Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk - Breakfast Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭Azatadine

They always kick it off in the morning with this pre-planned "debate" about some topic or other from two completely opposing views. Its so clearly choreographed that its embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭FledNanders

I've fully moved the dial to Morning Ireland now after years of persisting with the Breakfast Show, even through the pain of the Paul Williams years.

It's just too bad now.

I just can't handle any more of CK's monologuing or the "What was your favorite breakfast cereal when you were a child, let us know 53106" type topics.

And don't get me started on the talking to the public bit they do now. Painful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Cole

Newstalk was tuned on the car radio this morning when I started up, so I caught about a minute of CK and SC arguing over the Seamus Woulfe Golfgate thing. It ended with CK asking the listeners to let her know who they agree with...clearly anticipating the listeners would go for her more populist views...I reached for the RTE 1 button fairly quickly.

It's such a cliche, but this show really does sound like (intentional) 'dumbing down'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Was she the only person nominated for the award?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

redbuck wrote: »
    Was she the only person nominated for the award?

Even the kids who come last in the school sports get a medal now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

They’re 6months and a day out on this announcement.

They’re 6months and a day out on this announcement.

The comments aren’t too supportive to Dr Kelly on Twitter there.

The comments aren’t too supportive to Dr Kelly on Twitter there.

I did smile at the “this is the worst thing to happen in 2020” tweet, and the one which suggested the selection committee was also amusing.

• Advertisement

So a doxxer is speech broadcaster of the year? Ok.
    I know standards are slipping, but wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

So a doxxer is speech broadcaster of the year? Ok.
    I know standards are slipping, but wow.

Did she doxx you Butthers.?

No, “just” a rape victim.

This morning, at 8.15 am the interviewer phone interviews a TD from clare didn't get his name. Chair of a COVID committee too. What does this TD think of the report from NPHET? About the country sliding back.

Why this TD is "SHOCKED"!!!

Dude. Where have you been living for the last 2 weeks?

Ciara Kelly again this morning beating her “restrictions are too heavy handed” drum, stating how no other country in Europe is doing this - ignoring the fact that all of these countries have better healthcare infrastructures and crucially, significantly more hospital bed capacity than Ireland. She of course knows this but it doesn’t suit her narrative nor populist rabble-rousing.

Newstalk now promoting a competition to win €5,000. Costs €2.50 to enter, not 30c.

This morning, at 8.15 am the interviewer phone interviews a TD from clare didn't get his name. Chair of a COVID committee too. What does this TD think of the report from NPHET? About the country sliding back.

Why this TD is "SHOCKED"!!!

Dude. Where have you been living for the last 2 weeks?

Wasn't listening but that would be the one and only Michael McNamara...I can only imagine the kind of incoherent verbal diarrhoea he came out with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Doxx is described as "search for and publish private or identifying information about (a particular individual) on the Internet, typically with malicious intent."

As I said before, I don't think this was done with malicious intent. It was a mistake for sure, but Butters just wants to believe that it was. I thought Kelly or somebody in Newstalk should have directly addressed the accusation publicly though.

Ciara Kelly again this morning beating her “restrictions are too heavy handed” drum, stating how no other country in Europe is doing this - ignoring the fact that all of these countries have better healthcare infrastructures and crucially, significantly more hospital bed capacity than Ireland. She of course knows this but it doesn’t suit her narrative nor populist rabble-rousing.

Newstalk now promoting a competition to win €5,000. Costs €2.50 to enter, not 30c.

I heard NPHET member Dr Mary Favier making this very point on Morning Ireland. I wish this was put out there a little more to back up the justification for strict measures.

Doxx is described as "search for and publish private or identifying information about (a particular individual) on the Internet, typically with malicious intent."

As I said before, I don't think this was done with malicious intent. It was a mistake for sure, but Butters just wants to believe that it was. I thought Kelly or somebody in Newstalk should have directly addressed the accusation publicly though.

Not what I said, but sure go with your own narrative. I'm using the term pejoratively.

Surely however you agree it was an enormous (and I'm being kind, some say unforgivable) error on her part - which she hasn't addressed publicly - particularly given her past role as a GP? She would have been subject to disciplinary proceedings were she still a GP btw for this "error" and breach of confidentiality. Whether done maliciously or not, it's her error, and she should own it and apologise for it - neither of which to the best of my knowledge she appears to have done yet.

I'm sure the victim though feels assured by your words though. Sure it's all grand, was just a mistake.

Cole wrote: »
    Wasn't listening but that would be the one and only Michael McNamara...I can only imagine the kind of incoherent verbal diarrhoea he came out with.

Yup, 'twas him. He was very good actually. And by very good I mean compared to Mattie McGrath or Danny Healy-Rae.

It gets worse for Ciara, the rape victim she outed is saying that Ciara Kelly has blocked her on twitter now.

• Advertisement

It gets worse for Ciara, the rape victim she outed is saying that Ciara Kelly has blocked her on twitter now.

That's not exactly a wise move. She really needs to apologise on this, blocking her looks very bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Was no fan of Ciara on the lunchtime show but she has come into her own since the corona virus. She is 100% right on the restrictions being way too harsh and pointless. We need to follow the Swedish model and get on with life. The average age of those who died was 90! I know it’s sad but that is an incredible age to live til.

Was no fan of Ciara on the lunchtime show but she has come into her own since the corona virus. She is 100% right on the restrictions being way too harsh and pointless. We need to follow the Swedish model and get on with life. The average age of those who died was 90! I know it’s sad but that is an incredible age to live til.

Ok...............:rolleyes:
    Just ignore what I said about hospital capacity and bed capacity in Ireland v other European countries as being the primay reason for this proposed (and it's still only a proposal).

You do know Ciara Kelly was (past-tense) a GP right? And not an immunologist or a virologist? Or are you seriously suggesting she knows more about this and has more information at her disposal than the country's leading medics, who are basing their recommendations on fact, and not opinion (unlike Ciara Kelly)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Don't let old people stop you having your fun.

Was no fan of Ciara on the lunchtime show but she has come into her own since the corona virus.

In other words...she's been given a platform since then to spout subjective and populist views, so she can make a name for herself.
    She is 100% right on the restrictions being way too harsh and pointless. We need to follow the Swedish model and get on with life.

In other words...the restrictions have achieved absolutely nothing and some of us just want to do as we please.
    The average age of those who died was 90! I know it’s sad but that is an incredible age to live til.

In other words...feck old people. (I think it's also been an incredible way for some to have died...alone on a ventilator).

Just my interpretation, of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

So basically she has come into her own because you agree with her.

So Ciara kelly is 100 % right and NPHET and the Government are wrong . Really?

Incredible age to live? It's a reasonable age to reach these days..... my mother died aged 89 (unexpectedly of hospital infection), her very active sister died aged 88 having been dancing In the street on holidays two days before, her other "fragile" sister lived very well to 87, her brother died because of haemochromatosis diagnosed too late aged 83. My father's brother and older sister each died aged 89 after being active and out & about until fairly shortly before their death, His younger sister is living a good life in her own home aged 89 now, my father would gave lasted longer than 79 but for his incessant lifelong smoking which directly caused cerebral vascular disease, and I have an "in-law" uncle playing his computer games, listening to his classical music recordings, in a lovely single room in his nursing home aged 99. My mother's first cousin in Edinburgh lived by herself in her own house until she died in her chair aged 102. I am well used to people living long active lives, and am dismayed by society kind of writing people off as no longer really having lives in this pandemic.

And to demonstrate how active my mother was in spite of a disability brought about by an accident a good few years before, when she was 88 she visited Cardiff, New York; in her last year she visited Vienna, Zurich, Donegal/Derry/Antrim, and had been booked to London & Cyprus when death intervened. They're only the ones I can actually date precisely, in her final four years she'd been to Orkney, Outer Hebrides, Paris, Santiago de Compostela, Fuerteventura, The Azores, Helicopter to Scilly Islands, and more. The wheelchair didn't get in the way of enjoyment either, life was there to be lived, with no end to the plans.

As if the world had not got surreal enough, today we had to listen to Pat Kenny congratulating Ciara Kelly on winning the IMRO 2020 Speech Broadcaster Of The Year award. It was like Cristiano Ronaldo congratulating Glenn Whelan on winning the Ballon D'Or.

As if the world had not got surreal enough, today we had to listen to Pat Kenny congratulating Ciara Kelly on winning the IMRO 2020 Speech Broadcaster Of The Year award. It was like Cristiano Ronaldo congratulating Glenn Whelan on winning the Ballon D'Or.

That's very unfair.......on Glenn Whelan.

What is the point of having Alan Quinlan on this show? This morning Ciara Kelly introduced him and he then read questions off a page to Kenny Cunningham. Surely the middle man can be cut out.

I was waiting for him to shoehorn a Munster reference in when he asked about players missing the game because of COVID restrictions, but it must not have been written on his notepad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭amlinopta

What is the point of having Alan Quinlan on this show? This morning Ciara Kelly introduced him and he then read questions off a page to Kenny Cunningham. Surely the middle man can be cut out.

I was waiting for him to shoehorn a Munster reference in when he asked about players missing the game because of COVID restrictions, but it must not have been written on his notepad.

There is no point! The Alan Quinlan-Ciara Kelly combination must represent an all time low in sports bulletins. Quinny robbing a living from Newstalk for years at this stage

It ws hilariously bad, as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Ive often wondered that myself, he offers no insight whatsoever to any sport outside rugby, just generic waffle. As for Kelly, she asked him last Monday week about all the inter county GAA action over the weekend

In Ciara and Alan's SportsNews @ 8:30 this morning Ciara (I assume it was her at least as she wasn't talking, hers should be the only mic "on" at that time, and I can't imagine Quinny doing two things at once) started typing incredibly loudly during Alan's waffle about the soccer yesterday. It was hilarious. Almost as hilarious as both of them discussing a match I am pretty confident neither of them (from their "analysis") watched. Ciara reading a list of pre-prepared generic soccer questions, Alan reading a list of pre-prepared replies whilst starying off into random tangents before actualy finishing the point he was trying to make. For example from memory (I am admitting in advance I could be wrong on this), I can't recall if they even mentioned the sending-off in the game.

Same with the rugby, yes Ciara I believe you sat through 4 Pro 14 matches this weekend..................
    :rolleyes:

In Ciara and Alan's SportsNews @ 8:30 this morning Ciara (I assume it was her at least as she wasn't talking, hers should be the only mic "on" at that time, and I can't imagine Quinny doing two things at once) started typing incredibly loudly during Alan's waffle about the soccer yesterday. It was hilarious. Almost as hilarious as both of them discussing a match I am pretty confident neither of them (from their "analysis") watched. Ciara reading a list of pre-prepared generic soccer questions, Alan reading a list of pre-prepared replies whilst starying off into random tangents before actualy finishing the point he was trying to make. For example from memory (I am admitting in advance I could be wrong on this), I can't recall if they even mentioned the sending-off in the game.

Same with the rugby, yes Ciara I believe you sat through 4 Pro 14 matches this weekend..................
    :rolleyes:

She even threw in a couple of soccer cliches at the start, she’s learning all the lingo.

If you’re not depressed enough heading to work on a Monday morning listening to Quinny would push you over the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Kelly is a disaster in the morning, her appointment is like something that would be decided by a focus-group.
    You can sense Shane Coleman's frustration with the situation.

Newstalk are starting to make RTE look good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I rather liked her on Lunchtime, but I don't think it works on Breakfast. That said, I rarely catch Breakfast now with the working from home schedule.

In Ciara and Alan's SportsNews @ 8:30 this morning Ciara (I assume it was her at least as she wasn't talking, hers should be the only mic "on" at that time, and I can't imagine Quinny doing two things at once) started typing incredibly loudly during Alan's waffle about the soccer yesterday.

Even them referring to him as Quinny is just ridiculous, were they team mates with him? I'm a bit conflicted on Quinlan at this stage. I think he is hugely underqualified for the position and in no way should have been given the job. But on the other hand, I have to admire his b@lls to get in there and do a job that he is clearly uncomfortable with and getting no end of slagging over. Like a guy who was forcing himself to do public speaking classes.

But I think they should have started him sweeping the factory floor, before handing him the keys to the board room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭RINO87

Poor Mark Cagney thought she had sacked him as they were signing off this morning! Ha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Lionse

I'm sure I hear Alan Quinlan saying the goalkeeper Darren Randolph missed a great chance to score this morning on the same sports bulletin

Ciara typing away again very loudly during her “sportschat for dummies” with Quinny just now.

This “the GAA is essential for the country’s mental health” nonsense is getting on my wick. I wish these GAA sycophants would realise there are people in this country who couldn’t give a toss about the GAA.

Do you know what would be good for the country’s mental health? Less of a focus on the GAA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

This “the GAA is essential for the country’s mental health” nonsense is getting on my wick. I wish these GAA sycophants would realise there are people in this country who couldn’t give a toss about the GAA.

Do you know what would be good for the country’s mental health? Less of a focus on the GAA.

Won't listen to the bint. Is she playing the mental health card in relation to the GAA ?.
    I do like the small ball gaa sports,but I don't know anyone who would go dolally if it was skipped for a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

And more focus on the virus...we don't have enough of that already!

GAA is a welcome return as long as the players and backroom teams agree to go ahead. If not, call it off.

I do like the small ball gaa sports,but I don't know anyone who would go dolally if it was skipped for a year.
    Exactly...I think we can all survive that.
    jay0109 wrote: »
    GAA is a welcome return as long as the players and backroom teams agree to go ahead. If not, call it off.
    And if they do, stick to the restrictions and act responsibly before and after games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭Azatadine

She has an awful habit of starting a sentence and stopping and starting again. For instance "Do we"....."Do we"....."Do we blah blah blah"

Cole wrote: »
    And if they do, stick to the restrictions and act responsibly before and after games.

They (and their supporters) haven't exactly shown that they can comply given the evidence so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

They (and their supporters) haven't exactly shown that they can comply given the evidence so far.

Pat doesn’t do compliance,caller, once the dhrink starts flowing....... moarr atter diss.....

Fair play to Ciara, she did nothing but watch sport this weekend in preparation for her slot with Quinny this morning.

:pac::pac::rolleyes:

Fair play to Ciara, she did nothing but watch sport this weekend in preparation for her slot with Quinny this morning.

:pac::pac::rolleyes:

What were the highlights this morning? I was just getting in the car when Quinny was signing off sadly.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement