Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NBP: National Broadband Plan Announced

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Are there any masts in black valley?

There's at least one above it, Eircom had to put one in for fixed wireless telephony to meet USO rules.
    9726_9726 wrote: »
    There are *some* point to point backhaul links that will do 1Gbps, from the likes of Ceragon, SAF, etc. Usually they needed XPIC.

Imagine's system is point to multipoint and does a total of 100Mbps per sector (yes one hundred). It's Huawei eLTE or Enterprise LTE.

At 400 customers on a BSU with 6 RRUs/sectors, that's 66 subs per sector or 100/66 = 1.5Mbps CIR/committed information rate, guaranteed bandwidth per customer. Guaranteed 30Mbps is just marketing speak.

Even that would assume 600Mbps on the microwave backhauls which are some descendants of Stratex Eclipse, so that'd be pushing it.

Nice to get some real figures on that. Is there any reason why its 100Mb sectors when we've had 150Mb CAT4 and are starting to see CAT5/6 225-300Mb sectors being deployed in the traditional cellular market? Has TDD not kept up in that regard?
    ussjtrunks wrote: »
    Can the fibre lines be put on poles aswell, If the trees broke them wouldnt it be a hassle?

They are, OpenEir are in the middle of doing just that. They're as vulnerable to wind (and thus trees/debris) as the POTS network but do not suffer from lightning hits so a bit more reliable. UG cabling isnt feasible in remote areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    Can the fibre lines be put on poles aswell, If the trees broke them wouldnt it be a hassle?

Yes fibre can go pole to pole along with a support cable, if a tree fell on the cable it would simply replace a length of the fibre and splice both ends... Splicing takes seconds...I have seen it first hand..splicing that is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

daraghwal wrote: »
    Assuming you're talking about FTTH, it's a good bit more complicated than that. Exchanges have to be upgraded. Planning permission has to be got for new exchanges. New exchanges have to be put in (possibly bigger than the older ones as more people would be subscribing to FTTH further out from the exchange. Exchanges have to get electricity from ESB. Fibre has to be put through to each exchange. Planning permission has to be got to bring fibre from other places (although I am pretty sure most of the country's exchanges have fibre connected up to them - I could be wrong). The fibre cable has to be physically brought from the exchange to the customers house.Equipment has to be fitted and installed in everyone's house (see picture)... The list goes on..

The one added complication to Fibre that doesn't exist with Copper is the fact that it cannot be cut and just soldered back together. If it breaks, it is more complicated and has to be either spliced back together perfect or replaced. Otherwise there would be a huge loss in speed

I do agree though that there is not much stopping it from becoming reality. It's just it is going to be complicated to make it a reality. It is by far the best solution to bring broadband to every home in Ireland. As you can guess from previous posts, wireless is not a viable option compared to fibre.

All of these planning permissions, closing roads if needed and pretty much anything else (besides installation) I'm sure will be a non-issue for whoever gets the tender. That's why they've given two departments responsibility over different areas of the contract. Once we have a winner and the money comes through then the department of rural affairs should be there to reduce the red tape.

Things seem to be moving a bit now..Kerry getting fibre throughout...

http://fibrerollout.ie/open-eirs-fibre-rollout-co-kerry/

And our exchange getting FTTH fibre service mid to late '16 from a year of no progress

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Things seem to be moving a bit now..Kerry getting fibre throughout...

http://fibrerollout.ie/open-eirs-fibre-rollout-co-kerry/

And our exchange getting FTTH fibre service mid to late '16 from a year of no progress

I doubt that means every home and business in Kerry.

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »

Wonder how much the Healy Raes had to do too to get them down there. :rolleyes:

The team doing your road probably left you high and dry and gone to Kerry..:eek::P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Kerry getting fibre throughout...
    Throughout? Care to justify?

KOR101 wrote: »

simply quoted...open eir, the wholesale network division of eir, is rolling out high speed broadband throughout Co. Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

ED E wrote: »
    Nice to get some real figures on that. Is there any reason why its 100Mb sectors when we've had 150Mb CAT4 and are starting to see CAT5/6 225-300Mb sectors being deployed in the traditional cellular market? Has TDD not kept up in that regard?

Not sure, but it's an Enterprise LTE system, really intended for private networks, I'm guessing maybe oil and gas, transport or whatnot. Nothing wrong with it, looks like not a bad bit of kit, but to be promising a "Guaranteed 30Mbps" is insane!

That's 400 x 30M = 12,000M or approximately 12Gbps! In a single-chassis BSU.... Snake oil. And in any case, you can't get that juice to the top of a mountain with microwave backhaul anyway - and they do use microwave backhaul.

I'll see if I can dig up a brochure or spec-sheet or something for the Huawei kit. I know they are using 20MHz channels, based on their submissions to the 3.5GHz consultation. They were complaining that the maximum allocation of 150MHz is not a multiple of 20, so will end up with 10MHz being wasted. Which sounds like a legit complaint to be fair.

Bottom line = NO WAY Imagine can really guarantee 30Mbps over time. That's overstating the CIR by 20 fold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

simply quoted...open eir, the wholesale network division of eir, is rolling out high speed broadband throughout Co. Kerry.

I doubt its every home and business. If that was the case they probably would have echoed that in the map when they updated it today. Hard to know from the wording though!

Probably just means they will concentate on the blue lines as they have done in Kilkenny

Exactly what I said earlier but people didn't seem to think it was the case. Shortlist happens now, contract on schedule for sometime next year or earlier if things go quicker than expected. They're basically still running on a 2022 deadline.

It will be nice to know the shortlisted bidders at least. Wonder will Imagine be included just to keep them sweet? Hopefully the final preferred bidder isn't them though and I can imagine it will be Eir.

Exactly what I said earlier but people didn't seem to think it was the case. Shortlist happens now, contract on schedule for sometime next year or earlier if things go quicker than expected. They're basically still running on a 2022 deadline.

It will be nice to know the shortlisted bidders at least. Wonder will Imagine be included just to keep them sweet? Hopefully the final preferred bidder isn't them though and I can imagine it will be Eir.

If its only dropped by 6 months its middle of 2021....;)

It could only be imagine if they went the fibre route..

9726_9726 wrote: »
    Not sure, but it's an Enterprise LTE system, really intended for private networks, I'm guessing maybe oil and gas, transport or whatnot. Nothing wrong with it, looks like not a bad bit of kit, but to be promising a "Guaranteed 30Mbps" is insane!

That's 400 x 30M = 12,000M or approximately 12Gbps! In a single-chassis BSU.... Snake oil. And in any case, you can't get that juice to the top of a mountain with microwave backhaul anyway - and they do use microwave backhaul.

I'll see if I can dig up a brochure or spec-sheet or something for the Huawei kit. I know they are using 20MHz channels, based on their submissions to the 3.5GHz consultation. They were complaining that the maximum allocation of 150MHz is not a multiple of 20, so will end up with 10MHz being wasted. Which sounds like a legit complaint to be fair.

Bottom line = NO WAY Imagine can really guarantee 30Mbps over time. That's overstating the CIR by 20 fold.

Not sure you're fully correct there:
    KN has been selected to build two new SDH transmission sites in Bweeng and Ballyhoura Co. Cork for the Vodafone Network. The projects entail site construction and erection of a seventy two meter SDH tower at Bweeng and thirty six meter tower at Ballyhoura.
    These are the first of these transmission type towers built by Vodafone with Irish companies supplying fabrication, construction and rigging services.

This in itself isnt proof, they could be hub sites but if you look at the COMREG map for 3.5G Imagine sites you'll find the majority are centred around medium towns etc or in places like Templemore where the Tetra site will likely be fed over a fixed network. So the name could be honest in that the first hop is directly onto SDH.

Also:
    The DBS3900 is a Huawei-developed industry-leading wireless multi-mode distributed solution. It applies to various coverage scenarios in the urban and rural areas. A DBS3900 mainly primarily consists of a BBU and RRUs. The LTE TDD RAN supports indoor and outdoor deployment scenarios. The DBS3900 boasts high performance, large capacity, high reliability, and smooth transitive evolution.

Large capacity: With large capacity and wide-band module, a single base station can provide a significant/substantial data rate throughput of 10 Gbit/s.

Hiccup:
    The DBS3900 supports high data rates.
    20 MHz per cell
    , respectively. For coverage of remote sites such as offshore drilling platforms, the DBS3900 can
    provide ultra-long-distance coverage up to 100 kilometers. For railways, the DBS3900 provides up to 430 km/h
    high-speed train coverage.

Time Division Duplex (TDD): 400 MHz/1.4 GHz/1.8 GHz/2.3 GHz
    Frequency Division Duplex (FDD): 800 MHz

3.5Ghz may be an alternate RRU that could yield better throughput.

In any case I'm pretty sure you know more about this than I.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Assuming you're talking about FTTH, it's a good bit more complicated than that. Exchanges have to be upgraded. Planning permission has to be got for new exchanges. New exchanges have to be put in (possibly bigger than the older ones as more people would be subscribing to FTTH further out from the exchange. Exchanges have to get electricity from ESB. Fibre has to be put through to each exchange. Planning permission has to be got to bring fibre from other places (although I am pretty sure most of the country's exchanges have fibre connected up to them - I could be wrong). The fibre cable has to be physically brought from the exchange to the customers house.Equipment has to be fitted and installed in everyone's house (see picture)... The list goes on..

The one added complication to Fibre that doesn't exist with Copper is the fact that it cannot be cut and just soldered back together. If it breaks, it is more complicated and has to be either spliced back together perfect or replaced. Otherwise there would be a huge loss in speed

Oh wow, pretty much every single thing you said above is wrong and the complete opposite to reality!

FTTH doesn't require more exchanges and larger exchanges, in fact if Eir were allowed to replace their copper network with a Fibre, they would actually need much smaller exchanges and less exchanges.

ADSL only reaches out to 7km, FTTH GPON reaches out to 20km and can do further with powered repeaters. So potentially Eir could close 3 or 4 exchanges and have just one cover the same area with FTTH. Now I don;t think they will do that, but they could if they wanted too.

FTTH OLT's take up incredibly little room in exchanges, vastly less room then copper. Once Eir decommisions the copper network, most exchanges will be big empty rooms with just a small rack in one corner with the OLT.

In fact in time, I suspect Eir could move the OLT's out of the exchange and into cabinets next to the exchange and sell off the exchange building for property development. This could potentially go a long way to help Eir pay for the cost of the FTTH network, in fact they might even be able to pay for the complete FTTH rollout and make a profit from it.

FTTH gear only uses a fraction of the space copper does. And BTW all the required OLT's are pretty much already in place in most exchanges as they were required anyway for the VDSL/FTTC network.

As for electricity. Not a problem, every exchange in Ireland already has electricity and as I said above no new exchanges are required.

In fact, again, once the copper network is decommissioned, FTTH gear actually uses a lot less power then copper.

One of the major advantages of FTTH GPON is that it is a passive network. That means that the splitters in the field (outside the exchange) don't require any power, it is all completely passive and relatively low power.

As for needing planning permission. No planning is needed for new exchanges as no new exchanges are required. Also Eir needs no planning permission to push fiber through existing ducts and on their existing poles, so no planning required there.

Rolling out FTTH actually requires less planning permission, less space, less active equipment in the field then VDSL does.

Another aspect to consider is that when Eir decommission the copper network, they can pull the copper out and recycle it. Copper has very significant value on the metals markets, it could well go a long way to pay for the FTTH network.

Finally the ongoing operating and maintenance costs of FTTH is vastly less then a copper network. I've seen reports that show that FTTH network can pay for itself after just 10 years due to much lower opex costs.

As for being able to repair fiber. Yes it requires new skills and equipment, but Eir is quickly gaining these with their FTTH rollout and repairs shouldn't be a big deal going forward.

Now I'm not saying rolling out FTTH will be cheap or easy. But it certainly isn't for the reasons you state above.

In the long term FTTH makes absolute financial sense, specially if they are allowed to replace the copper network with it. And one way or another it is going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Yes fibre can go pole to pole along with a support cable, if a tree fell on the cable it would simply replace a length of the fibre and splice both ends... Splicing takes seconds...I have seen it first hand..splicing that is...

I heard that the lads over in B4RN have what they call JFDI (Just Fcuking Do It) videos for farmers and the like to be able to splice the fibre in the event of a break. They keep the repair gear distributed around their network, so it can be retrieved quickly.

bk wrote: »
    Oh wow, pretty much every single thing you said above is wrong and the complete opposite to reality!

FTTH doesn't require more exchanges and larger exchanges, in fact if Eir were allowed to replace their copper network with a Fibre, they would actually need much smaller exchanges and less exchanges.

ADSL only reaches out to 7km, FTTH GPON reaches out to 20km and can do further with powered repeaters. So potentially Eir could close 3 or 4 exchanges and have just one cover the same area with FTTH. Now I don;t think they will do that, but they could if they wanted too.

FTTH OLT's take up incredibly little room in exchanges, vastly less room then copper. Once Eir decommisions the copper network, most exchanges will be big empty rooms with just a small rack in one corner with the OLT.

In fact in time, I suspect Eir could move the OLT's out of the exchange and into cabinets next to the exchange and sell off the exchange building for property development. This could potentially go a long way to help Eir pay for the cost of the FTTH network, in fact they might even be able to pay for the complete FTTH rollout and make a profit from it.

FTTH gear only uses a fraction of the space copper does. And BTW all the required OLT's are pretty much already in place in most exchanges as they were required anyway for the VDSL/FTTC network.

As for electricity. Not a problem, every exchange in Ireland already has electricity and as I said above no new exchanges are required.

In fact, again, once the copper network is decommissioned, FTTH gear actually uses a lot less power then copper.

One of the major advantages of FTTH GPON is that it is a passive network. That means that the splitters in the field (outside the exchange) don't require any power, it is all completely passive and relatively low power.

As for needing planning permission. No planning is needed for new exchanges as no new exchanges are required. Also Eir needs no planning permission to push fiber through existing ducts and on their existing poles, so no planning required there.

Rolling out FTTH actually requires less planning permission, less space, less active equipment in the field then VDSL does.

Another aspect to consider is that when Eir decommission the copper network, they can pull the copper out and recycle it. Copper has very significant value on the metals markets, it could well go a long way to pay for the FTTH network.

Finally the ongoing operating and maintenance costs of FTTH is vastly less then a copper network. I've seen reports that show that FTTH network can pay for itself after just 10 years due to much lower opex costs.

As for being able to repair fiber. Yes it requires new skills and equipment, but Eir is quickly gaining these with their FTTH rollout and repairs shouldn't be a big deal going forward.

Now I'm not saying rolling out FTTH will be cheap or easy. But it certainly isn't for the reasons you state above.

In the long term FTTH makes absolute financial sense, specially if they are allowed to replace the copper network with it. And one way or another it is going to happen.

Oops! :eek: I was thinking there would be a lot more people needing to be connected that don't have any phone line at all. I also thought the FTTH would be connected into the new VDSL exchanges (and that they would need bigger ones with more connection. Do they not have to leave the copper there and let people use the line for just phone (needing double the connections one fibre one copper for another few years anyway) or is anyone getting FTTH getting their phone over fibre too?

Judging by what they are doing with their 300,000 home rollout they are only closing a small number if any. In this way if there is a fibre break, it may only affect say 5,000 people in a 5km radius instead of 20,000 in a 20km radius.

I thought they might need planning if they want to push out further into the countryside? Although above I forgot I was in the NBP thread not the rural FTTH thread so it's probably not going to be an issue at all for NBP.

I do fully agree that once set-up fibre is way ahead of any other technology and is cheap to run. I never said that it didn't make financial sense or anything. I am actually all for it. I was just replying to the OP who thought it was simpler than it actually is.

Thanks for correcting me though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭plodder

Throughout is marketing speak for "in more than one place".

• Advertisement

I think the Department WAS told by industry in 2015 that the 2020 deadline was unrealistic. Whether there is any reality to their recent statements that it can be done quicker remains to be seen.
    siVN0Jd.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Oops! :eek: I was thinking there would be a lot more people needing to be connected that don't have any phone line at all. I also thought the FTTH would be connected into the new VDSL exchanges (and that they would need bigger ones with more connection. Do they not have to leave the copper there and let people use the line for just phone (needing double the connections one fibre one copper for another few years anyway) or is anyone getting FTTH getting their phone over fibre too?

The OLT's (optical line terminals) are in the exchanges, not in the VDSL FTTC cabs.

In fact strictly speaking the VDSL FTTC cabs have nothing to do with FTTH. Now in building the FTTC cabs, Eir has future proofed them by running extra fibers to each cab, which in turn will be used in future for FTTH. However those cabs absolutely are not required for FTTH. In fact eventually when 100% of homes go FTTH, they will be able to remove all those FTTC cabs.

Almost every home in Ireland has a copper phone line (it is required of Eir under the Universal Service Obligation, USO). Now the number of people who actually pay for phone service and have an activate line has dropped to about 65% of homes, however the other 35% of homes still have a line, even if it isn't active and it can normally be activated if needed.

You are partly correct, at the moment, every home has to continue to have a copper line in addition to the fiber line, due to the USO rules. However at the moment Comreg are consulting on this and in reality they will likely allow Eir to remove the copper lines when they put a FTTH line in place.

FTTH can of course carry phone service, though via VoIP rather then POTS and there are issues to be worked out (support for old services like fax, etc. competitive access, etc.) but I'm certain it can all be worked out.

If Eir are allowed to decommission the old copper network, it will make rolling FTTH out far more financially viable.
    Judging by what they are doing with their 300,000 home rollout they are only closing a small number if any. In this way if there is a fibre break, it may only affect say 5,000 people in a 5km radius instead of 20,000 in a 20km radius.

Oh I agree and that is what they are doing and it is the right thing to do. I was jsut making the point that if they wantd to they could actually reduce the number of exchanges with FTTH and they migt well do that once the copper network is eventually removed.

I thought they might need planning if they want to push out further into the countryside? Although above I forgot I was in the NBP thread not the rural FTTH thread so it's probably not going to be an issue at all for NBP.

Mostly they are using existing ducts and existing phone poles, so no planning permission required. There may well be the odd bit here and there, but even then it isn't actually planning permission they require, it is a road closing order, which are relatively very easy and quick for them to get.

New ducts and poles don't actually require planning permission either.

I do fully agree that once set-up fibre is way ahead of any other technology and is cheap to run. I never said that it didn't make financial sense or anything. I am actually all for it. I was just replying to the OP who thought it was simpler than it actually is.

While it isn't "cheap" to do, it actually isn't that difficult either. Not for Eir who already have a massive, deep fiber network and have a massive duct and pole network already in place. It would be a lot more difficult for other companies to do.

It will take time and money, but in the end it is very much in Eir's long term financial interest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

fantastic coverage by the Independent, finally the media are taking it seriously demonstrating that the lack of broadband outside of our large towns and cities is starting to turn into a crisis for many reasons.

The whereandwhen pages on the fibrerollout website is now updated giving an approx number of premises upgraded to FTTH on a county by county basis within the next year. http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

bk wrote: »
    Mostly they are using existing ducts and existing phone poles, so no planning permission required.
    When I was buying my house which is along a private road, my solicitor raised an issue because the wayleave to the house did not specifically state which services had a wayleave. He said in his experience the wayleave always specifies the services. Have no legal backgound myself.........

When I was buying my house which is along a private road, my solicitor raised an issue because the wayleave to the house did not specifically state which services had a wayleave. He said in his experience the wayleave always specifies the services. Have no legal backgound myself.........

On your personal property a wayleave doesn't transfer ownership with the property (or so I've been told, also not a lawyer). But the ducts BK is talking about is the street side ones, not private ones.

I think the Department WAS told by industry in 2015 that the 2020 deadline was unrealistic. Whether there is any reality to their recent statements that it can be done quicker remains to be seen.
    Jaysus! could you not turn the image around:eek:...now im going to have to save the image and flip it myself....:pac:

On your personal property a wayleave doesn't transfer ownership with the property (or so I've been told, also not a lawyer). But the ducts BK is talking about is the street side ones, not private ones.
    I'm just pointing out that a programme this size is bound to throw up lots and lots of problems. There are three houses down my private road alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭plodder

He has, for example, suggested a new focus on additional 4G rollout "in the interim" while the National Broadband Plan slowly wends its way to its 2022 completion date.
    As well as working with state agencies like the Office for Public Works, ComReg has been tasked with facilitating spectrum licensing to ensure wireless solutions can be used where fibre is unfeasible.
    “In the meantime, we need a uniform system in terms of constructing 4G masts, a proper process and timeline for accessing poles and ducting and accessing state-owned infrastructure.”
    Lots of wireless talk in there. Are we gearing up for an interim, NBP-lite, with < 100% coverage guarantees?

If its only dropped by 6 months its middle of 2021....;)

It could only be imagine if they went the fibre route..

No what I am saying is Imagine will be among the shortlisted bidders in order to prevent them cry foul and run off crying to the EU that there "solution" was ignored.

No what I am saying is Imagine will be among the shortlisted bidders in order to prevent them cry foul and run off crying to the EU that there "solution" was ignored.
    we shall see in a couple of weeks..

From reading that, it seems that having two departments on the job is going to be very beneficial

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

Not sure you're fully correct there:

This in itself isnt proof, they could be hub sites but if you look at the COMREG map for 3.5G Imagine sites you'll find the majority are centred around medium towns etc or in places like Templemore where the Tetra site will likely be fed over a fixed network. So the name could be honest in that the first hop is directly onto SDH.

Also:

Hiccup:

3.5Ghz may be an alternate RRU that could yield better throughput.

In any case I'm pretty sure you know more about this than I.

Vodafone were on colo towers on Ballyhoura and Bweeng. They built their own SDH towers there in order to move off the colo towers. These are hub sites but I know for a fact there is no fibre in Ballyhoura (not from ESB - no tower there, BT or Eir). Imagine are on the Towercom site there, using Aviat microwave to Mallow. Not sure about Bweeng.

Of course Imagine have loads of older 3.5GHz sites. These were typically ESB towers in substations in towns and have the Wimax kit on them. These are fed by fibre or Ceragon IP10 microwave links.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Oh I likey this - I likey this very much:
    8. A search database to tell you when you will finally get your broadband is in the works

Once the final plan has been agreed with the operator(s) that wins the contract, officials at the Department of Communications said that people will be able to access a web database and put in their Eircode and they will receive up to the minute information on when their broadband will arrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Hmm thats interesting can't wait to find out that we will be connected in 2022 >.>
    8. A search database to tell you when you will finally get your broadband is in the works

Once the final plan has been agreed with the operator(s) that wins the contract, officials at the Department of Communications said that people will be able to access a web database and put in their Eircode and they will receive up to the minute information on when their broadband will arrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

An interesting piece from the first article:
    It isn't widely known, for instance, that an EU law is about to take effect that requires utility companies to make their infrastructure available for broadband firms providing cheaper and speedier rural rollout.

It seems to refer to this directive 2014/61/EU

A summary of the directive is here

I wonder were Gigabit Fibre and even enet relying on this coming into force? EU countries must apply most measures from the 1st July. I assume Comreg will be the arbiter in any dispute. It will be interesting to see how the ESB reacts.

The ESB have a fair bit of clout, they'll be slow to do anything they don't want to. Their plant is genuinely dangerous so its easy to claim safety and do nothing if they so wish.

OpenEir won't have that luxury, probably why we saw them offer Duct/Plant access as a RAP.

The ESB have a fair bit of clout, they'll be slow to do anything they don't want to. Their plant is genuinely dangerous so its easy to claim safety and do nothing if they so wish.

OpenEir won't have that luxury, probably why we saw them offer Duct/Plant access as a RAP.
    Yes the ESB will say no problems, you can use our powerlines, But we wont be switching off the power for you..whats that, you don't have working live skills...well tough titty.. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/cost-reduction-measures
    Member States have until 1 January 2016 to transpose the Directive into national legislation. From 1 July 2016 on, Member States shall generally apply those measures.

So this should already be in Irish legislation ....... any indication that it is? or that it will become active from 1 July?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

Contractors can be trained to work outside " the close proximity zone" and do the work. Power lines and telecom lines share poles in other countries.
    Specialist will be required.
    It can be done.

G79znDk.jpg

https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/cost-reduction-measures

So this should already be in Irish legislation ....... any indication that it is? or that it will become active from 1 July?

I could find nothing on http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ about it anyway...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnboy1951 View Post
    https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-...ction-measures

I could find nothing on http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ about it anyway...

It's here, see section 3, http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2014/act/5/enacted/en/pdf .

Ritz

ESB (ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS NETWORKS) ACT 2014

Board may provide access to its electricity infrastructure to another company

3. The Board may provide to any company—
    (a) access to any electricity infrastructure of the Board to enable the company to
    develop electronic communications networks and electronic communications
    services, and
    (b) services of any nature to facilitate such development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The Ritz wrote: »

I am a little surprised that this is aimed only at the ESB (from the little I read), whereas the EU directive is more broadly aimed -
    As per the directive, network operators are providers of public communications networks, but also utilities, be it for energy, public heating, water, waste water or transport.

Does that mean there will be more of these on the same lines for other 'network operators'?

Yes the ESB will say no problems, you can use our powerlines, But we wont be switching off the power for you..whats that, you don't have working live skills...well tough titty.. :D

There are private companies that seem to have experience working with power lines.

http://www.obelisk.com

http://knnetworkservices.com

are just two I know of offhand. Hopefully this legislation is powerful enough to do what it is intended for. For if eir are forced to share their infrastructure and the ESB are not and Siro win part or all of the NBP then expect legal challenges. eir have already warned of this:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057517512

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement