audience towards an agenda.

I thought Brenda was spot on.

She wasn't blaming teachers, rather the unions leading teachers in the wrong direction.

What was factually incorrect in what she said?

Allinall wrote: »
    I thought Brenda was spot on.

She wasn't blaming teachers, rather the unions leading teachers in the wrong direction.

What was factually incorrect in what she said?

Well we don't have the best paid teachers in the world, they don't have the longest holidays in the world.
    From the beginning of the crisis teachers didn't say No as Brenda claims, they went online and worked the situation as best they could until the end of term. She can't remember which union refused to work during the holidays - probably because none of them did. The ASTI asked for clarification on a number of points but never point blank refused to work during the holiday.
    Then she made a point about an inservice training day. I don't do work training during my holiday - I doubt Brenda does so why would I expect another worker to. Alright I get 25 days a year but the point still stands. She then went on to compare sitting in a class to going shopping or to the pub which I think shows her level of knowledge.

Then the bit about being off with a snifle - first it's ok and then 30 seconds later its not - they should be working remotely by zoom. Alright Brenda how does that work - everyone in for first class - and then everyone sit unsupervised in another room for second class while someone does a zoom class? She scoffed at the need for additional teachers as well until it was explained why it'd be necessary.

She repeatedly says with incredulity that the unions primary interest is the safety of it members...what does she think the unions job is? They are saying that under the current guidelines it won't be possible for everyone to return fully. They're not wrong so the return needs to be planned a lot better and whatever resources are needed should be thrown at it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

Well we don't have the best paid teachers in the world, they don't have the longest holidays in the world.
    From the beginning of the crisis teachers didn't say No as Brenda claims, they went online and worked the situation as best they could until the end of term. She can't remember which union refused to work during the holidays - probably because none of them did. The ASTI asked for clarification on a number of points but never point blank refused to work during the holiday.
    Then she made a point about an inservice training day. I don't do work training during my holiday - I doubt Brenda does so why would I expect another worker to. Alright I get 25 days a year but the point still stands. She then went on to compare sitting in a class to going shopping or to the pub which I think shows her level of knowledge.

Then the bit about being off with a snifle - first it's ok and then 30 seconds later its not - they should be working remotely by zoom. Alright Brenda how does that work - everyone in for first class - and then everyone sit unsupervised in another room for second class while someone does a zoom class? She scoffed at the need for additional teachers as well until it was explained why it'd be necessary.

She repeatedly says with incredulity that the unions primary interest is the safety of it members...what does she think the unions job is? They are saying that under the current guidelines it won't be possible for everyone to return fully. They're not wrong so the return needs to be planned a lot better and whatever resources are needed should be thrown at it.

Teachers are the laziest of the lazy. Their per hourly rate is one of the top in the world and their hours are the shortest and still they moan.

Teachers are the laziest of the lazy. Their per hourly rate is one of the top in the world and their hours are the shortest and still they moan.

You sound jealous. There are shortages in most teaching subjects. Why not apply - fix the system from within and all that?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

You sound jealous. There are shortages in most teaching subjects. Why not apply - fix the system from within and all that?

Just not lazy enough I’m afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Ideally a union’s “job” would be to fight for a fair shake for its members. Modern unions don’t do this, they “gouge” the State for as much as they can get.

They are bloated politic institutions packed to the gills with self important spivs. The teachers union’s job, if the last 20 years is anything to go by is to ensure that the “old guard” of teachers are well looked after while the “newly qualified” ones pay the price.

It’s a disgrace that teachers are “hamstrung” into joining these bloated institutions who don’t care a jot about them. If a teacher refuses to join up they are, effectively, left with a HR department as the DoE has basically outsourced this arm to the unions.

It seems to me that the unions, particularly the primary ones, are sticking their oar in to force the department to bring back the “chalk and talk” model that we’ve, rightly, done away with. This would, again, favour the oldies who’d like nothing more than to sit on their arses reaming off the “times tables“ while they count down the days until retirement.

The teachers, themselves, are not the problem here.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Ideally a union’s “job” would be to fight for a fair shake for its members. Modern unions don’t do this, they “gouge” the State for as much as they can get.

Nobody does bad PR quite as spectacularly as the teachers unions and they have lots of problems (especially the treatment of new V old) - but in this case would you not think that the safety of its members is covered by a "fair shake"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Nobody does bad PR quite as spectacularly as the teachers unions and they have lots of problems (especially the treatment of new V old) - but in this case would you not think that the safety of its members is covered by a "fair shake"

Maybe they do have the safety of their members as their priority, I just wouldn’t trust them too much.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

Albanian asylum seekers on Breakfast at the moment talking about her experience as a refuguee here with her partner. Apparently she had to come here because her partner had a blood feud in Albania. That should be a major warning sign as blood feuds are a thing in the Albania mafia not normal Albanian people.

But then it turned out that they originally went to Iceland. But their application for Refuguee status was rejected there. So instead of being deported back to Albania they looked at a map and decided to try Ireland and hopped on a plane. Then they arrived in Ireland and spent a "stressful" 2 hours filling in forms and answering questions in the airport before been given a place in a direct provision center.

We're a great little country altogether aren't we. Albanian gangster touring around Europe being kicked out of other countries (probably because he is on the run from rival gangsters) gets free accommodation, food etc. And the liberal media zone in on the stressful 2 hours they spent in the Airport and the disgrace that is the standard of free accommodation we provided for the gangster and his girlfriend.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement