Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NBP: National Broadband Plan Announced

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

KOR101 wrote: »
    You're right about them not demanding it. Most people on my hill in Kerry rave about how good SCC is, but when I test it, they are only getting about 2mbits. But, the whole point of the plan is to achieve the objective of 30mbit speed and AT peak time, and with clear potential for upping that objective in the future. Spell out technically how WISPs can do that. I'm genuinely interested to hear as a lot of posters here seem so 'one eyed' about fibre.
    fibre is future proof and FTTH would mean they wouldn't have to keep going back in next 10 year when 30mb out dated and the rest of Ireland on 10GB and we're still on 30mb.The truth is wisp will never be future proof while they be great for people up in the mountains plus a lot of them need line of sight .fibre the future and wisp are the past like DSL.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Bill Shock wrote: »
    If you read ANYTHING issued by dept or Minister (or past ministers) you will see that there is no way that whatever is published in the summer will set out a fibre solution. They have consistently said that they must observe a technology neutral position in any strategy....to do otherwise would let the like of the WISPs in with a competition complaint. reckon best you can hope for is a high level service specification thereby forcing bidders to demonstrate how they intend to be able to meet that. I also presume that specification will include capacity to accommodate future demand growth....think this is onlyway we can arrive at a fibre solution. EU competition rules will force them to be careful about how they describe what it is they want.

While they have to be technology neutral, they can of course set certain minimum requirements that will very likely exclude the WISPs.

The most important one is 30Mb/s minimum at peak time. This one is actually set out by the EU, so they certainly won't be complaining about it.

You could have only a max of 12 people on a wireless tower to achieve 30Mb/s at peak times! Thus you would need to have a massive density of towers, much more dense then the WISPs currently have in order to achieve that. You are talking big money per tower (rent, electricity, planning permission), quickly the costs spiral out of control and FTTH becomes cheaper then it.

All of this is very clearly laid out in Eircoms very detailed and interesting submission to the NBP.

Also rumour has it that the NBP contract will (rightly so) lay out strict requirements for future upgradability to faster speeds. Wireless will struggle to meet the 30Mb/s minimum requirements, never mend having any space to upgrade to higher speeds (100Mb/s, 1Gb/s) in future.

Finally you have to consider the size of Eircom and SIRO. These companies are likely to bring serious money to the table in order to win the NBP contracts. I doubt any WISP will be able to match them.

Yes, FWA maybe used to reach a very small percentage of extreme cases (single house ontop of a mountain). But I expect these will be serviced by Eircom/Siro as part of their overall NBP bid, based off their fiber networks. Similar to how Eircom serves less then 1% of homes with a "fixed" telephone service over 3.5GHz FWA in some extreme rural areas in order to satisfy it's USO. I don't see any room or market here for the WISPs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

bk wrote: »
    While they have to be technology neutral, they can of course set certain minimum requirements that will very likely exclude the WISPs.

The most important one is 30Mb/s minimum at peak time. This one is actually set out by the EU, so they certainly won't be complaining about it.

You could have only a max of 12 people on a wireless tower to achieve 30Mb/s at peak times! Thus you would need to have a massive density of towers, much more dense then the WISPs currently have in order to achieve that. You are talking big money per tower (rent, electricity, planning permission), quickly the costs spiral out of control and FTTH becomes cheaper then it.

All of this is very clearly laid out in Eircoms very detailed and interesting submission to the NBP.

Also rumour has it that the NBP contract will (rightly so) lay out strict requirements for future upgradability to faster speeds. Wireless will struggle to meet the 30Mb/s minimum requirements, never mend having any space to upgrade to higher speeds (100Mb/s, 1Gb/s) in future.

Finally you have to consider the size of Eircom and SIRO. These companies are likely to bring serious money to the table in order to win the NBP contracts. I doubt any WISP will be able to match them.

Yes, FWA maybe used to reach a very small percentage of extreme cases (single house ontop of a mountain). But I expect these will be serviced by Eircom/Siro as part of their overall NBP bid, based off their fiber networks. Similar to how Eircom serves less then 1% of homes with a "fixed" telephone service over 3.5GHz FWA in some extreme rural areas in order to satisfy it's USO. I don't see any room or market here for the WISPs.

I would be inclined to say that the first part I highlighted above would bias Eircom and/or SIRO towards a small percentage of long lays of fibre, rather than building some towers (second highlighted part above) that they know will not be of any use even in the short term (5+ years).

That is of course on the basis that the Gov do a good job in specifying future upgradability and maybe setting higher minimum speeds for 2025 with a clause to up that for future years.

How does the bidding work is done by county by county or the whole lot?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

I think the Wisps who are aware are already taking action to move to fiber or at least get involved with junction interconnects and try to expand it ontop of the already deployed towers not to replace but to run side by side for now. Nova as i mentioned are pushing for fiber rollouts and fixed line .

dbit wrote: »
    I think the Wisps who are aware are already taking action to move to fiber or at least get involved with junction interconnects and try to expand it ontop of the already deployed towers not to replace but to run side by side for now. Nova as i mentioned are pushing for fiber rollouts and fixed line .
    what that mean are wisp asking for fibre?

Primarily a Wisp at its conception and launch , now has grown and the ability to supply FTTH , These guys at least are an example of a company at least that's been putting profits back into itself and has grown to be a major player in ISP Munster based . They are expanding around Ireland now. 16 Odd years ago he was the only isp doing 20MB up and down in the cork area all over wisp tech.

http://www.novabroadband.ie/w/business/about-us/ Click the Our Network and support.

I would guess they are making a pitch to get some NBP monies.

Primarily a Wisp at its conception and launch , now has grown and the ability to supply FTTH , These guys at least are an example of a company at least that's been putting profits back into itself and has grown to be a major player in ISP Munster based . They are expanding around Ireland now. 16 Odd years ago he was the only isp doing 20MB up and down in the cork area all over wisp tech.

http://www.novabroadband.ie/w/business/about-us/ Click the Our Network and support.

I would guess they are making a pitch to get some NBP monies.
    I would rather 1 company do the NBP than multiple company's with them splitting the money plus it make it messy.I hope the goverment pick either Eircom or siro and make it open access so wisp would be able to use it.

rob808 wrote: »
    I would rather 1 company do the NBP than multiple company's with them splitting the money plus it make it messy.I hope the goverment pick either Eircom or siro and make it open access so wisp would be able to use it.

Nova have already acquired and built substantial fiber back-haul that also uses other networks to reach to new areas. ITs going to be a multi org lattice structure i would guess . Possibly cross serving each other at agreed rates for fail-overs and High Availability ?

Nova have already acquired and built substantial fiber back-haul that also uses other networks to reach to new areas. ITs going to be a multi org lattice structure i would guess . Possibly cross serving each other at agreed rates for fail-overs and High Availability ?
    Well that good but they could never beat FTTH doh could see our goverment could go for something like that since they like to save money than fix the problem once and for all.I think a rural FTTH network would be best and wisp for hard to reach areas.

• Advertisement

Well that good but they could never beat FTTH doh could see our goverment could go for something like that since they like to save money than fix the problem once and for all.I think a rural FTTH network would be best and wisp for hard to reach areas.

Thing is I think it will be just that . Eventually the wisp tech should all but shrivel up . Its Ireland and it will take a lot longer than 5 years but it should happen .

Thing is I think it will be just that . Eventually the wisp tech should all but shrivel up . Its Ireland and it will take a lot longer than 5 years but it should happen .
    Yea that it is true might be 2021 or 2022 but it be worth it in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

There was a discussion earlier on Limerick 95FM with people from local wireless ISPs, Munster Broadband and BB Net about the NBP.

Missed the earlier part of the interview but from what I heard they are in a bit of a limbo at the moment about their future rollout plans to new areas, it continues but at a slower pace. Discussions continuing with the Dept. They do agree that fibre to the home is the best method of delivery.

The Cush wrote: »
    There was a discussion earlier on Limerick 95FM with people from local wireless ISPs, Munster Broadband and BB Net about the NBP.

Missed the earlier part of the interview but from what I heard they are in a bit of a limbo at the moment about their future rollout plans to new areas, it continues but at a slower pace. Discussions continuing with the Dept. They do agree that fibre to the home is the best method of delivery.
    FTTH is the best solution once it open access that all that matter and wisp can use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

It looks like the Germans are putting in some state aid for their own version of NBP: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/16/ec_3bn_euro_german_broadband_scheme/

@murphaph - this should be good for you, won't it?

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    It looks like the Germans are putting in some state aid for their own version of NBP: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/16/ec_3bn_euro_german_broadband_scheme/

I wonder what they will get? ...... fibre, fixed wireless, other?
    The plan is to establish networks that are capable of delivering download speeds of at least 30Mbit/s (megabits per second), and in most cases 50Mbit/s, to households and businesses.

I wonder what they will get? ...... fibre, fixed wireless, other?
    I wonder when they plan to have it finish is it the same as us 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

It could be. It certainly isn't a "every building in the country" plan like the NBP but please God it'll be good for us. I imagine however the vast bulk of this money will go to VDSL provision as one off properties are much rarer here, VDSL is going to be quite effective in getting all those little towns and villages uo to 50Mbps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭medoc

I'm currently in Canada (Ontario) and was looking at the Hydro (ESB) poles. Here they have a communications cable lower down. Sometimes even 2 or 3. In urban areas it appears to be cable TV (cogico I was told). In rural area I'm not as sure. Surely fibre on over head LV or MV lines is ok as it's basically glass but how could cable TV co-ax be ok?

• Advertisement

Big Phil is all about FTTH for rural dwellers.

Big Phil is all about FTTH for rural dwellers.

At various times ......

fast speed broadband
    high speed broadband
    ultra-speed broadband

makes one wonder if he has some distinctions in mind ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

medoc wrote: »
    I'm currently in Canada (Ontario) and was looking at the Hydro (ESB) poles. Here they have a communications cable lower down. Sometimes even 2 or 3. In urban areas it appears to be cable TV (cogico I was told). In rural area I'm not as sure. Surely fibre on over head LV or MV lines is ok as it's basically glass but how could cable TV co-ax be ok?
    It is an awful bloody mess though isn't it. It makes otherwise advanced countries look third world to have such ugly overhead infrastructure blighting the place.

murphaph wrote: »
    It is an awful bloody mess though isn't it. It makes otherwise advanced countries look third world to have such ugly overhead infrastructure blighting the place.
    I don't know why this matters it Canada they do thing different it seems.It highly unlikely you anything like that in Ireland.

Comreg has published its response to the submissions received for its Dec published discussion document NBP - Call for Input on Regulatory Implications.

Response - http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg1557.pdf
    Submissions - http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg14126s.pdf
    Discussion doc - http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg14126.pdf

The issues discussed in the response
    - SMP and Other Regulatory Issues
    - Procedural and Governance Issues
    - Potential impact of NBP on provision of universal service
    - Transition from copper to fibre access networks
    - Radio Spectrum Issues

Comreg plan to publish a consultation, in the second half of 2015, to consider the dual operation of copper and fibre platforms as well as a potential transition from copper to fibre access networks.

• Advertisement

Comreg has published its response to the submissions received for its Dec published discussion document NBP - Call for Input on Regulatory Implications.

- Radio Spectrum Issues

Comreg plan to publish a consultation, in the second half of 2015, to consider the dual operation of copper and fibre platforms as well as a potential transition from copper to fibre access networks.
    I think if FWA win the NBP it gona cost a lot more money in the end and then there download limit,and cost.I hope Eircom or siro win most of it because with FTTH we have way more options than with FWA.

- Radio Spectrum Issues

I love the last "Individual respondents Submission":
    Rubbish
    :eek::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

I think if FWA win the NBP it gona cost a lot more money in the end and then there download limit,and cost.I hope Eircom or siro win most of it because with FTTH we have way more options than with FWA.

Generally, with most companies, there are no download/upload limits with FWA, but some do have strict "fair usage" policies.

Generally, with most companies, there are no download/upload limits with FWA, but some do have strict "fair usage" policies.
    That what I mean FTTH best because we have more options if we're stuck on FWA were kinda limited and same With speed like what the realistic speed we get with FWA like the highest speed it can go with 15 houses sharing.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Interesting tidbit from a recent ComReg doc linked above on the NBP:
    Specifically, the DCENR has stated that the NBP will
    “facilitate broadband download speeds of 70Mbps with a minimum of 40Mbps generally available and 30Mbps available in harder to reach rural areas”

So it turns out the standards for it are even higher then minimum 30Mb/s, looks like the spec will totally blow the FWA providers out of the water.

It also explains why the intervention areas seem to be basically all of rural Ireland more then 500 meters from an Eircom eFibre cab.

I was surprised at the relatively small circumference of just 500 meters, as you should be able to get 30Mb/s at 750 meters, maybe even 1KM from a cab. But the 70Mb/s upper value would explain it, you would only get that speed out to 500 meters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

bk wrote:
    So it turns out the standards for it are even higher then minimum 30Mb/s, looks like the spec will totally blow the FWA providers out of the water.

Music to my ears (or text to my eyes :pac: )

Article in today's SBP reports that 35 of the country's 60 or so WISPs have come together to form a lobby group Wireless Broadband Ireland. According to the article they will lobby the government to make changes to the NBP.

John McDonnell of Ripplecom says many wireless providers are being damaged by the government promise of 30 Mbps fibre broadband to every home and business in rural Ireland. He's also quoted as saying the service could be a lot more expensive than what rural customers currently pay.

He criticised the Minister for committing to this without any timeframe, any indication as to the cost to end user would be, leading many people to think this service would be free.

He say wireless providers are finding it difficult to raise funds to expand because there is a fear that the NBP will drive them out of business, even before the NBP is able to reach customers.

He warned that "delivering fibre broadband ... is neither viable economically, nor is it necessary".

There you go, as I told people earlier, the WISPs have zero interest in FTTH and have zero interest in seeing that the people of rural Ireland finally get high speed broadband and finally close the rural divide.

Article in today's SBP reports that 35 of the country's 60 or so WISPs have come together to form a lobby group Wireless Broadband Ireland. According to the article they will lobby the government to make changes to the NBP.

John McDonnell of Ripplecom says many wireless providers are being damaged by the government promise of 30 Mbps fibre broadband to every home and business in rural Ireland. He's also quoted as saying the service could be a lot more expensive than what rural customers currently pay.

He criticised the Minister for committing to this without any timeframe, any indication as to the cost to end user would be, leading many people to think this service would be free.

He say wireless providers are finding it difficult to raise funds to expand because there is a fear that the NBP will drive them out of business, even before the NBP is able to reach customers.

He warned that "delivering fibre broadband ... is neither viable economically, nor is it necessary".
    I wonder what speed ripplecom want the NBP speed be what like 15mb.I wish they would just feck off and same with imagine nobody would miss them.I have to laugh at the last quote fibre broadband not viable economically is he joking they should just ban them from NBP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

I wonder what speed ripplecom want the NBP speed be what like 15mb.I wish they would just feck off and same with imagine nobody would miss them.I have to laugh at the last quote fibre broadband not viable economically is he joking they should just ban them from NBP.

I'll bounce a signal from a "neighbour" with ftth rather than go with a wisp once ftth is rolled out, luddites the lot of them.

funnyname wrote: »
    I'll bounce a signal from a "neighbour" with ftth rather than go with a wisp once ftth is rolled out, luddites the lot of them.

Might be a business opportunity there for supply of hardware and installation ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

Might be a business opportunity there for supply of hardware and installation ;)

Touché

• Registered Users Posts: 8 fibrefreak

While people might compare their Ripplecom (and other WISPs) speeds to urban products and feel let down, if they were not there we could close down the countryside - nobody would have broadband at all.
    More important than what the Ripplecom guy said is the response from the government spokesperson who said that "there is no final decision on technology for the NBP" - so for all Alex Whites talk about fibre so he can get re-elected, it will only happen if fibre is seen as a better solution (under EU State Aid Guidelines).
    That is not a given by any means due to Irelands topography and the proliferation of one off housing. It is VERY likely that radio is going to feature in the NBP.
    I dont want to wait on a hospital trolley because all money has been diverted to delivering fibre to the back of beyonds. Fibre to every home in Ireland is not economically viable and because of that, a fibre/radio blend will be deployed in the end.
    A decent radio will meet the 30Mbs requirement very easily.

The real reason why people are pissed off with wireless providers is the useless regulator we have. ComReg were supposed to begin consultation on 3.6Ghz spectrum for the WISPs in 2010 - they still dont have their act together.
    No spectrum - no decent radio signal.
    No visibility on what spectrum you have - no investment in the networks.
    We cant blame the wireless providers for that

Rather than blaming the WISPs, we should be blaming your politicians and ComReg who have allowed this mess to evolve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

I live in one of the infamous one off houses down a little road in the middle of nowhere. I'm 2.7km from the exchange on a direct cable with lots of overhead cabling. My choice of location, and I accept all the downsides, broadband being one.

Because my house is in a valley, radio isn't an option. Not my assumption, by the way, It's what I have been told by WISPs. If fiber doesn't feed my house, how will I fit into the NBP?

WISPs have too many dark areas to be taken seriously as a provider of high speed broadband. Fine when the conditions are right, otherwise, no. Just no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

I hope wireless has nothing to do with it. The provider I have currently are wireless. 50mb package with 2-4mb normally on peak times. At 4 or 5am you get around 25mb max, but dont use it at that time. I have an issue with packet loss. 5-10% internally during peak hours (on their internal network) which they have told me is acceptable. Other customers of theirs have the same issues and they always come back saying "There is no issue with your connection". So its not just the technology aspect of things. I just do not trust people like this to deliver a good product. The next thing will be I'd be getting the same, or worse packet loss, and they come back saying "but your getting 31mb, there are no issues". Speed isn't everything..

• Advertisement

chris_ie wrote: »
    I hope wireless has nothing to do with it. The provider I have currently are wireless. 50mb package with 2-4mb normally on peak times. At 4 or 5am you get around 25mb max, but dont use it at that time. I have an issue with packet loss. 5-10% internally during peak hours (on their internal network) which they have told me is acceptable. Other customers of theirs have the same issues and they always come back saying "There is no issue with your connection". So its not just the technology aspect of things. I just do not trust people like this to deliver a good product. The next thing will be I'd be getting the same, or worse packet loss, and they come back saying "but your getting 31mb, there are no issues". Speed isn't everything..

Queue your downloads at night while you sleep as workaround ? I know this does nothing for your stability during the day , but at least it would wind you up less ?

I did a 4g test in my new rental address and got a whoping 66 down with 23 up . Eircom DF will not beat that .

Queue your downloads at night while you sleep as workaround ? I know this does nothing for your stability during the day , but at least it would wind you up less ?

Already do that dbit :) Have a server that does any downloading between 2am and 8am. Just add whatever throughout the day. Initially did this to be nice to their fair usage policy (so as not to affect other users)!

Its mainly the packet loss thats the major issue for me and anytime things go down or have problems the ISP never admits fault. Or if I have a large download for work that I need its takes quite a while during the day.

chris_ie wrote: »
    Already do that dbit :) Have a server that does any downloading between 2am and 8am. Just add whatever throughout the day. Initially did this to be nice to their fair usage policy (so as not to affect other users)!

Its mainly the packet loss thats the major issue for me and anytime things go down or have problems the ISP never admits fault. Or if I have a large download for work that I need its takes quite a while during the day.

Well by what you have said so far im guessing your the only one in the area that can prove packet degradation is an issue , you would need to start doing it for others to get noticed maybe ? I presume you have fresnel zones and all other aspects nailed to the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 fibrefreak

Falcon L wrote: »
    Because my house is in a valley, radio isn't an option. Not my assumption, by the way, It's what I have been told by WISPs. If fiber doesn't feed my house, how will I fit into the NBP?

I think economics will dictate and a pole holding a radio will be put on the lip of the valley rather than running 2.7km of fibre.

its going to cost 3 - 5 billion to deliver fibre everywhere. When the voters in Dublin, Cork etc hear the total bill (to facilitate rural dwellers who live in the country for lifestyle reasons, cheaper housing or to live on their farms) they will sling the government of the day out on their arse.
    It will be fibre to the crossroad or ribbon development and radio after that. The people in the cities paying higher property taxes will dictate this

fibrefreak wrote: »
    While people might compare their Ripplecom (and other WISPs) speeds to urban products and feel let down, if they were not there we could close down the countryside - nobody would have broadband at all.
    More important than what the Ripplecom guy said is the response from the government spokesperson who said that "there is no final decision on technology for the NBP" - so for all Alex Whites talk about fibre so he can get re-elected, it will only happen if fibre is seen as a better solution (under EU State Aid Guidelines).
    That is not a given by any means due to Irelands topography and the proliferation of one off housing. It is VERY likely that radio is going to feature in the NBP.
    I dont want to wait on a hospital trolley because all money has been diverted to delivering fibre to the back of beyonds. Fibre to every home in Ireland is not economically viable and because of that, a fibre/radio blend will be deployed in the end.
    A decent radio will meet the 30Mbs requirement very easily.

The real reason why people are pissed off with wireless providers is the useless regulator we have. ComReg were supposed to begin consultation on 3.6Ghz spectrum for the WISPs in 2010 - they still dont have their act together.
    No spectrum - no decent radio signal.
    No visibility on what spectrum you have - no investment in the networks.
    We cant blame the wireless providers for that

Rather than blaming the WISPs, we should be blaming your politicians and ComReg who have allowed this mess to evolve
    Ok the first thing is the money from EU fund ment for broadband so hospital bed thing total nonsense and fibre cheap and if it wasn't Eircom won't had mention FTTH if was to expensive.The wisp just want to keep there monpoloy on rural Ireland why shouldn't rural people not have a choice between fixed or wireless.They don't want us to have 30mb broadband why in the hell would anybody want there broadband after hearing that sorry.I think ripplecom should be a shame of them self there only thing they care about is profits and not about good broadband some people are stuck with them with no other choice.

Falcon L wrote: »

I think economics will dictate and a pole holding a radio will be put on the lip of the valley rather than running 2.7km of fibre.

its going to cost 3 - 5 billion to deliver fibre everywhere. When the voters in Dublin, Cork etc hear the total bill (to facilitate rural dwellers who live in the country for lifestyle reasons, cheaper housing or to live on their farms) they will sling the government of the day out on their arse.
    It will be fibre to the crossroad or ribbon development and radio after that. The people in the cities paying higher property taxes will dictate this
    It not gona cost 3 to 5 billion sure Eircom doing 300,000 house with FTTH for 400million and there rural.

Well by what you have said so far im guessing your the only one in the area that can prove packet degradation is an issue , you would need to start doing it for others to get noticed maybe ? I presume you have fresnel zones and all other aspects nailed to the floor.

I setup monitoring on my connection a long time ago. There was alot of information, graphs etc over a long period of time for them that they could log in to my server and check out (they did once, viewed 1 page and that was it - had a visitor log). The first 4 hops (3 past the mast I point at) never had any loss at all. Then after that the loss starts. I sent all this information to them and named the one that the loss begins on. They said they were looking into it and then after a year (in which loss had increased and speeds decreased) they said there wasnt any issue with the connection and the loss was normal. This is on their own network, not the internet. I'm 2km from the mast. Another customer I know is 13k (just outside max range) and doesnt get as bad a packet loss percentage as myself, but its still not good all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Jesus Christ, just did a boards search for Ripplecom and the first thing it links me to is this clowns statement. I've been without service since last Friday. This is the umpteenth time I've been down for a weekend or more. When I get service it is absolutely sh!te anyway. I'm lucky to get 1 mb dl and about 0.25 up. Half the time it times out trying to do a speedtest.
    Then he comes out with the poor mouth because of the government announcing a plan that will force him to provide a service he's supposed to be providing so himself and his cohorts in the sh!te Internet provider industry form a lobby group...... Gimme a break. The sooner the likes of him and his ilk are drove out of business the better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

Just to be clear, I'm not the only house in the area. On my road there are 2 working farms, about a dozen full time occupied homes and some holiday homes. There is an ESB main route running past the back of my house and the distribution network at the front.

My distance from the exchange is irrelevant if my feed comes from Voda/ESB. Distance from exchange and cabinet need to be forgotten about to a large degree, where fiber is concerned.

The money for the NBP, I assume, will come from euro development funding (open to correction here), so the big city slickers needn't worry that someone's getting something off their back. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement