Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NBP: National Broadband Plan Announced

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Sinn Féin calling for €3b broadband private contract to be given to state-owned ESB, they will be putting a private members motion before the Dail next week seeking to force the Government to abandon its €3b deal with Granahan McCourt. Another political stunt by SF and in the process to embarrass FF for continuing to support the government while being so vocal against the NBP announcement.

https://www.rte.ie/cspodcasts/media.mp3?c1=2&c2=16951747&ns_site=test&ns_type=clickin&rte_vs_ct=aud&rte_vs_sc=pod&rte_mt_sec=radio&rte_vs_sn=radio1&rte_mt_pub_dt=2019-05-10&rte_mt_prg_name=test-newsatone&title=Sinn%20F%C3%A9in%20calling%20for%20%E2%82%AC3b%20broadband%20private%20contract%20to%20be%20given%20to%20state-owned%20ESB&c7=https%3A%2F%2Fpodcast.rasset.ie%2Fpodcasts%2Faudio%2F2019%2F0510%2F20190510_rteradio1-newsatone-sinnfincal_c21552827_21552877_232_.mp3&r=https%3A%2F%2Fpodcast.rasset.ie%2Fpodcasts%2Faudio%2F2019%2F0510%2F20190510_rteradio1-newsatone-sinnfincal_c21552827_21552877_232_.mp3

No statement from the ESB/SIRO on this to date is just continuing to add fuel to this debate. Since they withdrew from the process they have made little to no comment on the NBP, nor did they attend the PAC debate on the NBP back in Feb.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Radio 1 discussion on now

One lady said that she heard that fibre "fills up" and service degrades with congestion. Wonder who told her that...she has a wireless service in Kildare.

As others have said before, it's difficult to listen to such misinformation, especially on RTE who are letting down the licence payers by not getting a competent person on to explain it properly. Adrian Weckler can't be on every program and even when he is, it seems the interview is rushed and the important points are drowned out by some other bluffer in the studio.

That discussion from RTÉ's Saturday with Katie Hannon

FG TD John Paul Phelan, former Minister for Communication Denis Naughten, FF TD Jim O'Callaghan, Teresa Buczkowska Integration Team Coordinator with the Immigrant Council of Ireland and Dr Catherine O’Connell CEO of the Irish Peatland Conservation Council

discussion on the NBP starts at 5:40 mins in - https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/11035510

Jim O'Callaghan, a barrister by profession, wouldn't answer the question on the legality of awarding this to the ESB under state-aid law (26 mins), wouldn't give his opinion - fee required I assume, goes to prove FF position is pure politicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

If it's was to pass and the ESB were to be forced to do it. I am guessing here now but wouldn't the have to finish the contract with Vodafone first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

He wasn't nearly thorough enough. I don't care if she or her kids uses WhatsApp or what she thinks about driverless cars.

He should have asked why are eir trialing 5G FWA in rural areas. Do they see it as a competitive route against NBI.

Do eir have any plans to extend their own rural network seeing that the taxpayer and NBI will be funding the upgrading of their poles and ducts?

Will eir join the NBI network as a retailer? (I'm sure they will but at least ask)

How do eir feel as an entity about their decades long hold over rural Ireland being snatched from them?

What is her opinion of NBIs capability to deliver this project on time? She said herself that she felt eir were the best option so obviously NBI are inferior in her view. How inferior though?

eir just have to sit back and get rental income for poles, etc. No need to rush forward to become a 'retailer' They have enough vaguely lit fibre around the place, (including the summer houses of various telecom execs) to pick up any easy low hanging stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

I don’t get this. I live in the ar*e hole of south Tipperary and last month we were connected to high speed broadband. It’s available to all in our area for a small charge. What difference will the proposed system make?
    So you don't get the need for.rural.briadband, because...you have broadband?

Is that seriously your point?

• Advertisement

BarryM wrote: »
    He wasn't nearly thorough enough. I don't care if she or her kids uses WhatsApp or what she thinks about driverless cars.

He should have asked why are eir trialing 5G FWA in rural areas. Do they see it as a competitive route against NBI.

Do eir have any plans to extend their own rural network seeing that the taxpayer and NBI will be funding the upgrading of their poles and ducts?

Will eir join the NBI network as a retailer? (I'm sure they will but at least ask)

How do eir feel as an entity about their decades long hold over rural Ireland being snatched from them?

What is her opinion of NBIs capability to deliver this project on time? She said herself that she felt eir were the best option so obviously NBI are inferior in her view. How inferior though?

eir just have to sit back and get rental income for poles, etc. No need to rush forward to become a 'retailer' They have enough vaguely lit fibre around the place, (including the summer houses of various telecom execs) to pick up any easy low hanging stuff.

A.nice bit of legislation allowing landowners to charge eir rental for land with poles in it would be good. They had been allowed leeway because they were providing vital national infrastructure, but now once nbp is deployed, they would be little more than a landlord renting out poles that they dont have to pay rent on land that they dint own.

I don’t get the big announcement. I live in a rural area about 2 miles from the nearest village and 10 from the nearest town. In the last year or so, a team of workers have been putting in new lines and replacing some telegraph poles. Last month our service provider contacted us to say that high speed broadband was now available. An engineer came out installed new line and modem and connected us up.

I thought that this was happening all over the country. Hence my surprise.

Another anti nbp story from a media outlet owned by our friend.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/3bn-broadband-plan-may-prevent-taoiseachs-election-promise-of-tax-cuts-38102453.html

€3bn broadband plan may prevent Taoiseach's election promise of tax cuts

I don’t get the big announcement. I live in a rural area about 2 miles from the nearest village and 10 from the nearest town. In the last year or so, a team of workers have been putting in new lines and replacing some telegraph poles. Last month our service provider contacted us to say that high speed broadband was now available. An engineer came out installed new line and modem and connected us up.

That was eir rollout of 300k homes in an effort to enhance their likelihood of winning the tender....before they pulled out of the tender completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Nope, EIR cherry picked the most profitable areas and also cleverly designed their rollout to try scupper the NBP. Have a Google for EIR 300k rollout

• Advertisement

That was eir rollout of 300k homes in an effort to enhance their likelihood of winning the tender....before they pulled out of the tender completely.

That makes sense. Even though I’m not an Eir customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

BarryM wrote: »

In addition, should the whole thing collapse for some reason, whether mid or long term, it is openeir who will benefit without ever having risked a penny.

The fibre will be hanging on their poles so it would be of some value to them, but of little value to any other commercial enterprise. The 'dodgy' poles having been replaced as required with rental income from the rest being used.

openeir agreeing to the rental of their poles for the roll out is about as big a benefit to them as their decision to do 300k roll out.
    I expect, in the long term, that openeir will own the whole lot and operate it seamlessly.
    In urban areas they will have some competition .... Siro etc
    In rural areas they can easily keep ahead of competing technologies (for the foreseeable future) like FWA, and even then they will be the provider of the backhaul to the masts.

eir's future looks solid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Anteayer wrote: »
    Looking at the comparisons from around Europe this is fairly unprecedented. Most countries simply don't have the kind of scatter development in rural areas that we do and the ones that have some degree of it, for example France, have drawn the line at rolling out FTTH to every last hamlet, even though they're also spending billions on various rural fibre schemes, it looks to me like the Irish one is a lot more ambitious about reaching every last connection.

I live and work in France 50%. The original policy was to keep the basic infrastructure effectively in the hands of the original monopoly, France Telecom, now Orange. However, successive right wing governments assisted various private service suppliers to cherry pick the easy stuff. They are all in various kinds of financial difficulties, including the present owner of eir.

Small rural communities are being assisted by money from the regional authorities to install fibre, but the local marie has to spend something too, which leads to political in-fighting.

OTOH the French ESB has allowed fibre to be would around their network lines, which creates some competition in the telecom infrastructure.

Overall, in France, and in other developed EU countries, telecom has become a commodity item, like water, the competition is cut throat, the banks are wary of lending them much. The result is that the less interesting, mostly rural, areas are being ignored.

I have been paying €30 a month for a phone, tv, bb bundle for years, over the copper pair, from a switch at the end of the village which has a feed from another switch about 10km away, delivering about 20Mb. Contention is a problem after 6pm.

Gary kk wrote: »
    If it's was to pass and the ESB were to be forced to do it. I am guessing here now but wouldn't the have to finish the contract with Vodafone first.

FF, IIRC were talking about setting up a separate agency within the ESB to roll out the NBP.

This not going to happen without state funding and state funding will require a whole new procurement process that the ESB may not tender for or be awarded if they did tender.

Whether you are an eir customer or not has no relationship as to whether or not you are using eir infrastructure.

How much extra would the subsidy have been if the eir 300k were included in the NBP? How much has eir spent on this, €250m?

The hardware/infrastructure (fibre cable) is owned by openeir.
    It is 'open access' so any provider can supply services on it.
    Those providers include eir, Airwire, Digiweb and a whole lot of others.

The customer deals with the service provider, while those providers deal with the infrastructure owners.

You are part of a commercial infrastructure roll out to approx 300,000 'rural' premises by openeir.
    Who you contract to provide a service over that fibre is entirely up to you.
    Services provided can be broadband, telephone, TV and others. It is up to the customer to decide what they want.

The NBP, is designed to provide a similar infrastructure to the other approx 500,000 premises in rural Ireland, thuse 'levelling the playing field' for all citizens.

Consider yourself lucky you are amongst the 300,000 to get early connections.
    Some people will have to wait up to 10 years more for an NBP connection.

The Cush wrote: »
    How much extra would the subsidy have been if the eir 300k were included in the NBP? How much has eir spent on this, €250m?

You might as well ask how much it would have cost if the infrastructure had not been sold off in the first place.
    That is a more legitimate question IMO, as it was a gov decision to do it.
    The eir 300K roll out was a commercial decision that the gov could not have prevented or interfered with.
    The only way they had any influence at all and got an agreement from eir on time scale etc. was because they had a 'carrot' in the form of an NBP tender coming up.

There is nothing at all to prevent eir or another entity announcing they will commercially serve 100K of the remaining premises, thus throwing the whole NBP into disarray again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Adrian Weckler on Newstalk now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Orebro

Adrian Weckler on Newstalk now

He’s doing a sterling job cutting through the BS being spouted on the NBP. Pity the other so called Tech journals aren’t as well briefed and researched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I doubt they managed it that cheaply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

ED E wrote: »

Carolan Lennon repeated the €250m figure in Weckler's podcast that you linked to. This is the latest of several times she mentioned it. Do you think they are deliberately downplaying their investment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It may just be basic accounting going on.

Say they spend €50M on OLTs etc, €50M on cable, and €150M to KNN for build works (Made up numbers). That doesnt include all the experienced OE techs doing splicing works as part of that. Or the network planning and civils work done in HSQ. You can argue their staff are salaried either way but they could be working elsewhere etc and there was a big hire binge before the 300k started.

The 300K were low hanging fruit but lots of it was still labour intensive. They were getting a real good deal from the contractors if they did it that cheap I would guess but AFAIK we don't have any data to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

This is complete and utter nonsense.

Why ? Because it applies to ALL broadband technologies. The outcome he is describing is down to who designed the network, how oversubscribed it is and how greedy the company is, that is operating the network. It doesn't matter if it is wireless, DSL, Cable TV or FTTH. It applies to them all.

Actually .. I would go further: if a tree falls on a copper or fibre cable, then it it is bound to break. If a tree falls on a "wireless wire", then the service may improve ... better Line of Sight :)

Fixed wireless services can and often are extremely reliable. Depends on who build and operates them. End off.

But that's neither here nor there. He's just bashing wireless systems at this point.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/3bn-broadband-plan-may-prevent-taoiseachs-election-promise-of-tax-cuts-38102453.html
    Meanwhile, it has also emerged that Agriculture Minister Michael Creed has accidentally revealed that Granahan McCourt, the company implementing the National Broadband Plan, is investing €200m of its own financial resources upfront into the €3bn project.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0512/1048978-fg-cannot-be-trusted-with-major-public-investment/
    Opposition TDs have rounded on the Government following the disclosure that the chosen National Broadband Plan (NBP) bidder is putting less than €200m into the project.

The government are surely going to get a bit of flack over this. Why did they fly the kite that GMC was going to be putting up ~50% of overall project cost. I also recall Peter Hendrick saying in his interview with Adrian Weckler that they were investing a similar amount. What am I missing here?

Jim

It's a shared medium but it's 2500Mb for 31 homes vs say imagines 150Mb for 400 homes. In theory yes but thats like saying if every house in all of Dublin flushed their toilet at exactly the same time the sewers would flood.

It's 150 for 100 homes / 600 for 400 homes, but then the uplink is an unknown quantity. That could be 300 or less for the 400 homes.

100 homes per sector, 4 sectors per site.

It doesn't make much difference to the comparison though. It's still c***. Compare it to the Radwin Jet service, that some regional operators provide. The low end sector has an aggregate of 250 Mbit/s and the full pro version 750 Mbit/s. If they can get the bandwidth to site. That is 3 Gbit/s pro site for some like 160-200 customers.

Imagines new tech is supposedly LTE Cat 12, so 600 Mbit/s aggregate per sector. But that is still less than the Radwin Jet Pro sectors and with more customers on them.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Marlow wrote: »
    It's 150 for 100 homes / 600 for 400 homes, but then the uplink is an unknown quantity. That could be 300 or less for the 400 homes.

100 homes per sector, 4 sectors per site.

It doesn't make much difference to the comparison though. It's still c***. Compare it to the Radwin Jet service, that some regional operators provide. The low end sector has an aggregate of 250 Mbit/s and the full pro version 750 Mbit/s. If they can get the bandwidth to site. That is 3 Gbit/s pro site for some like 160-200 customers.

Imagines new tech is supposedly LTE Cat 12, so 600 Mbit/s aggregate per sector. But that is still less than the Radwin Jet Pro sectors and with more customers on them.

/M
    ok cool I hear you. Now if you were to choose one of them for your house which would you pick. Fiber or wireless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

If Minister Creed is right and he probably is as he is in cabinet and saw the figures then this plan is goosed
    No contract will be signed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭Pique

If €200m is the balance then why did everyone else pull out? Surely they'd have stayed in the tender process for such a tiny investment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Possibly several reasons,not least of which being that they didn't expect the half of the 2 billion on offer

I'd expect a clarification from Creedon,along the lines of,' he meant 'but the company will be borrowing a lot more Or that its 200 million getting started in the first quarter'
    Or that it was his opinion that that's what was needed to put in ,in the first quarter
    Or something like that
    Otherwise no contract will get signed

Real politik

westyIrl wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/3bn-broadband-plan-may-prevent-taoiseachs-election-promise-of-tax-cuts-38102453.html
    Meanwhile, it has also emerged that Agriculture Minister Michael Creed has accidentally revealed that Granahan McCourt, the company implementing the National Broadband Plan, is investing €200m of its own financial resources upfront into the €3bn project.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0512/1048978-fg-cannot-be-trusted-with-major-public-investment/
    Opposition TDs have rounded on the Government following the disclosure that the chosen National Broadband Plan (NBP) bidder is putting less than €200m into the project.

The government are surely going to get a bit of flack over this. Why did they fly the kite that GMC was going to be putting up ~50% of overall project cost. I also recall Peter Hendrick saying in his interview with Adrian Weckler that they were investing a similar amount. What am I missing here?

Jim

Read the article fully, it has so many holes in it, you could use it to filter your coffee.

The 200m.for a start is listed as the initial investment, not the full figure, but the article then goes in to talk as if that's the only money they are putting in.

Considering the investor in INM and newestalk, and their clear bias against the nbp, I am uncomfortable about motivation.

I just had the unfortunate experience of driving home listed to newstalk tech show, and the sheer anti nbp bias was a sight to behold. Almost fox news level of childish bias.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Read the article fully, it has so many holes in it, you could use it to filter your coffee.

The 200m.for a start is listed as the initial investment, not the full figure, but the article then goes in to talk as if that's the only money they are putting in.

I just had the unfortunate experience of driving home listed to newstalk tech show, and the sheer anti nbp bias was a sight to behold. Almost fox news level of childish bias.

I do understand what you mean as regards holes in the article but thats nearly every article on the NBP these days as it is a poorly understood subject technically which also leads to the observed levels of misinformation.

However, while it probably is €200m upfront initially, perception is reality with these things and it's just plain poor PR management by the govt to hand ammunition to the naysayers about a plan that is already controversial.
    Considering the investor in INM and newestalk, and their clear bias against the nbp, I am uncomfortable about motivation.

Is the investor in INM/Newstalk not the same as owner of Actavo (listed partner of GMC for NBP)? Am I wrong here or am I missing ulterior motives?

Jim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Marlow wrote: »
    This is complete and utter nonsense.

Why ? Because it applies to ALL broadband technologies. The outcome he is describing is down to who designed the network, how oversubscribed it is and how greedy the company is, that is operating the network. It doesn't matter if it is wireless, DSL, Cable TV or FTTH. It applies to them all.

Actually .. I would go further: if a tree falls on a copper or fibre cable, then it it is bound to break. If a tree falls on a "wireless wire", then the service may improve ... better Line of Sight :)

Fixed wireless services can and often are extremely reliable. Depends on who build and operates them. End off.

But that's neither here nor there. He's just bashing wireless systems at this point.

/M

You work for Imagine now Marlow?

Carolan Lennon repeated the €250m figure in Weckler's podcast that you linked to. This is the latest of several times she mentioned it. Do you think they are deliberately downplaying their investment?
    It may just be basic accounting going on.

Say they spend €50M on OLTs etc, €50M on cable, and €150M to KNN for build works (Made up numbers). That doesnt include all the experienced OE techs doing splicing works as part of that. Or the network planning and civils work done in HSQ. You can argue their staff are salaried either way but they could be working elsewhere etc and there was a big hire binge before the 300k started.

The 300K were low hanging fruit but lots of it was still labour intensive. They were getting a real good deal from the contractors if they did it that cheap I would guess but AFAIK we don't have any data to know.

They will do 335,000 premises within their €250m budget according to Carolan Lennon at the Public Accounts Committee back in Feb.
    Carolan Lennon: we had a €250 million budget for that project and we will bring it in on budget. I get asked all the time and I get letters from Deputies, Ministers and other people asking to be added. I have the money. I have €250 million and have done as many as I can for that figure. I do not have €260 million. I only have €250 million so we are on budget.

Carolan Lennon:I do not want to confuse everybody but for the sake of clarity, because we have done 335,000 as opposed to the original 300,000, the Chairman can take that 35,000 off. They are in the rural one. Because we are going to pick up 50,000 of urban infills, the Chairman can take them off. The figure of 540,000 probably goes down to 460,000.

westyIrl wrote: »

According to an article in today's SBP, GMC's equity investment is in the region of €180m with the rest of its €2.5bn contribution due to come from borrowing and commercial revenues from the new network.

David McCourt has said the circa €200m figure "is wrong". He said their investment is €2.5bn over 25 years.

Also from the article, the Dept will setup a unit to monitor the NBP at an initial estimated cost of €10m per year over the 25 years of the plan.

• Advertisement

As suspected this encroachment has been considered.

D6HJZ_NWkAcS4LK.jpg

According to the NBP article, the state has agreed to compensate NBI for any reductions in the intervention area. The Dept of Communications will set aside a certain capped amount of the €545m contingency fund to cover the risk of encroachment.

Of the original 542,000 premises in the intervention area, 35,000 have been added to eir's 300k commitment and eir has confirmed it will provide fibre to another 50,000 premises under its urban IFN rollout.

pegasus1 wrote: »
    You work for Imagine now Marlow?

No. But I do work in the industry for over 20 years now. And the misinformation that some journalists spout p***** me right off.
    Gary kk wrote: »
    ok cool I hear you. Now if you were to choose one of them for your house which would you pick. Fiber or wireless

Not Imagine anyhow. Their 24 month contract with no buyout clause is a big "no no" to begin with. Beyond that, it depends on your needs. What do you need ?
    According to the SBP article, the state has agreed to compensate NBI for any reductions in the intervention area.

Another scam like what they did with the M3 tolls (compensating them, if they don't get their targeted toll income.)

/M

Three full pages in the SBP covering the NBP today.

The delay in announcing the preferred bidder from Easter to early May according to one article was due to the "intense internal row" between the Dept of Public Expenditure led by Dubliner Robert Watt and the Dept of Communications led by Galway man Mark Griffin.

Griffin has "a brother living in Kilcreevanty, outside Tuam who, he says, has constantly asked him what he is doing to sort out the problem".

The delay in announcing the preferred bidder from Easter to early May according to one article was due to the "intense internal row" between the Dept of Public Expenditure led by Dubliner Robert Watt and the Dept of Communications led by Galway man Mark Griffin.

T'was supposed to be announced before xmas anyhow.
    Griffin has "a brother living in Kilcreevanty, outside Tuam who, he says, has constantly asked him what he is doing to sort out the problem".

Plenty of providers covering Tuam. Unless the house is covered in trees, he has no problem getting broadband. Even at speeds over 30 Mbit/s. Also, most of that area is now part of the 300k. That sound like a "want". Not like a "need".

/M

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

On the boundaries of our Jet coverage from Caherlistrane. If Line of Sight is there, most houses in Kilcreevanty can get 50-100 Mbit/s connections.

• Advertisement

On the boundaries of our Jet coverage from Caherlistrane. If Line of Sight is there, most houses in Kilcreevanty can get 50-100 Mbit/s connections.

Indeed.

Indeed.

Physical limitations are hard to break. And when you do, it is most often not reliable.

Physical limitations are hard to break. And when you do, it is most often not reliable.

I remember the day we had our current FWA antenna installed just over 10 years ago, the installer couldn't get a reliable signal because a smallish tree was blocking the signal, got the chainsaw out while he waited, good signal once the tree was felled, no major problems since then bar the up to 3 Mbps DL.

I will say Martin, if the NBP fibre closes the 750m gap to my nearest fibre DP in the not too distant future Airwire will be one of the first providers I will be calling simply based on the company's positive interactions here on boards.

I will say Martin, if the NBP fibre closes the 750m gap to my nearest fibre DP in the not too distant future Airwire will be one of the first providers I will be calling simply based on the company's positive interactions here on boards.

You can be assured: should the NBP be awarded to NBI, we will be negotiating when them to offer services using the NBPco. We have the infrastructure and structures for the service offerings in place anyhow already, so it would be foolish not to do it.

Article in the Sunday Indo yesterday - David C McCourt: 'My pride at being able to bring a bright future to rural Ireland'

The company NBI INFRASTRUCTURE LIMITED (NBII) was registered last August as required by tender, CRO no. 631656

The website is up and running as we know - https://www.nationalbroadbandireland.ie

Twitter account - National Broadband Ireland (@NBBIreland)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

According to an article in today's SBP, GMC's equity investment is in the region of €180m with the rest of its €2.5bn contribution due to come from borrowing and commercial revenues from the new network.

David McCourt has said the circa €200m figure "is wrong". He said their investment is €2.5bn over 25 years.

Also from the article, the Dept will setup a unit to monitor the NBP at an initial estimated cost of €10m per year over the 25 years of the plan.

I'm getting so fed up of Newstalk being so anti NBP.

They bring on Fianna Fail and bring up the 200m figure and don't even mention the above

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Orebro

Couldn't agree more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Brendan Howlin on Newstalk now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭rodge123

Thought I was gonna have a stroke listening to him. In fairness to Pat and Jess, they countered him well at times.

Ivan would have creamed his pants if he’d been interviewing him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What BS was he on about this time?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement