Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballygunner St. Mary's Primary School Junior Infants intake

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

HarryHump wrote: »
    Its not all siblings who have gotten in. I know of a child who has no siblings, is not even in the parish and who has been offered a place for next year ahead of children who applied over 6 months before them!

That selection criteria they say they have is bull. The priority criteria should begin with 'Who you know'!

Our kids are also in Ballygunner, our first getting in on the second round of offers a few years back. But I agree with others who say there are better schools out there.

If this is the case then it really is an absolute disgrace and I believe the school can be sued for not following their own admission policy, thanks for highlighting this...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Its not all siblings who have gotten in. I know of a child who has no siblings, is not even in the parish and who has been offered a place for next year ahead of children who applied over 6 months before them!

That selection criteria they say they have is bull. The priority criteria should begin with 'Who you know'!

Our kids are also in Ballygunner, our first getting in on the second round of offers a few years back. But I agree with others who say there are better schools out there.

That was very much the case in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

reni10 wrote: »
    Ballygunner and pretty much all the schools in the area have the parish rule, here is the Ballygunner policy and at number 3 is the parish rule.

I think it should have been amended having number 2 as being siblings of existing pupils that are in the parish then the parish and then siblings who live outside the parish.

Admission Criteria
    1. Children of school staff
    2. Brothers & sisters of pupils
    3. Children whose principal residence is in the Parish

If the numbers of children who satisfy any of the above criteria exceed the number of places available, places will be allocated in the following order:
    a) Children who are baptised Catholics
    b) Order of registration of names

Was this the policy when you put your childs name down for this school?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

reni10 wrote: »
    If this is the case then it really is an absolute disgrace and I believe the school can be sued for not following their own admission policy, thanks for highlighting this...

$$$ :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Coatsalcarrot

We are looking at other schools in the area
    Faithlegg?
    Killea?
    Newtown?
    Do you know much about these schools?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I know a few families with children in Newtown and they've very happy with the school and teachers, I collect a child from there and it would be my first choice. They've built an extension over the summer so there may be spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Other schools in and around that area which people will use, but covering a couple of parishes:

Ballygunner Gaelscoil (Co-ed, 214 pupils)
    Scoil Naisiunta Ballygunner (Co-ed, 669 pupils)
    St John of God (Girls, 260 pupils)
    St Declans (Boys, 439 pupils)
    Waterpark (Co-ed, 237 pupils)
    The Model School (Co-ed, 124 pupils)
    Newtown (Co-ed, 120)
    Ursuline (Girls, 699)
    Scoil Lorcain (Boys, 370 pupils)

That's school places for the guts of 3,100 kids between 4-12 within 5k of Ballygunner.

If you took that cluster of schools surrounding DLS college, you've almost 1,200 kids attending five different primary schools within a few hundred yards of each other. If you took the secondary schools into account, you've an additional 1,800 kids coming and going every day, as well as the teachers. You'd wonder how they all got planning permission back in the day - if there was any!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Coatsalcarrot

Wow. Do you know when this family would of applied?

Advertisement