Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NBP: National Broadband Plan Announced

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Anyone know hi ow to work out what exchange I am on ? I'm near a few of them but probably not the ones listed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Anyone know hi ow to work lit what exchange I am on ? I'm near a few of them but probably not the ones listed.

Wrong thread mate

Wrong thread mate

Eh ?

Don't think so

Eh ?

Don't think so

This thread is about the proposed NBP, the thread you want is one of the ones about the Eircom efibre/ftth rollouts or the direct to exchange threads.
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057262696/67/
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057315844/44/
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056919149/168/

This thread is about the proposed NBP, the thread you want is one of the ones about the Eircom efibre/ftth rollouts or the direct to exchange threads.
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057262696/67/
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057315844/44/
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056919149/168/

Sorry,I was specifically referring to the post about the eircom rural ftth anouncement listed in this thread. The announcement lists a number of rural exchanges, and I want to find our if I am on one of them

• Advertisement

Apologies, I thought you randomly wandered in here looking for info on the Eircom rollout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

Sorry,I was specifically referring to the post about the eircom rural ftth anouncement listed in this thread. The announcement lists a number of rural exchanges, and I want to find our if I am on one of them
    wexford:Adamstown,bree,ballymore,castletowngeoghan,clonroche,inch,monamolin,taghmon,.Do live in any of these areas?

Apologies, I thought you randomly wandered in here looking for info on the Eircom rollout

no, worries, just found out im on [RSU] CASTLEMARTYR AXE

I am actually smack in between the ballycotton and ballymcoda areas listed, but connected to the castlemartyr exchange :-(

I assume when they list those areas, they are talking about those that serve off of those exchanges, not those in the general geographical area ?

rob808 wrote: »
    wexford:Adamstown,bree,ballymore,castletowngeoghan,clonroche,inch,monamolin,taghmon,.Do live in any of these areas?

nope, im an ex wexfordman :-) (from adamstown originally)

I live in between the ballymacoda and ballycotton areas listed, but I am served off of the castlemartyr exchange, so that would appear to rule me out :-(

Bit of a concern as well, as that rollout in those areas will swipe a fair chunk of customers from my wisp, hope he survives.

nope, im an ex wexfordman :-) (from adamstown originally)

I live in between the ballymacoda and ballycotton areas listed, but I am served off of the castlemartyr exchange, so that would appear to rule me out :-(

Bit of a concern as well, as that rollout in those areas will swipe a fair chunk of customers from my wisp, hope he survives.
    I think wisp will be ok they just have to change there business model and start selling FTTH they have 4 and half year because it won't be finished till 2020.

• Advertisement

The only downside to this move by Eircom have they destroy the chances of the other 460,000 homes by reducing the money what it going to be now.It costing Eircom 300,000 euro to do it.Im wondering what the government going to offer now it won't be 512m so what will the new figure be hopefully 400m anything less were probably screwed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

dbit wrote:
    IT seems to me the likely hood of being able to provide 30MB minimum will come from 4g. Getting 50MB down and 20MB up on my mobile in macroom, Ballincollig , model farm road areas.

A mast for every 10 or so users ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

The problem is that the investment is being made where there is already adequate coverage. What's needed now is the investment more forward thinking countries have made, where rural areas get fiber too, rather than small incremental improvements in what's available in cities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

bpmurray wrote: »
    The problem is that the investment is being made where there is already adequate coverage.
    That's not true - even within my family some live in two different exchange areas on this list without any DSL at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 Bill Shock

The only downside to this move by Eircom have they destroy the chances of the other 460,000 homes by reducing the money what it going to be now.It costing Eircom 300,000 euro to do it.Im wondering what the government going to offer now it won't be 512m so what will the new figure be hopefully 400m anything less were probably screwed.

In the general euphoria that has greeted this news some important issues seem to be lost on posters.

There seems to be an assumption that the price for the Govt of paying for the NBP has now been reduced. I'm not buying that. Here's why I think it's not all good news.

Following eircom's land-grab (and that's what it is) the remaining bits of the DCENR Amber areas are not exactly eye-watering for rival bidders. They are likely to be the most remote and thinly populated parts of the country and the cost of connection per premises is likely to be very high. If you were SIRO would you be bothered your backside? Furthermore, does anyone know if eircom are actually connecting individual homes or just building out fibre along the roads?

If there is no competition in the actual bidding process then eircom will once again screw the State and consumers....they can simply name their price and Govt will have to accept it (if their promises of connectivity are to be kept). Eircom basically have the Govt by the balls now.

Add to this the "lost" revenue to other bidders from the 300,000 premises captured by eircom today and the attractiveness of participating in a bidding process becomes even less interesting. You can be sure that SIRO or any other entity thinking of pricing a bid will now be having 2nd thoughts....at the very least there is a strong possibility their bid price will have to increase as a result of today's announcement (I realise it sounds counter-intuitive but its probable this will be the outcome).

Eircom have in many ways pulled a master-stroke here...they've caught everyone unawares. Interesting to know what industry and even Govt really think of what they have done. Interesting also to see does it cause Govt to pause or slow down NBP process. While it's good news (my own house will benefit from this) I'm not sure of its wider benefits and whether it will end up causing more difficulties down the line. It's eircom acting like a typical incumbent company and suiting itself...this is not being done to benefit consumers or help the Govt...this is designed to fend off the very real threat posed by the likes of SIRO and just might end up costing the State more money in the long run to solve the rual broadband problems.

Bill Shock wrote: »
    In the general euphoria that has greeted this news some important issues seem to be lost on posters.

There seems to be an assumption that the price for the Govt of paying for the NBP has now been reduced. I'm not buying that. Here's why I think it's not all good news.

Following eircom's land-grab (and that's what it is) the remaining bits of the DCENR Amber areas are not exactly eye-watering for rival bidders. They are likely to be the most remote and thinly populated parts of the country and the cost of connection per premises is likely to be very high. If you were SIRO would you be bothered your backside? Furthermore, does anyone know if eircom are actually connecting individual homes or just building out fibre along the roads?

If there is no competition in the actual bidding process then eircom will once again screw the State and consumers....they can simply name their price and Govt will have to accept it (if their promises of connectivity are to be kept). Eircom basically have the Govt by the balls now.

Add to this the "lost" revenue to other bidders from the 300,000 premises captured by eircom today and the attractiveness of participating in a bidding process becomes even less interesting. You can be sure that SIRO or any other entity thinking of pricing a bid will now be having 2nd thoughts....at the very least there is a strong possibility their bid price will have to increase as a result of today's announcement (I realise it sounds counter-intuitive but its probable this will be the outcome).

Eircom have in many ways pulled a master-stroke here...they've caught everyone unawares. Interesting to know what industry and even Govt really think of what they have done. Interesting also to see does it cause Govt to pause or slow down NBP process. While it's good news (my own house will benefit from this) I'm not sure of its wider benefits and whether it will end up causing more difficulties down the line. It's eircom acting like a typical incumbent company and suiting itself...this is not being done to benefit consumers or help the Govt...this is designed to fend off the very real threat posed by the likes of SIRO and just might end up costing the State more money in the long run to solve the rual broadband problems.
    yea think the rest of us 460,000 are screwed by this but think ESB and Vodafone will still bid for 460,000 because there connecting another 300 towns and village surely they could use them some how for NBP.The goverment could use this to greatly reduce the money leaving the rest of us in the cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Wonder if anyone in Eircom has had an inside leg/Gander at zoning and planning laws or applications for same . The small hit exchanges listed would imply to me from the geographic sense that these areas are green lighted in some way for residential sprawl possibly. ??

Siro were at a meeting in June 3 in Brussels hosted by Vodafone show them what Siro could do for rural Ireland to the EU and Meps.I wonder what there think today after Eircom announcement but still think ESB and Vodafone Are still going to go after NBP 460,000 homes it still a lot of house with there 350 towns they would still have a big network.It smart move by Eircom but will they deliver plus those 300,000 house be out of NBP if it doesn't work out but hope that doesn't happen.The smart move goverment could do is keep it at 512m so if anything happen they be perpared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Following eircom's land-grab (and that's what it is) the remaining bits of the DCENR Amber areas are not exactly eye-watering for rival bidders. They are likely to be the most remote and thinly populated parts of the country and the cost of connection per premises is likely to be very high. If you were SIRO would you be bothered your backside?
    That's the point. Eircom are really reducing the investment case for SIRO, and you have to say -well played.
    Furthermore, does anyone know if eircom are actually connecting individual homes or just building out fibre along the roads?
    Yeah, good point. They can list Blackwater Valley, but what does that mean. There are very few houses close to that exchange, but they have to run through there if they intend to service Sneem.
    You can be sure that SIRO or any other entity thinking of pricing a bid will now be having 2nd thoughts....at the very least there is a strong possibility their bid price will have to increase as a result of today's announcement (I realise it sounds counter-intuitive but its probable this will be the outcome).
    2nd thoughts yes, higher bid, no. SIRO are really in a corner now, and whatever business case they had made for piggybacking on their infrastructure is certainly made worse by these plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

Just onto this now lads. Offaly done very well from this move by Eircom. My village on the list.....roll on FTTH. Odd to think small rural villages could be Seoul standard in a couple of years. Hopefully a huge shot in the arm for new business and inward investment for us down the country.

• Advertisement

KOR101 wrote: »
    That's the point. Eircom are really reducing the investment case for SIRO, and you have to say -well played.

Yeah, good point. They can list Blackwater Valley, but what does that mean. There are very few houses close to that exchange, but they have to run through there if they intend to service Sneem.

2nd thoughts yes, higher bid, no. SIRO are really in a corner now, and whatever business case they had made for piggybacking on their infrastructure is certainly made worse by these plans.
    Why would you think Siro pull out yes Eircom took some of the NBP but there still 460,000 that a lot plus there lot of county Eircom didn't take like Meath,Louth,Sligo,westmeath .They mainly look after Mayo,cork,Galway,Limerick Kerry.I think Siro be ok they just have to forget the big area Eircom choose and look after the areas Eircom couldn't be bother with.I'm disappointed with the a amount they pick with Meath and poor Louth.They don't have to piggyback ESB has there own network of electricity poles which they would use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

God the Irish can be really glass half empty people when we want. There is no bad news here. Every metre of fibre pushed deeper into rural areas brings it closer to premises not currently getting it. It doesn't decrease anyone's chances of FTTH, quite the opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭medoc

murphaph wrote: »
    God the Irish can be really glass half empty people when we want. There is no bad news here. Every metre of fibre pushed deeper into rural areas brings it closer to premises not currently getting it. It doesn't decrease anyone's chances of FTTH, quite the opposite.

That would be my hope too. Although what's left would be the one off houses with maybe anywhere up to a few km's between them. They will be the most expensive to do and would have taken the most of the NBP money. If eircom and Siro do all the houses they promise in the towns and now the more rural areas announced today it will make it a more politically unfavourable decision if the government doesn't intervene in the houses that are left. Exciting times ahead and I'm more positive about getting good broadband now than ever before

Well it Eircom that have to look after those house and siro at moment just looking after towns and villages.well if gona cost more for the other 460,000 shouldn't the goverment keep it at 512m and the winning bidder or bidders has to match it.The problem is we don't know what it is doh they said it save the tax payer 100m so 400m and that make it 800m for NBP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

What really grinds my gears is to think both Eircom and SIRO could be wasting a fortune building fibre competing against each other in urban areas whilst the rural country needs that investment. I have always been of the opinion that all Telcos infrastructure should be entirely state owned and the biggest mistake in the history of the state was the privatisation of Eircom because of this. Eircoms announcement is welcome but the NBP should still go ahead and get the fibre into the rural places. Whether it be by Eircom or Siro who cares once fibre gets in?

Where I live there is some houses served which are nearly 10kms from the exchange which will soon be eVDSL, if this house at the side of the mountain wants fibre will they get it? That's my concern and I hope they just don't plan to run within a a short radius of the trunk fibre because if it is then rural Ireland will still be in the doldrums because of the bungalow blitz and lack of any proper planning which saw houses sprout up like mushrooms in the country whilst most rural villages are ghost towns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

In general that's just not true. I've written it all earlier... These exchanges are often extremely isolated. People, look at the list and see that there is a huge gulf between the 66 towns and the list of places published today. With exchanges numering thousands of lines not currently included in FTTH rollouts, or lots of rural areas that are too far away from their local cabinet.
    There are around 15000 houses in Louth outside of the 66 towns announced and after today, it's still at nearly 15,000. Many (most) larger villages and small towns in the country have been left waiting for FTTH, and some won't see the VDSL cab rollout either. Eircom have, by and large, picked the smallest and what I had presumed were the least uneconomic places in this investment.
    With the exception of Louth, I agree!

With the exception of Louth, I agree!
    So you think this is bad news for Louth?

Louth, like any other county, is just an arbitrary line on the map drawn by the British a couple of hundred years ago. It makes no practical difference to you even if 99% of Louth gets done if your place doesn't get done.

Any fibre expansion is good news as it leaves less to do overall.

Louth, like any other county, is just an arbitrary line on the map drawn by the British a couple of hundred years ago. It makes no practical difference to you even if 99% of Louth gets done if your place doesn't get done.

I Know it good news for those people on the list but it made NBP a mess now Eircom have to win it or gona be bad for rest of us.I wonder now will siro even bother with NBP.

Nah, just don't think its particularly good news. And for its size, Meath has a fairly low proportion of exchanges selected - if you want to look at the cúige. Out of what, 15,000 houses not in the rollout, probably half of which have no VDSL, less than a hundred will benefit. It's a bit of a joke in comparison to every other part of Ireland.

• Advertisement

I Know it good news for those people on the list but it made NBP a mess now Eircom have to win it or gona be bad for rest of us.I wonder now will siro even bother with NBP.
    It's not just good news for those on the list. It's good news full stop. What do you mean the "NBP is a mess now"?. The government either wants to roll out FTTH to all premises or it doesn't. Would the NBP be better placed if the existing urban centres didn't have broadband either?

The less money the state needs to spend on the NBP the more likely it is to happen. the fewer premises involved, the cheaper the overall cost will be, even if per line it is higher, due to the more remote nature of the remaining premises.

Pushing this fibre into these very rural areas will increase the fibre density enormously and this will reduce the cost of the NBP of course.

It's not just good news for those on the list. It's good news full stop. What do you mean the "NBP is a mess now"?. The government either wants to roll out FTTH to all premises or it doesn't. Would the NBP be better placed if the existing urban centres didn't have broadband either?

What's happened is Eircom have cherry picked the most profitable areas leaving what's left for the NBP harder for anyone to make money on.

Was a very smart move by Eircom, means there's more chance of them getting the NBP, and less chance of anyone else bothering to tender, they'll not bother if they can't make money from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

What's happened is Eircom have cherry picked the most profitable areas leaving what's left for the NBP harder for anyone to make money on.

Customers in those areas would still exist regardless of eircom's move. NBP areas were going to be subsidised by the govt anyway. Now they have a smaller area to subsidise which make NBP more viable with the money they have set aside. This is positive for the tax payer. The more commercial build the better.

The less money the state needs to spend on the NBP the more likely it is to happen. the fewer premises involved, the cheaper the overall cost will be, even if per line it is higher, due to the more remote nature of the remaining premises.

Pushing this fibre into these very rural areas will increase the fibre density enormously and this will reduce the cost of the NBP of course.
    it make less attractive for other bidders and as you said the cost will go up now.The big problem is our goverment dragging the NBP out and Eircom smartly grap the areas that be cheaply to do compared to the hardest making it more expensive now for other bidder to be bother with the remaining only maybe wisp be interested now.I really think same but a lot of other poster said make sense and siro was the best pick for NBP and Eircom knew this given why they did this and now siro probably won't be bother at all now.

Was a very smart move by Eircom, means there's more chance of them getting the NBP, and less chance of anyone else bothering to tender, they'll not bother if they can't make money from it.
    They aren't even the most "profitable" areas though. Take a look on google maps at some of the places listed...

I agree this was a largely strategic move from Eircom but I do not agree that the end result will be to the detriment of the remaining NBP intervention areas.

The whole point of the NBP is that there is no money to be made from at least some premises and these premises would be subsidised by the rest society through the NBP. You could extrapolate this out a bit to see the logical fallacy: If Eircom had announced not 300k premises but 700k, leaving just 60k in the NBP, would people be saying that these 60k premises now have absolutely no chance of FTTH even though the overall cost to the taxpayer just fell significantly?

The fact we're even talking about FTTH to these mega isolated premises shows how far we've come, yet still we doubt. Time for some optimism folks it really is.

It's a land grab. We're still waiting for Eircom to enable areas announced years ago. There are lots of new questions to be asked. Who's going to hold them to this proposed rollout? If these areas are excluded from NBP and Eircom don't bother doing them what happens?

• Advertisement

They aren't even the most "profitable" areas though. Take a look on google maps at some of the places listed...

I agree this was a largely strategic move from Eircom but I do not agree that the end result will be to the detriment of the remaining NBP intervention areas.

The whole point of the NBP is that there is no money to be made from at least some premises and these premises would be subsidised by the rest society through the NBP. You could extrapolate this out a bit to see the logical fallacy: If Eircom had announced not 300k premises but 700k, leaving just 60k in the NBP, would people be saying that these 60k premises now have absolutely no chance of FTTH even though the overall cost to the taxpayer just fell significantly?

The fact we're even talking about FTTH to these mega isolated premises shows how far we've come, yet still we doubt. Time for some optimism folks it really is.
    It true goverment paying for NBP but now we don't know what it is now after this announcement.It was 512m and Eircom said they saved the tax payer 100m but the goverment Could even more greatly reduced it leaving it less like to get best broadband for remaining 460,000. We won't know now till map updated and goverment say how much it cost.

It's a land grab.
    It is. It is a land grab of land (almost) nobody on this forum (including me) thought would be worth grabbing! We should be delighted. Eircom seems to have learned a lot from their Belcara trials and the cost of delivering FTTH is presumably actually lower than they once thought.

Presumably the exact same rules will apply to these areas as the other areas declared already as commercially viable by the various operators. I presume there will be the same obligation on them to complete here as there.

It is. It is a land grab of land (almost) nobody on this forum (including me) thought would be worth grabbing! We should be delighted. Eircom seems to have learned a lot from their Belcara trials and the cost of delivering FTTH is presumably actually lower than they once thought.

Presumably the exact same rules will apply to these areas as the other areas declared already as commercially viable by the various operators. I presume there will be the same obligation on them to complete here as there.
    Many of these places on the list, like Tamney in Donegal, serve among the most remote parts of Ireland. Places where regular analogue phone lines on 24 AWG copper would start to sound awfully quiet without a pairgain or loading coil. And one-off housing and small clusters of houses are the norm in most of that area.

It's precisely from looking at places like that that make me wonder why the rest are "economically unviable for eircom". They have picked some places with the higest rollout costs per customer in Ireland. To be honest, if the likes of Lobinstown with no fibre backhaul and long, disperse lines is selected I don't know why e.g. Athboy wouldn't also be included. The govt. seriously need to enforce the blue/orange areas on their NBP map so that this rollout is not a matador's cloak for NBP targets.

Many of these places on the list, like Tamney in Donegal, serve among the most remote parts of Ireland. Places where regular analogue phone lines on 24 AWG copper would start to sound awfully quiet without a pairgain or loading coil. And one-off housing and small clusters of houses are the norm in most of that area.

It's precisely from looking at places like that that make me wonder why the rest are "economically unviable for eircom". They have picked some places with the higest rollout costs per customer in Ireland. To be honest, if the likes of Lobinstown with no fibre backhaul and long, disperse lines is selected I don't know why e.g. Athboy wouldn't also be included. The govt. seriously need to enforce the blue/orange areas on their NBP map so that this rollout is not a matador's cloak for NBP targets.
    They are gona update map And in July then announce there plans and then NBP be up for sale by end of this year.

They are gona update map And in July then announce there plans and then NBP be up for sale by end of this year.
    It's mad to think that somewhere like Rossoulty exchange in Tipperary will have Fibre to the Home before Thurles. And I've been in Erril in Laois to, it's absolutely tiny and surrounded in most directions by Bord na Mona bogs. A rural but more densely-populated exchange area nearby in Tipp (Clonmore) is getting nothing.

• Advertisement

It's mad to think that somewhere like Rossoulty exchange in Tipperary will have Fibre to the Home before Thurles. And I've been in Erril in Laois to, it's absolutely tiny and surrounded in most directions by Bord na Mona bogs. A rural but more densely-populated exchange area nearby in Tipp (Clonmore) is getting nothing.
    That crazy are you on the list?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It is amusing that for years people in rural areas have been complaining about Urban areas getting high speed broadband in the form of Docsis 3 and VDSL.

Now we have announcement that some of most extreme rural areas will be getting the fastest FTTH broadband even ahead of urban areas and we still have people complaining!!!

The reality is people will always complain if their own particular area isn't getting the service. But people need to be logical and step back from their own personal circumstances and realise that this is very good news. The more fiber in rural Ireland, the better for absolutely everyone. It will improve th quality of WISPs and put pressure on the government and telecos to get FTTH to all the remaining rural areas.

I predict that in a decade from now nearly everyone will have super fast broadband. I never though I'd see that just 3 years ago!

bk wrote: »
    It is amusing that for years people in rural areas have been complaining about Urban areas getting high speed broadband in the form of Docsis 3 and VDSL.

Now we have announcement that some of most extreme rural areas will be getting the fastest FTTH broadband even ahead of urban areas and we still have people complaining!!!

The reality is people will always complain if their own particular area isn't getting the service. But people need to be logical and step back from their own personal circumstances and realise that this is very good news. The more fiber in rural Ireland, the better for absolutely everyone. It will improve th quality of WISPs and put pressure on the government and telecos to get FTTH to all the remaining rural areas.

I predict that in a decade from now nearly everyone will have super fast broadband. I never though I'd see that just 3 years ago!
    The pressure on siro now and less on goverment.we see in July there plan and what be used to reach 460,000.it is good news for those getting it but people not you have to understand the disappointment that now we don't know we're we stand either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Yeah, there is another town close to me that is on the new list. There is a sort of ring around Donegal with this hole/gap in the middle. Unfortunatley I'm in that gap in the middle. I'm about 5km from Letterkenny which is on the initial list. And there was nothing the other direction. Now another town in that gap, 5km the other side of me, is on the new list. So I feel better know that there is a 'base' of sorts on either side of me now instead of wondering if we'd be the last out our way. I think its great seeing these areas being add, whether it benefits me just yet or not. (Hurry up with that map!)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Except from the announcement that doesn't seem to be happening. In fact it seems to be the complete opposite. It seems to be the most extreme rural areas that are getting service from this announcement, not the low hanging fruit just outside well serviced twins that you might expect!

I can think of three reasons why Eircom might be doing this:

1) to do some of rural Ireland, but avoid accusations like the above of them cherry picking the easiest to do areas.

2) to be fair and help out those in the absolutely worst off areas who need better service the most.

3) technical reasons, that these areas have some of the worst quality of copper anywhere, that this copper badly needs to be replaced. That the copper is so bad that the copper can't even handle Eircoms intermediary technology of VDSL.

It might even be the case that the high cost of maintaining this terrible copper is starting to outstrip the cost of just replacing it with FTTH and it's much lower maintenance costs.

I expect it is the 3rd option, that these areas can't handle VDSL and that the copper simply has to be replaced and that in the long term it maybe even economic to do so.

I'm not sure this is the case. You would be right if they were cherry pie cking the best spots, but they aren't. I really don't think these areas would have been attractive to SIRO anyway. In fact Eircom taking these areas out of the NBP might actually make the remaining areas more attractive to both Eircom and SIRO as part of the NBP.

Interesting point that no one has covered yet is this news really wipes out the wisps. The wisps might have been able to sue, delay or water down the NBP. But they can't do a thing against Eircom rolling out FTTH on a commercial basis. Who would continue to stay with a wisp if FTTH is available to them?

Of course the wisp can become a FTTH reseller, but honestly they would stand little chance against the likes of Eircom, Vodafone and Sky reselling FTTH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It might even be the case that the high cost of maintaining this terrible copper is starting to outstrip the cost of just replacing it with FTTH and it's much lower maintenance costs.

Think you're on the money here. The radio exchanges are pretty much useless, fail in high winds and no doubt lead to lots of complaints to comreg (Id be on to them weekly if I was unfortunate enough to live near one). Theyre going to have to get them onto core fibre at some point, may as well be now and reduce the faults load and thus field staff costs. Long term that reduces monthly outgoings and helps profitability. Moat is the former CFO, he's no doubt looking at the balance sheets and playing the long game.

Except from the announcement that doesn't seem to be happening. In fact it seems to be the complete opposite. It seems to be the most extreme rural areas that are getting service from this announcement, not the low hanging fruit just outside well serviced twins that you might expect!

I can think of three reasons why Eircom might be doing this:

1) to do some of rural Ireland, but avoid accusations like the above of them cherry picking the easiest to do areas.

2) to be fair and help out those in the absolutely worst off areas who need better service the most.

3) technical reasons, that these areas have some of the worst quality of copper anywhere, that this copper badly needs to be replaced. That the copper is so bad that the copper can't even handle Eircoms intermediary technology of VDSL.

I expect it is the 3rd option, that these areas can't handle VDSL and that the copper simply has to be replaced and that in the long term it maybe even economic to do so.

I'm not sure this is the case. You would be right if they were cherry pie cking the best spots, but they aren't. I really don't think these areas would have been attractive to SIRO anyway. In fact Eircom taking these areas out of the NBP might actually make the remaining areas more attractive to both Eircom and SIRO as part of the NBP.

Interesting point that no one has covered yet is this news really wipes out the wisps. The wisps might have been able to sue, delay or water down the NBP. But they can't do a thing against Eircom rolling out FTTH on a commercial basis. Who would continue to stay with a wisp if FTTH is available to them?

Of course the wisp can become a FTTH reseller, but honestly they would stand little chance against the likes of Eircom, Vodafone and Sky reselling FTTH.
    Yea nova are gona invested 250k into there network in Limerick,cork,ect.I feel sorry for them with announcement gona hurt them bad.I think some wisp will come together to make FTTH resellers company.it only way I see them survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

chris_ie wrote: »
    Yeah, there is another town close to me that is on the new list. There is a sort of ring around Donegal with this hole/gap in the middle. Unfortunatley I'm in that gap in the middle. I'm about 5km from Letterkenny which is on the initial list. And there was nothing the other direction. Now another town in that gap, 5km the other side of me, is on the new list. So I feel better know that there is a 'base' of sorts on either side of me now instead of wondering if we'd be the last out our way. I think its great seeing these areas being add, whether it benefits me just yet or not. (Hurry up with that map!)
    Chris Churchill is on the NBP map as is. It would make no sense to me if eircom decide to do Churchill with FTTH and not capture all properties on the 10km route in between. It is a relatively densly populated area compared to most rural areas. As far as I can determine the core fibre will have to be run from Letterkenny exchange. It will be a ribbon rollout like Belcarra in Mayo. Moat did say that "Speeds of up to 1Gb/s will be available through the use of ‘end to end’ fibre to the home (FTTH) technology... The homes and businesses to be served by this investment are largely ribbon style developments..." If eircom don't get you NBP will.

PeadarB wrote: »
    Chris Churchill is on the NBP map as is. It would make no sense to me if eircom decide to do Churchill with FTTH and not capture all properties on the 10km route in between. It is a relatively densly populated area compared to most rural areas. As far as I can determine the core fibre will have to be run from Letterkenny exchange. It will be a ribbon rollout like Belcarra in Mayo. Moat did say that "Speeds of up to 1Gb/s will be available through the use of ‘end to end’ fibre to the home (FTTH) technology... The homes and businesses to be served by this investment are largely ribbon style developments..." If eircom don't get you NBP will.
    if he not in the Churchill catchment area can't see him getting It but he definitely most likely get FTTH with NBP given Eircom or siro win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

"Most extreme rural areas" might be slightly exaggerated :P

The new villages announced by eircom have anywhere from 300-1000+ people, so not awfully rural. The ones that are left for the NBP are the most extreme rural areas.

I still think it's amazing to think areas of these sizes will have FTTH in 4-5 years...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement