Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk - Breakfast Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Piehead

Are you actually serious?

Well it is his name....

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭DrSerious3

Are you actually serious?

To quote yourself 'Lol, ok hun xoxo.' At least you have S1ppy or whatever their name is to like all your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

It's very difficult to take her seriously on this because she is presenting one side of the argument to make her point. She is saying no-one else is in lockdown or the level of lockdown we are in, neither of which are actually true - see my earlier posts on this - but let's say it was.

Here's the problem: Ciara Kelly as a former GP would understand the Healthcare system more than the layperson. She is fully aware that the reason we are in lockdown is because of a chronic bed shortage in this country and a significantly below average ICU bed per capita rate (again, I've provided the stats on this in an earlier post) compared to our European counterparts, but refuses to acknowledge this when presenting her point above. What that means is that those countries can stay "open" longer as they are significantly better equipped to cope with a rise in infections and deaths than we are.

And that's why she has a credibility issue here and people think she's doing it for attention.

What are the stats?

Doesn’t the health service get overwhelmed at this time most years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

DeanAustin wrote: »
    What are the stats?

Doesn’t the health service get overwhelmed at this time most years?

Are you too lazy to read back?

Yes. It does. But try adding a global pandemic on top of that and it’s not going to be all totes amazeballs is it?

DrSerious3 wrote: »
    To quote yourself 'Lol, ok hun xoxo.' At least you have S1ppy or whatever their name is to like all your posts.

Ok hun xoxo

Are you too lazy to read back?

Yes. It does. But try adding a global pandemic on top of that and it’s not going to be all totes amazeballs is it?

There are other health experts who believe that the lockdown is unnecessary. Therefore I think it’s wrong to assume Kelly’s opinions are any more than her genuinely held opinions. There is nothing wrong with having a proper discussion on it but writing people’s points of view off as motivated by some ulterior motive just poisons the discussion.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/martin-feeley-hospital-admissions-don-t-justify-pressing-the-panic-button-1.4390870?mode=amp

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/opinion/jack-lambert-lockdowns-can-be-avoided-but-here-are-10-things-we-need-to-do-1.4382748%3fmode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Piehead

Did Ciara confirm why she legged it from Twitter?

Piehead wrote: »
    Did Ciara confirm why she legged it from Twitter?

No but she’s in the Irish Times again telling us how brave she is. It’s a Noel Kelly puff piece more suited to the Indo, but somehow made it into the paper of record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

No but she’s in the Irish Times again telling us how brave she is. It’s a Noel Kelly puff piece more suited to the Indo, but somehow made it into the paper of record.

Totally trying to soften the hard edge she generally portrays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

Just read the article and did not see this anywhere in it.

Maybe you could point out where she is telling us how brave she is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

That's open to debate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

Why does this Noel Kelly chap have such sway in Irish media? Practically every presenter on RTE on his books. I never heard of him only on this forum.

Cole wrote: »
    That's open to debate.

Fair enough. But compared to its competition it is.

Why does this Noel Kelly chap have such sway in Irish media? Practically every presenter on RTE on his books. I never heard of him only on this forum.

He knows where the bodies are buried. He also employs the children of RTÉ “stars”, who of course got their job on merit and not because of their surname..........

Oh did I say that aloud?

Fair enough. But compared to its competition it is.

I'd still debate that but, then again, I'm losing respect for the Indo...are you listening Philip Ryan?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

He knows where the bodies are buried. He also employs the children of RTÉ “stars”, who of course got their job on merit and not because of their surname..........

Oh did I say that aloud?

RTEs recruitment really has an appalling lack of transparency. You rarely hear of jobs open to the public and their jobs available on the website rarely has anything in it. All behind closed doors, usual Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Kelly was not on the radio this morning? She has been terrible on the "text us your opinion at 30c per text" show.
    She needs to get back to " mid - morning matters" soon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Traumadoc wrote: »
    Kelly was not on the radio this morning? She has been terrible on the "text us your opinion at 30c per text" show.
    She needs to get back to " mid - morning matters" soon.

Jess Kelly also referenced her former gin loving colleague. Was Thad Ciara? She gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

RTEs recruitment really has an appalling lack of transparency. You rarely hear of jobs open to the public and their jobs available on the website rarely has anything in it. All behind closed doors, usual Ireland!

Old boys and girls club, it was ever so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭hamburgham

godtabh wrote: »
    Jess Kelly also referenced her former gin loving colleague. Was Thad Ciara? She gone

What did she say? I missed it.

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »

Is she gone from the show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Is she gone from the show?

Doubt it unfortunately I'm sure it would be a lot more press about it. She was going on about herself again a couple days ago in the IT.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/parenting/ciara-kelly-i-was-pregnant-unmarried-a-junior-doctor-and-i-got-old-school-comments-1.4386299

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Absolute melt on there wanting the side gates to the Phoenix park closed again. I’m happy to have no cars in there if there are no bikes too. Seen many more wreck less cyclists than drivers in That park this year.

I assume those of you who were defending brave Ciara’s stance against lockdown vs other European countries are having second thoughts now as the case numbers are showing signs of decline here and cases in Europe rise dramatically and more countries are moving into lockdown?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I assume those of you who were defending brave Ciara’s stance against lockdown vs other European countries are having second thoughts now as the case numbers are showing signs of decline here and cases in Europe rise dramatically and more countries are moving into lockdown?

It does look like that we were somewhat ahead of the pack in our actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

So, where is she anyway? Maybe on "Gardening Leave"?

Azatadine wrote: »

Still off twitter as well.

Azatadine wrote: »

Probably on annual leave like thousands of people last week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭prunudo

Probably on annual leave like thousands of people last week?

And probably off Twitter because she got hounded by trolls for daring to voice a differing opinion. They'll probably have a piece about the toxicity of twitter in coming days.

prunudo wrote: »
    And probably off Twitter because she got hounded by trolls for daring to voice a differing opinion. They'll probably have a piece about the toxicity of twitter in coming days.

Well the doxxing she did is probably part of the reason. She got destroyed over it and rightly so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭prunudo

Well the doxxing she did is probably part of the reason. She got destroyed over it and rightly so.

I don't know the full story on that but the bits i picked up here seemed to be trial by social media.

prunudo wrote: »
    I don't know the full story on that but the bits i picked up here seemed to be trial by social media.

Go and read up on it. She very publicly ridiculed and hung a young lady out to dry.

giphy.gif

For younger viewers, that's a gif taken from the video for Icelandic pop queen Bjork's "It's oh so quiet". Great video if you haven't seen it btw.

I did smile to myself when brave Ciara was recently dubbed "the Irish Katie Hopkins". Great to see that comparison being brought to life in reverse now with the real Katie rubbishing the UK lockdown. Eventually we might get to the stage where they're calling Katie Hopkins "the English Ciara Kelly".

Not really. It’s good to have different opinions getting airtime in any democracy. Otherwise you end up with groupthink which has caused all sorts of ****e over the years.

I’d still commend Kelly on having the balls to voice a different opinion. Whether or not she proves to be right is not the point.

Not really. It’s good to have different opinions getting airtime in any democracy. Otherwise you end up with groupthink which has caused all sorts of ****e over the years.

I’d still commend Kelly on having the balls to voice a different opinion. Whether or not she proves to be right is not the point.

Good point, it's only people's lives at stake after all.:rolleyes:

Katie Hopkins voices different opinions too. I see why the comparison was made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

TYFYS, Mr ButtersSuki.

Certainly not. Numbers were falling anyway, this lockdown is nothing like the first one. People are getting on with their lives, just massive massive unemployment figures and a great big Covid hangover ahead.

• Advertisement

Looking forward to hearing Ciara’s perspective on #leogate. Hope she is outspoken as ever, her views as an ex GP will be relevant.

Certainly not. Numbers were falling anyway, this lockdown is nothing like the first one. People are getting on with their lives, just massive massive unemployment figures and a great big Covid hangover ahead.

Lol @ “numbers were falling anyway”. Seriously? You’re going to try and claim that? That numbers were falling when lockdown was imposed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Looking forward to hearing Ciara’s perspective on #leogate. Hope she is outspoken as ever, her views as an ex GP will be relevant.

I can’t help feeling that her outspokenness is not much more than a ratings shtick. It certainly was on the lunch time show. Ciara has a rant and then promptly says text in your opinion 53106. They all do this, it actually one of the things I dislike about newstalk as their constantly trying to hack out the next faux controversy. The best shows on newstalk is the 2hours Vincent Walle on Sunday followed closely by Moncrief and then Pat Kenny, who is starting to lose his edge.

With watching so much sport across many codes (that’s she and Quinny just discussed) :rolleyes: I doubt Ciara had time to catch up on #leotheleak.

Can’t wait to hear Quinny’s analysis of clichés about the rugby at 8:25.

Ciara has a rant and then promptly says text in your opinion 53106. They all do this, it actually one of the things I dislike about newstalk as their constantly trying to hack out the next faux controversy.

Sure that is there entire business model. One a couple of occasions I had texts typed out and then I actually thought about it. Then I just deleted it. At least with clickbait I'm not out of pocket.

I can’t help feeling that her outspokenness is not much more than a ratings shtick. It certainly was on the lunch time show. Ciara has a rant and then promptly says text in your opinion 53106. They all do this, it actually one of the things I dislike about newstalk as their constantly trying to hack out the next faux controversy. The best shows on newstalk is the 2hours Vincent Walle on Sunday followed closely by Moncrief and then Pat Kenny, who is starting to lose his edge.

For the most part I agree with you. In the echo chamber That is the current Irish media I appreciate any different opinion, their texts at 30 cent have always been annoying.

• Advertisement

Lol @ “numbers were falling anyway”. Seriously? You’re going to try and claim that? That numbers were falling when lockdown was imposed?

You asked a question I answered it, move on lol.

You asked a question I answered it, move on lol.

Your answer is factually incorrect (and laughably so), but hey, just proceed as if it were fact and carry on there as if you won the argument. :rolleyes:

For the most part I agree with you. In the echo chamber That is the current Irish media I appreciate any different opinion, their texts at 30 cent have always been annoying.

The irony

The best shows on newstalk is the 2hours Vincent Walle on Sunday followed closely by Moncrief and then Pat Kenny, who is starting to lose his edge.

He's very good...you can actually learn something listening to that show.

Good point, it's only people's lives at stake after all.:rolleyes:

Ah stop will you. There is a coherent argument for having a less strict lockdown. Some other countries are doing it. In any decent society, you have a discussion around this and give a voice to all the arguments. Not just shut down the other side because you don't agree with them.

You are aware that a good percentage of this country don't agree with locking down like we have? Giving voice to that argument at least allows those people's argument to be aired and debunked if it genuinely is the wrong thing to do.
    Katie Hopkins voices different opinions too. I see why the comparison was made.

That's an awful post. Next stop...Godwinsville.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement