Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk - Breakfast Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

touts wrote: »
    Albanian asylum seekers on Breakfast at the moment talking about her experience as a refuguee here with her partner. Apparently she had to come here because her partner had a blood feud in Albania. That should be a major warning sign as blood feuds are a thing in the Albania mafia not normal Albanian people.

But then it turned out that they originally went to Iceland. But their application for Refuguee status was rejected there. So instead of being deported back to Albania they looked at a map and decided to try Ireland and hopped on a plane. Then they arrived in Ireland and spent a "stressful" 2 hours filling in forms and answering questions in the airport before been given a place in a direct provision center.

We're a great little country altogether aren't we. Albanian gangster touring around Europe being kicked out of other countries (probably because he is on the run from rival gangsters) gets free accommodation, food etc. And the liberal media zone in on the stressful 2 hours they spent in the Airport and the disgrace that is the standard of free accommodation we provided for the gangster and his girlfriend.

How dare you question them! The #wokefolk of Newstalk and RTE do not approve of such things!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Lad on the show today who made it to Ireland all the way from South Africa giving out that he wasn't expecting to be put into direct provision, that he'd be housed with Irish people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

It's the theme for the summer according to an ad I heard earlier on the station. A focus on all things Direct Provision for the next 2 months (except of course deportations, refusal rates, the appeals process and the legal quango making out on it etc etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Newstalk seem to have an obsession with DP, Barry White seems to spend a lot of time on it. Common theme with these shows and the regular Irish Times features on DP is that they never ask how many appeals the asylum seekers have made when they say they've been in DP for X amount of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Count Hairyfoot

Terrible interview with Heather Humphreys this morning. Asked her will a persons unemployment payment be impacted if they travel to a green list country. She answered by saying people in the UK now have to quarantine if they go to Spain followed by some waffle...and they let her away with it.

Even worse was her repeated claim that ministers aren't getting a raise but actually a 12% pay cut. Leaving aside whatever raise they've given themselves from the last government, a 10% decrease, followed by not taking a 2% rise does not equal a 12% cut - it's still 10% - again completely unchallenged.

Tuned in for a minute there to hear a story about apples stolen from an orchard. FFS, slow news day or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Tuned in for a minute there to hear a story about apples stolen from an orchard. FFS, slow news day or what?

That was covered on the main news bulletins on RTÉ last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭storker

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Coleman has a habit of that in interviews particularly high profile ones. He'll ask a toughish question, get an answer and no matter how wishy washy it is, he'll probe no further. He'll just respond with "Ah yeah, that's very understandable".

His job as interviewer is to probe further and ask the questions that someone with an opposing view to the interviewee would ask even if he personally agrees with the interviewee.

I like him but he's piss poor in those situations.

That's because he's an FG fanboy.

That was covered on the main news bulletins on RTÉ last night.

Really? I didn’t see that and just assumed Newstalk were so stuck for content they included it.

storker wrote: »
    That's because he's an FG fanboy.

I always found him more FF-leaning tbh. He’s married into FF royalty....

• Advertisement

Coleman yesterday morning saying the criticism of politicians has gone too far and that losing the ministry was enough punishment when a listener suggested Calleary should resign as a TD. Cue Coleman in an exasperated voice saying "he made a mistake" over and over. I didn't hear much of that after George Hook opened his mouth.

Barry Cowan should have resigned from politics after his offences, and subsequent attempts at a cover-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

professional ball of ****e, 'Rise' TD Paul Murphy on now ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

coming from the man a few weeks ago that said what would Willie Walsh and Michael O'Leary know about flying a plane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Coleman fairly stopped him in his tracks when he started comparing the dinner (wrong as it was) as some sort of Davos type elite capitalist event.

Has Cuddihy being dropped altogether and its Shane Coleman and Ciara Kelly as the presenters now?

jay0109 wrote: »
    Has Cuddihy being dropped altogether and its Shane Coleman and Ciara Kelly as the presenters now?

Cuddihy got Drivetime/The Hard Shoulder.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

He is taking over from Ivan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Coleman got his head handed back to him this morning by the Dublin planner fella. Big time. The fella, was his name Conor Skehan move, made bits of Coleman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Azatadine wrote: »
    Coleman got his head handed back to him this morning by the Dublin planner fella. Big time. The fella, was his name Conor Skehan move, made bits of Coleman.

The planner was made bits of by assuming the situation in other European cities and texters came back who actually live in those cities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

2smiggy wrote: »
    professional ball of ****e, 'Rise' TD Paul Murphy on now ...

They keep putting Paul Murphy and Richard Boyd Barrett on to represent the opposition because their parties are tiny and at this stage going nowhere. People say where are Sinn Fein? Well maybe they are not being asked on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭RINO87

Is "quinny" still sleeping his way thru the sports reports on the new breakfast show?

RINO87 wrote: »
    Is "quinny" still sleeping his way thru the sports reports on the new breakfast show?

Yeah, it was awful yesterday morning after the Irish game. Coleman feeding him the lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Genghis

Yeah, it was awful yesterday morning after the Irish game. Coleman feeding him the lines.

Coleman is a deferential sort who would use 'proper' titles, names, etc when speaking to anyone. I think Quinlan is perhaps the only person he uses a nickname for - its always "Quinny", never Alan, etc. Indicates, I think, that Quinlan is not rated by Coleman as a peer.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Please, please, please if anyone from Newstalk is reading this, will you ban those stupid fooking fastest fingers ads, the piano one was bad, but the sausage one is shocking.

pc7 wrote: »
    Please, please, please if anyone from Newstalk is reading this, will you ban those stupid fooking fastest fingers ads, the piano one was bad, but the sausage one is shocking.

Can't thank this enough. They really are so bad. And Brian Cox doing the voiceover he must have cost a pretty penny. What a waste.

I can just imagine the scene in the recording studio..

Brian Cox: You expect me to read this?
    Virgin Marketting Exec: What else would you do with it?
    Brian Cox: If I had a match I could put it out of its misery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

How could anyone see something like this and pitch it as an idea for an ad for broadband? The mind boggles.

I have lost all respect for Virgin, Guinness World Records, sausages & Cavan. Worst ad ever.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

How could anyone see something like this and pitch it as an idea for an ad for broadband? The mind boggles.

OMG! I thought it was actually a piss take of an ad, I didn't realise it was based on reality!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

I have lost all respect for Virgin, Guinness World Records, sausages & Cavan. Worst ad ever.

It's the lad from the Guinness World Records I feel sorry for. You often wonder what led people to a particular low point in their lives, where did it all go wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭MFPM

They keep putting Paul Murphy and Richard Boyd Barrett on to represent the opposition because their parties are tiny and at this stage going nowhere. People say where are Sinn Fein? Well maybe they are not being asked on.

They do it for clickbait radio, which is Newstalk's speciality. Left-wing TDs tend to exorcise the 'centre' right Newstalk presenters and it's predominantly ABC1 audience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Radio shows have the Looney Tunes cartoon character politicians on speed dial for a reaction, all madcap ideas and funny accents, RB-B, Healy Raes, Eamon Ryan wolves and window boxes etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭MFPM

Radio shows have the Looney Tunes cartoon character politicians on speed dial for a reaction, all madcap ideas and funny accents, RB-B, Healy Raes, Eamon Ryan wolves and window boxes etc.

Yep, they have a fair view FF/FG politicians spouting them too...'Meat factories, you say, covid clusters, you say, close them? Don't be ridiculous!!'

It gets worser and worser!

This morning's fake click bait....that book in France about Hating Men that was banned. Shane agrees with the premise of the book as basically men have run the World since day one and have made an utter mess of it.
    Ciara disagrees of course.

It really is tabloid radio of the lowest kind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭Allinall

It gets worser and worser!

This morning's fake click bait....that book in France about Hating Men that was banned. Shane agrees with the premise of the book as basically men have run the World since day one and have made an utter mess of it.
    Ciara disagrees of course.

It really is tabloid radio of the lowest kind

I thought it was an interesting discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Listening in this morning, Shane saying the "media" reaction to yesterday's Government $ hitshow was over the top. I was typing out a text @30c and said "no, I'm not sending that. I know they do this every morning (it's their business model) but this is the worst clickbait/trolling I've think they've ever engaged in". I lost my job recently so have plenty of time to watch the TV and listen to the radio. I followed all of yesterday's action - it was farcical. And this government brought the most expensive communications consultants in the world to help them.

Edit: I don't think anyone is giving out about the plan but the delivery was a mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Cole

Listening in this morning, Shane saying the "media" reaction to yesterday's Government $ hitshow was over the top. I was typing out a text @30c and said "no, I'm not sending that. I know they do this every morning (it's their business model) but this is the worst clickbait/trolling I've think they've ever engaged in". I lost my job recently so have plenty of time to watch the TV and listen to the radio. I followed all of yesterday's action - it was farcical. And this government brought the most expensive communications consultants in the world to help them.

Edit: I don't think anyone is giving out about the plan but the delivery was a mess.

I caught his assessment of the media reaction a bit later in the show and I was delighted to hear someone call it out. I also watched and listened to a lot of the coverage yesterday, including the press conference and I thought was pretty straightforward...but if you have every opposition politician and seemingly every media outlet telling everyone that it is confusing...well...

Bryan Dobson's opening words this morning..."chaos and confusion". The permanently confused Philip Ryan leading the Independent's "chaos" theme today...etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Cole wrote: »
    I caught his assessment of the media reaction a bit later in the show and I was delighted to hear someone call it out. I also watched and listened to a lot of the coverage yesterday, including the press conference and I thought was pretty straightforward...but if you have every opposition politician and seemingly every media outlet telling everyone that it is confusing...well...

Bryan Dobson's opening words this morning..."chaos and confusion". The permanently confused Philip Ryan leading the Independent's "chaos" theme today...etc. etc.

Correct Cole, correct and right.

It’s simple.......if you WANT to be confused, you WILL be confused.

The performance of RTE is very questionable in this pandemic handling.

Very questionable indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Field east

Ciara Kelly told us, in as many words ,this morn what she is really like - a very ignorant and very unprofessional person who likes to hear herself talking and does not like other people taking her space for very long.
    Why am I saying this.? She was interviewing A Trinity College virologist expert - a woman. The interview started off on the virus , how it spreads , etc. Ms Kelly then tried to drag the discussion into social/ economic areas and the woman said that she is not going to be dragged into areas that she is not competent in - or words to that effect . The lady then began to explain more about the virus. And when she was finished Kelly had no questions for her, offered no opinions on what the lady had said, no thanks. Just the proverbial silence. Kelly then went immediately on to another subject with herself.
    If she has any morsel of self respect SHE SHOULD iSSUE APUBLIC APOLOGY to the woman.

IN SUMMERY. AVERY IGNORANT BEHAVIOUR

Yeah, very poor by Kelly this morning. Shown up badly by her approach and attitude to the assistant professor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I find both presenters unlikeable. Coleman is probably sound enough off air, but he comes across as an awful miserable person on air.

Field east wrote: »
    Ciara Kelly told us, in as many words ,this morn what she is really like - a very ignorant and very unprofessional person who likes to hear herself talking and does not like other people taking her space for very long.
    Why am I saying this.? She was interviewing A Trinity College virologist expert - a woman. The interview started off on the virus , how it spreads , etc. Ms Kelly then tried to drag the discussion into social/ economic areas and the woman said that she is not going to be dragged into areas that she is not competent in - or words to that effect . The lady then began to explain more about the virus. And when she was finished Kelly had no questions for her, offered no opinions on what the lady had said, no thanks. Just the proverbial silence. Kelly then went immediately on to another subject with herself.
    If she has any morsel of self respect SHE SHOULD iSSUE APUBLIC APOLOGY to the woman.

How dare you criticize Ciara Kelly!!!!! She’s a woman and therefore above any and all criticism. She can do no wrong - at least according to her many, many fans on boards. Be prepared for the avalanche of hate that’s no doubt coming your way you MAN!

Don’t you know Ciara was a GP? The way some of her fanclub idolize her on boards they’d have you believe she therefore knows more than any expert - no matter what the topic, medical or otherwise. As a GP she’d certainly know more than a mere Professor of Virology (lol).

I’ll get the popcorn ready.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Have to say, I’m liking Ciara on Breakfast. Didn’t expect to after Lunchtime but think she’s good on Breakfast.

After getting schooled by the Trinity Professor, she decided to try and antagonize the DCU Professor too, but failed to get a soundbite out of him despite her attempts at provocation. Not her best day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

Field east wrote: »

I agree. I’ve defended Ciara (a bit) before, but they interview was ridiculous. The summary afterwards was Ciara saying that this virologist is not an economist and Coleman saying the same thing. So, the conclusion was that none of the information from an experienced virologist was valid, as she did not cover the economic side.

The interview didn’t fit their narrative (whether or not they both believe in their narrative or not at this stage), and it was painful to listen to.

Don't you know that she has an opinion and her opinion is always right? Always!

Completely dismisses anybody else's opinion, no matter who or what there opinion is or no matter who they are. Terrible stuff.

She's like the cat that got the cream whenever anybody agrees with her of course. Loves reading out twitter posts from people who support her opinion. You can actually hear it by the way she reads them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Completely dismisses anybody else's opinion, no matter who or what there opinion is or no matter who they are. Terrible stuff.

She's like the cat that got the cream whenever anybody agrees with her of course. Loves reading out twitter posts from people who support her opinion. You can actually hear it by the way she reads them out.

She's obnoxious . Shouts over anyone she disagrees with and wont let anyone else have an opinion.

She's doesnt suit sharing with another presenter in my opinion as she doesnt let them speak a whole lot and when they do she has to interrupt

The most annoying woman with a huge ego

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Wonder what her boards username is...

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Yeah I heard it. She was very rude, and should have apologised. But that's who she is, they know who they have hired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

SAMTALK wrote: »
    She's obnoxious . Shouts over anyone she disagrees with and wont let anyone else have an opinion.

She's doesnt suit sharing with another presenter in my opinion as she doesnt let them speak a whole lot and when they do she has to interrupt

The most annoying woman with a huge ego

I used to 100% agree with this and still do in many ways . BUT, she is the only dissenting voice on all the bull**** going on re Covid, the only journalist saying we need to get on with it and not be locking down etc. She is also a GP, so has actually dealt with the public regarding health. For that I am very grateful to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I used to 100% agree with this and still do in many ways . BUT, she is the only dissenting voice on all the bull**** going on re Covid, the only journalist saying we need to get on with it and not be locking down etc.

yeah I was going to make that point as well. At first I thought that they were just doing that "let's set up a pretend debate where you take the for side and I take the against side". But, to be fair, she has been strong on asking questions about the approach to lockdown and for that I am also appreciative.

• Advertisement

Questions are one thing but how you ask them and how you respond to the answers is another thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement