Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Insurance for age 16

• 24-11-2014 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi does anyone know in and around how much insurance would be for a 16 year old on a ns1 80cc bike with a learner permit?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

Jeez that's atough one.... Better off asking the ins co,s yourself or online at Liberty ins site. Use your mobile number with a digit changed or you,lol be plagued with calls from them! Make sure you check the box that says ibt done, then check what category your licence is/will be. Don't think it'll be cheap tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 dean16

serious3 wrote: »
    Jeez that's atough one.... Better off asking the ins co,s yourself or online at Liberty ins site. Use your mobile number with a digit changed or you,lol be plagued with calls from them! Make sure you check the box that says ibt done, then check what category your licence is/will be. Don't think it'll be cheap tho!

Thanks already tries to fill it out on liberty but it won't work. I rang them up and they said it's because of my age. Really just looking for a ball park figure so I know if its worth my while doing the theory test and getting my licence or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

That's a dose, I'd go and get the licence and theory anyway, do the ibt stuff on the instructors bike that way you don't have to worry about ins, when that's done get on the phone and try to talk to a human being! I know it's a pain in the tits but it will all be worth it!

serious3 wrote: »
    That's a dose, I'd go and get the licence and theory anyway, do the ibt stuff on the instructors bike that way you don't have to worry about ins, when that's done get on the phone and try to talk to a human being! I know it's a pain in the tits but it will all be worth it!

I'll do that so thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I believe you are restricted to a max 50cc engine if you are only 16.

• Advertisement

I believe you are restricted to a max 50cc engine if you are only 16.

No I looked it up your aloud anything up to a 125 as long as its the rite power to wait ratio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

dean16 wrote: »
    No I looked it up your aloud anything up to a 125 as long as its the rite power to wait ratio

Quite right, but the NS1 is a sporty little thing and in practice you'll find it bloody expensive to insure. You might be better off building up a year or two's NCB on some sort of scooter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

It'll be easier to insure a varadero 125. You'll also have a much better bike.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Quite right, but the NS1 is a sporty little thing and in practice you'll find it bloody expensive to insure. You might be better off building up a year or two's NCB on some sort of scooter.

Ye i know a scooter would be a lot cheaper but I'd like to start of on something I like

Ye i know a scooter would be a lot cheaper but I'd like to start of on something I like

'Tis well I know the feeling, youngfella! :D

• Advertisement

'Tis well I know the feeling, youngfella! :D

Its shocking how much it costs there should be a test done by the insurance company to see how good you are the bike and your insurance should be based on that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

no, that wouldn't make any sense. Its like the actual test, you could be brilliant during your test and then go back to your same old bad habits.

RossieMan wrote: »
    no, that wouldn't make any sense. Its like the actual test, you could be brilliant during your test and then go back to your same old bad habits.

Repeat the test every 3 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

or you could just follow the same rules as everyone else has and buy a bike you can actually insure?

Its shocking how much it costs there should be a test done by the insurance company to see how good you are the bike and your insurance should be based on that

Liberty do a rider skills assessment, I'm sure some others do too. That might help.

Liberty do a rider skills assessment, I'm sure some others do too. That might help.

Jesus that's good yo know thanks a million

Jesus that's good yo know thanks a million

No bother biy. Here, Dave Lyons has some info about it here, that'll start you off. Best of luck. ;)

http://www.motorbiketraining.net/aon.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

My Insurance was 750 euro with liberty when I was 16. Did IBT and got Level 3 in the Skills Assessment.

They do pay monthly as well, so it might be easier for you. After a year it will go down with your no claims and same for when you do your test etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

it cost me £500 for a 50cc scooter when aged 16 so it's not as bad as insuring a car for the first time. If you take out insurance now and keepbrenewing it you'll have 5 years NCB and hopefully a full licence when ur 21 which will save you a fortune in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 LiamLad

I only got insurance about a month ago with liberty... I'm 16 too but i'm starting on a virago 125. the insurance was 990 euro basically a grand

• Advertisement

LiamLad wrote: »
    I only got insurance about a month ago with liberty... I'm 16 too but i'm starting on a virago 125. the insurance was 990 euro basically a grand

Did you have ibt done and get a skills assesment? 990 seems alot for a virago 125

Nope i didnt have the ibt done......actually have it booked for this weekend!
    And i was never asked had i it done when applying for the insurance?

Nope i didnt have the ibt done......actually have it booked for this weekend!
    And i was never asked had i it done when applying for the insurance?

Sorry, you usually get the skills assessment as part of the IBT and Liberty ask you if you have that. If you do it brings your Premium down, It brought mine down by around €160.

Sorry, you usually get the skills assessment as part of the IBT and Liberty ask you if you have that. If you do it brings your Premium down, It brought mine down by around €160.

Hmm could i use that next year when i renew my insurance??

Hmm could i use that next year when i renew my insurance??

Yeah you should be able to, or you should be able to amend your details and add it in, or ring them up, you will have to post it off to them.

You'll get two copies of it off your instructor, one for you and one for liberty.

Not all Instructors do it, some charge extra so your better off finding out off your instructor.

I think my instuctor does it:D
    Since i have paid off the insurance to liberty would i be sent back money if i give in a rider assessment or would it be more suited to hand it in when i renew?
    Thanks for this info!

I think my instuctor does it:D
    Since i have paid off the insurance to liberty would i be sent back money if i give in a rider assessment or would it be more suited to hand it in when i renew?
    Thanks for this info!

That's good, I'm not sure what Liberty's procedure is, if your paying monthly the monthly payments might go down, if you paid in full then I'm not sure.

Best off ringing up liberty and asking them, If they ask say you did your IBT and now your going to do a Skills Assessment as you can do it on it's own also. Don't say you haven't your IBT done or they will void your insurance.

Have you been driving on the road without IBT? It's a bit of a risk, and without it your learners permit isn't valid, but fair play for booking it, trust me you wont regret it, I learned a lot from it and its great fun.

I'll give them a buzz so when i get the ibt done won't mention it but i'll say i did a assessment

Yah have been riding the bike 2 school for about half a month with no ibt done, Luckily never got caught but i'm not risking it anymore!

Actually turned out pretty good 2 as a new classmate is now going me for the IBT on saturday, never knew the lad was into bikes atall and were getting a discount for using our own bikes and gear!!

Advertisement